PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here a Big Brother or Big Sister?

puppyluv
01-03-2007, 07:58 AM
from the organization I mean.
I have been thinking about this for a long time and think I am finally ready to be a Big Sister.

Any advice, inforamtion, experiences etc would be very much welcomed!

jdcb
01-03-2007, 08:06 AM
i've been thinking about doing it recently too...

growing up my mom tried to get me and my lil bro into the program, we never got a match...

puppyluv
01-03-2007, 08:20 AM
i've been thinking about doing it recently too...

growing up my mom tried to get me and my lil bro into the program, we never got a match...

that is sad no match...there are so many children that need homes, friends, guidance etc.

I would consider adopting an older child as well...everyone seems to want babies..and you see older children * 4 and up) growing up in a system:(

jdcb
01-03-2007, 08:25 AM
I know, I'd adopt older kids too... and if I'm ever able, I plan to, once we have our own and are settled into a place...

Vix
01-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Hey guys, Where can I go to get my daughter a Big sister??? Where we live now, the kids look at her as an outsider and don't want to play with her because we just moved here last feb. I love my angel but I can only spend so much time with her and she really needs a friend. Any information would greatly be appreciated, thanks.

Vix

user5624
01-05-2007, 12:25 PM
I believe the child's parents have to be divorced or seperated for the child to qualify for that program. Well they used to anyways, is it still the same?

sugadip
01-05-2007, 12:42 PM
I worked as a day camp counsellor there a few years ago and I loved it. So many kids are in need of a Big Brother or Big Sister. I think it's a great program to have and encourage any one interested to atleast gather information.

http://www.bigbrothersbigsisters.ca/saintjohn/en/Home/default.aspx

daneast
01-05-2007, 01:45 PM
great idea..now my daughters are pretty well grown ( 18 and 19), this may be the perfect time to be big brother.

Lovinmy2girls
01-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Hey puppyluv! I used to be a "big sister" before I had my own kids. It was alot of fun and very rewarding. You can pick what age child you'd like to help. Normally you would get together for a few hours a week. Go for lunch, movie, do crafts, etc. Lots of fun. My "little sister" moved away, so sadly I haven't seen her since. I know how great you are with kids (at least mine!), so you'd be a perfect "big sister'. Hope it all works out.

M.

djchopper6969
01-10-2007, 04:55 PM
I hope all of you who say you want to do get to go and do it. I don't know a lot about it but I think my nephew needs a big brother. He is the only MAN in our family except my BF and with his own 2 kids my BF just doesn't have the time. His dad is not around (long story) and he needs a male influence to teach him guy stuff like hockey and baseball and stuff like that. I'm going to have my sister look into for him :)

puppyluv
01-11-2007, 06:38 AM
djchopper,
I have to get over my Mom 1st, but I WILL be a Big Sister...of that I can promise.:)

I hope all of you who say you want to do get to go and do it. I don't know a lot about it but I think my nephew needs a big brother. He is the only MAN in our family except my BF and with his own 2 kids my BF just doesn't have the time. His dad is not around (long story) and he needs a male influence to teach him guy stuff like hockey and baseball and stuff like that. I'm going to have my sister look into for him :)

adm
01-14-2007, 01:50 PM
Working with the Big Brother's Big Sisters will go a long way towards helping cope withthe tragic loss of your Mother. While nothing can ever replace a loved one, think of all of the good you will be doing for children who may not understand the closeness of a family as you have. You can speak with someone at the Saint John Volunteer Center (open M-F from 10am - 3pm, located across from St. Joseph's hospital), and they will help you register. It will probably take a couple of weeks for them to contact you. I can't relate to losing a parent, the closest I can come is being recently legally separated from my husband. I spent the past few months hiding in my basement licking my wounds and not really getting better, so I decided to do something. I just recently registered with the volunteer center as well. I have worked with Big Brothers / Big Sisters through the Kids-n-Kops program and the benefit is immeasurable.

Good luck to you, puppyluv. I hope you register sooner rather than later. It will do you and your 'little sister' a world of good.

A