PDA

View Full Version : Why is it that....?

s4q19
08-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Why is it that people are so stupid? I'm just looking for some insight to this.

dittydottie
08-27-2007, 11:54 AM
what are you getting at?

kaj27
08-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Funny I was thinking the same thing. Especially how people aren't descriptive enough in their thread stupid people.

s4q19
08-27-2007, 12:00 PM
Just people in general, we seem to be getting dumber. But at the same time, there's more education now than ever. More people going through universities and colleges and whatnot. Alot of behavior that people elicit now would have ended up being suicidal in some points of our history, so what makes it right now? Is it because our world has changed so much that we simply need not worry about those things anymore? Or maybe our society is set up to protect the weaker individuals (Which I am NOT saying is bad, just stating a fact) and people take advantage of that by applying a don't-need-to-care attitude?

s4q19
08-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Funny I was thinking the same thing. Especially how people aren't descriptive enough in their threads.

Damn stupid people.

Atleast I don't generalize every single thing.

I had a car that I had to replace my seatbelts in after an accident
Every car has seatbelts
-----------------------------------
Therefore, you must replace all seatbelts after an accident.

FYI: Bike helmets don't expire, it's recomended that they be replaced every few years as safety technology changes and as a result of the nature of their use.

kaj27
08-27-2007, 12:15 PM
Atleast I don't generalize every single thing.

I had a car that I had to replace my seatbelts in after an accident
Every car has seatbelts
-----------------------------------
Therefore, you must replace all seatbelts after an accident.

FYI: Bike helmets don't expire, it's recomended that they be replaced every few years as safety technology changes and as a result of the nature of their use.

Oh here we go. Funny how I didn't say that every car has to have the belts replaced. You assumed I was saying that. I simply stated that the previous post about how they don't need to be replaced was false.

Please don't talk about education when clearly your spelling is sub-par.

trinity
08-27-2007, 12:26 PM
I do wonder if people are actually getting dumber or if it is just that before, in a less global environment, we had contact with less people and so knew less so-called dumb people? There were always people who couldn't spell or use proper grammar, people with mental health or social issues etc, but before these people had no "voice" like they do now, with computers much cheaper and more freely available to all regardless of income level. It is similar to the phenomenon I experienced when I began to drive a taxi- I at first believed that driving skills in other people were worse than ever but it was merely that I was on more roads, more often, for longer so instead of seeing 1 careless driver one day at one intersection, I was seeing 30 at 30 different times of the day in different intersections. More exposure, more apparent stupidity. Speaking mathematically, if one in every ten people are characterized as stupid, in the past your "sphere of influence" was generally limited to this area and maybe your own family in other areas of the country, so maybe you could count 3 or 400 people you really knew, which would be 30 or 40 stupid. Now that we have places like iSJ, MSN chat, My Space, we interact with thousands of people daily. This means hundreds of stupids instead of 30 or 40, so naturally it would seem as if stupidity is proliferating. I do agree somewhat that literacy is less emphasized in schools these days, but only so far as people are not being penalized for spelling words wrong when they have written a great story or show that they can analyze information well. Every generation believes the younger generation is worse than the one before, but somehow we continue on, progressing and inventing, curing disease, learning more tolerance, learning to accept differences etc. If every generation was indeed worse than the last, we would soon have driven ourselves into anarchic hell.

Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers.- Socrates, 469 BC.

And Plato (327 BC)
You are young, my son, and, as the years go by, time will change and even reverse many of your present opinions. Refrain therefore awhile from setting yourself up as a judge of the highest matters.

Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.

s4q19
08-27-2007, 12:48 PM
A typo every once in awhile is one thing. You want to harp on me over that, then that's fine. I promise you that while my spelling and grammar is not 100%, it's a heck of alot better then some of the people on this site. You want to attack me and my posts, I'll attack you and your posts. If you would like to simply join the conversation, without making a personal attack, feel free to do so. If I've failed to clearly state my question, or any of my thoughts, feel free to ask me for clarification, but do so without the demeaning comments.

Good post Trinity, that's some good insight.

girdy
08-27-2007, 01:00 PM
People are generally better educated and book-smarter than before. What's taking a real pounding, is common sense. Parents shelter their children from the real world by over-protecting them, and society protects the lazy by permitting them not to work or contribute. People spend way too much time watching the idiot box and playing video/computer games, and as a result they end up not knowing how to relate to people particularly well, and they can't swing a hammer, drive a car, change a fuse. They know nothing, except what some imbicile on a waste-of-time reality show said last night, and what move to make on the next level of a moronic video game. The kids with the best marks when I was in University, were the least knowedgeable about life. They were smart, but they had no common sense. We've traded common sense for book smarts - a bad trade in my opinion.

girdy
08-27-2007, 01:20 PM
An hour into a thread, and already people are taking petty pot shots at each other. Perhaps the thread should be re-titled "Why is it that people are so immature?"

s4q19
08-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Something that makes me think is the fact that going through school I spent so much time taking things like history courses, but there was never a compulsory course in driver training. Yes, history courses provide practicle knowledge (ie. learn from our past mistakes), but I think something like drivers education should be a little more than a 40 hour in class program.

I know what you mean about people in school. Although there are some people at the top of their class who really deserve to be at the top, there are some who you have to kind of wonder how they got there.

I think some of it can be attributed to the fact that people are getting more and more specialized in their fields. While not every field is like this, take computers for instance. Back in the day, you could get away with being a computer guru. But now you have people specialized in different aspects of networks, software and hardware. I'm sure I couldn't even begin naming all of the fields that are there. My point is that people can get so focused on one aspect of the world, it's easy to forget that other aspects need attention aswell.

s4q19
08-27-2007, 01:52 PM
An hour into a thread, and already people are taking petty pot shots at each other. Perhaps the thread should be re-titled "Why is it that people are so immature?"

It didn't even take an hour, it started after about 5 or 6 minutes.

dittydottie
08-27-2007, 01:57 PM
I confes I started it all by asking what the post was asking!! Now I'm the stupid one :-(

girdy
08-27-2007, 02:06 PM
I confes I started it all by asking what the post was asking!! Now I'm the stupid one :-(

Your question was fine, some more information about what the thread was to be was needed.

s4q19
08-27-2007, 02:21 PM

No no no... there's nothing wrong with asking a question. Especially that question, it was a pretty ambiguous thread topic.

Nail
08-27-2007, 07:55 PM
The movie "Idiocracy" explains this issue in a humorous way. Watch it.

Cherry Pop
08-27-2007, 08:37 PM
I don't think people are getting dumber. I think they are getting more paranoid!

s4q19
08-27-2007, 09:28 PM
The movie "Idiocracy" explains this issue in a humorous way. Watch it.

I've seen that movie... Bloody halarious.

s4q19
08-27-2007, 09:34 PM
"ALOT" is two words, not one.

Don't think you are immune to spelling mistakes:

Oh, please rpely via email. I do not check PM's often

This was taken from post # 55738, where you were trying to sell a PS3.

Gee, I guess nobody's perfect after all. Imagine that.

timekeeper
08-28-2007, 12:11 AM
Though technically, the Flynn Effect states that aptitude scores across the world are going up.

K-AFBP
08-28-2007, 08:09 AM
............ People spend way too much time watching the idiot box and playing video/computer games, and as a result they end up not knowing how to relate to people particularly well, and they can't swing a hammer, drive a car, change a fuse. They know nothing, except what some imbicile on a waste-of-time reality show said last night, and what move to make on the next level of a moronic video game...........

Right on Girdy! Add to that; aspartame, fluoride, lead, mercury, and other poisonous substances and you have perfect conditions for a dumbed-down, easily controlled population.

If you know how to fix things, do simple construction, maintenance, etc, you will be able to make (tax-free) $$ doing things for people that are either too stupid to figure it out for themselves or are 'above' that sort of thing.

kimbey76
08-28-2007, 04:12 PM
I do wonder if people are actually getting dumber or if it is just that before, in a less global environment, we had contact with less people and so knew less so-called dumb people? There were always people who couldn't spell or use proper grammar, people with mental health or social issues etc, but before these people had no "voice" like they do now, with computers much cheaper and more freely available to all regardless of income level. It is similar to the phenomenon I experienced when I began to drive a taxi- I at first believed that driving skills in other people were worse than ever but it was merely that I was on more roads, more often, for longer so instead of seeing 1 careless driver one day at one intersection, I was seeing 30 at 30 different times of the day in different intersections. More exposure, more apparent stupidity. Speaking mathematically, if one in every ten people are characterized as stupid, in the past your "sphere of influence" was generally limited to this area and maybe your own family in other areas of the country, so maybe you could count 3 or 400 people you really knew, which would be 30 or 40 stupid. Now that we have places like iSJ, MSN chat, My Space, we interact with thousands of people daily. This means hundreds of stupids instead of 30 or 40, so naturally it would seem as if stupidity is proliferating. I do agree somewhat that literacy is less emphasized in schools these days, but only so far as people are not being penalized for spelling words wrong when they have written a great story or show that they can analyze information well. Every generation believes the younger generation is worse than the one before, but somehow we continue on, progressing and inventing, curing disease, learning more tolerance, learning to accept differences etc. If every generation was indeed worse than the last, we would soon have driven ourselves into anarchic hell.

Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers.- Socrates, 469 BC.

And Plato (327 BC)
You are young, my son, and, as the years go by, time will change and even reverse many of your present opinions. Refrain therefore awhile from setting yourself up as a judge of the highest matters.

this is a great post, i especially love the final quote by plato...

trinity
08-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Right on Girdy! Add to that; aspartame, fluoride, lead, mercury, and other poisonous substances and you have perfect conditions for a dumbed-down, easily controlled population.

If you know how to fix things, do simple construction, maintenance, etc, you will be able to make (tax-free) $$ doing things for people that are either too stupid to figure it out for themselves or are 'above' that sort of thing.

Yes, and isn't it wonderful that there are so many of us who see this, when the world as we know it comes to an end, all of those who are "smarter" and and able to do things can band together in Iceland to repopulate the earth-I guarantee it will seem as if the children born on that hunk of rock are dumber and ruder than we are LOL. I'll look some of you up when it happens. Some of you I will leave behind to starve and freeze in Canada, since you lack the common sense and agricultural knowledge necessary to keep warm and grow crops during a nuclear winter.