PDA

View Full Version : Salvation Army drop off bins

SVTF
09-09-2007, 07:56 PM
So the wife and I packed up the car today to go over and drop off some stuff at the east side bins. Usually we drop the items off right in the store cause then we know they get to where they need to go and to people who need them. Well today we pull up to the store and it being a Sunday it is closed, we look across at the bins and there are two cars out in front of the bins. Can you guess what they were doing??

This makes me so mad … They were ripping through every bag on the ground around the bins and loading up their cars…

And these were newer cars… and from appearance they did not seem like the type of people that would be in need of any of the items being dropped off.

I wish I would have had my camera on me because I would have snapped a couple of pictures and posted them as well.

So instead we went around to value village and dropped off the few items we had.

tag
09-09-2007, 07:58 PM
I know that there are a few ppl here that do that and then resell claiming they need to, to support themselves..whatever..its stealing

Woofer
09-09-2007, 08:25 PM
i donate mine to the free clothing depo uptown, "the street just before the ymca". they dont sell them, they give them free to anyone who goes there. .
i prefer if i donate them that they go to people who cant afford buying used clothes, but then again thats just me. :)

Disneyland
09-09-2007, 08:43 PM
You are correct it is stealing, take down the plate and call the police.

luv2shop
09-09-2007, 09:22 PM
Calling the police doesn't do any good. I had gone to the flea marker one Sunday to sell things. With my left over items I decided I was going to drop them off at a Salvation bin located in Quispamsis. As I was unloading the items near the bin(as the bin was full) this "well dressed" lady started going through my items. I told her that they were not for her and she replied "too bad". I wrote down her license plate number and I called the Rothesay police when I got home. They told me that once I sat those items down they now belonged to the Salvation Army and I would have to contact them to see if they wanted to press charges. Needless to say, I no longer drop items off there. I donate to my communtity and they give to people they know who can use them.

kb
09-09-2007, 09:49 PM
we take all of our clothes we no longer need to romero house i'm pretty sure it goes to good use they do take clothes!!!!!!!!!!!

jdcb
09-09-2007, 10:00 PM
Actually, it's not stealing. It would be stealing if they were taken out of the bins themselves. But items on the ground around the bins are not considered properly donated, thus it is not legally considered stealing.

Not saying I do this or like people doing this, but facts are facts. I either make sure what I put there goes into the bin, or into the store.

sarahnb
09-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Part of the problem is when people drop items off. It's a little more inconvenient to do it when the SA is open but at least they don't get stolen or ruined by the weather. I drive by often and a lot of what is sitting outside the bins is garbage but people are too lazy or cheap to take it to the dump. That costs the SA, a charity, money that they could use to help people. Plenty of SA stores have closed because of the fees for waste.

trinity
09-10-2007, 12:23 PM
yes, we have been all over this in previous posts and incarnations of ISJ. The stuff ON the ground OUTSIDE is fair game for opportunists. While it may be intended for the SA, if it aint in the bins, it aint theirs. Period. No, it is neither right, fair or decent, but it happens.
And don't let the "well dressed-ness" of someone fool you, if I hadn't started this job today, in about 6-8 weeks I would have been down to nothing and possibly even sooner, (less if I had children) as for some reason EI decided my 6 weeks severance pay plus 3 weeks vacation pay equals 15-17 weeks before I am eligible to see one red cent. I would have had a closet full of very pricey and dressy clothes from when I was working and not 10$ to my name.

mizunderstood
09-10-2007, 02:35 PM
I know trinity i have been in your shoes a time or two. But lets just hope that that well dressed person was honestly down and out and not just trying to make an easy buck. I also donate all my used items to romero house or hestia house or some pleace like that. I really don't like all these places that you donate things to help the less fortunate and then they sell them (usually way over priced)

LiLLY
09-10-2007, 04:53 PM
I donate all my clothes, no longer needed items ets, to the Hestia house or Romero house that way I know they are being given to the people who need them.

beefy
09-23-2007, 09:11 PM
I donate all my clothes, no longer needed items ets, to the Hestia house or Romero house that way I know they are being given to the people who need them.

I've heard this all before about people picking through the stuff at the SA bins. Has there been any posts about people usin these bins as their personal dumpsters. I hope someone other than me has been taking notice of the garbage that is being dropped at these bins, e.g. old bbq's, broken tv's, filthy mattresses. This is just another way of people using the needs of others to dump their trash and look good to other people who see them placing stuff at the bins.......... beefy

care1978
10-09-2007, 01:55 PM
i personally never donate to the SA bc they sell the items, i would much rather give it to romero house, if i wanted the things i was donating to be sold, then i would sell them myself, i find SA is over priced on a lot of their things, a single boxspring and mattress is about $300, i would have thought that there would have been some sort of leniency on the price considering all the items are "donated".
but thats just my oppinion

dittydottie
10-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Just to let you know yes the box spring and mattresses maybe $300.00 but they are not used but new.The plastic from the factory is on them.

The_Dave
10-09-2007, 06:31 PM
i personally never donate to the SA bc they sell the items, i would much rather give it to romero house, if i wanted the things i was donating to be sold, then i would sell them myself, i find SA is over priced on a lot of their things, a single boxspring and mattress is about $300, i would have thought that there would have been some sort of leniency on the price considering all the items are "donated".
but thats just my oppinion

The mattresses and boxsprings are not donated, they may get a better price from the manufacturer of these products, but they are definitely not donated. The Manufacturer probably does this to help give back to the community.

AreWeThereYetMom
10-09-2007, 06:53 PM
At the north end Salvation Army, many folks drop off mountains of things over the weekend while the store is closed.

Their bins were removed out of the parking lot ages ago, so folks now drop things off in front of the store windows making a mess of the sidewalk.
What an absolute, disgusting mess, not only from the obvious falling apart garbage that is donated, but from the looters that literally rip the bags wide open and walk off with small and large items that were intended for the SA to raise funds for their charities. A nasty job for the employees there to salvage anything worth keeping.

They do have a phone number where they will arrange a pickup at your address. A family member tried to use this service in the past - Of 3 local charities that have cube vans that do neighborhood pickup, she experienced one where it took over a week for them to return the phone call, a second charity truck was very prompt on it's pickup, and the third charity truck was rumored to rummage through the truck before it made it's way to it's charity drop off location.

Cartersmom
10-09-2007, 10:42 PM
This makes me sick too. You feel like you're doing a good thing by donating quality items..then the bins are ALWAYS FULL ..even when the store is open..what is that about?? Then the SA says Don't leave anything except in the bins. well we know but its not fun driving around for weeks waiting for the bins to be emptied either.
And the people who are stealing from the SA..yes technically nothing can be done but these people are lousy thiefs in my book. Look what the service id there for. They KNOW without a doubt that peeople dropped them off for the SA> and the SA puts a charge on the items. Hopefully karma will take a large chunk out of them (esp the ones stealing and re-selling for profit).

dan j
10-09-2007, 11:47 PM
I dropped off a bunch of stuff a few weeks ago when I moved. A lot of the stuff was really good but I didn't have the time to post it on here for someone to take or the time to sell even though it was worth something. I was just happy for a place to get rid of it and when I dropped it off there were people there who were pretty happy and told me so to see the stuff I was dropping off. I didn't like it but at the same time I was just happy to get rid of my stuff that I didn't want any longer. I was glad it was eventually going to get reused rather than thrown into the dump.

AreWeThereYetMom
11-11-2007, 01:02 AM
A most disturbing event witnessed recently... woman driving a sedan pulls over to the curb... motions her son (about 8 or 9 years old) to get out of the car, he runs over to the pile of clothes and grabs a girls suede coat and gets back in the car and they drive away.
Will she resell it or give to someone in need?
Who knows, but what could she possibly be thinking in making the child do the running :(