PDA

View Full Version : Printer Repair?????

CRD73
07-30-2007, 06:16 AM
Does anyone know where I can take my printer to be repaired? I already tried PC Rescue and they don't do it. I think all it needs is a print head cleaning.

The model is Brother MFC-240C.

PCRescue
08-02-2007, 11:37 PM
Greetings,

It was not a matter that we don't do it. We do. However, consumer grade products are not designed to be serviceable as higher end printers. They're designed to be disposable.

We were trying to save you some time and money by pointing you to Island Inkjet as printers are their bread and butter. Honestly, we do not know if they fix printers in this regard, but we figured it would be a good place to start.

Fact of the matter is, it's an expensive venture for any shop.

Disassemble your printer to get to the print head, soaking it in solvents to remove dry ink (and depending on how clogged it was, we've had this take days, even forcing solvents through the print head), re-assembling, testing and likely still putting the print head through more "self cleaning cycles".

Once it's all said and done - 2 hours of shop time minimum.

By that time, you could have bought a new printer (or close to it).

If you still wish this to be done, we are more than willing to do it for you.

Warmest Regards,
PC Rescue

coffeegal
08-03-2007, 08:08 AM
My advice..... Wait until you see a new one on sale, my experience is it is cheaper to buy a new one, then to try and get one repaired. Just my experience, good luck!

The_Dave
08-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Greetings,

It was not a matter that we don't do it. We do. However, consumer grade products are not designed to be serviceable as higher end printers. They're designed to be disposable.

We were trying to save you some time and money by pointing you to Island Inkjet as printers are their bread and butter. Honestly, we do not know if they fix printers in this regard, but we figured it would be a good place to start.

Fact of the matter is, it's an expensive venture for any shop.

Disassemble your printer to get to the print head, soaking it in solvents to remove dry ink (and depending on how clogged it was, we've had this take days, even forcing solvents through the print head), re-assembling, testing and likely still putting the print head through more "self cleaning cycles".

Once it's all said and done - 2 hours of shop time minimum.

By that time, you could have bought a new printer (or close to it).

If you still wish this to be done, we are more than willing to do it for you.

Warmest Regards,
PC Rescue

They are disposable like razor blades. Its cheaper to buy a new one than to get it repaired. Almost everyone knows this.

I commend PC Rescue for not BSing you and costing you lots of money for nothing.

PS I am in no way affilliated with PC Rescue, I read the post and thought they did the right thing for the customer. More businesses should be like that.

sarahnb
08-03-2007, 06:05 PM
And when you go printer shopping, look at the price of replacement ink first and then the price of the printer. A cheap printer, usually has expensive ink.

The_Dave
08-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Just like razor blades, very expensive, cheap handle.

chaisson9088
08-07-2007, 06:49 PM
superstore on rosthey ave hade a good sale on lexmar1250 3in1 printer,copier,scaner fo 34.97 and only takes 1 ink , and replacement cost is 25

Kodiak74
08-11-2007, 07:47 AM
I agree with chaisson9088 that the ink cartridge is only 25$ BUT it is NOT a full cartridge. It is half if not less than the high yield cartridge witch explains the low cost of the cartridge.

Think about what do you do with a printer, what do you print. I'd say about 90% of the time you only need to print in black. Black laser printers are getting pretty cheap now. You can get one for about 100$ The toner will last you for about 1000 pages, still depending on the toner cartridge. You can get and all in one for a bit more but well worth the investments

If you are going with a color printer get one with separate cartridges for each ink color. It's the way to go. You only need to replace the color that's empty.

If you are printing photos, people think it's cheaper to do it yourself in fact you pay up to 5 times more for a 4X6 picture when you do it yourself. For ex, 25$ for 1 cartridge, you can print only about 24 pictures at the most if you are lucky. 1 4X6 picture would cost you about 1.04$ compared to when you bring your picture to a do it yourself that cost about 0.30$ each.