PDA

View Full Version : Does Family Medical History Matter?

lotssafun
09-05-2007, 08:05 AM
Drs usually ask, but is it really that important?

blepton
09-05-2007, 09:16 AM
I think that it is. I lost an aunt not too long ago to Lymphoma...a very rare form or it. Now another aunt of mine has cancer....and my grandmother and her brother both died of cancer. The doctors just want to know what they are up against and what is in your medical history to determine where it may have come from.

coffeegal
09-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Some conditions Doctors don't start screening for until a certain age, like prostate cancer in men usually over 40 for example, but if the doctor knows that a certain condition exists in your family, they might start screening for things earlier. Thats the way I look at it anyways.

mizunderstood
09-05-2007, 11:17 AM
yes it is important. MANY MANY diseases are genetic and if the drs know about the history they have a better/faster chance of finding medical problems. Though some of the questions they ask I often wonder why they need to know that but I always answer as best I can. lol.

mizunderstood
09-05-2007, 11:18 AM
sorry coffeegal I didnt see your post until after I posted mine! :)

coffeegal
09-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Mizunderstood, glad to know someone else thinks like me, lol.

Cherry Pop
09-06-2007, 09:57 AM
To answer your question, I certainly hope not! I hate it when Dr's ask me this as I am adopted and have no idea about my biological family's medical history. When I tell Dr's this they just continue on so I'm assuming it may be helpful but doesn't necessarily matter.

blueyes
09-07-2007, 09:15 PM
my mom was also adopted as well, and she has many health problems. Then about 10 yrs she finally found out who her mother was but unfortinately she had passed away but she was able to get her mothers medical file. Now she knows why she has some health problems cuz they are heredity. so yes i think it is important to know as much as possible about family medical problems.