PDA

View Full Version : Milk has an Expiration Date and so Does Your Car Seat!

sarahnb
08-25-2007, 04:38 PM
From http://www0.epinions.com/content_4753956996

Milk has an Expiration Date and so Does Your Car Seat!
May 27 '06 (Updated Aug 31 '06)

The Bottom Line Know when you child's car seat expires and destroy it when it does.

I dare say that most people who are parents now never rode in a car seat as children. Many of us didn’t even use the car seat belts when riding around town. We scrambled to ride in the “way back” of the family station wagon. Times have changed. In many places you can’t leave the hospital unless you have an approved child safety seat.

While car child safety has definitely improved dramatically in the last 30 years we still have a long way to go. Use of car seats is at an all time high, but proper use stills remains only in the 10 - 20% range; yet everyone believes they are using them correctly. Education is key. Loose and twisted straps, improperly secured seats and children who do not meet the height and/or weight limit for the seat they are riding in are common mistakes. Something often overlooked is the expiration date of the car seat.

Car Seats Expire?
I am amazed at how many parents are unaware that car seats have a life limit. Most manufacturers put a limit of 6 years on their car seats, but not all. The best place to find this information is inside the instruction manual that came with your car seat. If you can’t find the information (or the instruction manual) call the manufacturer and find out. And don’t forget to ask for another manual, most companies provide them for free.

Once you know the life span of your car seat you need to check out the seat. On the car seat you will find a sticker or label with the make and model of your car seat along with the date of manufacture. Car seats expire from their date of manufacture, not the date you received the seat or first installed it in your car. It is important enough to repeat - most car seats are good for no more than 6 years from the date they were manufactured.

What Does the Expiration Date Mean for You?
So often I hear people excited that they purchased a car seat that claims it is the only one they will ever need. These 3-in-1 car seats (like the Cosco Alpha Omega or the Safety 1st Intera) can be used rear facing for infants, forward facing for toddlers and as booster seats for young children. However since you will have at most 6 years of use and most children should be in a booster seat until they are at least 8 these all-in-one car seats should not be the last one you buy. By then, your child may only need a booster seat, but it is important to remember that these seats will expire before you child is ready to go without it. This also means that the expensive high weight limit car seat (such as the Britax Regent) that you buy with the idea of using it for all of your children will probably only make it 1/2 way through your second child, if you’re lucky, before you need to buy another one.

Resist the urge to register for a convertible car seat for your baby shower. It is tempting to ask someone else to purchase the seat for you, and how nice to have the seat sitting in a closet ready to go. But if you use an infant carrier for your baby don’t be surprised to find out that your shower gift is almost two years old before you get to use it, that’s 1/3 of its lifespan gone. Instead consider buying (or asking for) a convertible car seat for your child’s first birthday, even if it needs to be an early birthday present.

Watch Out for Sales
Car seats can be a very expensive investment and it is great when you can find the seat you want at a great price. Just make sure you know what you are buying. Like nearly everything else in the world car seats get updated on a regular basis. And while you may not care if your cover is “so last year” you may not be getting as big of a bargain as you think you are.

If the car seat of your dreams is on sale for $175 instead of the regular $200 make sure you check it. It isn’t unusual to find that even the latest and greatest car seat has been sitting on the shelves for 6 months before you bring it home. If you are getting last years model your bargain car seat may already be 18 months old before your child sits in it for the first time. A new $200 car seat purchased from a reputable dealer will probably cost you about $2.85 per month over its 6 year life, but the discounted seat costs $3.25 per month over its life. Also that 18 months of life used sitting in the store may mean you need to buy a second replacement car seat. That $25 off sale price may not be such a savings after all.

It’s Just a Ploy
It seems that many parents are convinced that car seat manufacturers put an expiration date on their seats just so we have to buy more seats. After all, the cover may be faded but the rest of the seat looks fine. The problem is that it is the damage that you can’t see that can prove fatal for your child. Over time the plastic shells degrade and the harnesses can wear. The conditions in cars (extreme heat and cold) hasten the break down of these critical components. Not sure? Take a look at this crash test video of a 10 year Britax car seat:

http://home.comcast.net/~dcbsr/test/Britax_GMTV_Check_It_Fits_Child_Facing_Forwards_te n_years_old_seat.mpeg

Most of us have ridden in older cars. When cars are new all of that plastic is supple and gives but as cars age the plastic becomes brittle and cracks much more easily. The same is true with car seats. It isn’t pretty when the plastic console in your car cracks, but it can be life threatening when those cracks develop in the shell of your child’s car seat. While regular visual inspection is an important part of car seat safety that does not replace following the manufacture’s expiration date. An expired car seat should be destroyed and replaced immediately.

Final Thoughts
You wouldn’t let your children drink milk that was 2 weeks past its expiration date, and you probably at least glance at the date on a bottle of medicine before you give your child a dose. Shouldn’t you take the same care with your child’s car seat?

More Advice
Child Car Seat Safety - It's Not What You Have but How You Use It
http://www0.epinions.com/content_4692353156

Keep in mind that this is U.S. information so any weights, heights and car seat models vary between Canada and the US but the safety information does not.

kaj27
08-25-2007, 04:41 PM
No different than bike helmets. They expire also.

baseball 23
08-25-2007, 06:12 PM
Expiry dates are a marketing ploy from the manufacturers. Also used on the off chance that the safety standards happen to change from when manufactured. But for the most part, they do not "wear out". Do you replace your seatbelts in your car every 6 years? i thought not.

kaj27
08-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Expiry dates are a marketing ploy from the manufacturers. Also used on the off chance that the safety standards happen to change from when manufactured. But for the most part, they do not "wear out". Do you replace your seatbelts in your car every 6 years? i thought not.

You also don't remove your seatbelts or add new ones into a car. They are part of the car. Bolted to the frame.

Child seats are not.

jdcb
08-25-2007, 09:32 PM
You also don't remove your seatbelts or add new ones into a car. They are part of the car. Bolted to the frame.

Child seats are not.

they're not that hard to replace...(seatbelts)

kaj27
08-25-2007, 09:35 PM
they're not that hard to replace...(seatbelts)

I imagine they aren't. But my point is a car seat is removed (probably) daily. Where as a seat belt stays put. You could drop a car seat and compromise the safety of it. Can you drop a seat belt and damage it?

Just replace your car seats people, Is your child's life really worth a seat?

The above poster claiming that seat belts and car seats are comparable items is just nonsense.

MichelleM
08-25-2007, 10:25 PM
My daughters carseat was bought at sears top of the line, new in the store in 1999 supposed to be until 100 pounds and rarely taken out of the car. She is very small, almost 9 and is only 50pnds and 4ft tall.....so she should still be in the seat if you follow guidlines. I just happened to notice last year that the seat expired in 2005. She was still in the seat and should still be in it but it it is expired. Needless to say I was pissed...the seat didn't even last anywhere near what they were selling it as.

MichelleM
08-25-2007, 10:30 PM
also to add I stopped using the seat and when I saw somebody selling one I did let them know that it was expired.

mommyd
08-26-2007, 08:21 AM
seatbelts aren't made of plastic you ---- ----
And the straps in a car seat are less durable than the ones in a car which are much thicker.

baseball 23
08-26-2007, 09:13 AM
so the same plastic that will take a billion years to decompose is all of a sudden weaker in 5 years? If a car seat sits on a shelf for 5 years and never used, is it still weaker? We don't even replace seatbelts after an accident but you want to replace a car seat because of age, regardless of use?
I think people are hyper sensitive these days.
A booster seat, for instance, uses only the seat belts of the car and once it's installed in the car, rarely removed, essentially becoming part of the car. So i'm still supposed to replace a plastic booster seat, will another plastic seat, that uses the same seatbelts as restraints and somehow that is safer? The same plastic that will never degrade in a landfill has degraded in my car? BS. You'll all naiive to think so. Marketing works, expecially when it comes to safety with kids! If the standards change, then i agree, change the seat, even if it's only 6 months old, but if the car seat was safe at 4 years and 11 months, i still think it's safe at 5 years and 2 months. It's an arbitrary, made up number.

kaj27
08-26-2007, 12:06 PM
We don't even replace seatbelts after an accident

Now you are just spewing false information.

I had a car that I was in an accident in. Yes the air bags went off, but the seat belts were also part of the active restraint system. They had gas charged cylinders that took up the slack of the belt so you didn't slide forward as much.

The belts became useless after this.

macjc
08-26-2007, 07:04 PM
We don't even replace seatbelts after an accident.

wow, some people are so concerned on saving $200 to be cheap. so you leave a plastic car seat in the sun and in temperatures exceeding 100 degrees at times in cars, ya dont think that it will wear on the plastic, how can you think that it wouldnt lessen the integrity of the car seat. maybe some people, should think about their safety and think about safety. I am sure there is a safety factor in the 6 year claim, but why not be safe then sorry.

richunclepennywise
08-26-2007, 07:13 PM
Why worry about child saftey...you can always have more kids for free and a car seat would take up valuable Timmy's money.

MichelleM
08-26-2007, 07:13 PM
I think there is a safety issue but I don't think that it should be made more apparent by the manufacturer. They don't sell milk saying that it will last a month so they shouldn't be able to sell car seats saying they are good till 100 pounds knowing that they will expire before most children even come close to reaching this.

baseball 23
08-26-2007, 09:12 PM
Now you are just spewing false information.

I had a car that I was in an accident in. Yes the air bags went off, but the seat belts were also part of the active restraint system. They had gas charged cylinders that took up the slack of the belt so you didn't slide forward as much.

The belts became useless after this.

Ok, if your car has pretensioners in your seatbelts, they become useless after an accident yes. I guarantee less than 50% of the cars on the road have pretensioners. But anyway, not my point.

It's not that car seats are expensive, $150 - $200 every couple of years for safety is likely worthwhile to make sure you have an up to date car seat, i agree. What i am saying is, show me the science. I've never heard of plastice degrading like that, yes it becomes brittle in extreme cold, new plastic would too, and more supple in extreme heat, same as new plastic. I just don't understand how this same plastic that won't break down in landfill conditions, where everything will decompose, plastic will not, but it will in my car. I just need it explained to me, show me the science.

Like i said, i think it's a good idea anyway to make sure your car seat is up to today's standards, but in the words of Judge Judy, "don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining"

mommyd
08-27-2007, 10:30 AM
There is a HUUUUUUUGE difference between decomposition and a break down in condition of parts in a child's car seat. By you saying what you say, you're basically saying that anything made of plastic never breaks or wears down. A car seat is at the most used every day.. having the weight on it like that (especially the weight of an evergaining child)over the years WILL start to compromise the plastic.. because.. it's PLASTIC. And if you are using an expired seat, and are in a moderate to severe car crash, that accident may very well be "the straw that breaks the camel's back"

NO.. a car seat that is 6 years and 2 months probably isn't going to be worse off than one that is 5 years and 8 months. The 6 years is most likely an on average age. Maybe there is still a good year or more you can get out of it before it will be out of commission, but why take that chance? In my opinion, if this was a ploy to get ppl to buy more seats, they would have made the expiration date less than 6 years.

Also.. milk expiration dates are basicly just an on average date, where they know that within a few days/week it WILL be bad and shouldn't be consumed.. they know the milk will be bad a little while after this date because they know what they are doing and have learned that *some time* after X amount of days it'll be bad... but they don't know the exact day..the milk doesn't just go bad over night after that expiration date. Same with the car seats.. they didn't just PICK a day in the future where the seat will be "bad".. there's experience and studies done.. in the past they likely didn't have expiration dates on seats.. but after x amount of child injuries/deaths through faulty (old) car seats.. they figure they should look into it, and voila, a large percentage of those injuries/deaths probably occured in a car seat that was manufactured over 6 years prior to it malfunctioning.

If you put a car seat in your car and never put a child in it, it will be in better condition than one that sees a kid every day after 6 years, obviously. It's called wear and tear. And about it being unused for x amount of years and it magicly is unsafe after maybe a couple months of use.. that's not how it works.. The company doesn't know what happens to these seats once they leave the factory, how many people might get their hands on it in the future for using with their children, if people will be buying them at yard sales, etc etc.. stating the expiry date after date of manufacture is THE easiest and most reliable way. If i were to ever buy one at a yard sale, first i would look at the date of manufacture.. if it's been 6 years since then, i would not buy it.. why? because i am assuming this has been through at least one child and has been through some rough times.. Maybe even an accident.. you Never Know.

Do you have kids? would you have put them in a car seat that is over 6 years old? I think most people most likely wouldn't take that chance.

If i was going to have a few children (i only have one) i wouldn't think it a big deal to spend $100-$300 every SIX years.

Ok, if your car has pretensioners in your seatbelts, they become useless after an accident yes. I guarantee less than 50% of the cars on the road have pretensioners. But anyway, not my point.

It's not that car seats are expensive, $150 - $200 every couple of years for safety is likely worthwhile to make sure you have an up to date car seat, i agree. What i am saying is, show me the science. I've never heard of plastice degrading like that, yes it becomes brittle in extreme cold, new plastic would too, and more supple in extreme heat, same as new plastic. I just don't understand how this same plastic that won't break down in landfill conditions, where everything will decompose, plastic will not, but it will in my car. I just need it explained to me, show me the science.

Like i said, i think it's a good idea anyway to make sure your car seat is up to today's standards, but in the words of Judge Judy, "don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining"

Cherry Pop
08-27-2007, 11:09 AM
I really don't get the whole arguement here. My daughter was never in a car seat long enough for it to expire! The backfacing one she was in for a year, the frontfacing one - two years, the 3in1 - 4 years and the booster seat that she is now in for 2 years. I found she out grow the seats before they would ever expire. I understand the safety concern but I think if parents used the the weight and height requirements they would find that the car seats wouldn't even last 6 years. Another thing is this date of expiration new because the first time I had ever heard about it was about two months ago from my sister-in-law who just had a baby last year?!

mizunderstood
08-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Since there are expire dates on car seats...What are the rules on cribs? how long are they good for?

s4q19
08-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Qoute from the New York Times:

"CAR SEATS There are federal laws regulating safety standards for car seats, but no expiration dates, according to the federal National Highway Traffic Safety Administration."

I just find it funny how the government organization doesn't see a need to put an expiration date on the car seats, only the manufacturers. But there'd be no reason for a manufacturer to put something like an expiration date on, now would there?

If car manufacturers came out tomorow, and said their air bags expired after 6 years of use, there would be millions of people outraged.

I agree with Baseball... show me the science, and I would gladly change my tune if somebody showed me a study, or an experiment or something proving the need for these expiration dates. And it's not even 100% about "An extra 200-300 dollars every 6 years", it's about companies ripping people off and excessive and completly needless waste for me.

trinity
08-27-2007, 11:28 AM
I believe manufacturers are just covering their corporate butts by doing this if there are no actual regulations requiring it; if a car seat is used for such a long time and parts wear out and then after 8 long years an accident happens, they don't want it to be their fault or their name in the news.
It is the same fearmongering and industrial bush-beating that is leading us into ruin as far as bacteria is concerned, all those commercials that scare you into using those antibacterial wipes and sprays and soaps and (FFS!) "cart sanitizers!" etc. All they are doing is breeding bigger and better GERMS. I wish no one would use them, but I know the advertising industry has so many of you hoodwinked. Does anyone remember the CODCO sketch about "Modabo"- it was a commercial where no one knew what the product was but they wanted to create a need for everyone to buy it?

mizunderstood
08-28-2007, 12:22 PM
Just wanted to post this site about rear facing seats. SOmething I didnt know... check it out.
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/StayRearFacing.aspx

sarahnb
08-28-2007, 01:54 PM
My youngest is still rearfacing at 25 months and 27 lbs. We had a car accident a year ago and i fractured my spine. I want to protect hers as long as possible.

MichelleM
08-28-2007, 02:30 PM
I once read that it is best to keep your child rear faceing as long as possible, that ideally it should be until age 2

suesguy
08-28-2007, 03:18 PM
It has nothing to do with the plastic wearing out etc...it is just seats get safer as time goes by.

There is some controversy about the "expiration" date for safety seats. All experts agree that a seat should be discarded and destroyed if it is more than 10 years old, even if it looks fine. Most manufacturers suggest replacing a seat 5 to 8 years after the date of manufacture, because current safety seats may have better safety features than older seats, such as a tether or air bag warnings. The date of manufacture may be found on a sticker on the seat (unless it has peeled off) and may be stamped into the plastic shell. However, don’t confuse patent dates, which can also be molded into the plastic, with the date the individual safety seat was manufactured. For more information

FutureChief88
08-29-2007, 01:38 PM

I totally agree~

FutureChief88
08-29-2007, 01:43 PM
There is a HUUUUUUUGE difference between decomposition and a break down in condition of parts in a child's car seat. By you saying what you say, you're basically saying that anything made of plastic never breaks or wears down. A car seat is at the most used every day.. having the weight on it like that (especially the weight of an evergaining child)over the years WILL start to compromise the plastic.. because.. it's PLASTIC. And if you are using an expired seat, and are in a moderate to severe car crash, that accident may very well be "the straw that breaks the camel's back"

NO.. a car seat that is 6 years and 2 months probably isn't going to be worse off than one that is 5 years and 8 months. The 6 years is most likely an on average age. Maybe there is still a good year or more you can get out of it before it will be out of commission, but why take that chance? In my opinion, if this was a ploy to get ppl to buy more seats, they would have made the expiration date less than 6 years.

Also.. milk expiration dates are basicly just an on average date, where they know that within a few days/week it WILL be bad and shouldn't be consumed.. they know the milk will be bad a little while after this date because they know what they are doing and have learned that *some time* after X amount of days it'll be bad... but they don't know the exact day..the milk doesn't just go bad over night after that expiration date. Same with the car seats.. they didn't just PICK a day in the future where the seat will be "bad".. there's experience and studies done.. in the past they likely didn't have expiration dates on seats.. but after x amount of child injuries/deaths through faulty (old) car seats.. they figure they should look into it, and voila, a large percentage of those injuries/deaths probably occured in a car seat that was manufactured over 6 years prior to it malfunctioning.

If you put a car seat in your car and never put a child in it, it will be in better condition than one that sees a kid every day after 6 years, obviously. It's called wear and tear. And about it being unused for x amount of years and it magicly is unsafe after maybe a couple months of use.. that's not how it works.. The company doesn't know what happens to these seats once they leave the factory, how many people might get their hands on it in the future for using with their children, if people will be buying them at yard sales, etc etc.. stating the expiry date after date of manufacture is THE easiest and most reliable way. If i were to ever buy one at a yard sale, first i would look at the date of manufacture.. if it's been 6 years since then, i would not buy it.. why? because i am assuming this has been through at least one child and has been through some rough times.. Maybe even an accident.. you Never Know.

Do you have kids? would you have put them in a car seat that is over 6 years old? I think most people most likely wouldn't take that chance.

If i was going to have a few children (i only have one) i wouldn't think it a big deal to spend $100-$300 every SIX years.

We all know that things get "old" and "unuseable" .. But i think the point that baseball was trying to make was that, if there is SOO much hype about plastics and all that stuff not decomposing FOREVER... then how in gods name could a car seat decompose over 6 years. There is no amount of wear and tear in the world that could do that to thick plastic like a car seat.. in 6 years. Just my opinion. I truly believe that it is a huge marketing scam. And the media and certain business have made it impossible for people to live anymore. Everyone is worried about everything.. No wonder we have people that wont leave their house because they are scared to move without dying. LOL

richunclepennywise
08-29-2007, 07:09 PM
of course we all realize that plastics don't decompose, but the do become brittle. Although I can't see how an easily broken car seat would compromise safety some people might.

sarahnb
08-29-2007, 07:31 PM
If it would turn out, I would take a picture of my heavy duty Little Tikes picnic table that is riddled with hairline cracks. The cracks are not from misuse but from exposure to outdoor temperatures over the 7 yrs we've had it. Plastic does break down. Combine that with improvements to safety as well as wear and tear and that is why car seats have expiry dates..

s4q19
08-29-2007, 07:55 PM
But people are just repeating the same things over and over, Exposure to elements. That's what makes it break down. I'd hope a child safety seat would use a little higher grade plastic than anything that comes out of the Little Tikes factory. If a government agency comes out and says they don't recognize any sort of expiration date on these things, and I've yet to see any proof in needing them (not saying it doesn't exist, just saying there's yet to be proof shown) then I'm staying skeptical. I'm not saying it's complete BS and it's absolutely wrong, it just doesn't make much sense.

The improvements in safety argument is a decent one, but at that point it becomes a recomendation (much like bicycle helmets) as opposed to an expiry date. An Expiry date means that after this date, this product will no longer provide the same services as it did before the expiry date.

sarahnb
08-29-2007, 08:21 PM
Ok, I was simply trying to provide information to parents who care about their kids. If people want to use expired, out of date car seats for their kids, then fine, that's their perogative. But don't come crying when your child's life/safety is compromised because you were too stubborn to spend a few extra bucks to provide them with a safe seat. I'm pretty sure that if you took the time to go to a car seat clinic, provided by Transport canada, not the car seat manufacturers, they could set you straight.

s4q19
08-29-2007, 08:39 PM
Well, I took the time to research what little information I could find on the issue, and the only thing I came up with was this:

Qoute from the New York Times:

"CAR SEATS There are federal laws regulating safety standards for car seats, but no expiration dates, according to the federal National Highway Traffic Safety Administration."

The Federal National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is the american version of Transport Canada, well, only their more focused on Safety. If somebody could show me some sort of study or something by a reputable source stating the opposite, I'd change my tune. I just don't really like the idea of blindly believing a biased corporation in a matter like this.

Besides, I hope you didn't expect to post a topic on Isaintjohn and not have it debated. That just doesn't happen.

FutureChief88
08-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Ok, I was simply trying to provide information to parents who care about their kids. If people want to use expired, out of date car seats for their kids, then fine, that's their perogative. But don't come crying when your child's life/safety is compromised because you were too stubborn to spend a few extra bucks to provide them with a safe seat. I'm pretty sure that if you took the time to go to a car seat clinic, provided by Transport canada, not the car seat manufacturers, they could set you straight.

So you are saying that people that use expired car seats dont care about their children.. Thats a pretty broad statement.

I understand the whole "concept" of an expiry date.. but as s4q19 was saying.. They are not mandatory by the government.. so who makes this a law? And yes .. plastic DOES get brittle.. when exposed to elements and whatnot.. but like s4q19 says.. Its gotta be better plastic than a little tikes toy that is designed to break in a few years so youll by more of it. With saftey issues.. and children.. You are right.. You cannot comprimise. But dont you think that its a little out there to say that your child will now NOT be safe as of this date. U would think they would make them a bit more durable if they get "so bad" that a child should not be using them .. in 6 years.
I would just imagine .. that if this WAS the case.. they would take measurments to protect children .. rather than telling parents to just go out and buy a new carseat.

sarahnb
08-30-2007, 08:09 PM
I was using the picnic table as an example. Obviusly they would use a better grade of plastic.

http://www.childsafetylink.ca/upload_content/factsheets/Guide_to%20Car%20Seats.pdf

"If you are using an old or used car seat, check to be sure:
– it is less than 10 years old
– has never been in a crash
– is not older than the manufacturer’s expiry date"

s4q19
08-30-2007, 08:25 PM
So I once built this house out of popsicle sticks and it fell to the ground, therefore, houses built out of wood will do so just as easily? Just comparing apples to oranges.

The pamphlet says not to use past the manufacturer's expiry date. I can say that over and over again... doesn't make it acurate. Besides, the pamplet itself gives differing opinions. It says 10 years, most manufacturers say 5 - 6. I can just hear the conversation that went on in that boardroom.

Boss "Charlie, think of a quick, effective way to double sales."

Charlie "Well, why don't we cut the recommended replacement date in half, and call it an expiry date!"

Boss - with a little tear running down his cheek "Charlie, it's men like you that make the corporate world go round."

So we have two government influenced opinions that are conflicting? How do we tell which one is accurate... geez. We may never know.

I've got a question, and I really, honestly don't know the answer to this I'm just asking. But do things like walkers, strollers and swings have expiry dates? While surely a malfunction in one of these devices wouldn't be nearly as life threatening as a car child seat malfuctioning in a crash, it could do serious damage.

sanstu
08-30-2007, 10:39 PM
My youngest is still rearfacing at 25 months and 27 lbs. We had a car accident a year ago and i fractured my spine. I want to protect hers as long as possible.

My husband was hit head-on last year and suffered multiple fractures. The impact was so hard that it literally "blew out" the back seats.( the backrests that can be folded down to increase the trunk space) Had an older child been rear facing it could have caused serious leg injuries. A car seat with a 5 point harness will keep the child in their seat with minimal movement.

MichelleM
08-30-2007, 10:48 PM
The article that I had read in regards to keeping your child rear fafcing longer had nothing to do with keeping the child in place, it was to protect there head and neck because they are still very fragile. If an adult can get whiplash or a neck injury then it would be much easier for a baby to get it or worse. The article also stated that they were trying to change it so that it would require rear facing longer. If I can find it I will post it. Also the guidline for rear facing states till at least age one or 20pnds not that you should switch them as soon as they reach this.

sanstu
08-30-2007, 10:58 PM
The article that I had read in regards to keeping your child rear fafcing longer had nothing to do with keeping the child in place, it was to protect there head and neck because they are still very fragile. If an adult can get whiplash or a neck injury then it would be much easier for a baby to get it or worse. The article also stated that they were trying to change it so that it would require rear facing longer. If I can find it I will post it. Also the guidline for rear facing states till at least age one or 20pnds not that you should switch them as soon as they reach this.

If the restraints on the car seat are properly adjusted there is minimal body movement for the child. An adult does not have a 5 point harness to secure them, hence the amount of movement upon impact, coupled with the seat belt locking. I was simply pointing out what can happen if a larger child is rear facing without proper space for their legs. Certainly the choice is up to the parent.

MichelleM
08-30-2007, 11:06 PM
The body doesn't move but the childs head would. I think it would depend on how long the childs legs are. That child is less than 30pounds and could still be pretty small.
I think an even bigger issue is car seats not secured properly, no locking clip etc. It is great to have your child in a seat but if it is not installed properly then it cannot protect your child as it should.

ladybug
08-31-2007, 01:22 AM
I know that this has swayed a bit off the original topic, but I needed to chime in here on keeping kids rearfacing. Just because a toddler is in a 5 point harness does not mean they are safe in a collision. It's really best to keep them rearfacing for the maximum weight of your carseat (most in Canada go to 30lbs). In Europe kids are rearfacing until 3-4 years of age, and have much lower rates of injuries.

This video, done by a CSRT (Child Safety Restrainst Technician) for her niece really tells it all. No corporate fear-mongering, no marketing, just genuine concern for her nieces safety. As well this video shows crash test footage, of a rear-facing seat, then a child forward facing in a 5pt harness. There's no doubt my son will be rear-facing until he reaches 30 lbs!

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRP7ynNI8mI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRP7ynNI8mI)

If you'd like more info, here's more on why it's best to keep our kids rear-facing.

http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

sanstu
08-31-2007, 06:40 AM
The guidelines, I believe, are based on the Height of the child as well as well as the weight of the child.( most infant seats, I believe, have a weight of aprox. 20lbs) My concerns stemed from personal experience in a high impact collision. As I also said it is a parents personal choice. (remember anyone can post info on the internet, doesn't mean it's correct/true) One has to use common sense!!!

Lady_Athena
08-31-2007, 11:42 AM
Sarah, Thanks for the reminder that we should always check our car seats and be weary when buying second hand. I understood your intent and I appreciate it. Irreplaceable precious cargo is all I have to say!

macjc
08-31-2007, 09:09 PM
From http://www0.epinions.com/content_4753956996

Milk has an Expiration Date and so Does Your Car Seat!
May 27 '06 (Updated Aug 31 '06)

The Bottom Line Know when you child's car seat expires and destroy it when it does.

I dare say that most people who are parents now never rode in a car seat as children. Many of us didn’t even use the car seat belts when riding around town. We scrambled to ride in the “way back” of the family station wagon. Times have changed. In many places you can’t leave the hospital unless you have an approved child safety seat.

While car child safety has definitely improved dramatically in the last 30 years we still have a long way to go. Use of car seats is at an all time high, but proper use stills remains only in the 10 - 20% range; yet everyone believes they are using them correctly. Education is key. Loose and twisted straps, improperly secured seats and children who do not meet the height and/or weight limit for the seat they are riding in are common mistakes. Something often overlooked is the expiration date of the car seat.

Car Seats Expire?
I am amazed at how many parents are unaware that car seats have a life limit. Most manufacturers put a limit of 6 years on their car seats, but not all. The best place to find this information is inside the instruction manual that came with your car seat. If you can’t find the information (or the instruction manual) call the manufacturer and find out. And don’t forget to ask for another manual, most companies provide them for free.

Once you know the life span of your car seat you need to check out the seat. On the car seat you will find a sticker or label with the make and model of your car seat along with the date of manufacture. Car seats expire from their date of manufacture, not the date you received the seat or first installed it in your car. It is important enough to repeat - most car seats are good for no more than 6 years from the date they were manufactured.

What Does the Expiration Date Mean for You?
So often I hear people excited that they purchased a car seat that claims it is the only one they will ever need. These 3-in-1 car seats (like the Cosco Alpha Omega or the Safety 1st Intera) can be used rear facing for infants, forward facing for toddlers and as booster seats for young children. However since you will have at most 6 years of use and most children should be in a booster seat until they are at least 8 these all-in-one car seats should not be the last one you buy. By then, your child may only need a booster seat, but it is important to remember that these seats will expire before you child is ready to go without it. This also means that the expensive high weight limit car seat (such as the Britax Regent) that you buy with the idea of using it for all of your children will probably only make it 1/2 way through your second child, if you’re lucky, before you need to buy another one.

Resist the urge to register for a convertible car seat for your baby shower. It is tempting to ask someone else to purchase the seat for you, and how nice to have the seat sitting in a closet ready to go. But if you use an infant carrier for your baby don’t be surprised to find out that your shower gift is almost two years old before you get to use it, that’s 1/3 of its lifespan gone. Instead consider buying (or asking for) a convertible car seat for your child’s first birthday, even if it needs to be an early birthday present.

Watch Out for Sales
Car seats can be a very expensive investment and it is great when you can find the seat you want at a great price. Just make sure you know what you are buying. Like nearly everything else in the world car seats get updated on a regular basis. And while you may not care if your cover is “so last year” you may not be getting as big of a bargain as you think you are.

If the car seat of your dreams is on sale for $175 instead of the regular $200 make sure you check it. It isn’t unusual to find that even the latest and greatest car seat has been sitting on the shelves for 6 months before you bring it home. If you are getting last years model your bargain car seat may already be 18 months old before your child sits in it for the first time. A new $200 car seat purchased from a reputable dealer will probably cost you about $2.85 per month over its 6 year life, but the discounted seat costs $3.25 per month over its life. Also that 18 months of life used sitting in the store may mean you need to buy a second replacement car seat. That $25 off sale price may not be such a savings after all.

It’s Just a Ploy
It seems that many parents are convinced that car seat manufacturers put an expiration date on their seats just so we have to buy more seats. After all, the cover may be faded but the rest of the seat looks fine. The problem is that it is the damage that you can’t see that can prove fatal for your child. Over time the plastic shells degrade and the harnesses can wear. The conditions in cars (extreme heat and cold) hasten the break down of these critical components. Not sure? Take a look at this crash test video of a 10 year Britax car seat:

http://home.comcast.net/~dcbsr/test/Britax_GMTV_Check_It_Fits_Child_Facing_Forwards_te n_years_old_seat.mpeg

Most of us have ridden in older cars. When cars are new all of that plastic is supple and gives but as cars age the plastic becomes brittle and cracks much more easily. The same is true with car seats. It isn’t pretty when the plastic console in your car cracks, but it can be life threatening when those cracks develop in the shell of your child’s car seat. While regular visual inspection is an important part of car seat safety that does not replace following the manufacture’s expiration date. An expired car seat should be destroyed and replaced immediately.

Final Thoughts
You wouldn’t let your children drink milk that was 2 weeks past its expiration date, and you probably at least glance at the date on a bottle of medicine before you give your child a dose. Shouldn’t you take the same care with your child’s car seat?

More Advice
Child Car Seat Safety - It's Not What You Have but How You Use It
http://www0.epinions.com/content_4692353156

Keep in mind that this is U.S. information so any weights, heights and car seat models vary between Canada and the US but the safety information does not.

Why do car seats have expiration dates?
You may have heard that car seats have expiration dates. It's true, they do. There are concrete and important reasons why we must retire our trusty seats after a certain time.

Take some time to look through the galleries at right. We have provided photos of some popular car seats and where to look for the date of manufacture and expiration dates. These labels also may include model, serial and batch numbers. The companies don't always make this process easy. This is especially true when the date is found molded into the plastic. We did our best to help you find the appropriate information for certain child seats. If you need more guidance finding this information on your particular model, contact your manufacturer or post your question and we'll try and assist you. We will grow our photo library over time to address additional seats.

If you've looked at the photos, you understand that there are indeed manufacturer expiration dates. We found that dates can be as many as 8 years and in some cases as little as 5. Parents should know that NHTSA instructs it's techs and both Safe Kids and the Juvenile Product Manufacturers Association agree that no seat should be used for more than a period of 6 years from its date of manufacture. What should the public take from this? They should note both experts and seat manufacturers agree that seats do have a finite lifespan. Best practice would be to retire that seat after 6 years. That is of course unless your car seat manufacturer states that its lifespan is 5 years. Always consult your seat markings, labels and manual for this information.

Let's say you're on board so far. Now, you need to know the reasons why they expire.

Technology changes

Car seat technology is always evolving, as are vehicles' ability to secure seats properly and consistently. Before 2002, Lower Anchor & Tethers for Children (LATCH) did not exist. Now it's a common system by which car seats are installed. The same is true of top tethers on car seats and tether anchors in cars. A skilled technician would never think to bypass tether usage if it is an option. This technology exists to make our children safer.

Materials wear out

Plastic stresses and warps. Straps and fabrics fray and rip. Instruction manuals get lost or destroyed. Important instructional labels fade, tear or fall off completely.

Manufacturing landscapes change

Your manufacturer may no longer stocks replacement manuals and parts. Maybe the company has gone out of business entirely.

The bottom line is this: Know how to check your car seat's expiration date and vital information. Retire that old car seat and get a new one if necessary. Also, sign up for our Express Recall Service. It's FREE and will not only notify you if your seat has been recalled, but will also remind you when your seat is expiring. As always, ask for help. Contact a CPS technician for some curb-side instruction.

Posted by Safety Squad on August 14, 2007 at

FutureChief88
09-01-2007, 09:08 AM
Boss "Charlie, think of a quick, effective way to double sales."

Charlie "Well, why don't we cut the recommended replacement date in half, and call it an expiry date!"

Boss - with a little tear running down his cheek "Charlie, it's men like you that make the corporate world go round."

HA! :rofl:

mizunderstood
09-02-2007, 09:10 PM
Car seat Recall
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>share_data={max_recipients:20}</SCRIPT>Share (http://www.*************/note.php?note_id=18010374240#)
6:59pm Today
Transport Canada is advising the public that when in forward-facing mode, the harness system that holds the child into the seat can loosen on the Cosco, Eddie Bauer and Safety 1st 3 in 1 car seats. This creates slack in the harness system, which reduces the effectiveness of the child seat in the event of a vehicle collision and could create excessive movement of the child's body and head, which could lead to serious injury.

This recall will affect 314,433 units. The following models (dates of manufacture: November 1, 2003 to December 31, 2005) are affected:

Cosco Alpha Omega: 22C15BNP, 22C15CRK, 22C15ROR, 22C15TUX, 22C26BNG, 22C26GRH
Cosco Alpha Omega Elite: 22C51HMR, 22C51TRP, 22155CSPH
Eddie Bauer 3 in 1: 22C75AFD, 22C75ARD, 22C75EBN, 22C75MPB, 22C76SHL
Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3 in 1: 22C71BGL, 22C71BLD, 22C71MAC, 22756CLRS, 22756CBAL, 22757CMRC, 22757CLKM
Safety 1st Enspira: 22C50TWL, 22C50WFD
Safety 1st Intera: 22C46BDF, 22C46BDN, 22C46BKY, 22C46GEO
Dorel Juvenile Group, Inc. and Dorel Distribution Canada have completed an intensive research program to develop an engineering solution. Part of this effort involves a change of supplier for the centre front adjuster. The new centre front adjuster does not allow for harness slippage. The fix offered by the company is a knit adjuster strap, instead of a woven strap, which will eliminate any slippage.

Consumers who have completed and returned their registration card will receive notice by mail. Those who have not sent in the registration card should contact Dorel Distribution Canada at the toll free number (1-800-219-0540) or via email at aopublicnotice@djgusa.com.<WBR></WBR>

Until the replacement adjuster strap is received, Dorel Distribution Canada recommends the continued use of the product. Consumers should not return the affected units to a retailer.

A Public Notice was issued by Transport Canada on August 31, 2007, and further information on the Cosco, Eddie Bauer and Safety 1st car seat harness slippage can be found on Transport Canada's website at: www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/ch<WBR></WBR>ildsafety/notices/tp14566P<WBR></WBR>/2007p05/menu.htm