PDA

View Full Version : EWWWWW....how do it get rid of it?!?!?!

tryshc
01-05-2007, 09:45 AM
hi everyone...i just needed some advice here..I live in a basement apartment and am a SERIOUS neat freak...i was moving my girls furniture today to vaccuum and make sure there were not dust bunnies livin rent free when OMG..there is MOLD growing up my wall!!!...I have never had a problem like this before and thought I should check out the other rooms and low and behold..there is mold around just about every window. I am afraid that my landlord is going to blame me, because he has said that since I haven't had to turn on my heat yet, my apartment would be damp. But I have a dehumidifier as well..what do I do?..can anyone help me?

Foxhound
01-05-2007, 10:03 AM
If there is mold growth in your home, you must clean up the mold and fix the water problem. If you clean up the mold, but don't fix the water problem, then, most likely, the mold problem will come back.

My aunt also had a mold problem and put in a dehumidifier in and it took care of it. Maybe a better bigger dehumidifier maybe a solution to your problem.
I googled "how to get rid of molds" and there are a few sites that offer various answers to your problem.

shadoww
01-05-2007, 10:10 AM
The CMHC site has lot of info on it for how to get rid of mold. Try this link.

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/maho/yohoyohe/momo/index.cfm

hiph0p
01-05-2007, 10:12 AM
wash it off with javex its pretty much the only thing that will kill it , but it most likely will come back , and you should tell your landlord i had mold in an appartment about 3-4 years ago and i moved because its very bad for kids

tryshc
01-05-2007, 10:28 AM
oh i know it's bad for kids...my babysitter once had mold and my daughter has weak lungs...I told my landlord..and he told me that it's my fault..since i didn't use my heat yet this winter..it grew mold...how does that happen?...it's warm as heck in here....i don't wanna roast turkeys for pete sake...lol...it's just one of the many things wrong with this place that they haven't taken care of....well on the bright side..i need a bigger place anyways..trying to look on the birght side of things.

shadoww
01-05-2007, 10:39 AM
I was told TSP is better than Bleach when we had a flood, i cant remember why something to do with bacteria, and it will come back after you use bleac, I think it is explained at the site I gave you actually.

daneast
01-05-2007, 10:53 AM
http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/maho/yohoyohe/momo/momo_005.cfm
CMHC website(above)
Contact your landlord, unless you have benn causing excessive moisture(drying clothes etc..) the mold is his responsbility. Can be a very dangerous situation, and difficult to remedy if water is seeping or sunk into drywall...

hiph0p
01-05-2007, 10:53 AM
call the rentel's men if there is a lot wrong with you place and he isn't fixing it them i wouldn't pay him rent until it is all done and if your place is warm already i can't see that being on you he's just making excuses...did you live there last winter?

user5624
01-05-2007, 12:23 PM
I really can not see at all how not having your heat on would cause this. What happens in the summer when the humidity is high?? As you said, you know how danerous mold is. Contact the rentalsman, tell him the situation and that the landlord is blaming you. If it's around windows, perhaps those windows need to be replaced. Are they drafty? They're probably letting water in.

tryshc
01-05-2007, 12:31 PM
We don't have a washer dryer hook up in our apartments, we have a laundry room so there is no dryer here that would be causing the moisture. It is around the windows, but it is also showing up behind my daughter's bed. We have pulled out the bed and scrubbed and scrubbed. It's now a slight discoloration. It's also all around the ledge in the apartment. I just feel so dirty..it's gross..and there isn't a lot wrong with the apartment..just little things..the knobs will NOT stay on my drawers, and the shower cutain is always falling down...

Maybe the landlord thinks that since we have electric heat, it might "dry out" the apartment. Which to me is totally off the wall. WE have a dehumidifyer, but can't have seriously dry air because my daughter gets sersious nose bleeds if it's too dry..so it's a catch 22..weak lungs, weak nose membranes:(

I have a call into the rentalsman, but apparently we have to put it in writing and give him 7 days to fix the problem...maybe that will stop him from renovating the upstairs apartment at 8 am when i get off work at 6...and yeah they know this..lol...

tkenney
01-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Use Javax to clean it, I just went throw that situation it was caused from a hole in my roof the water sat on my ceiling until one night at 4 in the morning it came crashing down. It got really damp in here and I have a dehumidifier and I still got mold. It got so bad we had to regut to bedrooms in my house. We had a heath inspector come to our house to see how bad it was and where told if the problem wasn't fix right away it would kill us. But we got it all fixed and where told that after you spray and wash the area with hot water and javax the mold won't come back if you catch it in time.

painlessjoe
03-19-2007, 09:24 PM
There could be one of two problems in that room:

1. Water leaks in the wall(in apartments, it is frequent);
2. Bad ventilation in the room(use a fan).

Good Luck

Joe