PDA

View Full Version : Prices?

kaj27
07-31-2007, 09:51 AM
Can someone explain to me why people are selling their USED notebooks/laptops for $300-$400. They are about 5-7 years old.

I went out to look for some new ones the other day and found more than 4 laptops BRAND NEW and MUCH faster for $400-$600.

Why are people charging so much for their used laptops?

jiggypat23
07-31-2007, 02:42 PM
yeah really, whats up with that?

Nail
07-31-2007, 03:33 PM
They do it because they spent $2600 on something that is completely obsolete now. They want their money back..hehe

kaj27
07-31-2007, 04:02 PM
They do it because they spent $2600 on something that is completely obsolete now. They want their money back..hehe

haha that's true!

The_Dave
07-31-2007, 05:05 PM
It is their choice to sell their items for whatever they want to ask for them. Whether they get it or not is another story. Lets be realistic, if it is obsolete, then you may as well give it away or donate it to a charitable organization.

But kaj27, that is a good point you make.

paak
08-01-2007, 02:01 PM
For one thing, they just don't make them like they used to...

Yes new ones can "seem" better, but how long do you expect, for example, a 500.00 ACER to last? I would honestly doubt anywhere near 5-7 years :)

Also, all NEW ones now come with Vista...ewww...alot(and yes I mean ALOT) of people DO NOT want Vista.

And you do have to take into account that, even though a laptop is a few years old, it STILL does everything that MOST people want to do with a laptop. This fact alone helps the laptop to hold its value.

Just because a laptop is a few years old, doesn't make it obsolete - what makes it obsolete is when it cannot perform the required tasks adequately. Bear in mind, laptops are not(nor were EVER meant) to compete with or replace desktop computers...they are meant for portability.

Honestly, I have seen a great many older laptops run much better and more reliably than "equivalently priced" new ones.

kaj27
08-01-2007, 02:10 PM
For one thing, they just don't make them like they used to...

Yes new ones can "seem" better, but how long do you expect, for example, a 500.00 ACER to last? I would honestly doubt anywhere near 5-7 years :)

Wanna put some money on that? My mother still has hers going fine.

And they do make them like they use to, actually. Better. With latest batteries and hardware newer $400-$500 laptops out shine any older laptop by a long shot.

Claiming that Acer is a bargain bin manufacturer is just nonsense. Especially considering they are one of the world leaders in PC manufacturing. I have been using Acer PCs for years now. ZERO problems.

So I ask again. Why do people over charge $350 for a 750Mhz laptop when I can get a dual core, 100gb HD 1.0gb ram computer for $100 more.

paak
08-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Claiming that Acer is a bargain bin manufacturer is just nonsense. Especially considering they are one of the world leaders in PC manufacturing.

Ok, thats your opinion. Thats fine. What would you consider "bargain bin" then?

Personally, I don't see the logic in saying that a company that makes the cheapest priced laptops on the market is the "top manufacturer" of them. Sure they may sell more, simply because they are 'affordable', but saying they are the best AND the cheapest priced is just silly - thats not how capitalism works...Acer is a company like every other one in existence - they are out to make a profit - highly, highly doubtful they will sacrafice their profits for quality lol(considering their profits rose by something like 37% last year)

I'm NOT saying that they are bad. They should work just fine for most people. What I AM saying is that the QUALITY of the components in almost all computers are not quite as good as they used to be. You must take into consideration the fact that NEW parts are mass produced faster, cheaper and in far great quantities making them more susceptible to problems. Just as an example, lets consider hard drives - there is a vastly increased failure rate over those produced, say, 5 years ago. This is the same with ALL computer components. I have a 2gb hdd that still runs perfect nearly 10 years later...how many hdds produced today will still be running 10 years from now? I would definately stake money on it being a very low percentage, if any.

paak
08-01-2007, 03:42 PM
BY the way...where are you getting a laptop with 100gb hdd, 1gb ram dual core for 450????

Cheapest I see is an ACER with 512mb, 80gb,14.1" and Vista - 499.99 +14%tax --->569.99

(I had on of those for a day...ran very very slow - basically because of Vista...once I gutted out Vista and put on XP...it ran ok, but it was a pain to get all the drivers for it)

kaj27
08-01-2007, 04:33 PM
BY the way...where are you getting a laptop with 100gb hdd, 1gb ram dual core for 450????

Cheapest I see is an ACER with 512mb, 80gb,14.1" and Vista - 499.99 +14%tax --->569.99

(I had on of those for a day...ran very very slow - basically because of Vista...once I gutted out Vista and put on XP...it ran ok, but it was a pain to get all the drivers for it)

Now if I told you where I saw it. That wouldn't be a smart shopper would it?

Nail
08-01-2007, 05:16 PM
The new laptops' prices arent lower because of quality. They are lower because of competition, timing and demand ...

paak
08-01-2007, 05:37 PM
...and its cheaper to [mass]produce nowadays...and the more thats produced the harder it is to control quality. And strange how "competition, timing and demand" can still INCREASE their profit margin...

Now if I told you where I saw it. That wouldn't be a smart shopper would it?

So its not "widely" available to consumers...so that price would be a bit of an anomaly and really not something you could "price compare" with....Anyone can pull a number out of their butt and say "oh I can't tell you where though"...

I should say that I do agree a 750MHz laptop for 350 is waaaay overpriced...around 150-200 would be a bit more accurate for that. Unless a laptop is abnormally well spec'd(like, for example, an alienware gaming laptop), prices for used ones shouldn't exceed 5 bills for anything.

kaj27
08-03-2007, 09:29 AM
So its not "widely" available to consumers...so that price would be a bit of an anomaly and really not something you could "price compare" with....Anyone can pull a number out of their butt and say "oh I can't tell you where though"...

Who said it isn't widely available? I never did. I said I went out and looked. So clearly they are around town.

All you have to do is look.