PDA

View Full Version : Question for the ladies

blepton
08-17-2007, 02:35 PM
Wondering if any ladies on isaintjohn are taking, or have taken depo privera, the birth control needle?

Thanks

domarloc
08-17-2007, 02:56 PM
I am currently on it and have been for about 4 years. I absolutely love it! Some of the list list of side effects are crazy but I personally have not had any problems. The added bonus is no more of those dreaded monthly visits from mother nature!!:biggrin:

Clancy
08-17-2007, 03:39 PM
Don't do it!! I was on it 5 years ago, and gained 75lbs before my doctor took me off it. Plus there are no long term studies. However it has been proven to effect bone density. My new doctor has an article posted in his office about how it affects our bones. There was a write up in some doctor’s journal about it. There is a new one out that you only get your period 4 times a year, but I just seen the commercial. Ask your doctor.

"Depo-Provera, an injectable contraceptive, will come with a special warning that links prolonged use of the drug with bone density (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6515456/) loss, the government said Wednesday" taken from MSNBC do a google search

As women we already have to worry about this as we get older, do you want this to jeopardize you more?

domarloc
08-17-2007, 03:57 PM
A simple bone density test and a calcium supplement with take care of any concerns regarding your bones. I had no major problems with weight.

mizunderstood
08-17-2007, 04:43 PM
I was on it for 7 years and would never every go back on it again.
Also it is not as effective as they claim it to be. If u are over weight or if u smoke it is a lot less effective. I got pregnant with both my kids while taking the needle. It is not recommended to be used for longer than 2 years.

nbnewfie
08-17-2007, 05:31 PM
aHH.. You guys are scaring me.. I am currently on it, have been for a month now, and have been liking it, no side effects, but I don't like the sound of the not effective part.. I did hear about the bone density issues and the Dr advised me that I shouldn't take it for a long time.

LiLLY
08-17-2007, 05:49 PM
I have been on it for 2 years now and have had no problems at all. Gained a little bit of weight at first, just had to watch what I ate and I lost it all. You just need to make sure you are getting enough calcium.

JNE1994
08-17-2007, 10:07 PM
I was on the needle for 2 yrs. loved it, i didn't have my periods anymore, no more cramps. Then my doctor sent me for a bone density test (and the whole time i was on it i was taking calcium supplements) anyways my test came back showing a weak spot in my spine. That same day that i took the test I took a cab home and we almost got in an accident, he slammed on the brakes and from the impact of him doing that, my back bothers me really bad to this day. My back hurts after i do the dishes, sweep, mop, doing the laundry even bothers me. some days it hurts so bad that when my daughter wants me to pick her up I can't or can for only 2 minutes. And it is an actual studied fact now (they started to find out about a year and a half ago) that if u have been on the needle for 2 years or longer it can cause bone density loss. Even if u r getting enough calcium, there is still a chance of lossing some of ur bone density, it just may not happen that quickly. Not to mention i have been off of it for a year and a half now and just started having my monthly again right b4 christmas 2006 and they still aren't regular yet. If I had the chance to do it all over again I wouldn't. Just my 2 cents, hope that helps, good luck.

FutureChief88
09-01-2007, 02:50 PM
I think the main use for this now is for people who are breastfeeding.. because they only BC that does NOT excrete in breast milk is that and an IUD. I have talked to SOOO many women on the needle or who have been and they have nothing but bad things to say. I was on it as well.. and sure.. it is conveinent.. and no periods (which in my opinion is not healthy), but it can cause major issues with your health. I would not reccommend. I have major problems with my back and knees ever since being on it.

avaadore
09-01-2007, 05:46 PM
The now have a new IUD that secrete progesterone. Kinda neat spin on the old copper T.
(just a side note)