PDA

View Full Version : Liquidation World?

Chinna Dah
01-05-2007, 07:42 PM
So it has been open for a couple months now, what do you all think of it. I have been there 2 times. once in November and again today, honestly the stock looked the same, the empty shelves looked the same, the dirtiness of the store looked the same. first time I went I spent about 15 dollars on a few stocking stuffers for my mom, and today nothing, and my mom spent about 7 bucks.

I cant see me returning very often, and hope they roll the stock over more, and clean the place up, for a brand new store it sure is dirty.

dittydottie
01-05-2007, 08:01 PM
I have been there 3 times now and I agree nothing much as changed as far as inventory goes. I was in there last week and I nearly froze, I even said to one of thegirls stocking a shelf about how cold it was and I would never be able to work there.It reminds me of Mardens in Calasis(aka "A Junk Store")

hiph0p
01-05-2007, 08:07 PM
i don't think it will be open very long the onl thing i've baught ther is junk food and laundry soap

Chinna Dah
01-05-2007, 08:13 PM
It reminds me of Mardens in Calasis(aka "A Junk Store")

I love Mardens, and I would drive an hour to get to Mardens before I would go to Liquidation World again.

babydoll101
01-05-2007, 08:31 PM
I have been there a couple of times as well. I agree with chinna Dah I love Mardens too. They always have something I want. Not Liquidation World.

trinity
01-05-2007, 08:40 PM
i bought a microwave/toaster oven combo there, for 60$ it's working out pretty well for me. I had to be restrained from buying the chocolate fountain, I'd never been seen again. :-) I did find a few other good deals, and when I need a new couch, I know where I will be looking first.

hiph0p
01-05-2007, 08:57 PM
I love Mardens, and I would drive an hour to get to Mardens before I would go to Liquidation World again.

Mardens is FAR from junk... i would rather drive the hour too!! the have nae brand sneakers i buy my kidsfor 5 bucks!! cheap kenmore vacuums! and $1.00 cereals and my kis love cereal! and othr house hold items that are cheap and summer garden decortations i love that store i wish we had one i would shop everyday

hiph0p
01-05-2007, 08:57 PM
i bought a microwave/toaster oven combo there, for 60$ it's working out pretty well for me. I had to be restrained from buying the chocolate fountain, I'd never been seen again. :-) I did find a few other good deals, and when I need a new couch, I know where I will be looking first.

yeah they have some nice couches

T-Diddy
01-05-2007, 09:26 PM
I didn't find the prices there that great. after all the hoopla about the stores grand opening, I was honestly expecting more.

Cherry Pop
01-05-2007, 11:04 PM
I went there once and didn't buy a thing. I kept saying to my mom the whole time, I could get this at the dollar store for a dollar. I found most of the stuff was junk. I looooooooooooooooooooooove mardens though. $5.00 purses that are normally $30-$40 are definately not junk not to me at least.

The_Dave
01-05-2007, 11:58 PM
Nothing but garbage, they are out to make a quick buck.

icedragon
01-06-2007, 02:39 AM
where is this place at? Where and what is a mardens?

Chinna Dah
01-06-2007, 07:16 AM
Liquidation World is on Thorne Ave by Rothesay Ave in the old Kent building.

Mardens is in Calais Maine, just across the border from St Stephen. Just go through the border, drive a minute and it is on the right.

user5624
01-06-2007, 09:03 AM
I went to Liquidation World twice, I didn't find anything either. I don't plan on going back.

Marden's is great though. I love going there.

icedragon
01-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Now that you mention calais I remember. We go to Bangor all the time and one of the stops is at that Marvins. I have never been in there as I thought it was more of a womans type of store. I guess I just base that on what my wife had purchased in the past.(shoes, purses, ect.) I don't recall her saying anything about tools so I have never felt the urge to go in. Anyway, this other store in the old kent building, Is this some type of end-of-line product store?

murraydow
01-06-2007, 10:20 AM
Mardins is definately not just a woman's store.
I have bought many items at greatly reduced prices.
I reciently bought 22" name brand (Tricon) wiper blades for $2.00 each.
They sell for about 22 - 24 around here.
I also bought a craftman motorcycle jack for 69.00 and 50' of yellow soft
air hose for the compressor for $4.99
I will bypass Thorne Ave from now on....not impressed at all!
The old Kent store in St.Stephen is changing to a Liquidation World as well.
They will never be able to compete with Mardens that close.

JIm C.
01-06-2007, 10:23 AM
I've been to LW a few times I always find something different

true a lot of it is the same stuff but if you look closely

you can find some good deals.....

But to I'm hoping we get a princes auto here some day

or a XS cargo store

checkout the Xs web site it doesn't do the store justice..

http://www.xscargo.com/search.php

I've been the one in halifax and check out their flyer some

really good deal...

Chinna Dah
01-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Now that you mention calais I remember. We go to Bangor all the time and one of the stops is at that Marvins.

There is no Mardens in Bangor (not Marvins), there is one in Ellesworth and one in Brewer. so you might be thinking of a different store.

The mardins in Calais have a TON of tools and man stuff.

I bought 3 pairs of red tab Levis for 18 bucks and a pair of Nike sneakers for 24 bucks. We also buy alot of our material there for sewing. Mom bought 2 Columbia fleece jackets for 8 bucks each...so no, it is not junk.

Here is a link to thier site
http://www.mardens.com/index.asp?action=stores

icedragon
01-06-2007, 10:57 AM
There is no Mardens in Bangor (not Marvins), there is one in Ellesworth and one in Brewer. so you might be thinking of a different store.

The mardins in Calais have a TON of tools and man stuff.

I bought 3 pairs of red tab Levis for 18 bucks and a pair of Nike sneakers for 24 bucks. We also buy alot of our material there for sewing. Mom bought 2 Columbia fleece jackets for 8 bucks each...so no, it is not junk.

Here is a link to thier site
http://www.mardens.com/index.asp?action=stores

We stop at the one in Calais prior to continuing our trip to Bangor

Chinna Dah
01-06-2007, 11:19 AM
ohhhhh

Crystalbeach
01-10-2007, 10:56 AM
I really thought it was going to be great to have this store in town...but I'm really disappointed...the shelves are mostly empty and what's left is the same old stuff that was there since opening.
I thought it was going to replace Marden's for me..but not a chance.

drakelogan
01-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Yes i agree the liduidation store seems like a smaller washed up version of Mardins to me too....however i think that it is not compareable with Mardins when it comes to stock !!! I thought that the liquidation store was OK however they need to get new stock in if they want Saint John'ers to frequent that store...personally i'm sick of looking at the same thing everytime i go in there!! and all the anticipation of the opening was a big disapointment....I love Mardins but i hate the way i'm treated when i cross that border...like a criminal...i don't care if i ever return to tell the truth...!!

Mandi
01-11-2007, 04:42 PM
and all the anticipation of the opening was a big disapointment....I love Mardins but i hate the way i'm treated when i cross that border...like a criminal...i don't care if i ever return to tell the truth...!!
Mardin's isn't my favorite store, but I do enjoy going every now and again.
What do you mean about crossing the border? the actual act,(border patrol people.) or the being in the us part?

pepsimama
01-11-2007, 09:06 PM
We went to LW and bought mostly junk food and household cleaners... However, I LOVE some of their furniture! I would probably look there for my next sofa if they are still around.

puppyluv
01-12-2007, 08:11 AM
something to remember with the furniture...what kind of warranty, and where do you go if it is defective and they arent around?

sjchickie
01-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Liquadation world for sure has the same stock but mardins is DIRTY to the highest degree wow...its got some nice stuff for great deals but i mean its not well kept at all...liquadation world could be cleaned up a bit but i still think mardins is dirty ...great shoe selection though

Mandi
01-13-2007, 03:16 PM
Liquadation world for sure has the same stock but mardins is DIRTY to the highest degree wow...its got some nice stuff for great deals but i mean its not well kept at all...liquadation world could be cleaned up a bit but i still think mardins is dirty ...great shoe selection though
I thought it was quite dirty as well. (was beginning to think I was the only one.) And it seems to me that when you cross the border, they care less about clean washrooms as well. Maybe I just go at bad times, but the washrooms are always really gross compaired to ours... o.o The only 'clean' one I have ever been to was the Irving where we ate.

I was so hopeful for liquidation world, I still haven't been there but after reading everything and hearing what dear ol' mommy said about the place, I don't know if I should make the time to go.
Is LW really not worth the time?

sjchickie
01-13-2007, 03:20 PM
I liked it> I got lighters for 38 cents....christmas paper for under a dollar...bows ribbons...i got my daughter some cheap clothing. Grocery items such as gold fish and ritz crackers are less there. I got a NICE NHL hockey lampshade for 1$ ...christmas gifts...they have neato puzzles for kids. I dunno i go there often...I mean even if the stock in the same most of the time its worth it to me to save that for dollars.

tjfresh
01-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Like all Liquidation outlets, you'll notice they set up in long time "empty buildings" for cheap rent, they do minimal "fixing up" all to keep the prices low, that's what these chains are all about, low prices. as for the junk people see there, it's all products that didn't, or wouldn't sell in normal retail stores. Lets give a little credit to the store, they do have some good deals, and they do have some good stuff there, just look past the dirty floors, and cold temps. they're currently employing many people in our city whilst bringing us bargain prices. I bought a couch set there and saved a ton of $$$$, it was new and tough, I'm 100% satisfied with it.

My suggestion, take a quick peek every two to four weeks, they're stock changes every week you know, of course with exception to the stuff on the shelves that people just don't want. I myself welcome them to Saint John and encourage you guys to give the a second chance. see ya there!

Tj Fresh

rubycshells
01-22-2007, 08:21 PM
I got a $90 Chef's knife for $6.:biggrin:

The_Dave
01-22-2007, 11:16 PM
They just buy someone else's junk that they could not sell or went out of business and resell it to you to make a profit. They will not be here long.

sjchickie
01-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Well I hope they are hear to stay :) I enjoy browsing...all cities have discount stores like Liquidation world thats what i miss about Toronto so many great stores to get what your looking for cheap....cheers to liquadation world...if ya dont like it dont go in

Foxhound
01-24-2007, 10:49 PM
I've driven by Liquidation World a few times and there has been 1 or 2 cars in front that maybe owned by an employee. Its a sad scene but anyway, how long do you guys think until Liquidation World closes its doors?

eagallant
01-31-2007, 08:16 PM
It was cool when it first opened but it's practically empty now. They have almost now stock and practically nothing different from when they opened. I guess it's a new way to think of shopping. If they don't have stock that means a couple of things - nobody's gone bankrupt and lost their stock and there hasn't been a major insurance claim. Guess that's good news.:biggrin:

callinq
02-01-2007, 05:52 PM
they should be liquidated....

Cartersmom
02-01-2007, 06:34 PM
I got a $90 Chef's knife for $6.:biggrin:

Is that the one that broke the stove?

vanessalynn5484
02-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Does anyone know if they have any good deals on baby or toddler things? I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

rubycshells
02-01-2007, 08:46 PM
Is that the one that broke the stove?

Yep:eek:

Jhazon
02-02-2007, 05:15 PM

I think they are referring to the store in Brewer. Many folks not from Maine, or not frequent traveler to lumberjack city, classify Brewer with Bangor.