PDA

View Full Version : How many people shop in Calais?

fergiak
09-01-2007, 11:42 PM
Just wondering hw many poeple on here make regular trips to Calais for grocery item. I wondered this today, while on my way back from my second trip there in a week.. why would people NOT go there for things that are so much cheaper and there are things there that you cannot buy here.. better variety and so on..

So, how many people are regulars ( there sure were alot of NB license plates both times I was there) and if not, why not? I did not realize that there was nothing to be paid at the border for grocery items , these reasons all combined have me convinced it would be worth it to go once every month or so.. if nothing else, than for chicken, milk and cheese products

Chinna Dah
09-01-2007, 11:49 PM
I go about once per month. Walmart has great prices on food.

friskeywhiskey
09-02-2007, 02:21 AM
Never do I go to the US for groceriy items. Particularly for meat and dairy products as the US does not have as strict regulations on their products as Canada does.
Everytime I eat poultry from the US I get sick. A few times people at first told me the meat was not from the US as they thought it was all in my head then with out fail I was in the washroom within 2 hours, then having my family apoligizing for lying to me.

Misty589
09-02-2007, 04:06 AM
how much do you spend in gas to go there? i wonder if ii can save enough to make it worthwhile

and could i come back with a moths worth of groceries without trouble at the border?

trinity
09-02-2007, 04:15 AM
I went twice last year just for groceries, there is one IGA in Calais that has great specials always-I don't know if it is worth the gas money though, they do set limits on how much you can bring back: (off the cbsa website)

no more than 2 dozen eggs; 20 KG in dairy products not exceeding $20 in value,; 3 kg of margarine or butter; 20 KG of meat and meat products- of which there can be only 1 whole turkey and/or a maximum of 10 kg of chicken.
While they don't really limit you on canned goods, they could technically place some of them under meat products like canned meat, or dairy like cheez whiz.
They might also catch you for the tax on things like toilet paper, cleaning products etc so be careful how much of those you buy. I have been back and forth to the USA about 5 times in the past year, once for a week-long trip, and of the 5 times returning I have been stopped 4 times, searched 3 times and had to pay duty 3 times (not necessarily the same 3 times). They are tightening up a bit I guess.

Misty589
09-02-2007, 08:18 AM
what about produce?

tessa
09-02-2007, 10:28 AM
I myself have been down at least once a month as well...Once for a week long trip...once long weekend trip...others, day trips....Most recent yesterday...I do find deals on certain things...I have never been pulled in ...They always ask what i have, and flag me through on my way....Yesterday, i was very surprised comin back...drove across the bridge ...up to the window and on my way within 2 mins...and this was around 4ish...I thought that was very very good...lol..the last long weekend it took me 1hr to hr half...

fergiak
09-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Both time I have been down, I had approximatly 125 in groceries.. far more dairy products and chicken than the other guy posted.. maybe they are making it stricter, but we had no problem at all, the guy at the booth took our receipts, checked them and said we were good to go..

Still, even if we did have to pay , it is still so worth it. and I don't use much gas to get there..

As for US regulations being less than Canadian, that doesn't bother me at all.. milk is milk, chicken is chicken

Interesting how everyone is different in their opinions?

sarahnb
09-02-2007, 03:37 PM
$30 in gas + a meal for me and whoever else goes (with three kids it's not likely I'd get to go by myself) and it's a 4-5 hour trip if I'm going to make the drive worth it. It wouldn't really save me any money and I usually don't have the time. Last August we were in the US anyway and picked up cool snacks for the kids lunches for back to school.

brandenp
09-02-2007, 04:07 PM
I don't like the taste of their milk and chicken. Even McDonald's tastes different so i dont bother. I'll stick to canadian foods lol

haha you right McDonald does taste different, but i like it, its a good different, i find, I noticed when I was at McD's in Dallas, when you supersized the pop, it was in a thick styrofoam cup, and in Chicago it was a hard plastic cup, opposed to our cardboardish type stuff that we use. All in all i like mcd's in the states :) I find it odd tho, that yet we are so close to them, the smallest things like mcdonalds taste is so much different lol

Coston07
09-02-2007, 09:16 PM
There is a difference in the milk, everytime I give it too my daughter it makes her sick. Other than that the prices are good.

Jhazon
09-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Calais Gas... I live in only 20 minutes from Calais and commute each day to Saint John. For the last three years, I've bought 90% of my gas in Calais (particularly at the Iriving next to the Customs station because they take Canadian interact cards). I'm also very detailed on keep data on my gas useage such as litres, distance, price per litre... the geeky stuff.

On a full tank of US gas, I get 75km more in distance. Thats at least half of a dailyy commute for me (since I put 150km on my car per day)! I have tested this theory many times. And even put it to work on my wife car. The same result though he was getting a little less of bonus (approx. 60km). In the Fall of 2006, I begun to pose the question to petrolum people (fuel companies, driving/maintaince forums, gas vendors) The reason... the US/Maine sells a different class/grade of gasoline than here. Without getting to scientific, there are many grades of gasoline on the market, and I don't mean the marketing terms such as 'regular' and 'supreme'. Some places require a certain grade due to emission laws. Some grades are sold for different seasons such as Winter and Summer grades. Now this is where the answers stop. I approached Irving directly since it was their fuel I was buy, both in the US and in Canada, to compare. They were not prepared to tell which grade of gasoline I purchase. "it's complicated" and "makes little impact on the consumers" were a few statements. My final conclusing, and one that seems to be agreed upon by others, is that Maine stations sell a grade of gas comparible to our Winter gas, which does not evaporate as fast (to give a lamen explaination). Some people even claim they came "sell the different" in Canada and US gas.

I would be interested to see a scientific experiment on this. Or I would welcome more data from gas companies on the different grades and which grade I am buying at the pump.

mizunderstood
09-03-2007, 06:11 PM
when I lived in woodstock (10 minutes from the houton boarder) I used to go accross every other day or so... I NEVER bought food or gas in canada until I moved to SJ. I notice a huge difference in the food and the gas. I love US milk. I will not drink canadian milk unless I have no other option. Our milk here tastes like water to me.. US milk, feels tastes like drinking straight from the cow.. lol.. Gas is a lot cheaper and I also find I can put more kms on my car on US gas. Even after I moved to SJ I used to make a trip once a month or every 2 months accross the boarder (either Calais or houlton) But I have not been down in a while. I heard that this weekend there is supposed to be big sales at mardens and walmart in calais. Anyone else know?

skallywag
09-03-2007, 07:28 PM
OK. I used to work at a refinery lab, and tested all types of fuels. We sold to Canada and the US. The only difference is that the octane is slightly higher (like 87.9-88.1 vs 87.3-87.7 here), and it's dyed red. Pretty much from the same tap. A higer octane might give you 1-2% increase in fuel effeciency...but not much more. It's all made to pretty much the same spec...no conspiracy here....

dan j
09-03-2007, 07:29 PM
***head Explodes***

suesguy
09-03-2007, 08:04 PM
Here is my opinion...

I believe in buying Canadian whenever possible. American is always my last choice. I have Japanese SUV's, Chinese toys, etc.... It is my duty as a Canadian to support Canadian companies as much as possible, even if it costs me more. I will not sell out for the sake of a few bucks. I hope all real Canadians start to do the same. Otherwise, you may as well move south and join them.

Just my opinion...nothing against Americans. In fact, they do a great job keeping retail $$$ in their own pockets.

Rog

Not quite sure i understand...our gas is imported gas, it is just refined here...there is no Canadian gas really (out west but most of that is exported)...Irving gets his oil abroad...whether you buy it here or there. You want to support Canadian business's ? Buy items from local "moms & pops".

trinity
09-03-2007, 11:56 PM
Both time I have been down, I had approximatly 125 in groceries.. far more dairy products and chicken than the other guy posted.. maybe they are making it stricter, but we had no problem at all, the guy at the booth took our receipts, checked them and said we were good to go..

Still, even if we did have to pay , it is still so worth it. and I don't use much gas to get there..

As for US regulations being less than Canadian, that doesn't bother me at all.. milk is milk, chicken is chicken

Interesting how everyone is different in their opinions?

Well, they don't charge or check everyone who comes through, they don't have the staff. Some of the time they will ding you for being $10 over after 48 hrs, and other times you could be waved through having a hundred dollars worth after spending 90 minutes. Those are just the regulations as posted on the Canada Border Services website.
Twice in the past year we have been asked to get out of the car, and they looked over everything- man was I afraid when I was in a friends car, she has essentially one of those "rolling garbage dump" approaches to vehicle contents-there was stuff EVERYWHERE including multiple kids backpacks when she only has one child.
I have had one trip my whole life where they totally unpacked the car, but I imagine we were shifty looking lot, coming back from a Star Trek convention in Bangor LOL.

As far as American retail, I find the customer service at any store in Maine ROCKS! You walk into a store down there just like any in McAllister mall and staff are all over you multiple times. They could give lessons to most mall staff here, IMHO.

kaj27
09-04-2007, 12:11 AM
our gas is imported gas,

The crude oil is imported. Not the gasoline.

Around 85% of the tar sand's product is exported to the US. Damn Shame.

Cherry Pop
09-04-2007, 11:46 AM
I have a couple of friends who go down on a regular basis and sometimes when I'm feeling up to it I will go with them. The trip is worth it when you consider the money saved. Even everyday items like underwear and facial cleanser is so much cheaper there than here. I really can't get over the price difference. For example at Walmart in Calais, I can buy 3 pairs of Hanes underwear for $5 something, here the exact same underwear is $13 something. A facial cleanser I started using is $3.99 there, here it costs $9.99. I just can't figure out why stuff that is identical is so much more money here?!

kaj27
09-04-2007, 12:09 PM
Gas is not imported. Crude oil is. I will support local mom and pops IF they sell Canadian. If not, I go somewhere that does. I, unlike some here, consider myself a true Canadian, and put my $$$ where my mouth is.

But you claim you will not buy "American Gas". Some of "American Gas" is actually Canadian.

So by buying American Gas, you are supporting Canada and Canadian Industries.

girdy
09-04-2007, 12:39 PM
I find Calais is just too far away to make a dedicated shopping trip worthwhile. Given cost of gas, wear and tear on the vehicle, and in particular the time necessary, I wouldn't do it from here (I live in Quispam) unless there was something I could buy there that I can't here (nothing comes to mind). If I was nearby I might drop over if the customs lines looked short, but St. Stephen just isn't a place I tend to be in.

I also agree with Roger, within reason I'd far rather spend my money locally.

kaj27
09-04-2007, 03:46 PM
I find Calais is just too far away to make a dedicated shopping trip worthwhile. Given cost of gas, wear and tear on the vehicle, and in particular the time necessary, I wouldn't do it from here (I live in Quispam) unless there was something I could buy there that I can't here (nothing comes to mind). If I was nearby I might drop over if the customs lines looked short, but St. Stephen just isn't a place I tend to be in.

I also agree with Roger, within reason I'd far rather spend my money locally.

I'm the same way, I'd rather pay a few dollars extra then take the drive.

Jhazon
09-05-2007, 07:00 AM
Please don't give us the crap about "I'm patriotic, I buy from local business". I'll be watching to ensure that the next topic on social programs and homeless issues uptown, you'll be saying "I'm patriotic, I help/agree with social programs". Not that the two are the same, but since you enjoy handing out your money and foolishly think your making a difference buying an overpriced item from a local merchant who doesn't give a hoot about you, then you should never been upset with an 'other' social programs.

By the way, the gentleman who runs the Iriving in Calais has duel citizenship. He also runs a business in Milltown/St.Stephen. He buy his gas from our 'local merchant' the Irving family. He's also Acadian, which means, for some of us, we'll support him even more. He sells Sam Adams beer in the fridge... which buy it's hops from Canadian farmers. He has several 'Canadian' items on the shelf, including Connors sardines. Some Connors sardines are brought over from Rockport, Maine... which means their not Canadian... watch out for those ones the next time you shop at your local merchant.

jdcb
09-05-2007, 08:08 AM
I grew up in St. Stephen, so i found myself there quite a bit this summer and have crossed over... especially to gas up before coming back.

I have another question, how many of those people who said they do go down will continue to once they need passports?

Oceanpearl624
09-06-2007, 11:30 AM
I just got home today from a trip to Calais and Bangor, stayed down 48 plus hours. I find the best buys are right in Calais. The Marden's is so much cleaner
than the one in Bangor and has the exact same things. There are better buys at the Walmart in Calais than in Bangor, some things on sale there where not on sale in Bangor. I asked a few locals in US why this is and they said it's because so many Canadians shopping in Calais that the better stock gets sent there because of the high volume sales.
I stayed at the Keenes Lake Campground and was quite impressed with the campground, had a very nice lakeshore site, was actually thinking of going seasonal there next year if the site is available.
Now to your question jdcb, if I need a passport to cross over for shopping and camping No I won,t be going over. I will get a passport when I need one to travel by Air, but until the time comes I don,t plan to purchase a Passport.
I guess we will all have to wait and see what the New Year brings, but I sure enjoy the trip down to Calais for shopping and grocery's and plan to do a lot more before Dec 31/07

girdy
09-06-2007, 12:44 PM
Not quite sure I understand the rationale for changing behaviour because of a passport being required to visit a foreign country. For less than $100 you get a passport that lasts 5 years. Or averaged it costs $20 a year. If you had to place a value on your enjoyment of your trip, wouldn't it be more than $20? Or for those going down to save money on shopping, you don't save a total of $20 a year to pay for a passport?

I believe Bush is a dangerous simpleton and think that a passport at the border doesn't improve U.S. security at all (the 9-11 terrorists were all in the U.S. legally), but it's their right to ask for one if they choose. Don't let a bit of U.S. silliness affect your quality of life.

trinity
09-07-2007, 01:38 AM
Agreed, in Europe the countries are much smaller and closer together, and the excuse of wanting to live in France but shop in England or Belgium doesn't cut it, you need a passport. It is another country, I know they look like us, eat KD and McDonalds, watch the same tv and drive the same cars, but even as we say that, we are glad to not be like them in every way.

FutureChief88
09-07-2007, 07:31 AM
Here is my opinion...

I believe in buying Canadian whenever possible. American is always my last choice. I have Japanese SUV's, Chinese toys, etc.... It is my duty as a Canadian to support Canadian companies as much as possible, even if it costs me more. I will not sell out for the sake of a few bucks. I hope all real Canadians start to do the same. Otherwise, you may as well move south and join them.

Just my opinion...nothing against Americans. In fact, they do a great job keeping retail $$$ in their own pockets.

Rog

AGREED~!
I would NEVER go out of my way to purchase something in the US.. american or whatnot. I wouldnt go out of my way to avoid it either.. But as far as a choice goes.. I would much rather spend my money in my own country. I dont care where its coming from.. But if its being sold in my community.. the i will support the loacl store. Yes.. the US has some cool stuff.. But by the time you leave there, your spending just as much with gas and duty and everything else.. Not worth it for Fat milk and Nasty chicken.. LOL

pocketcatchers
09-10-2007, 09:12 PM
How many people are going to run out and get a passport for the beginning of next year to go shopping. I will certainly buy one as I save alot more than the price of a passport yearly.