PDA

View Full Version : Americans...

lizard_lover
08-23-2007, 02:14 PM
Now, I have nothing against them really....but they can be SO DARN RUDE!!! I work at Client Logic, so we have a Sobey's in our mall....I go there and get a sandwich everyday for lunch. Well I was going through the speedy checkout with my sandwich, and the cashier rung it in and was going for my chips, and one of the nastiest ladies I have ever seen walked up the wrong end of the aisle, and without saying excuse me or anything (as I was CLEARLY half done getting my stuff rung in) was all like "I would like some cigarettes, Benson and Hedges are what I want"! And her voice was all raspy, and she would not have been older than 40...So the woman behind the counter looked at me, and I gave a light nod indicating I did not mind her getting the pack of cigarettes for the lady. The lady then proceeded with "We only have one kind of Benson and Hedges cigarettes" and the woman said "Oh yeah, forgot you guys do not sell the good cigarettes up here like down in the (now get this) GOOD OL' US of A" ! She then proceeded to make the poor girl behind the counter read off EVERY SINGLE TYPE OF CIGARETTE WE SELL! And the difference between our lights, king size, etc...And once she finally picked a pack...walked off....no thank you, no "sorry for butting you in line" no nothing...I was appalled! Like again, I have nothing against them, but to come to OUR country, and bad mouth us like that...I walked over to her after paying for my things and said "excuse me, but where are you rmanners?" She looked at me like I was crazy and asked why it was my business. I said "Because MA'AM (way over emphasized the ma'am too:) )You so rudely came up the wrong end of the aisle, without so much as an excuse me, and by being rude, made me 5 minutes late for work" and then she said it was not her problem my "skinny little canadian *place butt in here to replace the bad word she used*" did not get rung through before she needed to get her cigarettes, and that she was going to leave now because I was being very rude, and making her visit to our nasty little country even worse than it already was...I know I probably went over board, but still...people have no manners...

mizunderstood
08-23-2007, 03:52 PM
unfortunatly its not just americans. I see it every day in this city. I believe it just has to go back to the parents. Some parents do not teach their children manners so they turn out to be evil rude, spoiled rotten kids which in turn makes them horrible adults. Just my opinion. :)

lizard_lover
08-23-2007, 04:28 PM
I totally agree, I just work at a call center and take american and canadian calls...and just in my opinion, the americans seem worse...

s4q19
08-23-2007, 05:04 PM
"Nasty little country"... lol... well, canada is BIGGER than the good ol US of A... so that just shows how much she's paid attention in her life. And if our country offends her so much, why is she up here? I welcome tourism, but not if they're going to treat our country like a cheap hooker.

On a related topic, I find it funny when americans make fun of our money, especially now that our dollar is getting stronger compared to theirs. Our money may be 'loonie', but it's almost worth as much as theirs :p

lizard_lover
08-23-2007, 05:23 PM
yeah really....not to mention, we have medicare :) lol not like that is really something to be proud of...if we have it, so should others...especially the countries that have nothing...no help, no nothing

MezMaRi
08-23-2007, 06:08 PM
We should be proud!!!! Has anyone seen SICKO???? Canada is wonderful compared to footage you see in that movie. Their Education system is terrible, they are passing kids in high school who have grade 4-5 reading levels. They have a target on their backs by almost every continent in this world. Crime is CRAZY mind you they have 390 million people to our 32 so that is a natural thing with more people, but my point is you couldnt pay me ALL The money in the world to live in the USA...ICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The_Dave
08-23-2007, 07:04 PM
"Nasty little country"... lol... well, canada is BIGGER than the good ol US of A... so that just shows how much she's paid attention in her life. And if our country offends her so much, why is she up here? I welcome tourism, but not if they're going to treat our country like a cheap hooker.

On a related topic, I find it funny when americans make fun of our money, especially now that our dollar is getting stronger compared to theirs. Our money may be 'loonie', but it's almost worth as much as theirs :p

They must know we are on to something, as they are now making American money in colour.

s4q19
08-23-2007, 07:13 PM
I was in the post office a few weeks back, and a lady who came off of one of the cruise ships walked in, and cut completely in front of the 5 people standing in line. The person in front of me said "Excuse me, we've been waiting in line" and the foreign lady said "Oh, that's nice". You could tell her english was somewhat limited, but certainly not that much. So the lady at the counter told her to go to the back of the line. Which she asked I just need a box. So the cashier pointed her to where they had the display of boxes and the ones you could buy. So the foreign lady takes one of the display boxes, and her husband even tells her that it's a display box, and she needs to take one of the un-assembled boxes. She says she doesn't care, but is then told by the cashier that she needs to take one of the un assembled boxes. She then proceeded to assemble the box on the counter, disrupting every person who had business to do. Just very very rude and inconsiderate. Maybe we Canadians are the only ones with lines?

We may have money that's called a Loonie, but atleast our leader can say his ABC's and form coherent sentances.

suesguy
08-23-2007, 07:26 PM
I also work in a "call Center" and find no real difference in the US customers or the Canadian. In fact most of the Americans I speak to like Canada. I find the southern states are really polite and friendly. I had a customer from Ontario today who thought he was calling the states and he was very rude...once I explained i was Canadian his whole mood changed...so it is a two way street, we treat them pretty badly too. I think rudeness and ignorance is just that, it has nothing to do with where you're from..

The_Dave
08-23-2007, 08:45 PM
I was in the post office a few weeks back, and a lady who came off of one of the cruise ships walked in, and cut completely in front of the 5 people standing in line. The person in front of me said "Excuse me, we've been waiting in line" and the foreign lady said "Oh, that's nice". You could tell her english was somewhat limited, but certainly not that much. So the lady at the counter told her to go to the back of the line. Which she asked I just need a box. So the cashier pointed her to where they had the display of boxes and the ones you could buy. So the foreign lady takes one of the display boxes, and her husband even tells her that it's a display box, and she needs to take one of the un-assembled boxes. She says she doesn't care, but is then told by the cashier that she needs to take one of the un assembled boxes. She then proceeded to assemble the box on the counter, disrupting every person who had business to do. Just very very rude and inconsiderate. Maybe we Canadians are the only ones with lines?

We may have money that's called a Loonie, but atleast our leader can say his ABC's and form coherent sentances.

Our leader is a Loonie also, matter of fact, all world leaders are.

s4q19
08-23-2007, 09:26 PM
oh I wasn't implying our's isn't loonie, but atleast he knows how to read a book properly, and not upside down.

FutureChief88
08-24-2007, 07:30 AM
I also work in a "call Center" and find no real difference in the US customers or the Canadian. In fact most of the Americans I speak to like Canada. I find the southern states are really polite and friendly. I had a customer from Ontario today who thought he was calling the states and he was very rude...once I explained i was Canadian his whole mood changed...so it is a two way street, we treat them pretty badly too. I think rudeness and ignorance is just that, it has nothing to do with where you're from..

I agree.. I work in a "call Center" As well and talk to americans all day. The only thing i find rude about americans is that they insult our heritage. As far as being polite or rude or whatnot.. I think that HUMANS in general are a rude breed. having good days as well as bad days.. But when i say i dont like Americans.. Its because they insult me because of where i am from.. and i find some of them dont even give you a chance if you are from canada. Again, not the whole american population, but thats where the generalization comes from i guess.

lizard_lover
08-24-2007, 12:29 PM
exactly...i have people ask me where I am from (call center job) and when I say Canada, I usually get "oh, that explains it" and when I ask what they mean, they say they could just tell by my demeanor...but on the same spectrum, a lot of our (microsoft) places are in bangalor, India...I get calls sometimes where the first thing they say is "thank god you speak english" and stuff like that, and other people refuse to let me transfer them to someone outside of the us or canada...we actually had one guy banned from microsoft because of it...

FutureChief88
08-24-2007, 12:58 PM
exactly...i have people ask me where I am from (call center job) and when I say Canada, I usually get "oh, that explains it" and when I ask what they mean, they say they could just tell by my demeanor...but on the same spectrum, a lot of our (microsoft) places are in bangalor, India...I get calls sometimes where the first thing they say is "thank god you speak english" and stuff like that, and other people refuse to let me transfer them to someone outside of the us or canada...we actually had one guy banned from microsoft because of it...

Thats what i get too. They ask O you guys freezing today. I am like no, actually its about 80 degrees farenheit here. It bothers me that they are so ingnorant. I dont know if you guys were in the same schhols ystem i was.. but most of the history i have learned is asbout the us. I also learned about canada, but i would think that they should learn a bit more outside the box. I have actually been asked how the igloo is.. Asking as a SERIOUS question. Now we are just as bad when it comes to stereotypes, because the majority of canadians dont like americans cause they are rude and whatnot, Same as some say about the french or whatever. But with my experience from americans, its the ignorance for other culture than their own, is what bothers me. But like i say, Humans in General are just rude!

lizard_lover
08-24-2007, 01:08 PM
oh yeah...manners nowadays too....everyone saying "i want" instead of "i would like to have"...ignorance is bliss I guess..

suesguy
08-24-2007, 04:29 PM
Like WE NEVER run down Americans..give me a break. This post is a good example. We stereotype them to the nth degree...the new york accent, the southeren, the west coast. I deal with them everyday and have few issues. Maybe it is because i deal with businesses..but we make fun of them too. Mention texas and we think cowboys...80% of the population in texas never wore a cowboy hat, cowboy boots or rode a horse. Same for LA...they all don't say "like" all the time and drink bottled water...jeez people are people.

The_Dave
08-24-2007, 04:33 PM
oh yeah...manners nowadays too....everyone saying "i want" instead of "i would like to have"...ignorance is bliss I guess..

Or " May I" that is the proper way to ask for something.

wookiee
08-24-2007, 06:27 PM
Like WE NEVER run down Americans..give me a break. This post is a good example. We stereotype them to the nth degree...the new york accent, the southeren, the west coast. I deal with them everyday and have few issues. Maybe it is because i deal with businesses..but we make fun of them too. Mention texas and we think cowboys...80% of the population in texas never wore a cowboy hat, cowboy boots or rode a horse. Same for LA...they all don't say "like" all the time and drink bottled water...jeez people are people.

Hey we may make fun of them and stuff, but most times its a joke... I don't think that rude american lady was joking eh? He was talking about being rude.
Big deal if we do...freedom of speech!
I agree anyways americans are rude, cause of there way of life and how there government is...they brain wash there own people.
I'm sure you stereotype? right? We all do....jeex get over it.:D

PS. a majority of the population in the world thinks americans are rude....

FutureChief88
08-29-2007, 01:13 PM

Just as i said in my previous post.. We stereotype as well.. We are not all innocent.. and yes we are human. I am sure we have all done it. Now this may be a far out statement.. But i believe that we as canadians have much more cultural background on other countries than anyone else in the world.. As we are taught most of american history. It seems that unless the people from the states have visited up here, they have no idea and actually believe that its ALWAYS snowing here and below 0 temperatures.. and how could we possibly live here.. And we say a boot and eh all the time, etc etc... That that i part of our everyday conversation. Again some would be worse than others.. but i dont look at a southerner as a stupid moron. I believe these people are some of the most respectful people i have ever talked to. The point i was trying to make is that Americans are brought up on their own culture and know nothing of anyone else in the world. The majority anyway, and its that ignorance that makes them so rude. Because they dont know any better.

mike_d
08-31-2007, 09:54 AM
I work in a call center environment as well, not all americans I talk to are rude, in fact most I talk to are nice but want things done quick, maybe some of the rudeness over the phone is due to the company they are dealing with, waiting on hold, etc. If I do have any rude American customers, most of them are from NY, or they are just mad cause they have ongoing issues.

suesguy
08-31-2007, 03:32 PM
Hey we may make fun of them and stuff, but most times its a joke... I don't think that rude american lady was joking eh? He was talking about being rude.
Big deal if we do...freedom of speech!
I agree anyways americans are rude, cause of there way of life and how there government is...they brain wash there own people.
I'm sure you stereotype? right? We all do....jeex get over it.:D

PS. a majority of the population in the world thinks americans are rude....

Doesn't sound like joking on here...sounds like American bashing...same thing you accuse them of doing...hmmm. Someone meets 1 rude American and starts bashing them all. I have met hundreds who where not rude at, in fact quite polite.

FutureChief88
09-01-2007, 08:59 AM
And as we have ALL been saying. Its not all them and its unfair to generalize a WHOLE country because of a few bad seeds.. And again.. Not just americans.. PEOPLE in general. The problem i have with "americans" is their ignorance for our culture. And they are PURPOUSLY rude to us because we are CANADIAN. I feel sometimes like Tit for tat. Some.. NOT ALL, think they we are just stupid and have no idea what is going on with anything. I JUST got off the phone with a customer that started PERSONALLY attacking me and this country.. cause he asked where i was and i told him canada. I dont have anything against the general population of americans.. I just find that ALOT of them are ignorant of our lifestyle.

Oolong
09-27-2007, 06:51 PM

ClientLogic you say? Microsoft, eh? Hmmm...

TrueLine
09-27-2007, 10:04 PM
ClientLogic you say? Microsoft, eh? Hmmm...

One pathetic company working for another pathetic company.

Oolong
09-28-2007, 12:37 PM
One pathetic company working for another pathetic company.

You sound like you work there. :D

Joanne
09-30-2007, 10:52 AM
yea I also work in a call center, mostly americans, most of them really nice in the south, but you can always tell right away when you are talking to someone from NY or NJ, most of them are in a hurry and want it all their way or nothing is good enough for them.

Rekcus
10-01-2007, 03:50 PM
I work with Canadians and Americans for the most part, unless I ask, I cannot tell the difference between them. There are bad apples from the States and from Canada and other countries that you will run into.
Not to say I haven't had some issues with Americans. There are Americans that couldn't locate Canada on a map, if I tell someone I'm from NB, they have no idea that its even a province or where it is. I'm sure about 95% I've the people I tell I'm from NB, don't even know where it is or probably never heard of it. If someone tells me they're from a certain State, I will know where it is. I don't think Americans are educated in geography or history of other countries like we are here. For the most part, they seem to say in their little American bubble and are ignorant about other countries.
Another issue I've come across with Americans is some of them seem to look down on Canadians and believe they are superior.

Mandi
10-01-2007, 04:38 PM
I have had some dealings with Americans who were exceptionally rude, but also Canadians.
The ones who really peeve me though are the ones who talk to me in a civil conversation, then find out I'm Canadian and proceed to treat me like I'm a moron. I'm clearly capable of carrying on an intellectual conversation like the best of 'em.
The most amusing for me was working at an icecream shop uptown. We were always single staffed, and when the cruise ships came in BUSY. This one lady gave me American money ($20) to pay for her icecream, I gave her back the Canadian money at the exchange rate and she was furious. She demanded I give her real money, and that my fake money was no good to her. I chuckled and said 'It's Canadian money, I assure you it's real' and she made the biggest deal out of it. She held me and about 25 other people up, and finally I said 'You're in Ca-na-da you're going to get Canadian money, that's how it works. Your next stop is Halifax, so I'm sure you can find something to spend it on there.' She continued to yell at me, all the while eating her icecream, and I went on to serve other customers. I find it amusing how much people who are rude can embarrass themselves and choose to giggle about it then get upset most cases.
I just hate that some assume we're all a bunch of back water hick loony cases.

The Mysterious Lady
10-04-2007, 10:50 AM
I'm American (live just across the border in Maine) and I'd have to say that I think people in general are just getting ruder and more self-centered these days, but at the same time I do believe Americans are the worst at it.

I see this just going across the border - the border agents are your first welcome into a country. The Canadian agents are very matter-of-fact and polite. I honestly dread coming back over, the US agents usually behave sourly and indignant.

FutureChief88
10-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Very well said! and as i have said before.. Its not fair to generalize a whole country because of a few bad apples..

But i completely agree with people in general.. as a Human race.. are completely Ignorat! I just cant image what goes through some peoples heads when they act the way they do.

I'm American (live just across the border in Maine) and I'd have to say that I think people in general are just getting ruder and more self-centered these days, but at the same time I do believe Americans are the worst at it.

I see this just going across the border - the border agents are your first welcome into a country. The Canadian agents are very matter-of-fact and polite. I honestly dread coming back over, the US agents usually behave sourly and indignant.