PDA

View Full Version : Ooo makes me so mad!

RobinHood
07-24-2007, 11:15 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=470335&in_page_id=1770

I've seen one or two complaints about social issues in Saint John - but I bet no-one would get away with that level of "sponging off the state" in NB.

Grrrrr!

lizard_lover
07-24-2007, 11:42 AM
Have you ever read the book "Angels'a Ashes"? It reminds me of that...that is so wrong...Hey, I wonder, if I popped out 12 kids, do you think the government would stick me in a 500,000$ home? Pfft i highly doubt it...grr...that does make no sense, kind of angering.

The_Dave
07-24-2007, 11:44 AM
Robinhood, it happens here all the time. Whether it is 12 children or 1.

ASortaSweetart
07-24-2007, 12:32 PM
The_Dave I was thinking about having a child, but first I thought I would check with you to see if you can afford it?

6sixstring6
07-24-2007, 12:48 PM
The_Dave I was thinking about having a child, but first I thought I would check with you to see if you can afford it?

Never mind checking with him, ask yourself if you can afford it, if so, go for it.
Just don't be on here whining about social programs or the lack of them.

Misty589
07-24-2007, 01:05 PM
LOL

ASortaSweetart
07-24-2007, 01:27 PM
Never mind checking with him, ask yourself if you can afford it, if so, go for it.
Just don't be on here whining about social programs or the lack of them.
You're assuming I have any common sense!:rolleyes:

The_Dave
07-24-2007, 01:30 PM
ASortaSweetart, If you are planning to have children, I wish you all the best. If you are planning on using the system, no I cannot afford it. Thanks for asking though.

PS David is a great name for a boy.

mommyd
07-24-2007, 01:31 PM
first, they shouldn't have had so many kids. I don't care what anyone says, if you can't afford to have several children, don't. I mean after having TWO sets of twins you'd think they'd stop!
And
They don't work? So they are both home to care for their children, and clean up stuff (like stuff kids shouldn't be getting into) Their house burned down cuz one of their kids was playing with a lighter!!!!!!!!! HELLO! They seem like some sort of dead beats to me.

oh and who could forget how they named one of their kids C/Kalifornya (not sure which way it's spelt cuz the article uses both a c and a k at different spots in the article)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=470335&in_page_id=1770

I've seen one or two complaints about social issues in Saint John - but I bet no-one would get away with that level of "sponging off the state" in NB.

Grrrrr!

ASortaSweetart
07-24-2007, 01:34 PM
first, they shouldn't have had so many kids. I don't care what anyone says, if you can't afford to have several children, don't. I mean after having TWO sets of twins you'd think they'd stop!
I totally agree.
I was just being silly in my other posts. It helps when I am having a bad day.:)

The_Dave
07-24-2007, 01:50 PM
Yep, he should have been snipped or perhaps she should have had her tubes tied.

smart
07-24-2007, 03:40 PM
Robinhood, it happens here all the time. Whether it is 12 children or 1.

The above is one of the craziest things you've written on here.

Yes, we have social programs, but they're NOWHERE near that bad.

Can you point out anyone on welfare who has received a million dollar home? And $100,000 per year in assistance?

No, didn't think so. You like to rant about your taxes a lot, but a little reality is good now and then :) It does a disservice to legitimate beefs with the system when you exaggerate by saying something like the above happens here *all the time*, when in fact it never has been *that* bad.

smart
07-24-2007, 03:43 PM

Grrrrr!

Yes, Canada's social assistance system has its faults, but wow - I never would have imagined there could be such bad cases in the UK :eek:

friskeywhiskey
07-24-2007, 04:43 PM
Wow ,this has to be the craziest / most unbelievable story I have ever heard. However, I am sure it most likely is true.
Maybe I should move to the UK and have several children LOL
Apparently, I will live better there I do now with my husband and I both working and supporting 1 child.

RobinHood
07-24-2007, 06:21 PM
Wow ,this has to be the craziest / most unbelievable story I have ever heard. However, I am sure it most likely is true.
Maybe I should move to the UK and have several children LOL
Apparently, I will live better there I do now with my husband and I both working and supporting 1 child.

Sadly this story is true :(

I have a half cousin - similar age to me. We even look alike - same height, same red hair - we are both told by older members of the family we are "spitting images" of our mutual great-grandfather. He has 4 kids to 2 different women and has never done a day's work since he left school at 15 (nearly 20 years ago). Me and my wife struggle month-to-month to feed and clothe our 2 kids - quite literally all my wage is gone at the end of each month.

Half-cuz lives in a 3 bedroom semi-detached house (rent paid by the state) a couple of miles from my house (similar size - paid for by me). He spends his days collecting his benefits, doing odd jobs "on the side" and swilling ale in the local pub. That said - he's a nice enough lad at family get-togethers but I can't help thinking when great-grandad stepped out of that trench onto the Somme - he was dodging bullets so his future great grandchildren had a little more pride than that.

In my opinion one of the modern ailments of 21st Century living in Western countries is the complete lack of shame shown by a lot of people from the post-war generations - especially since the 1960s. The UK is, unfortunately, 30 years "ahead" of Maritime Canada in terms of this behavour. I will miss most members of my family when I move - but I don't want to bring my kids up in England anymore. The temptation for them to do nothing is too great.

lizard_lover
07-24-2007, 06:36 PM
I understand totally...I think it is sick that people can do that...it almost gives me the temptation to move there, have 12 kids (OUCH!!!) and get a nice huge house! and get more a year in social help or whatever than i make in 3 years working full time here! That is gross. Robinhood, I do not blame you one bit for wanting your kids not to grow up in that temptation. I think that everyone should work for what they get. The harder you work, the more you get...I mean, I make 10.30$ an hour, sitting on my butt for 9 hours a day...versus people who work in wendy's or whatever and work their tushies off to make minimum wage...I just do not understand the way things go nowadays

The_Dave
07-24-2007, 07:10 PM

Can you point out anyone on welfare who has received a million dollar home? And $100,000 per year in assistance?

No, didn't think so. You like to rant about your taxes a lot, but a little reality is good now and then :) It does a disservice to legitimate beefs with the system when you exaggerate by saying something like the above happens here *all the time*, when in fact it never has been *that* bad.

You are right, I was referring to how easy it is to play the system here. It might not be on this grand of scale, but it is still ripping off the system none the less. And it does happen all the time.

mizunderstood
07-24-2007, 07:15 PM
Man I am looking into flights now to the UK and going to get citizen ship! lol and spit out anohter 10 kids! Oh wait, I can't I have more pride in myself! That and hubby is tied! lol.. Seriously, when they got married she already had a bunch of kids, they both worked, then she starts popping out kids so they dont have to work! WTH? It does get bad here in New Brunswick, but I know for sure we would never see someone on IA get a 500,000 home. There would be riots in the street! I wonder how that family actually feels knowing that the world knows they are bums. What do the kids go through when all the neighbourhood kids tease them about being a spponge?? How awful for the children, I feel for them. My god, 2 kids today is more than enough, but 12!? COME ON! And her comment "I was born to have children, it's what I am here for." That set womens rights back about 100 years! WOW!

trinity
07-25-2007, 07:52 AM
They want to take care that their children don't grow up ashamed of their background, leave home and never return or keep contact, I know I would be embarrassed to tell people I grew up on wellie, over in the projects.
The problem here is not that they have that many kids, it is that the system is equally flawed as ours, a man or woman with 12 children can't afford to lose $800 a month support to make $300. They should deduct dollar for dollar if the person really wants to work, at least that way it is $300 less a month the "council" has to shell out.

richunclepennywise
07-26-2007, 06:01 AM
300 British pounds = 645.851816 Canadian dollars

care1978
07-27-2007, 03:38 PM

i know someone who is in housing and they rent a 5 bedroom house for $174 a month! plus their utilities..... must be nice! wish i were that lucky as im sure all of you wish too :)