PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff from tenants rights thread

leeleemom
08-11-2007, 09:35 AM
Noting the tenants rights thread that I stared I have come accross another problem. So I am now on a major hunt for an apartment....not an easy task as all of you apartment renters know! Anyhow, I am finding it hard to find apartments to even look at,which is bad enough. But what is really bothering me is that no one seems to want kids! Before anyone says it, I know that it is a landlords right to rent to whom he wants. I was talking to a few people and they were kinda shocked when I told them that so many landlords don't want kids even though they are renting a 3 bedroom apartment. Is anyone else having or had this problem? Should I dare say that it seems like discrimination? Just feels that way.

Tania
08-11-2007, 09:45 AM
I did have a problem with this but I did finally find the perfect apt in town.. YAYYYYYY but I was straight forward with the landlord that I had three kids and it IS his discretion to rent to me or not.. but I make it clear from the beginning that I have children so I'm not wasting his and my time and no surprises..
It's a touchy situation but I do understand where some landlords are coming from. Not only the value of their rentals but the consideration of other tenants.. It's not right BUT it's a fact of life and one we have to face having our children. Not everyone is comfortable with it.. so I say to each his own.. it took me a while to find a place and finding one that would take my kids wasn't a problem it was the areas and fear for the safety of me and my children.
Good luck on your search and hope you find some place you and your children will be happy in..

Tania
08-11-2007, 09:46 AM
oh one more thing..

would you really want to live ANYWHERE your children weren't welcomed.. ???

space
08-11-2007, 10:43 AM
have you thought of asking a landlord if they had ever lived in an apt when they were kids?

there are family buildings out there.
good luck

Eremda
08-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Try calling Housing Alternatives. They are now located north. They take care of the Co-op's in all sections of town. The co op's are mostly kid friendly and the rents are very reasonable. Some co op's are even pet friendly.

leeleemom
08-11-2007, 11:16 AM
oh one more thing..

would you really want to live ANYWHERE your children weren't welcomed.. ???

No I would never want to live where my children were not welcome. And I do the same thing. As soon as I call an apartment I ask if they allow kids and if there is even any hesitation in their voice I don't bother. I am finding it harder to find a place because I want to stay in the same area I live now so I don't have to change the kids school.

dan j
08-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Hazen Investments and Killam Properties are both companies that friends of mine have rented from and have been very happy with. I'm not sure about their policies on children. I imagine that they would have some buildings that are adult only and some that are children friendly.

ask them what you're looking for, how much you want to spend, and any other info. they'll probably let you know if they have anything that fits.

oh yeah, for killam properties you will probably find that you'd be in an aliant tv service area which is considerably cheaper than other tv services. there are also killam discounts for other things too. it's not a big deal but saves a few bucks each month.

mizunderstood
08-11-2007, 04:52 PM
best of luck finding a place I know it is hard to find one that takes kids, I went through it.

The_Dave
08-12-2007, 09:43 AM
If a landlord tells you that they do not rent to families with children, and you can prove he/she told you this, that is discrimination and is against the law. The rentalsman would have to intervene on your behalf, but most landlords get around this by advertising/saying, Adult building only. They may show you the apartment, but never get back to you to have you rent it.

trinity
08-12-2007, 11:34 AM
I wish there were people with children again in my building, at one point we were the only "childless" apartment in the building and now there are only so called adults in every apartment...the amount of partying, coming and going, door slamming etc is ridiculous. Maybe if some of these people had kids they wouldn't be partying 3 and 4 nights a week. We are quiet and this is really getting on my nerves, especially since the tenants on the third floor have made friends with the ones in the basement apartment, they come and go all night long most nights, slamming front doors, stomping up the stairs, talking and shrieking drunkenly in the front porch right next to my bedroom. I know kids can run and cry and kick their feet, but at least that generally stops between midnight and 7 am. And it isn't the kind of noise you can call the police about, they don't play loud music or anything, but it is the side noise generated by partying, cars pulling up and screeching tires as they leave, people laughing, arguing or swearing outside my door etc as they wait for a cab, the traveling between basement and third floor and so on.

lizard_lover
08-13-2007, 04:20 PM
You know what? My boyfriends friend Jason is going through the same thing...him and his gf live west, and have to move by the first...I saw him the other day, and he said he had called over 20 people about apartments, only 4 or 5 would take kids!! yeah, that many said no kids...and then those couple gave him a hard time too...and they have a couple of kids and two cats...but I think last I heard he was looking at an apt. on charlotte street, so I hope they found a home, and i hope you do too!

leeleemom
08-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Lizard lover..... that is so funny cause jason is my bf!! You are talking about us!! lol!!!!

MezMaRi
08-14-2007, 03:47 PM
It has taken me 4 months to find an apartment that allows children but the dave is right. It is against the law to discriminate and now i know that for sure. If there it is not listed as an adult building than they can not discriminate. If more of us parents fought this things might change...saint john is nearly impossible to find apartments ...just another reason why i dislike the city so much

leeleemom
08-14-2007, 04:44 PM
It has taken me 4 months to find an apartment that allows children but the dave is right. It is against the law to discriminate and now i know that for sure. If there it is not listed as an adult building than they can not discriminate. If more of us parents fought this things might change...saint john is nearly impossible to find apartments ...just another reason why i dislike the city so much

You know what you are right. People like us should fight...fight for us,our children and our rights. I was thinking that earlier about the rentelsman and such. Maybe if we stood together to have laws changed and enforced situations like this wouldn't happen!

MezMaRi
08-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Cheers to that. I am completely respectful of buildings that say "adult building or mature tenants" but if you dont state it anywhere its unfair to turn us away because we chose to have children. Its very disturbing that people think this way, i had one man tell me that children are like animals, they make messes. Had another woman tell me she didnt want kids on the 3rd floor of the building in case i let them outside alone on the balcony???? what kind of parents does that to begin with??? Had another one say no because she had kicked other tenants out for the kids making noise above them. Well guess what people, toddlers make noise, they drive their toys across the floor, and the jump up and down. If you dont like it move somewhere else, why is it always us, THE PEOPLE who are choosing to repopulate this country the ones getting all the slack. when will our rights be heard. The problem is all the "DINKS" or D.I.N.K.S (as my mom calls them) AKA Double Income No Kids have a hell of a lot more money than most of us working jack's who have children, so who do you think is more powerful. The people with "annoying" children or high powered people with money. We all know how money hungry saint john is

dan j
08-14-2007, 05:15 PM
A lot of what you just said could be flipped around as legitimate complaints people without kids have about people with kids.

MezMaRi
08-14-2007, 06:39 PM
Dan...we should not be penalized for having children. they are NOT legitimate. Let the people who want no kids around live in their adult buildings...if my kid wants to jump up and down on the floor she has a right too. I pay rent...and as long as its not after 10pm at night and before 7am in the morning she is darn well gonna do what she wants.

We have right and Im just really sick of seeing people with familys get the shaft around here. This goes back to why i have chosen to move back to Mississauga and raise my child in a place where asians arent getting rocks thrown at them for being different, where landlords cant discriminate over children, Income tax is lower, more jobs, more social programs etc. Rental prices here are to high considering the average 2 person family grosses 48,000 a year and some places want 1000 for a 3 bedroom. Good luck id rather be in a big city where i SHOULD pay 1000 for a 3 bedroom

leeleemom
08-14-2007, 09:36 PM
mezmari....I agree with you. I totally understand if some people that have no children want to live in a building with no children. That is fine with me. But why is it that the ppl with children are the ones that always have to suffer....just because we have kids. I mean say you are looking at a 3 bedroom apartment. The landlord must assume that he is gonna have "families" wanting it. Why does a couple want a 3 bedroom? I have called many places and some landlords seemed shocked when I asked if they allow children. Like they have never thought about it. There was one guy who actually said that he would only allow 1 child and they had to be over the age of 5!! Like what is that all about??? Personally if I was a landlord I would never dismiss kids. I would rather meet the people first and make my own decision based on the impression they give me. Just because someone doesn't have children doesn't mean that they wont destroy the apartment. I do appreciate the ads that say "adult building". Then I am not wasting my time calling. But it is how I am treated when I call and ask....like I am less than them....like my children are bad just because they are children!! Gets me so mad!!

JNE1994
08-14-2007, 11:11 PM
hi, i recently moved to the old rockwood courts, which killam properties own they r kid friendly buildings as i myself have a child. since they took over and got rid of a lot of the bad tenants, it's not that bad of a place to live anymore.
transglobe properties r also kid friendly, although they r constantly raising their rents. hope that helps u good luck.

lizard_lover
08-15-2007, 11:55 AM
transglobe almost always wants you to sign a one year lease too...and are very strict about so many things...I almost got an apartment with them once....

dan j
08-15-2007, 12:15 PM
children's days at festivals, family days for this and that, child tax credit, pregnant parking spots (a hot topic here i hear), children rates at restaurants and movies among other places, "family values" being used as the reason for a lot of ridiculous laws, maternity/paternity leave, and much more are some of the things breeders get that other people don't get.

i don't hate kids by any means but don't cry foul when things don't go your way b/c you CHOSE to have children. especially don't say that the world is against you b/c it clearly isn't. some people just don't want to deal with whiny, crappy, dirty, smelly, loud, annoying, bratty kids all the time. we don't have kids b/c we don't want them around us all the time.

---

4(1)No person directly or indirectly, alone or with another, by himself or by the interposition of another, shall
(a)deny to any person or class of persons the right to occupy any commercial unit or dwelling unit, or
(b)discriminate against any person or class of persons with respect to any term or condition of occupancy of any commercial unit or any dwelling unit,
because of race, colour, religion, national origin, ancestry, place of origin, age, physical disability, mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sex, social condition, political belief or activity.

---

NB Human Rights Code

You'd have a hard time convincing a court that being a parent is covered under this code.

TheCBCGuy
08-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Ouch... Everybody keep their heads down. It's about to get messy in here!!!!

trinity
08-15-2007, 12:59 PM
I often wonder what happens if you take an apartment as a childless person or couple, and then get pregnant- can they kick you out, if your lease does not specify maximum number of occupants? Just wondering.
I was about to wade in too but then I hauled in my horns, someone has to carry on the species and it thankfully won't be me or dan j. I'm sure Social Services is glad too. Please don't carry this thread away from the original plight, that of someone who can't find an apartment that meets their needs. I would think that landlords should look at the fact that people with children are slightly less likely to move on a whim, it involves so much more planning, school changes etc. I can pick up and leave in a week or less if I wanted to, and go anywhere from a bachelor apt to a house an hour away from the city, since I have a car. As to allowing children to jump up and down on the floor "if they want to", that would be considered bad behaviour in any circumstance, tenant, owner, private home or whatever. You don't have the right to wilfully disturb another resident, just because you feel like it, or let your kids do it. I can't fault the people who live upstairs from making noise on the stairs, it is what feet do and they have to climb the stairs to get to their apartment. They don't however have to slam doors, stomp, jump, run, dance, blast music or fight and curse and shriek in the yard and the porch, or peel tires NIGHTLY in front of the building, or any of the other things these idiots do. Put it in the lease if you as landlord are so inclined, you can stick it in under section 9, other notes-no running, no screaming, no ball throwing in the house, etc and enforce it. or charge people with small children a higher damage deposit, if you are so worried that children will rimrack the place.

sanstu
08-15-2007, 03:31 PM
First of all, a landlord has the right to rent to who ever he/she wants.(within the law) To equate a landlord specifing no children as being a form of racism is an insult. Shame...shame.

Just a suggestion, when looking for an apartment, look at ones that say "children welcome".

And finally Dan j., chill- lax my friend. What's up? Skipped your morning coffee or what?hehehe

love_my_baby_girl
08-15-2007, 03:44 PM
I like your opinion:) I think it would be rude to kik you out I would say if you moved into a building where it dont say NO KIDS ALLOWED they wouldnt be able to kik you out just because your pregnant that would be so rude!!! I would report the landlord to landlord tenant act!!! Just to be safe I'd ask before I move if kids are allowed to live in there that way you dont get kiked out :)

love_my_baby_girl
08-15-2007, 03:48 PM
by the way NOT ALL KIDS ARE whiny, crappy, dirty, smelly, loud, annoying, bratty...maybe in your opinion but I have a daughter myself ( 13 1/2 month's old) and she's not one of them whiny...baby...just saying my opinion no grudges against anyone :)...evryones alloud to there opinion :) just wanted to express mine...

The_Dave
08-15-2007, 04:34 PM
children's days at festivals, family days for this and that, child tax credit, pregnant parking spots (a hot topic here i hear), children rates at restaurants and movies among other places, "family values" being used as the reason for a lot of ridiculous laws, maternity/paternity leave, and much more are some of the things breeders get that other people don't get.

i don't hate kids by any means but don't cry foul when things don't go your way b/c you CHOSE to have children. especially don't say that the world is against you b/c it clearly isn't. some people just don't want to deal with whiny, crappy, dirty, smelly, loud, annoying, bratty kids all the time. we don't have kids b/c we don't want them around us all the time.

---

4(1)No person directly or indirectly, alone or with another, by himself or by the interposition of another, shall
(a)deny to any person or class of persons the right to occupy any commercial unit or dwelling unit, or
(b)discriminate against any person or class of persons with respect to any term or condition of occupancy of any commercial unit or any dwelling unit,
because of race, colour, religion, national origin, ancestry, place of origin, age, physical disability, mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sex, social condition, political belief or activity.

---

NB Human Rights Code

You'd have a hard time convincing a court that being a parent is covered under this code.

But discriminating against parents with children is covered.

MezMaRi
08-15-2007, 04:37 PM
I understand why it is certain people want to be in adult only buildings. Heck it makes sense!!!! For those of us who have experienced this type of discrimanation though its incredibly frustrating. FINALLY I found an apartment, uptown(not south end) that has all the trimmings of a nice executive apartment, that isnt absurdly priced, and that allows children. Its beautiful and I believe its a diamond in the rough. But they are out there. To those who have trouble...consider leaving the city like i have. There are a million opportunities for ourselves and our children elsewhere than saint john

The_Dave
08-15-2007, 04:39 PM
First of all, a landlord has the right to rent to who ever he/she wants.(within the law) To equate a landlord specifing no children as being a form of racism is an insult. Shame...shame.

Just a suggestion, when looking for an apartment, look at ones that say "children welcome".

And finally Dan j., chill- lax my friend. What's up? Skipped your morning coffee or what?hehehe

It is not racism, it is discrimination however.

sanstu
08-15-2007, 05:51 PM
My comment, The Dave, refering to racism was in response to a post that has since been removed. By definition, it is not discrimination. Further, the word "parent",would have to be added to the Human Rights Code, for it to be covered. It may seem unfair, but a landlord does have the right to be selective when it comes to renting a property.

love_my_baby_girl
08-15-2007, 06:17 PM
landlord does have the right to be selective when it comes to renting a property

I agree on that one but aslong you ask the landlor, he or she SHOULD tell you at first if they allow kids or not and not decide once you rented they wont allow kids...I see both point of you a place with and without kids just as long the landlord specify is all that matters isnt it :confused: ?!?

The_Dave
08-15-2007, 06:23 PM
My comment, The Dave, refering to racism was in response to a post that has since been removed. By definition, it is not discrimination. Further, the word "parent",would have to be added to the Human Rights Code, for it to be covered. It may seem unfair, but a landlord does have the right to be selective when it comes to renting a property.

But if he/she outright says that he/she will not rent to you because you have children and you prove that he/she said that, than it is discrimination. It has nothing to do with the parents, it has to do with the children. Again, discriminating because of age is a human rights issue, and is discriminatory. That being said, the parents with children are being discriminated against when they are refused apartments for this reason. Proving is another matter.

leeleemom
08-15-2007, 06:47 PM

---

---

NB Human Rights Code

Oh dan j: You hit a soar spot with me. This is not what my thread is about at all.First of all,maternity leave is not ridiculous! It is obvious that you don't have children and it is obvious that you are a man. Having children and raising them is very hard. Yes I chose to have children...3 infact and I would not change it for the world. It takes a lot of patience,energy and sacrifice. I very much believe that maternity leave is well needed and well deserved!!As for the child tax.....what is wrong with that? Do you think that because parents receive it that we are adding a huge chunk to our income? It doesn't even cover childcare costs. If you wish to call me a breeder so be it! I am proud to be a mother of 3 great boys and I am proud to be taking part in their lives and maybe it is nice to think that I am helping them be who they are. I am most certainly not crying foul. I just fell that it is discrimination towards my family. As I said before I do understand landlords having adult buildings.No body on here said they thought the world was against us because we have children. As for the comments about children you made...I will not repeat because that was just rude. I respect your opinion and if that is how you see children then it is good you don't have any. Perhaps though since you don't have any you should not assume they are like that. You are obviously not speaking from experience. And remember you were a child at one time too.

MezMaRi
08-15-2007, 06:51 PM
CHEERS! I was waiting for the time when someone else was gonna call him out for calling us breeders and claiming all kids are dirty, whiny, rude, rotten children.

leeleesmom he OBVIOUSLY has no idea that ADULTS are rude, dirty, whiny, and rotten and they are ADULTS and should have different behaiviour.

girdy
08-15-2007, 07:09 PM
Claiming a landlord who won't rent to families with children in violation of the Human Rights code I don't think is going to go anywhere. A landlord should have the right to rent to whoever he/she wants with the same conditions, or to leave the property empty. It would be a violation of the Human Rights code to say that the rent is $500 a month for straight people, $600 a month for gay people. It would also be a violation of the Human Rights code for the landlord to break a lease because he found out that the tenant was gay, but where all other conditions of the lease were in effect. But he/she should be able to decide whether or not to rent to gay people.

I use the gay example because it's an easier point to make. Similarly though, I think a landlord could make the decision not to rent to families with children. If the family did later have a child and the lease was broken because of that, I think that would be discrimination. I also think that if a landlord did not ask about children when you were being interviewed for the apartment, that they wouldn't be able to break the lease later because you currently have children. But if they wanted to use children as one of the decision points when deciding to rent to you in the first place, I think that's their right.

sanstu
08-15-2007, 07:29 PM
But if he/she outright says that he/she will not rent to you because you have children and you prove that he/she said that, than it is discrimination. It has nothing to do with the parents, it has to do with the children. Again, discriminating because of age is a human rights issue, and is discriminatory. That being said, the parents with children are being discriminated against when they are refused apartments for this reason. Proving is another matter.

It would be great if this issue was as simplistic as you have portrayed it. Unfortunately, the powers to be have allowed this to go on for a long time. I did some research and discovered that apartments can not be advertised as "adult only", "adult building","no children", ect and not only can the building owner be held liable but if published in a newspaper as such, the paper and publisher can be held liable as well.Todays paper had 2 ads published in this manner.Oops!

MezMaRi
08-15-2007, 07:34 PM
Very interesting post santsu. Wondering where you found this information and if you could PM me with the information. I was thinking about checking it out at the library. I hate getting information from the media and even the net sometimes.

girdy
08-15-2007, 07:44 PM
Very interesting post santsu. Wondering where you found this information and if you could PM me with the information. I was thinking about checking it out at the library. I hate getting information from the media and even the net sometimes.

Try

http://www.gnb.ca/hrc-cdp/e/Guideline-on-Housing-Discrimination.pdf

leeleemom
08-15-2007, 07:48 PM
Again I would like to say that I did not start this thread to cause problems or to get ppl fighting. There is an argument for both sides. I am just simply stating what I am personally going through and the way I have been treated thus far. I do believe it is discrimination. But not against me but against my children. I understand the reasoning behind why a landlord may not want children living in their building, i.e. noise,destruction etc. However who is to say that adults are not as bad or worse? I have heard of many ppl of all different ages destroying apartments as well as ones who have parties all hours of the night. How can you tell who will be a good tenant or not? You can't by assumptions and that is discrimination in my opinion!

MezMaRi
08-15-2007, 08:13 PM
took this from the website Girdy posted. Thought some of you might find it interesting.

Adult only housing violates the Code. Therefore the Commission will investigate complaintsabout advertisements that say “no children,” “adult building,” “adult community,”etc. The Commission will investigate complaints about advertisements that express, directly or indirectly, a preference for people without children including, but not limited to“adult lifestyle community,” “suitable for mature adults,” etc.

sarahnb
08-15-2007, 08:32 PM
I ran into the same difficulties when we were moving to the city from another province. No one would rent to us because we had two children. We finally found an apartmemnt in a non smoking building. Upstairs were partiers and downstairs was a chain smoker. Not in their apartment though. On the stairs outside my door.

I had called the rentalsman and Human Rights Commision. They both siad that while landlords are not supposed to deny a family an apartment, good luck in proving it or changing anything. By the time they got around to investigating, it wouldn't be of any help to me and would you really want to rent from that landlord in the end?

girdy
08-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Adult only housing violates the Code. Therefore the Commission will investigate complaintsabout advertisements that say “no children,” “adult building,” “adult community,”etc. The Commission will investigate complaints about advertisements that express, directly or indirectly, a preference for people without children including, but not limited to“adult lifestyle community,” “suitable for mature adults,” etc.

I agree - advertising indicating no children is age discrimination, and anyone stupid enough to be that blatant deserves what they get. In practical terms though, if a landlord has 20 possible tenants to choose from, surely they can't have 19 suits against them for discrimination when they could only choose 1 tenant. I suppose in the rare circumstance that they refused to rent to the only person who applied, there may be a case. But can the government in a practical sense really step in and force a private land owner to fill a vacancy in their property?

dan j
08-15-2007, 08:51 PM
wow, thanks santsu. i guess the law has gone above and beyond and tied up any loose ends on the human rights code.

the families win again! us DINKS will never get anywhere. i guess we'll have to cry over our disposable incomes.

MezMaRi
08-15-2007, 09:28 PM
dan without restarting an arguement. I do not understand where it is your trying to "get". Aren't we all equal. Do we not all put our pants on the same way in the morning???? I am soooo confused as to why you wanna make more negative energys in this country by seperating yourself from us. Segregation is a nasty little thing.

I respect your not wanting children. I HIGHLY respect the fact that you KNOW you do not want kids and have so choosen not to repopulate the earth irresponsibly, as so many do!!!!!!!!!

Its just soooo frustrating to watch someone like yourself who clearly is a smart guy, brand us into categorys instead of just being canadians- Alike and different!!!!!!!!

Diversity is a wonderful thing!

dan j
08-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Diversity is a great thing.

Clearly I started into this thread arguing about something that turned out to be not true. Renters are protected by their family status. It's good to know this and I'll now pass this information along to anyone that will listen to me.

However, without wanting to restart the argument either I believe that people who make children have a lot given to them by the rest of society. Personally, I believe that all of these programs are good things. I'm all for smart social programs and as a society we're getting better at aiming our social programs in the right areas; although we have room to improve and I'm sure we will.

I just think that some of your comments you made earlier about DINKs and that sort of thing started this thread down the direction of "segregation". You felt that us DINKs were in control because of our money and I had to stick up for us DINKs and counter that with mentioning the large amount of programs that are out there for parents and children that all of us pay into.

Parents sometimes get feelings of entitlement for the benefits that they get in a somewhat socialist country like ours. I think instead of feeling like you are owed anything because you make children that you should feel gratitude that we live in a society that accommodates your life choices.

Anything I said was only balancing the one-sided nature of this thread. I hope this clears a few things up and I'd hate to get into the situation we were in this afternoon all over again because of what I just said.

MezMaRi
08-15-2007, 10:12 PM
Perfect. Thats all I ever wanted to hear from you. Thank you :) ...much appreciated. Although you took the DINKS thing out of context i see why you were upset but I guess I see it a bit differently and I feel owed because of the steadily declining birth rate and the extremely high rate of immigration etc. yes it is great but as canadians if we dont have children who is gonna run this world when yours/our generation passes on????

end rant

dan j
08-15-2007, 10:24 PM
I'm really not too worried who will carry on. We have enough people in the World to do anything needed. I'm more concerned about their being a decent natural World when that time comes than who will be there to run it.

leeleemom
08-16-2007, 07:17 AM
"Renters are protected by their family status."

I am not sure what you mean by this??? This thread started out by me telling my story of what negative things are happening to my family because I have children. I am finding out that I am not the only one this is happening to. So I don't understand how my "family status" protects us as renters??

dan j
08-16-2007, 07:47 AM
See the link Santsu posted. By the law, you're protected. How well this protection works is just a matter of the application of the law.

sanstu
08-16-2007, 08:03 AM
See the link Santsu posted. By the law, you're protected. How well this protection works is just a matter of the application of the law.
You are absolutely correct as a complaint such as this would certainly be open to interpretation, intent and then take possibly years winding its way through court. IMO.

It's nice to see that someone has the integrity to admit to having made a mistake. Kudos, Dan j.

leeleemom
08-16-2007, 09:02 AM

I did see it but enforcement is another story. And I believe it was mentioned before that it would be very hard to prove as would any discrimination.

dan j
08-16-2007, 09:45 AM
The best thing to do is just tell everyone you know about discriminatory landlords.

dan j
08-16-2007, 09:53 AM
also, santsu, that was some good sleuthing on your part. i looked around gnb.ca for quite awhile trying to find stuff on this and couldn't find what you found.

girdy
08-16-2007, 10:51 AM
also, santsu, that was some good sleuthing on your part. i looked around gnb.ca for quite awhile trying to find stuff on this and couldn't find what you found.

You could have followed the link I posted earlier in the thread - found it through a Google search for "new brunswick adult only rental housing", first item listed.

dan j
08-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Ah, nice work to you too!

lizard_lover
08-16-2007, 11:31 AM
so glad to see the posts are getting shorter, no more looong rants. I can honestly see if someone was renting a room in their own home, or renting their basement or such deciding they want it quiet, especially if they are senior citizens. Heck, when I turn 80, if I have an extra room in my house, I wouldn't want it to be someone with 50 kids honestly...but you know what I mean. Most of the time the landlords do not even live in the building. But to be renting apartments as a whole, you should not be able to decide who can and cannot live there.

lizard_lover
08-16-2007, 11:31 AM
p.s.- good to know (for now anyways) you will be living up the street from me leeleemom.

leeleemom
08-16-2007, 03:46 PM
The best thing to do is just tell everyone you know about discriminatory landlords.

Oh trust me I have been. I know some of us got a little heated on here. And I totally see that there are 2 sides to every story. I just wanted to tell mine. In my eyes we are the kind of tenants that a landlord would want. Just a family looking for a nice,clean,safe home for our children. Really is that simple.

dan j
08-16-2007, 05:44 PM
Good for you guys. I'm sure you'd be great to rent to as well as some of the other parents on here. I can't believe that landlords are breaking the law on a daily basis. I can understand that some of us wouldn't know the law until it was pointed out to us but landlords should know as it is their business that they're responsible for. It'd be like a bar owner breaking liquor laws. They could plead ignorance but it is up to them to make sure they're following the rules not to patrons to point out that they're breaking them.

The_Dave
08-16-2007, 10:35 PM
It would be great if this issue was as simplistic as you have portrayed it. Unfortunately, the powers to be have allowed this to go on for a long time. I did some research and discovered that apartments can not be advertised as "adult only", "adult building","no children", ect and not only can the building owner be held liable but if published in a newspaper as such, the paper and publisher can be held liable as well.Todays paper had 2 ads published in this manner.Oops!

Nothing is simplistic when it comes to politics.

leeleemom
08-17-2007, 08:12 AM
Good for you guys. I'm sure you'd be great to rent to as well as some of the other parents on here. I can't believe that landlords are breaking the law on a daily basis. I can understand that some of us wouldn't know the law until it was pointed out to us but landlords should know as it is their business that they're responsible for. It'd be like a bar owner breaking liquor laws. They could plead ignorance but it is up to them to make sure they're following the rules not to patrons to point out that they're breaking them.

You know they know the law. But I have never heard of anyone actually doing something about it. I mean I have heard of disputes and the rentalsmen has to be involved but just the normal stuff. Never anything about these kind of laws. However, most ppl don't know them and the rentalsmen isn't telling anyone that I am aware of. Not me that is for sure....easier to blow it off, I guess.

dan j
08-17-2007, 09:15 AM
Well, everyone in this thread now knows and will be telling other people about it. I guess that is the silver lining about the whole thing.