PDA

View Full Version : Thin - Thick Hair

Pumpkin
01-06-2007, 10:53 PM
I am curious. Is there any way to increase the thickness of your hair naturally. Like by eating certain foods, ect...? Or to atleast strengthen your hair so that it does not break so easily?

Thanks

tred816
01-08-2007, 11:54 AM
I have wickedly thick curly hair and my mother always said the hairdresser said that thinning it at the salon with thinning shears makes it grow in thicker. I don't know if there's any truth to it, but if my hair's an example, then I'd say it worked like a charm. lol

Pumpkin
01-08-2007, 09:25 PM
My hair is too thin to thin, lol. But thanks for the suggestion!! I have heard wearing your hair in a braid alot helps..but I can't see me wearing my hair in a braid all the time...I would get headaches after awhile! Besides it makes my face looked sucked out, haha.
Anyways, again thanks for the suggestion!!!

tryshc
01-08-2007, 09:39 PM
eat healthy food that are high in protein and all that good stuff....there3's a difference..if you have thin hair and a lot of it or coarse hair..i have a ton and a half of hair...straight....drives me NUTS

maggie_sj
01-14-2007, 12:03 PM
I am a hair stylist, and sorry girls.. but the only way to make your hair " appear" thicker is by using product... eg. mouse for volume...other than that.. it just cant be done!!

Pumpkin
01-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Ok so what product is good to use to volumize my hair? I would love that tip!! if you don't mind that is!! And, so if product makes it appear thicker, what actually thickens the hair. One person said protein.... but does it actually work I wonder. Have you tried it? Or no someone who has thickened their hair by one way or another...

Thanks muchly All!!!!!!

hiph0p
01-14-2007, 10:11 PM
anything you buy at a hair salon , because most the stuff you can get at walmart is junk , Bedhead is my favorite (you can get it at the salon or walmart) although its expensive it works! go to regis in the mall and ask them i buy all my products there and also the store beside GMC in the mall across from Charms :) hope that helps

tred816
01-15-2007, 04:36 PM
be careful with the bedhead stuff. I was total grossed out as it was flaky when it dried and looked like I had dandruff. I didn't like that. (who would?) lol

hiph0p
01-15-2007, 05:15 PM
I've been buying Stiff %$#^ and bedhead for years and never had that problem sorry to hear about that i had the same problem with herbal essences i hate their shampoo and conditionaire , and i dont know why everyone loves pantine pro V , the conditionaire is nothing but wax whats why your hair feels so silky after you use it and then goes really dry im stuck with conditionaires i've been trying every kind out there lately :(

christine chittick
01-16-2007, 08:57 PM
i have extreme thin, long straight hair, and i hate it. it breaks easily, i get split ends (not that bad now - i dont use hairsprays etc. and i dont use heat to my hair at all) probably part of the problem. I have always had baby thin hair though. :( I can't even keep a perm in longer than 3wks.

maggie_sj
01-23-2007, 05:55 PM
for long ,thin hair. try going shorter, to give it some bounce! and layers help too.. and to thicken up your locks, try anything by "redken" its an amazing line of products, i swear by it!
and one more thing.. anything u buy in a grocery store does nothing good for your hair. it only puts junk in your hair that ways it down making it lifeless!! and try flipping your head upside down when you blowdry!

Pumpkin
01-23-2007, 11:46 PM
That is me, long thin hair, curly or straight depending on how I wear it, natural curl .... and I have it past my shoulders in layers, seems to help a bit. But I was hoping by eating certain foods or viatmins, if it would promote thicker hair...

marriedchickie
01-24-2007, 06:42 AM
My favorite line for hair care is RUSK...I use a lot of product in my hair and was told my hair stylist that i have to put the moisture and protein back in my hair to keep it healthy. If you're in the shower, towel dry your hair a bit before puttin in the conditioner...your hair is already full of water and doesn't get the pproteins and what-not from the conditioner. I also get REDKEN deep fuel (which is deep conditioning treatment), and put it in my hair and put it in a shower cap...i then use my old fashioned hood dryer (ON LOW) and sit and relax under it. Rinse your hair and you have yourself some NICE HAIR. I am a color junkie and love my hair being different colors quite a bit. All that stuff can do major damage to the hair. SO, I condition, condition, condition.

The stuff at wal-mart and drugstores, it has a waxy coating that does nothing for your hair. And sorry guys, RO-GAIN does not make new hair. It unclogs the area where your hair grows and "frees it".

So, thick hair, thin hair, straight, curly....we have what we have...you can't change it, so have fun with it.

maprince
01-25-2007, 11:50 PM
I found this website which may be of some help. I got curious too after reading your post. There are foods for almost everything so why not hair?

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art1798.asp

I'm going to try this too for my hair!

Pumpkin
01-28-2007, 11:19 PM
Thanks for that website!! and to those who added their tips!!!

See, I do have a poor diet, and lost a lot of weight in a short period of time and though I am not vegitarian I am not a big meat eater. I do love my veggies tho, hehe. That is why I asked if it can be something to do with diet. But, I am wondering now, if your hair is already beaten down if is can "get back up" by changing the diet.

Thanks again all!

toodles
01-29-2007, 07:15 AM
your hair is fed from the foods you eat.. if you notice in the summer time your hair grows faster than winter, in the summer time you seem to eat healthier, but just don't notice it.... what goes throug your blood goes to your hair as well... when i was wroking in a salon i found joico the best product for fine hair... if you are on a lot of meds that will effect your hair as well, anything in blood stream goes to your hair... i have been hairdrsser for over 30 years. ps,,,the one about using thining shears to thicken your hair.. your hairs grows from the inside not the outside...think of hair as a flower,,, when you trim it, it makes it healther,, like a flower when you clip it the moisture goes through and helps to preserve the flower, same as hair...

scuddles
01-29-2007, 08:33 AM
toodles pm'd you.

kimbey76
02-02-2007, 10:48 AM
a conditioner that i love is kpac, the shampoo and the conditioner are both awesome if i had to choose one product i would always have it would be kpac daily conditioner, it makes your hair so shiny and soft and it is good for your hair too, you have to buy it at salons

bmt337
02-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is an ingredient that causes the suds in shampoos, etc. This inexpensive detergent is commonly used in cosmetic cleansers, hair shampoos, bath and shower gels, bubble baths. In the cleaning industry SLS is used in garage floor cleaners, engine degreasers, car-wash soaps, etc.
It is probably the most dangerous ingredient used in skin and hair-care products today. And yet people have never heard about it. It is very corrosive and readily attacks greasy surfaces including hair. A study at the University of Georgia Medical College, indicated that SLS penetrated into the eyes as well as the brain, heart, liver, etc. showed long-term retention in the tissues. The study also indicated that SLS penetrated young children's eyes and prevented them from developing properly and caused cataracts to develop in adults. Sodium lauryl sulfate is used throughout the world for clinical testing as a primary skin irritant. Laboratories use it to irritate skin on test animals and humans so that they may then test creams and ointments to see how effective they are on the irritated skin. Sodium Lauryl and Sodium Laureth Sulfate can cause hair loss by attacking the follicle. Classified as a drug in bubble baths because it eats away skin protection, it can cause rashes and infection to occur. If you check the back of a bottle of Johnsons Baby Shampoo it is listed as one of the ingredients. And this is being used on babies. It s potentially harmful to skin and hair. Cleans by corrosion. Dries skin by stripping the protective lipids from the surface so it can't effectively regulate moisture. "Sodium lauryl sulfate" (SLS), an ingredient in 90% of commercial shampoos and conditioners today, corrodes the hair follicle and impedes hair growth. It has been blamed for many cases of premature hair loss. Many young to middle age Canadian males have almost no hair or are even bald. It takes hair longer to grow when it has been affected by SLS. SLS is found in car wash soap, engine degreaser, toothpaste, lotions and garage floor cleaners. I always had thick hair, last summer I suddenly lost a lot of my hair for no apparent reason. I started taking "silica" (Sobeys Pharmacy) twice a day (strengths) follicles, and changed my shampoo after reading the many articles on the internet about these chemicals to one that contained NO Lauryl or Laureth Sulfate, its called "JASON" at Walmart/Saint John. Its not with the regular shampoos. Its over by the blood pressure machine in the pharmacy section. I have truly seen a difference. It is slowly regrowing back. I have on a couple of occasions used regular shampoo when I've run out of Jason and I'll see more than usual hair falling out when I rinse it. Some people, but not all people who have experienced some degree of hearing loss and stop using shampoos with these ingredients have seen some some hearing improvement in about a year of not using them. Hope this is helpful!

care1978
02-11-2007, 07:21 PM
I am a hair stylist, and sorry girls.. but the only way to make your hair " appear" thicker is by using product... eg. mouse for volume...other than that.. it just cant be done!!
i have very fine hair and i have tried many products to volumize my hair... and nothing works for me at all, nothing stays in my hair for any longer than an hour... im cursed!

sparkly_panther
02-11-2007, 07:24 PM
The only thing that I have found works for me is to spray aerosol hairspray at my roots in sections. I leave it like that for about a minute or so until the hairspray dries, then I use my fingers to tousel the hair so that the hairspray is not so stiff.