PDA

View Full Version : YMCA in Prince Edward Square

AreWeThereYetMom
01-06-2007, 10:30 PM
Was a bit surprised to read that the YMCA moving to Prince Edward Square Mall by end of summer until a new place is found.

Wow, :eek: that's gonna be an interesting mix to add to the mall... heard folks say the fitness, youth programs and child care center will be using empty mall space including the long empty upstairs space too.

Nice to see change I guess, but I shudder to think of the already full daily parking outside and underground with staff and folks shopping!!
Here's the CBC story link: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2007/01/04/nb-saintjohny.html

Cherry Pop
01-06-2007, 11:38 PM
Ok this may be a dumb question but i'm gonna ask anyways - will there be a pool there (like put in) and if not what happens to their swimming programs?

Bawango
01-07-2007, 12:03 AM
Nope. No more pool and no more gym.

trinity
01-07-2007, 05:51 AM
Just FYI, if anyone is losing access to a pool and doesn't want to jump to the Aquatic Center, they can always check with a local hotel, I know at least one uptown offers memberships that include use of their fitness room, pool, sauna, hot tub etc. Most of them have very small fitness rooms with about 10 pieces of equipment, but if pool access is your main focus, it's an option. PM me for more info
It's not a perfect solution, but really, they are the ones who went back on their plans to join with the Aquatic center, the city needs the space empty to start building their justice center.

kjeffk
01-12-2007, 08:07 PM
Not only is the Y losing a gym and pool ,it is also not going to rebuild the racquetball courts in the new Y when it is built.Not a lot of people have been using the old courts so they figure they don't need to build new ones.Anyone who has used the old ones would agree that the courts were in terrible shape and no fun to play in..I have been emailing Pat Davis CEO of the YM-YWCA about this but I guess no one else has ...too bad,they are the only courts in Saint John and that will make us the only major centre in Atlantic Canada without them! You can help by letting her know your concerns at p.davis@saintjohny.com together we can make a difference!

djchopper6969
01-13-2007, 12:31 AM
I don't think they will be using the space upstairs above wyndham from what I heard it is a horrible space dirty and not ventilated but I could be wrong.

The new YMCA they built in Moncton is really nice I hope when they do rebuild it is as nice as that one.

I work at wyndham so I am in that mall almost everyday I just hope it is big enough to fulfill their needs that mall is not the best in the city maybe the extra revenue the mall gets (if any) will help bring it back to life....doubt it though.

tag
01-13-2007, 06:49 AM
They are using the space for Something to do with the Y.
I went to work there last week, and asked why they were cleaning, totally cleaning, out the upstairs, and was told....... The Y is coming!!!!!

Mandy
01-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Hey, I got a survey in the mail about the YMCA not joining up with the Aquatic Center and it was asking about what programs I would join/sign up for in the Millidgeville Area (M Gerald Teed School). They plan to have fitness equipment there and classes too. Adult classes, Family classes, and classes for children.

They were debating on whether or not to sell day passes, or memberships.

Not sure if anyone else got a survey, but I just mailed mine in. I said I would prefer to use the uptown location, as I don't have a vehicle and since our city bus system sucks (in my opinion) that it would be hard to get to M Gerald Teed school by city transit unless you were willing to walk from the bus stop near Timmies. Which is not a far walk, but what if it is raining, or you have small children..etc. I had no idea they planned on using the Prince Edward Square Mall.....I guess putting it there is better than not having one?

Kind of a shame that they will loose their pool and swim programs. That will probably cut out alot of their members. I know I sent my son there specifically so he could swim for his summer day camps.

Oh well, look at it this way, at least they are not clearing more vital land to build something in our city.

sharonw
01-14-2007, 02:53 PM
I heard that they are trying to strike up a deal with Saint John High so that members could use their pool until the new location is determined. That would be nice but quite inconvinient to have their facilities in so many different places. Parking at Prince Edward Square is impossible so I hope they realize that their members are not going to have parking.

brandenp
01-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Well.... In case you all didnt know... Prince Edward Square apartments has a pool, and saunas the we use as tenants, as well as Physiothearapy... Sure the pool isnt as big as what the old Y has , but its better than nothing, and can be accessed thru the underground parking, so u wouldnt have far to go....

Just a thought...

Jhazon
02-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Parking will be a nightmare! Underground parking is full from 10:30am until at least 4:30pm. Perhaps it time to move to a "pay for parking" at PES with a discount to tenants and Wyndham employees.

anthony_sinderly
02-02-2007, 07:41 PM
i go to the ymca daily,and i find the spot its at is perfect but when does my thought count eh?any ways im hearing there not even going to open the ymca again because there losing alot of money from other gyms. frankly i dont beleave that one due to i heard from only one person.but i talked to the sercurity guard in prince edward square(dave) and he said its gonna be where the old shoppers and dollar store was(up and down stairs)and i think he said something about the doctors office to,it was something like that.but im ok with the move,we might lose a few things but we'll get over it

Tiffany
02-05-2007, 04:10 PM
As it is now, I work a 2:30 shift at Wyndham and must arrive before 2pm in order to find a parking spot. I've arrived as early as 10:30 in the morning to see cars parked in the middle of aisles, seemingly abandoned after who-knows how long of searching... I really wish I could reiterate how bad the parking situation here is. If there's not enough right now for a "shopping" centre and call centre, I'm not sure how they plan on fitting a fitness centre into the mix.

JIm C.
02-06-2007, 03:32 PM
PES mall is just a temp location till the new site is built

the sad thing is in the new building they don't plan on having a pool..

My little one goes to the Y for swimming lessons

I'm hoping they make a deal with the Y ...

but it looks like they are re-training the staff at the pool

for other activities it doesn't look good..

I'll have to find another place that teaches swimming lessons

The aquatic center is def. out it's roughly double the price

dale & barb
02-26-2007, 06:25 PM
I work there, not for the YMCA directly but for the SHARP program and I dont think they even know whats going on. Ive heard so many rumors about everything clsing for good, closed until they build new...move to Prince Edward mal..its really hard to say

yoyoyip
02-26-2007, 08:46 PM
I work there, not for the YMCA directly but for the SHARP program and I dont think they even know whats going on. Ive heard so many rumors about everything clsing for good, closed until they build new...move to Prince Edward mal..its really hard to say

There's no "hard to say" about PES. It's done and been announced... and they've begun preparing for it.

snuggles29
06-15-2007, 07:33 PM
that is bad to put a ymca in price edward mall

Was a bit surprised to read that the YMCA moving to Prince Edward Square Mall by end of summer until a new place is found.

Wow, :eek: that's gonna be an interesting mix to add to the mall... heard folks say the fitness, youth programs and child care center will be using empty mall space including the long empty upstairs space too.

Nice to see change I guess, but I shudder to think of the already full daily parking outside and underground with staff and folks shopping!!
Here's the CBC story link: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2007/01/04/nb-saintjohny.html

AreWeThereYetMom
06-15-2007, 09:47 PM
Why is it bad?
I see it's inconvenient to have their current services scattered around the city, but nothing wrong with the mall accommodating their service needs in a central location.

http://www.saintjohny.com/documents/May14lettertomembersandparents.pdf

http://www.saintjohny.com/documents/GROUNDFLOOR2007FEB26.pdf

http://www.saintjohny.com/documents/FrequentlyAskedQuestions.pdf

snuggles29
06-15-2007, 10:43 PM

stripekv
06-18-2007, 06:35 AM
PES mall is just a temp location till the new site is built

the sad thing is in the new building they don't plan on having a pool..

My little one goes to the Y for swimming lessons

I'm hoping they make a deal with the Y ...

but it looks like they are re-training the staff at the pool

for other activities it doesn't look good..

I'll have to find another place that teaches swimming lessons

The aquatic center is def. out it's roughly double the price

There will be a pool in the new one ... you don't have to worry about that.

dittydottie
06-18-2007, 07:54 AM
Parking will be a nightmare. I have tried on at least 5 times to shop Bargain Tiger and have not been able to unless I wanted to park up on one of the side streets and walk.But who wants to do that???Parking is terrible,I see there being many people late for work each day,and people paying extra for daycare service because they will be late picking up their children.

luvinlife
07-06-2007, 09:32 PM
The Y offically opened up there as of this past Tuesday. My daughter is in childcare there and I have quickly decided to actively look to move her to another daycare facility. The parking is ridiculous. There are a handful of parking spots close to the door where the daycare is located, that's nuts! But worse than that is the fact that the first morning I turn onto that street, I see a flipping prostitute hanging at the corner! Then today when I picked up my daughter, there was a crack-ho by the liquor store begging for change and four guys across the street yelling all kinds of derogatory comments to her. Lovely environment for a friggin daycare!!! I am quite upset about the whole thing really. What was the Y thinking when it came to the childcare?? There's no playground for them and they walk along high traffic streets with unsavoury people hanging about. I hate to leave my daughter there every day now. I had my concerns about the location beforehand but trusted that the Y had thought these things through and made provisions but I was wrong. There have already been a few kids that have left the childcare centre and that's too bad.

Flaxie
07-07-2007, 07:09 AM
You must have been there the same time I was!!! I'm standing there with my 2 children looking for a taxi and she comes asking for money...Obviously wacked right out of her mind! I do feel bad for people who let themselves get that way; but have no interest in exposing my children to that!

My kids go to the B&G club, mind you it is only a block away, but the Liquor Store is not right beside it so there is nothing to draw the "down n' outs" to that location. I've been sending my kids there since they turned 2. (they are 7 & 10) They love the place and the staff are very kind and loving.