PDA

View Full Version : natural selection?

sarahnb
08-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Car and skateboarder collide in Saint John
Last Updated: Monday, August 20, 2007 | 10:37 AM AT
CBC News
A 23-year-old skateboarder was sent to hospital with minor injuries Sunday afternoon after colliding with a vehicle in Saint John.

Police say the man was skateboarding in the middle of a lane on a city street.

His actions tied up traffic on the two-lane road and so a driver tried to pass him on the right, police said.

Police suspect the vehicle's attempt to pass startled the skateboarder, who wound up crashing into the car.

ksbeckaa
08-21-2007, 11:39 AM
yep, natural selection at its best, or a candiadte for a Darwin award.

lizard_lover
08-21-2007, 12:55 PM
Lol not natural selection...just some punk thinking it is ok to ride on the road (just being blunt) lol at least he has minor injuries...By the way charles darwin rocks..I am reading "the origin of species" by him right now, I recommend it!

stripekv
08-21-2007, 12:55 PM
And to add the icing on top of the cake ... the skateboarder is being CHARGED!!!!

Misty589
08-21-2007, 01:46 PM
And to add the icing on top of the cake ... the skateboarder is being CHARGED!!!!

awesome

mommyd
08-21-2007, 03:19 PM
Lol not natural selection...just some punk thinking it is ok to ride on the road (just being blunt) lol at least he has minor injuries...By the way charles darwin rocks..I am reading "the origin of species" by him right now, I recommend it!

uh yeah.. natural selection.. this person was naturally selected to become an idiot where he thought he could ride a skateboard on the rd.

The_Dave
08-21-2007, 05:58 PM
This idiot just painted all the skateboarders with the same brush. They should be banned from the uptown area from skateboarding anyway.

lizard_lover
08-21-2007, 06:22 PM
i am not a big "I am so against the skateboarders gargh!" person lol but they do need to watch where they are going and not assume they have rule of the roost

s4q19
08-21-2007, 07:55 PM
I'm not against skateboarders at all either, but there's a time and a place... and well the "place" issue could be heavily debated, I think it's safe to say that THE place is not in the middle of a busy street. Play with matches, you're going to get burned. Play in the middle of the street, you're going to get hit.

MrsBeasley
08-22-2007, 12:13 AM
I am not against skateboarders, however I do believe they should be treated like any other type of vehicle on the road (i.e. cylists) you do not have priority on the sidewalks (afterall they are a vehicle of some sort) and should have to follow the same rules of the road as all other drivers.

AdamTheKnight
08-22-2007, 08:14 AM
I hate how car obsessed we are in this city / province / country.

People hate yielding to pedestrians (I've been almost hit in four crosswalks this month alone), blast their horns at bikes and make fun of kids who skateboard.

Maybe if the guy who was driving behind the kid didn’t think because he decided to drive that he was master of the road and could do as he pleased this wouldn’t have happened. Even if the kid was in the wrong, the driver should have been careful - not just defaulted to getting on his happy gas-guzzling way at the expense of the kid's safety.

The kid shouldn’t be charged – especially if there is not lane dedicated to non-care travel on his route.

Chinna Dah
08-22-2007, 08:24 AM

People hate yielding to pedestrians (I've been almost hit in four crosswalks this month alone), blast their horns at bikes and make fun of kids who skateboard.

Maybe if the guy who was driving behind the kid didn’t think because he decided to drive that he was master of the road and could do as he pleased this wouldn’t have happened. Even if the kid was in the wrong, the driver should have been careful - not just defaulted to getting on his happy gas-guzzling way at the expense of the kid's safety.

The kid shouldn’t be charged – especially if there is not lane dedicated to non-care travel on his route.

Let me guess, you have never driven a car in your life,and you probably skateboard most places you go.

As for the cross walk situation, Just because you are at a cross walk, doesnt give you the right to just step out into traffic. it is always best to make eye contact with the drivers on both side of the street, you are stepping out in front of to be sure they know you are there.

You have to take responsability too, make sure the car has come to a stop before you step out. if you follow this ONE simple rule, there is absolutely no way you could have or will be "almost " hit again.

jdcb
08-22-2007, 08:32 AM
wouldn't win a darwin award...

And while i don't think they should be banned from the uptown, I think council needs to get off their collective butts and build this skate park they've been talking about since I moved to the city.

jdcb
08-22-2007, 08:35 AM
As for the cross walk situation, Just because you are at a cross walk, doesnt give you the right to just step out into traffic.

Blindly stepping out is stupid, but do you realize it's against the law not to yeild to a pedestrian at a crosswalk. That and at the end of driveways. People are not walking across a designated driving areas, drivers are driving across a designated pedestrian walking area.

The_Dave
08-22-2007, 09:32 AM
A total uptown ban is needed. We have parks and empty parking lots around the city for the skateboarders. They do not need to be shooting down King Street and other streets terrorizing the seniors and tourists and who ever else might be uptown, shopping or going to work or just enjoying uptown the way normal people do.

Also look at the damage they cause to buildings, walkways, railings and benches, etc, etc.

This kid is lucky to be alive and imagine how the driver of the car felt, thinking he hurt a kid. I am glad he was charged. May teach the rest of them a lesson.

ksbeckaa
08-22-2007, 10:12 AM
To win a darwin award, you actually have to reduce the number of your species by one.

ceg
08-22-2007, 10:42 AM

The kid shouldn’t be charged – especially if there is not lane dedicated to non-care travel on his route. Other than sidewalks and the harbour passage I don't think there are lanes dedicated to non-car traffic is Saint John.

Also the person was in the MIDDLE of the street and blocking traffic. I would understand if he was to the side like he was supposed to be, then it would just be an accident but he was taking a chance by doing something stupid. Not to mention, he swerved into the car, not the car swerved to hit him.

The guy should be charged because he was acting irresponsibly. He should have been obeying the rules of the road. By staying behind the skater he was probably more of risk than by passing him. Imagine if the skater fell and the car couldn't stop, or the driver got rear ended cause he was driving so slow behind the skater.

jiggypat23
08-22-2007, 04:47 PM
If he was hit in the city (Uptown) I didnt think there were any passing lanes uptown, therefor, why was the car passing him in the first place?

MezMaRi
08-22-2007, 05:18 PM
For all of you wondering when the skate board part is gonna be started/completed check out this GREAT Website. It shows all that is going to be built and pictures of what the city is going to look like over the next few years. SOOO much interesting information. I just hope they fufill all that is said on this website. It would do wonders for this city!!!!!!!!!

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=120401

girdy
08-22-2007, 05:18 PM
Seems to me, an idiot driving a car hit an idiot riding a skateboard. Middle of the road is a stupid place to be riding your skateboard. Passing someone who obviously wasn't quite right in the head in a manner that was unsafe wasn't right either. Darwinism is going to claim them both at some point.

23 years old and riding a skateboard in the middle of the road - time for someone to grow up.

lizard_lover
08-22-2007, 05:55 PM
I agree....both were in fault...and they both were being idiots, but I think the rider should not have been the only one charged.

richunclepennywise
08-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Just so I'm clear. If a motorist goes around a double parked car waiting to get his pizzahut pizza on king st, and as he's going around the double parker decides to cut up canterbury, it's the passers fault when they crash, right?

The_Dave
08-22-2007, 08:54 PM
Right, no passing on a solid yellow.

T-Diddy
08-22-2007, 09:01 PM
What's a 23 year old doing riding a skateboard anyways? If it were my son that was riding the yellow line, the injuries that he substained from the car would be nothing compared to the ones he would get from me when he got home!

baseball 23
08-22-2007, 09:58 PM
richunclepennywise -
What thedave said was incorrect. You are allowed to pass a car that is stopped, regardless if you have to go over centre, no different than making a left hand turn, you also must go over centre.
If a car is parked, double parked or not, they must make sure it is safe before starting and proceeding into traffic. that includes behind them and in the lane beside them.
In your case, the overtaking vehicle would be over centre first and would occupy the left lane first before the double parker moves over centre to make his left turn.
the double parker would be at-fault, 100%

jdcb
08-22-2007, 10:07 PM
To win a darwin award, you actually have to reduce the number of your species by one.

actually, thats not true. You need to remove yourself from the gene pool. Whether that is by death, or making sure your ability to have kids works...

jdcb
08-22-2007, 10:08 PM
This kid is lucky to be alive and imagine how the driver of the car felt, thinking he hurt a kid.

yeah, cuz trying to pass on the right he was really being the responsible one and showing the kid how to follow the law.

The_Dave
08-22-2007, 10:21 PM
baseball 23, if there is no one in the car maybe, but no you are not allowed to pass on a solid yellow. You need to wait until the other car moves, unless it is an emergency vehicle and they wave you by.

The_Dave
08-22-2007, 10:22 PM
yeah, cuz trying to pass on the right he was really being the responsible one and showing the kid how to follow the law.

2 wrongs don't make a right, the kid is very lucky for his complete irresponsibility.

baseball 23
08-23-2007, 07:37 AM
The dave:
i knew you were going to make me look it up, well here it is. motor vehicle act.
147(1)No driver shall drive a vehicle with any part of such vehicle being to the left of the centre line of the roadway except
(a)when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction,
(b)when the roadway to the right of the centre line is obstructed by a parked vehicle or other object,
(c)when the roadway to the right of the centre line is closed to traffic,
(d)when permitted to do so on a roadway divided into three marked lanes under section 156, or
(e)upon a one-way roadway.

I think this situation with a parked or double parked vehicle would be under paragraph (b), you're allowed to pass.

The_Dave
08-23-2007, 09:30 AM
The dave:
i knew you were going to make me look it up, well here it is. motor vehicle act.
147(1)No driver shall drive a vehicle with any part of such vehicle being to the left of the centre line of the roadway except
(a)when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction,
(b)when the roadway to the right of the centre line is obstructed by a parked vehicle or other object,
(c)when the roadway to the right of the centre line is closed to traffic,
(d)when permitted to do so on a roadway divided into three marked lanes under section 156, or
(e)upon a one-way roadway.

I think this situation with a parked or double parked vehicle would be under paragraph (b), you're allowed to pass.

Good stuff, but was the car parked with no one in it? or was it waiting for someone to get in or out?

suesguy
08-23-2007, 07:52 PM
Long before cars....(hard concept to grasp, grant you that)...wait for it...mankind walked..all the way from Africa...so I think that gives pedestrians the right of way in any contested situation. Driving is a privilage...walking is a right. When I'm waiting for the light to say walk, i expect to be able to make it safely to the other side without dodging traffic. Way too often some idiot will try a right turn just as i get 3 steps from the curb and then get annoyed because he has to stop. Also, whoever does the timing for those lights needs a swift kick in the butt...you wait 3 minutes for it to change to walk and halfway across the friggin road it changes...someones got a twisted sense of humour. So for all those drivers who think they own the roads remember...you walked before you drove..it is a privilege...let us who tread this earth do so safely..thank you. As for the man on the skate board...that is just plain stupid.

The_Dave
08-23-2007, 08:43 PM
Long before cars....(hard concept to grasp, grant you that)...wait for it...mankind walked..all the way from Africa...so I think that gives pedestrians the right of way in any contested situation. Driving is a privilage...walking is a right. When I'm waiting for the light to say walk, i expect to be able to make it safely to the other side without dodging traffic. Way too often some idiot will try a right turn just as i get 3 steps from the curb and then get annoyed because he has to stop. Also, whoever does the timing for those lights needs a swift kick in the butt...you wait 3 minutes for it to change to walk and halfway across the friggin road it changes...someones got a twisted sense of humour. So for all those drivers who think they own the roads remember...you walked before you drove..it is a privilege...let us who tread this earth do so safely..thank you. As for the man on the skate board...that is just plain stupid.

Good post.

jdcb
08-23-2007, 09:13 PM
2 wrongs don't make a right, the kid is very lucky for his complete irresponsibility.

agreed on both counts, but the driver should get something too...

I think there is something going around though, I don't know how many times in the past 4 days someone has come within inches of side swiping me, or stepping out in front of me...

Rickster
08-23-2007, 10:29 PM
FYI for ALL; I saw this happen as it was on the South Bay road just past Ridgewood. It was his 'second' trip down this very dangerous hill and even the first trip he was making cars past him with no care or concern for his safety. No safety equipment and when I was watching him he wasn't even looking behind(what an IDIOT). He's VERY lucky as it is kind of a blind hill there right by the Castle(what we call it out here).Also he does own a car himself should this too should have made him more aware of his STUPIDITY.If it wasn't for that particular car seeing him at the top of the hill he probably would have been Killed if he was below the line of vision of the hill as the speed limit is 60km here and many cars usually travel faster.He is VERY lucky that being as dumb as he was to still be here. - Rick.

Rickster
08-23-2007, 10:34 PM
P.S. If I were the Police I would write him every ticket I could to teach this Idiot a good lesson as he was not only endangering himself but also quite a few cars as they were swerving into the other lane to go around him the first time he came down this hill !! Hope his 'pain' gives him second thoughts about doing this act again. - Rick.

richunclepennywise
08-24-2007, 07:14 PM
Right, no passing on a solid yellow.

So...if someone's double parked...all traffic must stop indefinatley until the double parker comes back to his/her car and decides to leave?

mommyd
08-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Also, whoever does the timing for those lights needs a swift kick in the butt...you wait 3 minutes for it to change to walk and halfway across the friggin road it changes...someones got a twisted sense of humour.

i Totally agree! There are a couple of crosswalks up where i live.. when i walk home from rockwood park i Have to cross both of them. I was pushing my son in his stroller.. and i wait for the hand to change to the walk sign.. i don't get halfway to the other side that it changes, and i'm not a slow walker, i even move quickly throw crosswalks.. THEN i wait a while again and this next one.. there is a median in the middle .. and i didn't even get across the first part and cars start turning and coming straight at me.. at first i was like.. what the bleep is this person doing, i was actually scared.. but then i looked at the lights and it had changed back to the hand after like 5 seconds, if even that long!! and i STILL had to cross the other part. I mean not only is it dangerous, but i feel like a complete idiot because these ppl driving think that i am in the wrong and being stupid by crossing like that.. but i have no other choice.. it's either that or i don't go out for a walk there.

Chinna Dah
08-24-2007, 10:12 PM
So...if someone's double parked...all traffic must stop indefinatley until the double parker comes back to his/her car and decides to leave?

Now that was a very good responce. From what people on here are say yes, all cars would have to stop indefinately untill the double parker leaves.

Can you imagine, give your heads a shake people. Are you just going to sit in your car while a truck pulls up on Union st to make a delivery, and blocks the lane for 15 or 20 mins? No you are going to put your left blinker on, look over your left shoulder and your rear mirror, and you are going to PROPERLY pull out around the parked truck.

avaadore
09-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Now that was a very good responce. From what people on here are say yes, all cars would have to stop indefinately untill the double parker leaves.

Can you imagine, give your heads a shake people. Are you just going to sit in your car while a truck pulls up on Union st to make a delivery, and blocks the lane for 15 or 20 mins? No you are going to put your left blinker on, look over your left shoulder and your rear mirror, and you are going to PROPERLY pull out around the parked truck.

indeed.
though that 'properly' part is positive thinking..

someone pulled out of a street uptown the other day without looking, and almost ran over my bf, our dog, and I.
he's six foot forever
how do you not notice that?

uptown driving is horrible

the busses scare me..alot. They are very skilled drivers, and I realise this, but they do, and are forced to cut it -so- close uptown.

avaadore
09-01-2007, 03:57 PM
( the kicker was that after realising they'd almost hit us they gave US a dirty look and continued yacking away making another road change..this was a busy area near germaine..seriously people..dangerous)

trinity
09-01-2007, 06:13 PM
http://sense.bc.ca/research.htm

Passing on the right or not, if you want to consider a skateboard a 'vehicle' because it has wheels, then would it not be a traffic hazard due to slow speed? Cyclists can go a lot faster (if they are good) than skateboarders and they still know to keep to the curb/shoulder area. I have heard of people being given tickets for going too slowly and impeding normal flow of traffic. In any event, the person is blocking traffic the same as if they had been running down the middle of the road. Anyone, whether in a car, on a bike, motorcycle, wheelchair, skateboard or roller blades has a responsibility to keep traffic flowing at a reasonable pace, which this guy obviously wasn't. If a car broke down in the road and the only way you could get around them safely was to pass on the shoulder, you would.

Flaxie
09-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Let me guess, you have never driven a car in your life,and you probably skateboard most places you go.

As for the cross walk situation, Just because you are at a cross walk, doesnt give you the right to just step out into traffic. it is always best to make eye contact with the drivers on both side of the street, you are stepping out in front of to be sure they know you are there.

You have to take responsability too, make sure the car has come to a stop before you step out. if you follow this ONE simple rule, there is absolutely no way you could have or will be "almost " hit again.

Hmmm I'm guessing you don't walk much in this city??
I always wait for traffic to stop. The problem is when you have to cross 4 lanes of traffic and 2 lanes stop at a crosswalk the other lanes don't. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've had someone stop to let me cross in a crosswalk and someone else has come driving along not paying attention to what is going on infront of them and almost hit me or my children. Once a driver who had stopped for us got out of his car to yell at the driver who bumped my stroller while talking to the passanger in his car instead of paying attention to the road.
Even when the light is red and the "little man says walk" drivers not paying attention will make that right hand turn and cut off the pedestrian who is already 2/3rds of the way across the street.

This is why I do not drive. Some drivers today do not realize the huge responsibility that comes with driving. Pay attention! If a good samaritan stops to let me cross do not cut me off half way through the crosswalk.