PDA

View Full Version : texting while driving

mommyd
09-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Ok so someone mentioned this to me the other day and i'm just thinking in my head NO one texts while they are driving. To me that just sounds like an obomination lol for lack of a better word. That's like reading a book while you're driving! I mean, talking on the phone creates accidents and you can keep your eyes on the rd in order to do that. So i'm just thinking there is no one stupid enough to text while they are driving.

Well i just got done watching Dr. Phil and it was about texting while driving.. So i had to watch it lol. I guess a few months ago 5 girls died because the driver of the car was texting, and they hit head on with a transport truck. So we know that texting while driving can cause a tragedy like this.

On the show was a 16 year old girl (chelsea) who says they died because they "weren't good texters" and that she knows she is a good texter and a good driver (even tho within 4 months of having her licence she hit a curb, almost hit a kid, got an over 100 dollar ticket for going 80 in a 50 and a couple other things i can't remember, all while texting ) all she says is.. yeah but they weren't that bad. No one got hurt. Then they had this 19 year old guy on who at 17 was texting while driving and hit a 63 year old bicyleist and killed him. It's ruined his life, not because he's in jail (he spent 10 days in jail and is on 4 years probation, and talked to numerous schools on texting and driving) but because killing someone over something so stupid as texting will just eat you up inside.

None of this seemed to fase chelsea.. oh.. but she did get upset when dr phil told her mother that she HAS to take the phone away from her. Because chelsea said that if she was to get a text message while driving she would have to answer it. "You just can't ignore a text message".

OMG all i wanted to do was punch this girl in the face and tell her that she is one of the most selfish, spoiled little piece of -----.

ALL she was upset about was that her mother was going to take her phone away!! WHY CAN'T SHE IGNORE A TEXT MESSAGE UNTLI SHE IS NOT DRIVING!!!!!?????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????

I hope none of you text whle driving. I don't care if you are good at it. Even ppl who are excellent drivers and pay 100% attention to the rd can find themselves in an accident.

pocketcatchers
09-10-2007, 09:04 PM
I think at the very least the mother should remove the text messaging feature off of the phone. Text messaging is a luxury as far as i'm concerned and i don't have it on my phone.

dan j
09-11-2007, 08:20 AM
Why Chelsea??? Why can't you just ignore a text message?????

Cherry Pop
09-11-2007, 09:05 AM
I personally think cell phone usage should be banned while driving. There is no arguement that could convince me that it's ok to text or talk on the phone while driving! Driving takes concentration and sorry but if you're talking on the phone or texting than that is taking away your concentration on driving! I also see no reason why people can't pull over into a parking lot and put their car in park if they need to make a call or send a text message.

JustWatching
09-11-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm going to take a different spin on things regarding why (SOME) people use cell phones (talking/texting) while driving.

Does anyone else think that sometimes because we have become so accessible people EXPECT to be able to contact us any minute of the day. For example...bosses...especially for people in Management...the expectation with the cell phones given to you from a company almost make you feel like you can't let the phone go to voice mail...they need answers immediatley...they expect you to pick up when it rings.

I personally don't agree....but I know several people in that position....this is not to give anyone an excuse for driving while talking/texting....but just thought I'd throw that out there...

lizard_lover
09-11-2007, 09:46 AM
I think it is terrible, no excuse. When not at work, you should not be obligated to answer those calls. End of story...especially while driving. I know I am sort of mean to that, but I had a man drive through the first floor of my house a couple of years back because his boss called and he was reaching for his cell phone, and when he bent down and turned his body, he turned the wheel as well.

dan j
09-11-2007, 09:58 AM
What about Chelsea? Her social network requires constant open communication between peers.

leeleemom
09-11-2007, 10:00 AM
They have banned cell phones in schools....they should do something about driving and using them!

orange
09-11-2007, 10:17 AM
What about Chelsea? Her social network requires constant open communication between peers.

The Twitter web service is so aptly named :) Twits like Chelsea are probably big users of it.

Adam-07
09-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Talking on a cell in a car has gotten better with blue tooth and speaker phone type devices but none the less still distracts you a lot from driving. Now I cannot imagine people having a low enough IQ to text while driving.... This has to be the worst distraction people can do. This takes your eyes off the road and I have no sympathy for people who get into trouble for doing this, I had my semester 1 math teacher and supposed to be semester 2 homeroom teacher in my grade 9 year at Hampton High die in an accident because he took his eyes off the road trying to get something off the floor. Now this wasn't from text messaging but they are related because both take the eyes of the driver off the road.

mommyd
09-11-2007, 01:34 PM
I think that ppl should put as their voice mail message that they are either busy or driving and that is the reason for not answering the phone. If employers and clients can't respect that, that's their problem.

Also, anyone else driving on the rd NOT using their cell phones is not in the least bit concerned about whether your boss gets to talk to you asap :) They are concerned with getting to their destination alive and well, along with their vehicules.

Mandi
09-11-2007, 01:38 PM
This reminds me of an episode of wife swap where the 14 year old kid was like 'I'll kill myself if they take my phone away'. So so tragic that some people think that way.

lizard_lover
09-11-2007, 01:38 PM
adam-07 I was at Hampton high as well when Mr. Caulkin died, and it was tragic. I wish more people would take that sort of thing into consideration..too bad it usually takes a personal experience with this sort of thing for people to get it...

mommyd
09-11-2007, 01:41 PM
i also wish that it wouldn't take a number of deaths before the govt or whoever decides to make laws against such things AND enforce them.

The_Dave
09-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Ok so someone mentioned this to me the other day and i'm just thinking in my head NO one texts while they are driving. To me that just sounds like an obomination lol for lack of a better word. That's like reading a book while you're driving! I mean, talking on the phone creates accidents and you can keep your eyes on the rd in order to do that. So i'm just thinking there is no one stupid enough to text while they are driving.

Well i just got done watching Dr. Phil and it was about texting while driving.. So i had to watch it lol. I guess a few months ago 5 girls died because the driver of the car was texting, and they hit head on with a transport truck. So we know that texting while driving can cause a tragedy like this.

On the show was a 16 year old girl (chelsea) who says they died because they "weren't good texters" and that she knows she is a good texter and a good driver (even tho within 4 months of having her licence she hit a curb, almost hit a kid, got an over 100 dollar ticket for going 80 in a 50 and a couple other things i can't remember, all while texting ) all she says is.. yeah but they weren't that bad. No one got hurt. Then they had this 19 year old guy on who at 17 was texting while driving and hit a 63 year old bicyleist and killed him. It's ruined his life, not because he's in jail (he spent 10 days in jail and is on 4 years probation, and talked to numerous schools on texting and driving) but because killing someone over something so stupid as texting will just eat you up inside.

None of this seemed to fase chelsea.. oh.. but she did get upset when dr phil told her mother that she HAS to take the phone away from her. Because chelsea said that if she was to get a text message while driving she would have to answer it. "You just can't ignore a text message".

OMG all i wanted to do was punch this girl in the face and tell her that she is one of the most selfish, spoiled little piece of -----.

ALL she was upset about was that her mother was going to take her phone away!! WHY CAN'T SHE IGNORE A TEXT MESSAGE UNTLI SHE IS NOT DRIVING!!!!!?????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????

I hope none of you text whle driving. I don't care if you are good at it. Even ppl who are excellent drivers and pay 100% attention to the rd can find themselves in an accident.

It is called Paris Hilton syndrome. All the young girls have it today. They want all the perks the beautiful hollywood people have today, unfortunately it causes them to have no brains. I blame the parents for this, by allowing their daughters to grow up this way. Absolutely Ridiculous.