PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info. on Holly Trees

sanstu
07-30-2007, 09:13 PM
First off, I do not have a green thumb, however I can grow plants in my garden. My problem is : I purchased 2 holly trees at a garden center at one of the grocery stores. The sales person told me they would only grow to 3 ft., however when I got home and was able to find the tag on the plant I discovered that the ones I bought grow to 15ft. in height and 10' in width. They are also female plants, in order to have holly berries I need a male tree.(go figure!) Can I use just one male tree or do I need 2 males? Also, do I plant them together or do I space them out? Thanks

CM
07-31-2007, 09:35 AM
I found this on the internet.
All holly trees and shrubs are dioecious; landscapers need to plant a male plant within 30'- 40' of females in order for the latter to yield berries. Hollies prefer to grow in acidic soils, which is why in nature they do so well in oak forests (the "Oak King" and "Holly King," discussed on the prior page, have more in common than just their eternal war with one another!). Holly trees and shrubs, depending on the variety, can be grown in zones 3-11. Check with a local nursery for the cultivar(s) suited to your area.
Here is the link to the page that I got it from, and at the bottom of the page there are other links to related information in the article.

rogerson
11-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Expect a max of 6' mature height on a holly in this zone. One male can pollinate multiple females. Control height by taking cuttings this time of year for Christmas arrangements.