PDA

View Full Version : Fair Rent?

JustWatching
08-15-2007, 07:36 AM
With all this chat of landlords/tenants/kids/price - I started wondering what really is a fair price for rent.

Not outside of the city - but in the uptown and surrounding areas what would you all say is a fair price per month (heat/lights included - just to make it easy)

2br?
3br?
4br?

Not houses but apartments - in good to excellent shape - what would you say is fair?

leeleemom
08-15-2007, 08:06 PM
With all this chat of landlords/tenants/kids/price - I started wondering what really is a fair price for rent.

Not outside of the city - but in the uptown and surrounding areas what would you all say is a fair price per month (heat/lights included - just to make it easy)

2br?
3br?
4br?

Not houses but apartments - in good to excellent shape - what would you say is fair?

That is really hard to answer as all apartments vary in size, etc. I will say that the rents are much higher than they were a few years ago and I have been out there looking. All I can say is that 2 and 3 bedrooms run around the same price. It doesn't matter if they are brand new or a dump. Most don't include heat and lights anymore as well.5 years ago I had a really nice good size 3 bedroom flat with a driveway and a huge backyard. I only paid 525.00 heat and lights included!! I wish I could find that now!!!

Chinna Dah
08-15-2007, 10:23 PM
we rented a 2 bedroom 500 sq feet lower west it had new doors windows, siding paved driveway for almost eight years, the rent started at 375.00 unheated, and when we left we were paying 410.00 unheated with heat and lights it was roughly 600.00.

We own a place now and we rent out a 3 bedroom flat living room, dining room 1440 sq feet for 600.00 unheated we have painted all through and redid hardwood floors on Douglas ave

trinity
08-15-2007, 11:10 PM
I pay 550 unheated for a 2 bedroom, I would not pay much more for what I have, although it is very nice, but in the winter it is always cold and we had one power bill that was over $300. It averages to around $140/mth, I expect the increase will take it to at least $150 and that is with me suffering cold for 5 months because I won't turn up the heat since it costs so much, and because the windows are so drafty. My bedroom is also extremely tiny, I have a single bed (and it is a Single, not a twin), two large dressers and a couple of smaller things-jewelry box, chair, laundry hamper (won't fit in the tiny closet) etc and my room is STUFFED. The apartment upstairs is the same size as mine but laid out differently so it is only a 1 bedroom-they were using the double parlour as the toddler's room, and he wants 600 unheated. It is a lovely apartment though, very fancy and would appeal to an executive type.

mizunderstood
08-16-2007, 07:27 PM
I have had different places different prices
the first place I had in saint john when i moved back 3 years ago was a large 3 bedroom with a storage area off the kitchen I only paid 375 a month plus my heat and lights. The heat and lights ran me 400+ a month since all the windows were drafty and rotted, and the storage shed area door did not close and the window for the close line didnt close either. and it was on the 3rd floor of an old building on adelaide street and when the wind blew the house would sway.. needless to say we moved that spring. lol. THe next place we rented was a 4 bedroom apartment on reading cres we paid 620 a month heat included paid our own lights (about 40 a month)
The place we are in now is a 3 bedroom apartment in housing and we pay 400 a month heat and lights included. It is really cold in the winter and hot in the summer and the toilet backs up constantly and the water pipes have broke 3 times this year, and my neighbour used to smoke weed and blow it down the dryer vent into my daughters bedroom (thank god she got kicked out hehehehe) but other than that I can't complain, it is all we can afford right now and it serves the purpose. My mother was renting a 2 bedroom apartment out east for a while and she was paying 800 a month heat and lights included.

StephRan
08-17-2007, 05:25 PM
I rent out half of my duplex on Princess Street uptown; 3 bedrooms,computer room, large living room, dining room,back storage room, mostly hardwood floors, heated with new fridge, stove, washer and dryer for $660.00. Other comparable apts on the street though, are starting at $800.00+

lizard_lover
08-17-2007, 05:39 PM
I rent a 1 bdrm right now, 300$ a month, and pay my own heat and lights and such...would be awesome, except my landlord never fixed the tap in my bathroom, so it leaks hot water...and not drips, like a steady stream..needless to say my bill today was 53$, and I have not been there for 3 weeks!

MezMaRi
08-17-2007, 06:06 PM
I am currently renting a 3/4 bedroom (can be used as either) its HUGE somewhere near 1600 sq ft and I pay 650 heated. Dont get me wrong its HUGE but my crum landlord let the oil heat go out 3 times in the winter. It took him 2 months to than fix that MOUSE infestation. I still have not gotten screens on my windows so that my 3 year old doesnt FALL OUT the window. The list goes on. My landlord is ALSO a highly sought after real estate agent and if you PM me I will tell you his name so that you NEVER rent from him. One day he actually swore and yelled at us for asking him to fix the driveway???

Anyways I am now moving into a 2/3 bedroom that is 745$ unheated...uptown on prince william , its MUCH more modern, beautiful windows, ceilings, lighting,dishwasher, etc an executive apartment for sure. Gonna be more money but at this point I am sick of living in a slum house and would rather pay more!!!!!!!!!!

leeleemom
08-17-2007, 06:44 PM
I am currently renting a 3/4 bedroom (can be used as either) its HUGE somewhere near 1600 sq ft and I pay 650 heated. Dont get me wrong its HUGE but my crum landlord let the oil heat go out 3 times in the winter. It took him 2 months to than fix that MOUSE infestation. I still have not gotten screens on my windows so that my 3 year old doesnt FALL OUT the window. The list goes on. My landlord is ALSO a highly sought after real estate agent and if you PM me I will tell you his name so that you NEVER rent from him. One day he actually swore and yelled at us for asking him to fix the driveway???

Anyways I am now moving into a 2/3 bedroom that is 745$ unheated...uptown on prince william , its MUCH more modern, beautiful windows, ceilings, lighting,dishwasher, etc an executive apartment for sure. Gonna be more money but at this point I am sick of living in a slum house and would rather pay more!!!!!!!!!!

I guess that is why it is hard to say what apartments are renting for. You might have a good rent but live in a dump(mezmari, you know your landlord would never live there!)I am moving into an apartment soon and it is beautiful! Totally renovated and not just renovated like some ads say. It is like no one has ever lived there....with all brand new appliances(fridge,stove,washer,dryer and dishwasher!) Really small though...too small for us but it was all that we could find and the rent is 650 unheated! It will do for now. But most of the apartments we looked at were in that price range....not many come heated now a days.