PDA

View Full Version : Something new in Saint John

bigboy6969
08-28-2007, 01:05 PM
Hey Everybody
We all know Saint John could use something new and fun to do. What would you like to see open up in Saint John?

What do you think of an indoor roller rink? For inline skating, skate boarding, roller blade hockey all year round?
Or perhaps a roller disco/50's inspired roller skating dance club? With a 50's diner with indoor/outdoor cafe? Open late for the night owls!

Any suggestions? I'd love to open up a business in the city.
And no, not another retail store...something FUN for people to do.
Thanks All

kaj27
08-28-2007, 01:54 PM
*Yawn* on the roller rink.

I'd like to see a family center. Something with games and rides. Mostly indoors, due to our weather.

bigboy6969
08-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Do you mean like a Crystal Palace type of center with games and rides?
But that's just like an exhibition. Except one that never leaves and always has the same rides, and really only entertaining for children.
But it's worth a thought..thanks for your suggestion.

dittydottie
08-28-2007, 02:17 PM
Something like crystal Palace would be great.

kaj27
08-28-2007, 03:14 PM
really only entertaining for children.

For families like I said.

Woofer
08-28-2007, 03:26 PM
rollerrink would be great and you also get excercise to.

trinity
08-28-2007, 03:54 PM
I would go, I used to like the roller rink when they had one west side, I sucked but I'm sure I could learn again.

Cherry Pop
08-28-2007, 03:57 PM
I would like to see a Mini golf place open. I love mini golf!

Woofer
08-28-2007, 03:57 PM
i used to skate the west side and then quispamsis for 5 years. now theres no place. i'm old but i still have my original rollerskates lol and would love to try them again someday lol

kimbey76
08-28-2007, 04:21 PM
love the mini golf idea, also love the roller rink and would go lots, i think i can speak for my husband on that one as well... i think we should have a drive in here, a lot of people from here drive to the one in sussex to see movies in the summer, i remember the one in quispamsis when i was a kid... very nostalgic

bigboy6969
08-28-2007, 04:41 PM
I thought of that too! Find a great location and place all three things somewhat together. A roller disco dance club.(which would also serve as a roller rink in the daytime for children and families),50's diner and a drive in theater! And really create a nostalgic feel so when you're there it's like your not even in saint john anymore!
Hey, and why not a mini golf to boot!
You guys have great ideas thanks!
I think it would make for a great fun spot to be. I'm just afraid of it being a "fad". Too "themed" out and lose it's appeal after a year or so. What do you guys think?

Chinna Dah
08-28-2007, 06:09 PM
mini golf for sure. but a fun one, and challenging too

dan j
08-28-2007, 06:28 PM
I'd like to see big ball bowling come back. Have theme nights to diversify the crowds between families, single or childless adults, older adults, seniors, and teens. Bring in live entertainment or DJs that would suit the night. Also, have complimentary businesses associated with it. Basically, The Riverboat but done properly.

s4q19
08-28-2007, 06:34 PM
Go Karts. Good ones at that. Maybe even an indoor track... to make it a year round thing.

AreWeThereYetMom
08-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Many times when we are in Moncton, we always enjoyed the go-carts, mini-golf and water park.
I still shake my head wondering why they never kept up with the mini-golf and water slide in of Rockwood Park.
Would be so convenient if something like that was closer to Saint John.

RobinHood
08-29-2007, 07:46 AM
Hey Everybody
We all know Saint John could use something new and fun to do. What would you like to see open up in Saint John?

What do you think of an indoor roller rink? For inline skating, skate boarding, roller blade hockey all year round?
Or perhaps a roller disco/50's inspired roller skating dance club? With a 50's diner with indoor/outdoor cafe? Open late for the night owls!

Any suggestions? I'd love to open up a business in the city.
And no, not another retail store...something FUN for people to do.
Thanks All

Instead of "Busch Gardens" - I'd like to see an all weather "Moosehead Gardens" - sponsored/part-payed for by Moosehead Brewery. Or "Irving's World of Adventures" in a similar vein ;)

crydaga
08-29-2007, 07:04 PM
Put a mini golf and driving range out behind Zellers macallister. Much like the one that was out on the Marr road a few years back. Add some go carts and batting cages. Seasonal gold mine.

In the winter you could turn it in to bunny slope for sking and sliding. Or a luge.

got money lots and lots a money

kaj27
08-29-2007, 07:15 PM
Put a mini golf and driving range out behind Zellers macallister. Much like the one that was out on the Marr road a few years back. Add some go carts and batting cages. Seasonal gold mine.

In the winter you could turn it in to bunny slope for sking and sliding. Or a luge.

got money lots and lots a money

At least the course will change every year!! That's all swamp land!

crydaga
08-29-2007, 08:08 PM
At least the course will change every year!! That's all swamp land!
Yes behind zellers is swamp but up on the corner on macallister drive is where I am talking about. Hit toward the refinery

Pumpkin
08-30-2007, 12:39 PM
A waterpark, an indoor theme park, A hooters would be cool, more for the guys though I'm sure lol, Red Lobster, Hard Rock Cafe, something like SeaWorld would be cool, A Sandspit would be fun along the lines of the indoor theme park but go karts like some one said would be right on, Intriguing and exciting tours around town (like more ghosty tours) lol. A nice new Drive-In closer than Sussex, it's something different to do! I have never been! Im sure Im not the only one who would go!

The list can go on and on, and remember people we don't have to have all this in town, why not put something more out in the stix where there is more land. A fairly small nice drive to a fun place to be...why not....

It could work, look at how busy Momma Georgia's is and look how far outta the way that is!!

FutureChief88
08-30-2007, 03:50 PM
What is Momma Georgia's .. I want to know about it.. and go.. LOL
Always looking for something else to do!

kaj27
08-30-2007, 04:36 PM
It's a restaurant some people seem to like. Personally....I'd eat at McDonald's before I'd go back.

cdncook05
08-31-2007, 12:04 PM
Place i would like to see around saint john or area is like a chucky cheese or similar to that. went to 2 different places like that in toronto with the kids and its great for the kids . place was always full, They coin it in those places cu they only have so many choices for food, and just have tons of games and play sets and stuff like that . i think thats where the money would be , and a great family place, because they have a security gate and give the kids, and the parent bracelets that match when u go in, and check them on the way out so nobody can take ur kid.

ILiveOnEarth
08-31-2007, 01:59 PM
A 50's style gas station with a restaurant. Full service gas pumps where they pump your gas and check your oil and tire pressure etc.. Have 3 people run out to do that when you pull up. A drive up part of the restaurant with people on roller skates with 4 wheels roll up to bring your order out. A soda bar with the old style milkshake machines. Juke boxes at each booth. Prices where you can take a family of 4 and not cost you 200$ Great big servings on the plate where you have to force yourself to eat it all. Have the old cars come a night a week to put on a car show. Now that would be cool.

kaj27
08-31-2007, 02:09 PM
A 50's style gas station with a restaurant. Full service gas pumps where they pump your gas and check your oil and tire pressure etc.. Have 3 people run out to do that when you pull up. A drive up part of the restaurant with people on roller skates with 4 wheels roll up to bring your order out. A soda bar with the old style milkshake machines. Juke boxes at each booth. Prices where you can take a family of 4 and not cost you 200$ Great big servings on the plate where you have to force yourself to eat it all. Have the old cars come a night a week to put on a car show. Now that would be cool.

Sounds like an old A&W....Kinda neat idea though. I always wondered why an A&W wouldn't do the whole car service thing during the summer.

girdy
08-31-2007, 02:17 PM
Place i would like to see around saint john or area is like a chucky cheese or similar to that. went to 2 different places like that in toronto with the kids and its great for the kids . place was always full, They coin it in those places cu they only have so many choices for food, and just have tons of games and play sets and stuff like that . i think thats where the money would be , and a great family place, because they have a security gate and give the kids, and the parent bracelets that match when u go in, and check them on the way out so nobody can take ur kid.

I think this is a very good idea. A restaurant with good food where you could go with your young kid and have the kid playing games with other kids (supervised) while you're waiting for your food or having a coffee after dinner, would be great. Heck of a bother getting a sitter just to go out to a leisurely dinner. I'd certainly pay a few dollars for there to be a supervised play area in the restaurant. I'd want it to have good food though, I've had enough of McDonalds playroom/food.

blepton
08-31-2007, 02:17 PM
A roller rink is a good idea, but it's going to be another place for teenagers to hang out and not buy anything....just like the malls. Who wants to go somewhere and take their kids when there are punky (not all teenagers, is what I'm saying) kids hanging around?

paintballer4
08-31-2007, 10:22 PM
Saint John needs a indoor paintball field, there is hardly any were's to play paintball hear and in the winter time the closiest place to play is in the moncton dome :(

I've always wanted to run a field soo if this does get built i would be helping out everyday its open

Angele
09-04-2007, 09:54 AM
I want to thank everybody for their replies! I think all of these ideas are fantastic, and I've got some thinking to do now! I can't make any promises on this business idea of mine getting under way, there is a lot of red tape to consider..but I will certainly be looking into it further and see what the city/bank can allow me to do! (with entertainment centers, especially ones with risk of injuries) means huge insurance!

Vix
10-05-2007, 11:20 AM
I want to thank everybody for their replies! I think all of these ideas are fantastic, and I've got some thinking to do now! I can't make any promises on this business idea of mine getting under way, there is a lot of red tape to consider..but I will certainly be looking into it further and see what the city/bank can allow me to do! (with entertainment centers, especially ones with risk of injuries) means huge insurance!

I'm not so sure how serious you are on a new business but I definatley know how you can make some money and make alot of Saint Johners Very happy....

Open up a "COSTCO" !!!!!

JustWatching
10-05-2007, 06:52 PM

I'm confused - is it you or BigBoy6969 opening up a place in SJ?

paintballer4
10-05-2007, 09:17 PM
paintball has the least injury rate in any sport :)

The_Dave
10-05-2007, 09:31 PM
paintball has the least injury rate in any sport :)

Saint John has the least injury rate, because all the kids are inside playing video games.

I think if someone is going to open a business, then try to consider a business that involves exercise for the kids and possibly for the whole family and not just another restaurant like a chucky cheese, for the kids in this city to get fatter.

FutureChief88
10-06-2007, 08:05 AM
I would love to see a paintball arena...Paintball ROCKS!

stripekv
10-07-2007, 01:53 PM
I'm not so sure how serious you are on a new business but I definatley know how you can make some money and make alot of Saint Johners Very happy....

Open up a "COSTCO" !!!!!

They are going to be putting Costco near the Lorneville exit.

Friend of mine was told to put in a bid to construct a Esso/Tim Hortons right in front of where they will be buying the Costco.

sarahnb
10-08-2007, 07:18 AM
Halifax used to have a place called Cosmic Adventures. It was a huge indoor playground geared for all ages. Parents could even go through with the kids. They had shower rooms for cleaning the balls from the ball pits. They did birthday parties and sleepovers. Something like this:
http://www.internationalplayco.com/public.php

margay
01-03-2008, 10:03 AM
Hey.. if you want to do something big, big time money investment. Do an indoor beach!!! Like the one in Japan. Except.. I know Saint John is to cheap to actually build a $2 billion dollar complex... however even 1/2 of this would be nice...http://www.gluckman.com/IndoorBeach.html

On this beach you can eventually do a miniput, water slide, roller skating area. You can make this place huge. Where can people actually go swiming in Saint John. We don't habe that many nice beaches.

You can expand on it eventually. Its only the beach section that you'd have to keep warm. Charge $15 for 1/2 day. Thats just to get in. You could have evening beach party themes!! Like a dance club type affair. Karaoke night, limbo contest, etc... Eventually you'll make yourself millions. I know I'd love to spend the whole day at a indoor beach! Especially right now!! And even in the summer. This would really get this city booming!! Saint John oldest country in Canada with the newest and greatest indoor Beach!!! Hey.. I'd do it myself if I was in the market of a new business.!!!

Hows that for an idea??

(http://www.gluckman.com/IndoorBeach.html)

jenn527
01-03-2008, 10:14 AM
LOVE LOVE LOVE the roller rink idea !!!

FutureChief88
01-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Hey.. if you want to do something big, big time money investment. Do an indoor beach!!! Like the one in Japan. Except.. I know Saint John is to cheap to actually build a $2 billion dollar complex... however even 1/2 of this would be nice...http://www.gluckman.com/IndoorBeach.html

On this beach you can eventually do a miniput, water slide, roller skating area. You can make this place huge. Where can people actually go swiming in Saint John. We don't habe that many nice beaches.

You can expand on it eventually. Its only the beach section that you'd have to keep warm. Charge $15 for 1/2 day. Thats just to get in. You could have evening beach party themes!! Like a dance club type affair. Karaoke night, limbo contest, etc... Eventually you'll make yourself millions. I know I'd love to spend the whole day at a indoor beach! Especially right now!! And even in the summer. This would really get this city booming!! Saint John oldest country in Canada with the newest and greatest indoor Beach!!! Hey.. I'd do it myself if I was in the market of a new business.!!!

Hows that for an idea??

Wow.. That is SOOO cool!

Flaxie
01-11-2008, 08:01 AM
Does anyone know why the place that was in place 400 years ago shut down? I would think that would be a good place to research before opening up another play center. I remember my mom taking me there when I was 4 or 5. It was awesome and we always had the greatest times there. My brother had a birthday party there when he turned 6. Would you believe it still comes up in conversation from time to time! lol

Annie55
01-27-2008, 09:37 AM
I would love to see another big ball bowling, we used it every week, one problem they had with that was the teenagers, but what happened is when they stopped going so did most of the business, it used to be packed and a hard time to even get a lane. So the interest was there with the teens, the reason they stopped though was they ended up having fights, but all they would have to do is have more security. Everyone knew where their kids were though.

jrmdes
02-10-2008, 08:07 AM
How about something EVERYONE can use...not just thoes with big pay checks. Something Like Crystal Palace is great, but is to expensive to make a regular thing. How about an indoor play park? My little ones bug me all winter to go to the park, but most of the time it just to cold. A large area with swings, and slides, and some of the FANTASTIC rubber florring, crash mats, and kangaroo balls, and all the stuff we LOVED to do every day as kids. My only request would be to keep the cost of entrence really low so that even thoes with a lower income can go often. I'm not sure what ever happened to the riverboat complex. That was a great place, but again to expensive for a family! I hope you find something wonderful to open...please advertise with big signs once you decide...that way we know where you are:)

Bobbi
04-08-2008, 12:24 AM
I was just in Kitchner ontario and they have a place call bingemans its an indoor play park with the jungle gym set they also have rock wall climbign and a rope climbing course in the summer there is an otdoor place with all that go cart and water stuff and there is also a camp ground they do parties it had a restaurant in there as well it was so neat to see i wish somethign like that would come here.It was cost effective they had like a 2 dollar night and there was also an arcade that u could win stuff.This Bingemans palce was so much fun i wish they would bring one here.There is nothin at all to do with kids in the winter except the aquatic center and now thats gettign boring.If anyone know of things to do with a 2 year old please let me know.I would really like to see this type of thing here tho it will keep this generation of kids out of trouble and away from those video games.
www.bingemans.com

Freudian
05-16-2008, 08:52 PM
I like this idea. To add to it, I think high-torque electric go-karts would be awesome! They could also make them indoor/outdoor mixed and shut down the outdoor in the winter or when it's poor weather. There is one in Moncton except they are gas powered. Need a bigger track though.

Go Karts. Good ones at that. Maybe even an indoor track... to make it a year round thing.

kaj27
05-16-2008, 09:11 PM
I like this idea. To add to it, I think high-torque electric go-karts would be awesome! They could also make them indoor/outdoor mixed and shut down the outdoor in the winter or when it's poor weather. There is one in Moncton except they are gas powered. Need a bigger track though.

How's that rock you're living under?

http://www.isaintjohn.com/classifieds/showthread.php?t=51305

:)

Freudian
05-16-2008, 09:24 PM
Sweet! There's no open till the 19th May 2008 though... :)

How's that rock you're living under?

http://www.isaintjohn.com/classifieds/showthread.php?t=51305

:)