PDA

View Full Version : 120 Pencils

Cherry Pop
08-15-2007, 12:48 AM
Why does my daughter's school supply list say I need to buy that many pencils? She is going into grade 4. Anyone else have to buy that many pencils for their kids school supplies?

Chinna Dah
08-15-2007, 07:05 AM
likely because some parents will buy ten, and when those run out they use yours.

Friends of mine bought all hillroy note books and all the better stuff, and thier kids came home with all no name stuff. they asked the teacher what happened to the good stuff they bought, and the teacher said that it all just goes into a pool, and the teachers disperse the materials as each child needs it.

Tara
08-15-2007, 07:27 AM
Which is why I spent as little as possible this year. My son is going into his first year of school, I didn't realise that everything went into a pool. I wasn't about to spend a fortune for someone else. But I do think it's a good idea.

stripekv
08-15-2007, 07:31 AM
I know at one school in the Valley, teacher's for a certain grade send a note home at the end of the year stating to not buy school supplies, and instead to bring in $40.00 and the teachers will purchase all of the supplies and disperse them as needed throughout the year.

puppyluv
08-15-2007, 07:40 AM
My sister refuses to pool in the resources..She and a few other parents said NO...they have no iddues buying extra for the kids whose parents can not afford, but she wants to buy her child specific things..

The school let them do it that way..I personally agree with her.

coffeegal
08-15-2007, 07:47 AM
I have heard of the "pooling of supplies" but it has never happened to my son, who is going in grade 7 at Harry Miller. His list states 20 pencils and 20 pens, but it also says to only send 5 and have the rest easily available when needed. Maybe different teachers word things differently??:confused: ??. Im thinking my son hasn't used 120 pencils in total since starting school, lol. Typo maybe???

karen
08-15-2007, 08:00 AM
120 pencils does seem like alot, but on the other hand, you can buy a 12 pack of pencils for $0.49

trinity
08-15-2007, 09:40 AM
I would have hated that as a child, I would not have liked to "share" my belongings, nor be told that my spelling book needed to be green, my math yellow, science pink etc- that seems to me like they are trying to train the kids to be mindless in some way.

TheCBCGuy
08-15-2007, 09:50 AM
I was kind of put off by the fact that the supplies are pooled and then given out too. I didn't know this was being done.
I'm conflicted about this. On one hand I think it's great all the kids have access to school supplies.
But on the other I worry that it might not be fair to the people who might have paid more for their supplies.
It might also encourage the purchase of cheap, sub-standard school supplies.
Question. Why don't the parent's just give cash and let the schools do the buying? Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to buy them all at the same place at the same time in bulk?

karen
08-15-2007, 11:36 AM
I think give $40-$50/school year is a great idea. That way, every child uses the same brand (quality) notebooks, pencils, etc. But unfortunately, there are only certain classes/schools that use that approach when it comes to school supplies.

The_Dave
08-15-2007, 11:45 AM
In my opinion, I would not like having to pay for other children's school supplies. Their parents/parent get all the handouts such as GST, child tax credit, Universal child care, etc. which is supposed to go towards their supplies supplies. I even think there is an extra cheque sent out to people on assistance at this time of year for school supplies. ( not 100 percent sure though ) We pay enough taxes as it is, there is no need for anyone to make sure someone else's children are prepared for school.

nanny
08-15-2007, 01:39 PM
My granddaughter is starting kindergarten this year. I'm buying all her supplies and if the teacher puts her supplies in a pool, i'll object to that. I put two kids through school and my husband and i didn't depend on other people, helping. Their were times when money was very tight, but we still got what the kids needed, i believe thats considered as, sacrafice. Most parents now a days don't know the meaning of the word. A person has all summer to prepare, whats the problem? My opinion

lizard_lover
08-15-2007, 01:58 PM
I agree. I think "pooling" would be good for certain things...duotangs, cheap things like that because you never know...but binders, and other things can vary DRASTICALLY in price range, so I mean it is not fair to the stuednts or the parents. I remember in grade 6 we had almost no money, so we dollar stored school supplies. My teacher walked around on the first day of school, and told us to put all our supplies out on our desks. she grabbed my dictionary, held it in the air, and said "this is not the proper dictionary. I specified the ____ (cannot remember the name) and they are only 20$ or so at coles. take this home and get the one I asked for" I was humiliated! It was bad enough at that age having everything from the dollar store, but that was low. I think teachers are so strange...

Woofer
08-15-2007, 02:03 PM
120 pencils does seem like alot, but on the other hand, you can buy a 12 pack of pencils for $0.49

which store is this???

karen
08-15-2007, 02:16 PM
a 10 pack of pencils are on for 38 cents at Staples this week!
So 12 packs of pencils at 38 cents each comes to $5.20 taxes in

shy
08-15-2007, 02:25 PM
My granddaughter is starting kindergarten this year. I'm buying all her supplies and if the teacher puts her supplies in a pool, i'll object to that. I put two kids through school and my husband and i didn't depend on other people, helping. Their were times when money was very tight, but we still got what the kids needed, i believe thats considered as, sacrafice. Most parents now a days don't know the meaning of the word. A person has all summer to prepare, whats the problem? My opinion
i agree with you my daughter is starting kindergarten to and when i read her list i all most died lol! I'm a single mother and money is tight but i feel you should have to buy other children's school supplies for them,if they can get it them self then i think they should be looking at there life differently!!!!!

blepton
08-15-2007, 02:44 PM
My niece had to bring 10 boxes of kleenix to school last year. I thought that was awful! I prefer the method the teachers use of giving the money to the school for the teachers to provide the supplies. That way everyone has the same things.

sarahnb
08-15-2007, 02:45 PM
Seroiusly? People have a problem with the way school supplies are done? I think it's more that teachers know specifically what they need in their classroom and which brands work. Some pencils are horrible to sharpen and some crayons/markers are not as good as others. I have one going to Forest Hills and one going to Champlain Heights. FH asks for the money, Champlain Heights gives out a list. Either way, it's roughly $30. If I send it all in at the beginning of the year, it still gets pooled. As long as my kids have what they need, it's all good. If the teacher bought the supplies at Staples and got a good deal, saved money and got Staples rewards, then good for her/him and they can buy some of the extras that they use in the classroom. If the surplus of supplies helps out another family, then that's great. It's not like I'm being asked to supply an extra pair of sneakers or an extra lunch for the year.

jdcb
08-15-2007, 02:52 PM
likely because some parents will buy ten, and when those run out they use yours.

Friends of mine bought all hillroy note books and all the better stuff, and thier kids came home with all no name stuff. they asked the teacher what happened to the good stuff they bought, and the teacher said that it all just goes into a pool, and the teachers disperse the materials as each child needs it.

I would find that quite unacceptable...

richunclepennywise
08-15-2007, 07:42 PM
ummm....anyone bother to check if it's just a typo....maybe the list was supposed to say 12 pencils?

leeleemom
08-15-2007, 08:01 PM
ummm....anyone bother to check if it's just a typo....maybe the list was supposed to say 12 pencils?

Prob not a typo my son is going in grade 3 and he is to bring 5 packs of pencils!!

Cherry Pop
08-16-2007, 09:19 AM

First I'd like to say WOW! I didn't think so many people would respond - Hi everyone! To answer the above it isn't a typo. They asked for the same amount last year. I think it's crazy, my daughter doesn't go through that many pencils, yet at the end of the year she doesn't bring any home. Someone mentioned earlier about Income Assistance giving an extra cheque well they add $50 to your check for school supplies this is suppose to cover all supplies, bookbag, lunch bag, sneakers, etc. My position on the "pool of supplies" is I don't think it's a fair way to do things. Since all people on Income Assitance get money for supplies, they should use that money for that. I'm low income right now and use the money for supplies so why should I have to buy for other peoples kids who decide not to use the money for supplies. It's not fair to me or my kid as financially we are no better off than them. That is the thing that upsets me. I mean if I was in a better position financially I'd have no problem helping out those who aren't but since I'm in the same boat as them I think it's unfair for them to expect me to buy supplies for their kids as well. Again as I stated above I have $50 to buy everything. I've done good so far although I've had to search for the deals. I have only been able to find 10 packs of pencils for $.99 which means I'd have to spend almost $12 to pay for 120 pencils. That is something I can't afford when I only have $50 to begin with. Another thing, something I do with my daughter's supplies - I put her name on everything in BIG letters so she gets to use her stuff! Well that's my rant, thanks for reading!

leeleemom
08-16-2007, 09:24 AM
cherrypop I am not sure where you live but i was at zellers yesterday and they had 24 packs of pencils for .99. Also they have duotangs for .10 each. Good deals!

airsky501
08-16-2007, 10:42 AM
My oh MY..

Isn't it funny how we tell our kids to learn to share but when we are paying for it, well that's a different story.

I know teachers that pay for the supplies out of their own pockets when they are short.

trinity
08-16-2007, 10:46 AM
I like the idea of putting her name on things, that would work.

Cherry Pop
08-16-2007, 11:36 AM
My oh MY..

Isn't it funny how we tell our kids to learn to share but when we are paying for it, well that's a different story.

I know teachers that pay for the supplies out of their own pockets when they are short.

When you don't have much money it's kind of hard to pay for others supplies. It's hard to get all that my daughter needs for school let alone for someone else's child who is in the same situation as me! Like I said before if I was in a better financial position I would have no problem helping out others. Heck when I'm better health wise and get a job, I'll help out with supplies for others kids. All I'm saying is that when I'm just as poor as them I shouldn't be expected to buy for their kids as well. If I can take the $50 dollars and make it work then they should be able to too!

Cherry Pop
08-16-2007, 11:38 AM
cherrypop I am not sure where you live but i was at zellers yesterday and they had 24 packs of pencils for .99. Also they have duotangs for .10 each. Good deals!

Thanks! I don't get out much due to health reasons. So anyone else know of any cheap prices please feel free to post them. I could use the help with who has the best prices as it is hard for me to get out and around!

leeleemom
08-16-2007, 12:15 PM
I like the idea of putting her name on things, that would work.

It won't work. The teachers will just cross the kids names off!!

leeleemom
08-16-2007, 12:20 PM
Cherrypop...I understand where you are coming from. I am on a very limited income as well and each year the supply lists are getting worse. On top of all the supplies we are to get just for the classroom we have to get bookbags,lunchboxes and 2 pairs of sneakers(indoor and outdoor). I have 3 kids and 2 of them are in school and I am finding it very hard as well. I am all into sharing and I do teach my kids to share but when i spend x amount of dollars on some things like washable markers(hard to get cheap) and i find out that my child doesn't get to use them and another child does it is frustrating.

karen
08-16-2007, 01:27 PM
Staples has fantastic deals! The longer you wait the better the deals!
I also suggest, if you have a few extra dollars (and sometimes that's all you need) pick up a few extra necessities while they are still on sale (I usually pick up 4-6 extra boxes of crayons at about $0.49/box and use them throughout the school year or put in with my neices' or nephews' gifts) - if they don't get used in this school year you will have them for next

lizard_lover
08-16-2007, 01:45 PM
I cannot believe teachers do that. Scribble out the names of your kids, but I would not put it past them. I see their side...poor family gives "no name" brand supplies, where as better off families can get all name brand stuff...can cause for teasing in school...but that being said...there are parents from low income families, who save to buy their child what they need...and to see other kids get that can be frustrating...I always had the cheap stuff...but for grade 12 my grandparents took me to staples, gave me their bank card, and let me get whatever I wanted. That was just the once I got spoiled, and they said I had better graduate and it worked lol. I would have died to see all that stuff get pooled...but even still, I think it is not fair to parents and children alike. As well, the lists are getting ridiculous! My brother's gets worse every year...last year they actually told him 4 pairs of sneakers, 10 2inch binders...and they had to bee zipper binders, and other stuff....

Cherry Pop
08-16-2007, 03:26 PM
My original thought to this thread though is:
120 pencils x 20 kids = 2400 pencils
Is it just me or does that seem like a lot of pencils for even 20 kids?!

leeleemom
08-16-2007, 03:39 PM
My original thought to this thread though is:
120 pencils x 20 kids = 2400 pencils
Is it just me or does that seem like a lot of pencils for even 20 kids?!

YES!! Makes no sense!! My son is in grade 3 and they asked for 5 pkgs of pencils and 15 duotangs! My other son is in grade 1 and they asked for 12- 32 page notebooks. Along with other stuff. Makes me wonder if they gave different lists to different parents....just a thought. I don't mind if some parents can't afford it but neither can I. But I manage. I feel I have no choice. What really bothers me is that some parents(and I have heard them talking) REFUSE to buy this much. Not because they can't but because they won't. Bothers me because then I end up supplying their kids when they run out.

friskeywhiskey
08-16-2007, 04:24 PM
My daughter is now going into grade 7 and ever since she was in kindergarden school supplies have always been placed in a pool for all the children to use. At first I was a little taken back by this practice but have since have began to appreciate why it is done.

1. it does not center a child out for not being able to purchase particular items (brand name vs. no name) really should the child be made to feel bad because their parents can not afford brand name school supplies (we all know that children are cruel)
2. if you are low income or having money troubles sometimes parents can not afford everything that is on the list when things are pooled you buy what you can and do not have to worry that your child will go without
(the $50 income assistance gives people is a joke - in all the years of buying school supplies I have never come under $50 and I bargain shop)

At the sametime I would love if the teacher just asked for a certain $$ amount and got all the supplies it would make things easier in that everything would be the same and with the sheer amount they are purchasing they most likely could negotiate a better price. But most of all I would not have to go shopping for the supplies myself and search for the buys!!

As a side note I think it would be a great idea for schools to go to school uniforms to help eliminate "reason 1" above with clothing as well.

mizunderstood
08-16-2007, 07:09 PM
I have one child that I had to buy for this year and I know in NS they do not pool their suppiles. What the kid brings is what he gets to use. If they don't get everything on the list then they go without and I am sorry that is the way that it is supposed to be. I myself am not well off financially but we do what we can. I shop all year long when things are on sale and put them away or use them as need be. I do not want my kid to have to use the no name stuff which is usually not as good quaility as what we buy. Why should I spend the money on my child and have another family that may be too lazy or too cheap reep the benefits? NO WAY. Sorry. There is no excuse to not have the supplies that are needed.

AreWeThereYetMom
08-16-2007, 08:59 PM
Another thing to note - do not send everything that is on your child's list to school the first week of school.
I've noticed that various grades request such a broad range of things with all 3 of my kids that there's either:

A) an excessive amount brought in that goes into the pool (which is now fine by me, but I also had a hard time understanding that when my youngest was in elementary lol). Sure, the teacher can store them, but over the years, I've found out that the excessive things don't always get entirely used nor returned to the student. I.E. Send 1/2 the construction paper, duotangs, scribblers, ziplock bags, kleenex.

B) Check with the teacher on the first parent teacher night as to how the supplies are holding up and offer to send in additional things to help the pooled items. Also offer learning stickers, sticky notes, colored paper, etc if your budget can handle it, some teachers do appreciate this to add a mix to what they already have.

C) The notebooks and duotangs usually get pooled and used by color so don't bother labeling them.

D) Just buy the common brand things for crayons, markers, rulers, scissors etc, these most always get pooled in the younger grades.

E) Avoid foreign made pencils, markers and pencil crayons - these are crap!! The kids always dig through the crayon/marker bin for the good ones.

I was shocked to see the 120 pencils request, that is outrageous - I've never seen it that high - I suggest 60 is the normal and keep 1/2 of these at home.

My daughters grade 7 list has requested 2000 sheets of looseleaf!!!
Now thats also excessive - that amount will suit my 3 kids in all 3 grade levels for the whole year and then some.
And her list doesn't recommend to keep supplies at home, but I have to be extremely frugal at home and would rather not share with the entire class in middle school haha!

She gets so annoyed when kids at middle school 'forget' their stuff and bug other students to borrow paper and pens.
I can understand families on stricter budgets than mine, but it's laziness on the part of some of the student's when you find out they have double income families with all the extra perks at home and don't bother keeping up on their gear.

shy
08-17-2007, 08:38 AM
i know i all ready add my thought but i was reading some were that you send $40 and the school would buy the supplies well i think thats a wonderful idea.like i said my little girl is starting kindergarten and she need 7 duotangs,5 large glue stick,2 pkg of markers and so on well i say hahaha i will buy her this stuff but its not all being sent.

JustWatching
08-17-2007, 09:58 AM
simply object to pooling your kids stuff - tell the school/teacher (whomever) that you're not doing it - only send in a few things they would need the first day and keep the rest at home - has anyone tried telling the school they refuse to pool their stuff?

All you need is love
08-17-2007, 01:22 PM
Wow, I don't remember there every being a pooling of resources when I was in the younger grades. The only thing like that we had to do was bring in a few boxes of Kleenex to share.

I agree with it because we always bought too much anyway and if someone is truly in need, I wouldn't mind sharing. And I suppose colour-coding the books makes sense...sorta.

I disagree with it because a lot of times when you run into the middle of the school year, kids may actually have these things but they may have forgotten them in their lockers, desks, at home, etc. Or lost them, in the case of pencils or pens. That happened a lot when I was younger, it wasn't always because the kids' parents couldn't afford the supplies. And then the other kids are paying for their laziness, and I think it's better that they learn to bring their stuff with them.

It even still happens in high school because kids are too lazy and leave their stuff in their locker by mistake or forget to tell their parents they're out of something. I've even did that once or twice with looseleaf, forgotten to grab some from home and ran out at school. It happens all the time and it's not because kids can't afford the stuff.

Once you get into middle school though, I think you should bring your own things. I mean, when you go to high school, you don't even get a supply list, it's just common sense by then. You don't need to be babied in middle school by being told what colour books to have and all of that.

Beechnut
08-17-2007, 03:01 PM
our school asks specifically to put your child's name on each individual item (pencils and markers too) However they still pool all the supplies. My little one came home one day covered in green ink. I asked what happened and she told me her green marker ran out so the teacher gave her a new one. It was a dollar store not washable. What happened to the 2 paks of washable crayola ones I sent in. Probably sitting with the extra construction paper and duo-tangs that we never got back at the end of the year. She did bring her homework home in a folder with another child's name on the inside and her name on the outside . Why do we bother naming the items.?? Just to make the parents feel better? I also wonder if each parent is buying scissors EVERY year and they never come home where do they all go??

JustWatching
08-17-2007, 03:32 PM
Has anyone spoken to the school/teacher/principle or whomever and stated they DO NOT want their childs stuff in this "pool" or simply not allowed all the stuff to be sent in (only as the child needs it) AND what was the schools response???

leeleemom
08-17-2007, 03:49 PM
our school asks specifically to put your child's name on each individual item (pencils and markers too) However they still pool all the supplies. My little one came home one day covered in green ink. I asked what happened and she told me her green marker ran out so the teacher gave her a new one. It was a dollar store not washable. What happened to the 2 paks of washable crayola ones I sent in. Probably sitting with the extra construction paper and duo-tangs that we never got back at the end of the year. She did bring her homework home in a folder with another child's name on the inside and her name on the outside . Why do we bother naming the items.?? Just to make the parents feel better? I also wonder if each parent is buying scissors EVERY year and they never come home where do they all go??

You know what I think you hit it on the head! Things like scissors......do they get tossed?. I was upset one day when I went in and saw my sons pencil box. There were maybe 4 or 5 pencils in it(not the ones I got him) and like 5 crayons($ store ones) and I was like what?? I do buy some things there but stuff like crayons and markers from there I won't buy...they are terrible and cheap. But then I wonder why he got stuck with them when I bought him crayola??And trust me it may have been a "brand name" but I got them on sale and paid much less than $ store price. My son picked out the colour of scissors he wanted and surprise they were not in his box either! So it is a little upsetting because I am on a limited income but I search for the bargains so that my kids don't have to use the cheap made supplies and they end up getting them anyway.....kinda feels like I am wasting my time for someone elses child.

Cherry Pop
08-23-2007, 09:33 PM

I was told by some teachers that the scissors go in the garbage at the end of the year! My daughter has never brought hers home either. When she was in kindergarden I asked about them and was told the school keeps them but then friends of mine who are teachers told me that they get thrown out.

Cherry Pop
08-23-2007, 09:36 PM
Has anyone spoken to the school/teacher/principle or whomever and stated they DO NOT want their childs stuff in this "pool" or simply not allowed all the stuff to be sent in (only as the child needs it) AND what was the schools response???

I have always voiced my opinion about this to my daughter's school. They, the teachers and principle, every year have told me too bad that's the way we do it here and they want to make it fair for those who might not be able to afford the supplies. That's what I'm always told.

MichelleM
08-23-2007, 09:54 PM
My daughter goes to foresthills and at the end of the year the teacher divided up the left over supplies as best as she could. She cam home with 2 pairs of scissors( one still in the package), books, and some other stuff but this was the first year that this happened. As for the original question of the 120 pencils, it is probably not a typo.. On the forsethills website grade 4 school list is asking for 100 pencils if you get them yourself. I was curious and checked the other lists and by grade 6 they only require 10....I find it hard to imagine why you would need 90 extra pencils in a younger grade.

Cherry Pop
08-23-2007, 10:28 PM
I've been checking lists in others cities like when my mom took me to Sussex and a friend took me to Calais. In Sussex, the grade 4 list asked for one package of pencils (it didn't state the size of the package). In Calais, they asked for 20 pencils. I just can't figure out why a school in Saint John needs so many more pencils! I even talked to my friends who are teachers and they told me it seems excessive.

sarahnb
08-24-2007, 08:46 AM
I've gotten pencil cases and scissors back. Ds's gr 1 teacher didn't even send home any art work all year. It was still on the walls the last day of school.

Here's the lists for Forest Hills
http://foresthillsschool.nbed.nb.ca/school_supplies.htm
It doesn't make sense that in grade two english they ask for 4 notebooks and 50 pencils and in french they need 8 notebooks and 30 pencils.
Shouldn't more paper = more pencils?

Send in a reasonable amount of pencils and leave it at that.

habsfan10
08-24-2007, 11:13 AM
I disagree with pooling as well....Like they said...you have all summer to prepare. Instead of that extra movie night out or a treat at the store for your kids or yourself, go buy a few school supplies instead. I buy what is required on the list, BUT...I only send 1 of everything at the beginning of the year and if my child needs more, I will give it to them in the middle of the year.And as for color coding subjects.......that is ridiculous!!!!!! Does anyone know where to buy a PINK duotang!!!!! I need two of them if someone knows.lol lol lol

mommyd
08-24-2007, 11:13 AM
this is so strange. I have a son just going to pre school this year so i dn't have any experience with class lists for supplies or anything. All i have to go on is what was done when i was in school.
We only had class lists in elem. school. never for junior high or highschool.. (although i understand now with grade 6 being in middle school it's diff. )
I don't really like the pooling idea. I remember i would have one notebook per subject and when one got filled i got a new one from home. Same with pencils and stuff.. i would have a pencil case with a few pencils and when they got used up I would get a few more from our stash at home. I also remember having cubbies.. where all our stuff like crayons and things that don't really fit into a pencil case was stored and maybe that's where we put our notebookes we didn't need to take home too, not sure.
There was never any problem with this system, or so i thought. I don't get having to buy 30 notebooks to have for the beginning of the year. We would buy enough to have 2 or 3 for each subject and then if they all ran out We'd go buy more.. this buying in bulk is dumb.. yeah there are deals on the beginning of the school year but geese.. even then it all adds up. I'm with a previous poster, the only thing that was ever pooled were kleenex, because there's always kids with colds and on average each child is going to have about 4-5 colds a year, if not more. And at the same time, if some parents buy the gross cheapo brands.. well my mom would also send me to school with a couple of those little packs of kleenex when i DiD have a cold.

I can kind of understand the pool a LITTLE bit because there ARE and always will be parents that don't do what they are supposed to with their money in regards to their kids, they're always gonna go the cheap route because they just don't care, and it's not the kid's fault.. but i mean.. isn't that what the school supplies drive is for?

There were years where i would have the same pair of sciccors or geometry set or whatever for years because it always stayed with me and i took care of it.
I honestly am not looking forward to having to deal with this pool for when my son goes to school. I always enjoyed having my own things.
And i don't think i will be sending my son to school with everything on that list. I will buy what he needs and he better be coming home with the same items i sent him with.
Gosh.. having your own supplies and pencil case is one of the first forms of responsibility some kids get to deal with on their own.

JustWatching
08-24-2007, 11:32 AM
I don't think so....If someone flat out refuses to allow their childs stuff to be pooled by keeping 90% of it at home...what can they do...if a note is sent the first day stating your childs items are named/labelled and are to be kept with your child (not to mention most of it isn't there anyway) and if there are any issues leave your phone number for them to call.

I'm really not sure what they could do....

It's sad that it comes to that....if the schools would be proactive and maybe even send out a note at the end of the year that they will accept small donations over the summer (or beginning of new school year - week before school actually starts) of cash to help teachers purchase anything extra they may need for kids who don't get it from home. I'm ok with giving a 5 or 10 dollar donation for that. That way people could give what they could and those that can't - don't.

I think that is reasonable...but to ask parents to go out and by school supplies (their child picks what they want) and one parent my spend $20 and another may spend $150...then pool all that stuff together...nope...there is no way that system is fair.

Especially when I hear there are school supply drives (Rogers) - I think you can pick up stuff at the food bank (Not too sure)

Anyway it is not up to a few parents to supply quality school supplies for the entire class....sorry...

lizard_lover
08-24-2007, 12:18 PM
totally....Families are given "x" ammount of money to buy supplies...so what is the issues? Yeah, of course there are parents that spend it on themselves, and buy a pack of pencils and a book for their kids...but why do the teachers not get donations? I would gladly give donations for this (and I do not even have kids) because i can remember having nothing going to school, the embarassment, but it is not fair for people to spend 100$+ on their kids for school, and end up with the crappy stuff...

MichelleM
08-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Sometimes I think it would be nice but I have found it a lot easier to pay the money to the teacher. All the kids have the same and you don't have to worry that they will run out of stuff, if they do the teacher gives it to them. There was one year that we had to get the supplies because not enough kids gave money and it cost me a lot more than $40 that they ask for not to mention I had to search everywhere to find the things one the list.

Cherry Pop
08-24-2007, 06:42 PM
I don't think so....If someone flat out refuses to allow their childs stuff to be pooled by keeping 90% of it at home...what can they do...if a note is sent the first day stating your childs items are named/labelled and are to be kept with your child (not to mention most of it isn't there anyway) and if there are any issues leave your phone number for them to call.

I'm really not sure what they could do....

It's sad that it comes to that....if the schools would be proactive and maybe even send out a note at the end of the year that they will accept small donations over the summer (or beginning of new school year - week before school actually starts) of cash to help teachers purchase anything extra they may need for kids who don't get it from home. I'm ok with giving a 5 or 10 dollar donation for that. That way people could give what they could and those that can't - don't.

I think that is reasonable...but to ask parents to go out and by school supplies (their child picks what they want) and one parent my spend $20 and another may spend $150...then pool all that stuff together...nope...there is no way that system is fair.

Especially when I hear there are school supply drives (Rogers) - I think you can pick up stuff at the food bank (Not too sure)

Anyway it is not up to a few parents to supply quality school supplies for the entire class....sorry...

I totally agree with you! I would have no problem making a donation of a package of pencils, crayons and maybe a package of looseleaf all of which I probably could afford to do but when I'm expected to buy double or more for the kids who don't have any on my low income, I simply don't think that is fair. I would say that 120 pencils definately is about double or more! Someone posted earlier about when they went to school the supplies were kept at home and they would get them from there as needed. Well that is how it was when I went to school and I guess you could say that it did teach me responsibility. In fact I had the same pair of scissors from Kindergarden all the way to grade 12 and through community college. And guess what - I still have them! They are sitting in my kitchen as I type this, lol!!

jkennedy
08-27-2007, 09:20 PM
My kids pooled their stuff for 4 out of the 6 years they've been in school. I joked that 5 packages of pencils would literally last my son through to the end of grade 12. I also giggled when he would need 32 duotangs and only use 6 of them. I know they are cheap but all of the supplies together in quantities like that add up to be more than some people can afford. We would get 2 boxes of ziplock bags and only use one out of the box for the whole year yet there were usually requests for various additional supplies half way through the year. They go to schools now where they get to use their own stuff.

JustWatching
08-28-2007, 08:10 AM
They go to schools now where they get to use their own stuff.

That's great....which schools might that be (that don't pool their stuff)

mizunderstood
08-28-2007, 12:18 PM
I know when my kids go to school their supplies will not be pooled. I will send what they need every day end of story, if the school does not like it then too bad for them.

Eastsider
08-28-2007, 12:20 PM
Does anyone have a school supply list for Grade 1 for Champlain Heights?

sarahnb
08-28-2007, 01:56 PM
i have grade two at CH

care1978
08-28-2007, 02:05 PM
i know on a few occassions my sister has tried the supply pooling until one year her lil guy came home 4 or 5 months into the school year and said that he needed more duo-tangs and glue, when she had sent 3 sticks of glue and numerous duo-tangs, i personally do feel sorry for those kids out there that arent receiving proper school supplies, but it shouldnt be the responsibity of someone else's parent to supply them, if the school supplies the things needed then the parent of that child should be billed for the school's expense, just an idea.

care1978
08-28-2007, 02:11 PM
i also have on occassion seen kids using books or duot-tangs with another child's name on it scratched out and replaced with theirs, i dont think the school should be allowed to take it upon themselves to do this, sadly i guess they are able to though, as for the parents that receive the $50 for school supplies maybe they should be made to show receipts or possibly just be given a voucher for the supplies so they cannot spend it on themselves, no child should have to go without their supplies because they may have and irresponsible or selfish parent...... generally speaking of course.

MichelleM
08-28-2007, 02:28 PM
why do people get $50 for school supplies?

care1978
08-28-2007, 03:38 PM
why do people get $50 for school supplies?
people with a low income get $50 for school supplies, but i think it would be a better idea if they were given vouchers instead, then they can be sure to spend it on school supplies.

westsider
08-29-2007, 10:19 AM
List for grade 5 french at Havelock School

25 duotangs
2pkg loose leaf (200 sheets)
4 notebooks (no coils)
Pencils (several packages - year supply)
Erasers
1 pkg of wooden pencil crayons
1 pkg of markers (for projects)
4 large glue sticks
1 small bottle of white glue
Package of pens
1 protractor
1 pair of sissors
1 small pencil sharpener
1 pencil case
1 scrapbook (for art projects)
1 binder (used to carry agenda, homework and memos)
1 book bag
1 pair of sneakers (for indoor and gym)
2 boxes of kleenex tissues

Please have ALL supplies labeled with student's name

Seems pretty fair, the 25 duotangs is a bit steep, but they are like 10 cents each, so not a big deal. And it did say to lable all the supplies with the child's name.

Here is my son's list for grade 1 at Havelock School (English)

1 1" binder
1 campfire type notebook
20 HB pencils
1 pair of sissors
2 boxes of kleenex
3 glue sticks
1 bottle of white glue
1 pkg large slidelock bags
1 pkg small slidelock bags
1 pkg construction paper
3 white erasers
1 box of wax crayons
1 pencil box
3 pocket folders
3 dotted line notebooks (72 pgs.) with 1/2 page blank and 1/2 page lined

Please send in $4.00 for tab dividers, all duotangs, and washable markers which will be purchased by the teacher.
Gym sneakers with child's name inside. (These sneakers may be used elsewhere but please make sure they are the type that do not leave black marks.)

Please make sure all of your child's belongings are labeled with his or her full name....(Sneakers,jakets, boots, etc.)
No scented products please.

I obviously had to still buy 2 bookbags and 2 lunch bags for my children. I do get the extra 50 dollars per child because I am on assistance. So I had 100 to use towards my shopping. The total of everything I bought came to just over $160. As far as I know, the crayons and pencils get pooled.
Seem fair to you? I think Im okay with it lol.

westsider
08-29-2007, 10:21 AM
Oh and the glue sticks get pooled too, Im pretty sure. But I still have my children's name on EVERYTHING except for the pencils.

jkennedy
09-03-2007, 10:41 AM
That's great....which schools might that be (that don't pool their stuff)

I have one at Loch Lomond and the other is off to Bayside this year.

sarahnb
09-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Any teachers want to give their insight?

lizard_lover
09-04-2007, 11:33 AM
I think if teachers were going to give insight, they would have by now? This thread has been going on for awhile now lol...just my 2 cents...well, school starts today! let us all see how the outcome of all this goes

undr
09-05-2007, 11:19 AM
our kids schools ask for supplies, and we dont see half of it. i had to buy 3 hole punches...lol 3 hole punches every kid... 10 bucks a piece at staples. and the ask not to put the childrens names on anything. i do anyway. i dont have a problem suppling "less fortunate" kids supplies, however they should put a semi accurate list of what they need, and a list at the bottom stating the stuff some kids run out of. then i could put my kids names on the supplies i bought for my kids, and leave the rest. at least i could be sure that my kids would be getting good supplies, and not somebody elses cheap, junk ones..

ILiveOnEarth
09-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Well it must be tough on some of you having to help kids that cant afford pencils. Big deal buy a few extra pencils and share. And Trinity poor thing when you were young you would not share your stuff. Hope you grew out of being a spoiled brat that would not share :)

JustWatching
09-18-2007, 09:36 AM
....ILiveOnEarth....

I have no problem whatsoever helping anyone out....god knows that....what I do have a problem with is a child going out over the summer and picking out whatever they want for the new school year...perhaps it's pencils they really like....pens...scribblers...whatever. It is what they wanted...it might cost .10cents or $10.00 it really doesn't matter the price. Then the first day of school they have to hand in to the teacher everything they have...Perhaps the person beside them ends up with the neat little item they had brought in...I think that is sort of cruel...don't you?

Now if the school needs help because some kids come to school without their supplies...then I'm all for helping...send home a note at the beginning of the school year listing what could be donated....or a note asking for small donations....I think that would be fine....

Having said that...It really isn't up to a few families to supply the entire class with school supplies. (However, many people are willing to help)

sarahnb
09-18-2007, 10:25 AM
I keep the "neat little items" for homework time. They're only going to go missing anyway.

trinity
09-18-2007, 11:08 AM
Why would I want to share anything with people who threw rocks at me, tried to run me over with bicycles, and chased me across parking lots calling me names? They didn't have "zero tolerance" for bullying when I was in school, once I told on a boy who pulled the chair out from under me as I was sitting down, I got pinched and tripped on the way BACK to my seat after reporting it. Then I was harassed for days by crowds of kids chanting "rat rat rat" following me all over the school.

ILiveOnEarth
09-18-2007, 02:32 PM
....ILiveOnEarth....

I have no problem whatsoever helping anyone out....god knows that....what I do have a problem with is a child going out over the summer and picking out whatever they want for the new school year...perhaps it's pencils they really like....pens...scribblers...whatever. It is what they wanted...it might cost .10cents or $10.00 it really doesn't matter the price. Then the first day of school they have to hand in to the teacher everything they have...Perhaps the person beside them ends up with the neat little item they had brought in...I think that is sort of cruel...don't you?

Now if the school needs help because some kids come to school without their supplies...then I'm all for helping...send home a note at the beginning of the school year listing what could be donated....or a note asking for small donations....I think that would be fine....

Having said that...It really isn't up to a few families to supply the entire class with school supplies. (However, many people are willing to help)

Your right now that I think about it I see your point 100%

ILiveOnEarth
09-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Why would I want to share anything with people who threw rocks at me, tried to run me over with bicycles, and chased me across parking lots calling me names? They didn't have "zero tolerance" for bullying when I was in school, once I told on a boy who pulled the chair out from under me as I was sitting down, I got pinched and tripped on the way BACK to my seat after reporting it. Then I was harassed for days by crowds of kids chanting "rat rat rat" following me all over the school.

I know I went through the same thing. I did not think about that when I posted. I really don't understand why bulling still goes on. Do you think Humans will ever evolve beyond bulling and in an extreme case War? You know if you look at it War is just bullying taking to the next level.

lizard_lover
09-18-2007, 03:31 PM
we bully on here all the time...everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and i say that all the time but yet bashing happens because someone believes something different...

leeleemom
09-19-2007, 12:38 PM
we bully on here all the time...everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and i say that all the time but yet bashing happens because someone believes something different...

We are not talking about bullying on here. We are all adults...or supposed to be on here. Bullying in schools has to stop. Being entitled to your opinion and bullying are two different things. My son has gotten picked on by someone every year and I put a stop to it. I won't tolerate my son not wanting to go to school and making himself sick over it. He won't tell me about it but I notice and start asking him. Them I go to the teacher and it stops.