PDA

View Full Version : Is Saint John a bike friendly city or not?

TheCBCGuy
07-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Ok, so what do you think? I bike back and forth to work every day and I'm tellin ya that Saint John isn't exactly the easiest city to navigate on a bicycle. I don't think it's possible to go ANYWHERE without having to climb a huge hill. I can usually hack it, but I see a lot of people pushing their bikes up the really steep ones.
The harbour passage is nice, but it's too short. And it needs to be shared with pedestrians that tend to walk all over the path instead of staying to their side of the trail. Why is it that people tend to weave all over the place when they walk?
And traffic. Ugh. I don't know what it is about drivers in this city, but they aren't very bike friendly. I had one guy have a total fit at me the other day because I was biking on the road. The fact is that I have just as much right being there as any car. I try to stay to the side, but sometimes when dealing with parked cars and delivery trucks you've gotta move more towards the middle.
Anyway, let me know what you think people. How does Saint John rate when it comes to bicycle friendliness?

stripekv
07-23-2007, 04:46 PM
I know that in Moncton, on some streets, they have bicycle lanes marked off on the road.

kaj27
07-23-2007, 04:59 PM
When I'm driving and someone is riding a bike, Ill move. But if traffic is coming at me and someone is on a bike.....Get out of the way. My car doesn't stop on a dime nor am I going to turn into traffic. A bike can move a lot easier. I know....I ride of and practice what I preach.

richunclepennywise
07-23-2007, 06:27 PM
Seattle is the most bike friendly city I've ever ridden in.

Misty589
07-23-2007, 09:50 PM
I don't think it is. I hate bikes on the road, not because i don't think they should be there, but because our roads just aren't really suited to it, it makes me nervous driving when there are people riding bikes.
100% NOT the fault of the riders, but still a pita

dan j
07-23-2007, 11:06 PM
kaj27 and misty589, a biker doesn't need as much room as you think. you don't need to be in the oncoming traffic's lane to give a cyclist the room he or she needs to travel. when i'm biking or when i'm driving i see cars trailing a biker not knowing what to do or completely moving into the other lane. you're only stressing yourself by doing this. never honk, even if you think you're doing the biker a favour by letting him or her know you're there. we're biking on the road, we assume a car will pass us at any given time and we can also hear you.

SJ isn't bike friendly. you two are good examples of why it isn't. other examples are douchebags with pimped out cars trying to intimidate everyone on the road; even the guy with a 15 lb bike going 20 km/h. these people need to get off the road. they're useless scum. other people who are pretty much ruining the roads are people of all ages who think it is fun to yell at bikers as they're driving by. what the wtf?

harbour passage is unbikeable and i gave up on it long ago. i even had an article written in the paper about the issue of walkers using the bike lanes and even when i used my bike bell would act like i was in THEIR way when the lanes are clearly marked.

some bikers also contribute to SJ being bad for bikers. they bike on the sidewalks, cut off walkers on their turf, bike with no helmets, bike on the wrong side of the road, and all kinds of other wrong activities.

so, answer is. no, it isn't friendly.

ASortaSweetart
07-24-2007, 12:36 PM
We need more Hardcore bicycle gangs in the city. Show them you mean business by bicycling in leather chaps!

grr.

Or maybe an emo bicycle gang- although I would suggest not biking at night since the all black clothing could become hazardous. Plus it's hard to see in the dark with your hair in your face and all the crying would cause your eyeliner to run into your eyes and blur your vision....
:rofl:

dan j
07-24-2007, 12:49 PM
Good cross-thread references.

TheCBCGuy
07-25-2007, 10:47 AM
ASortaSweetheart--> Don't forget that chain oil could also be very good for dark eye shadow... Biking is very EMO friendly!!!

I don't see how Saint John could improve the conditions for bikers though. The streets are the streets. It's not like they're going to tear them all up and start over.
The only thing we CAN try to improve is the way we all react and treat to bikers as we drive around town.
Like the song says, "All we need is just a little patience..."
And coming from the opposite angle, bikers need to be more aware of how their actions can make car drivers nervous and slow down traffic.
And ONE MORE THING... if you're walking on Harbour Passage please try to keep to your side of the path. I've come across so many people who insist on walking the cranberry trail as a human chain with four of their friends. It's impossible to pass on either side because of all the grass and bushes. And while I'm at it, try to walk in a straight line instead of staggering from one side of the trail to the other like a stumbling drunk.

kaj27
07-31-2007, 10:01 AM
SJ isn't bike friendly. you two are good examples of why it isn't.

You make this claim and have to fact to back it up. I simply stated that bikers need to get out of the way when cars are coming. It's physics. A bike moves easier and stops quicker than a car.

SO MOVE.

dan j
07-31-2007, 10:42 AM
I "have to fact to back it up"? I don't know how to fact. Is fact even a verb? Fact...hmmm, I dunno. I'll think about learning how to fact and get back to you.

Aside from that, where do you expect bikers to move to when you're coming along? Do you have trouble controlling your vehicle? Do you have the shakes? Narcolepsy? These are the only reasons I can see why a biker would have to move from their designated place on the far right of the road in order to make room for a car coming up behind them. There is plenty of room.

kaj27
07-31-2007, 11:03 AM
I "have to fact to back it up"? I don't know how to fact. Is fact even a verb? Fact...hmmm, I dunno. I'll think about learning how to fact and get back to you.

Aside from that, where do you expect bikers to move to when you're coming along? Do you have trouble controlling your vehicle? Do you have the shakes? Narcolepsy? These are the only reasons I can see why a biker would have to move from their designated place on the far right of the road in order to make room for a car coming up behind them. There is plenty of room.

I'm not afraid to share, But it's common sense to get out of the way. Especially when you are riding a bike. A 1200kg machine wins buddy.

dan j
07-31-2007, 11:48 AM
Might does not equal right.

If I'm not in the way, why do I have to move?

I think you're really missing the point here and acting like a child. The road is legally accessible to both cars and bikes. Learn and understand this. You are legally bound to share the road. If you can not do this, you should have the privilege of driving taken away from you. It'll be fun to see you in court for vehicle manslaughter. Better yet, since you have admitted that you want to hit a biker with your 1200 kg vehicle you may get a nicer stay in the clink.

kaj27
07-31-2007, 12:12 PM
You're stuck on one side of the fence. You say I don't share the road when I clearly said I do.

I ride myself and I MOVE when cars are coming, mostly because I like to live.

You may THINK there is room but when a city transit bus is coming towards me and I am passing a person on a bike. They should be moving.

Great job on the jail scare. What am I...12?

jeeper
07-31-2007, 12:33 PM
Why would you be passing a bike if there was bus coming??? Bikes can bike in the middle of the road if they please its the law. Same thing if a slow moving car was in front of you ... you can only pass them when it is safe and legal to do so according to the laws of NB.

dan j
07-31-2007, 12:36 PM
Why would you be passing a bike if there was bus coming??? Bikes can bike in the middle of the road if they please its the law. Same thing if a slow moving car was in front of you ... you can only pass them when it is safe and legal to do so according to the laws of NB.

Thank you.

And yes, I will treat you like a child when you act like a child and say things like you are right because you are bigger. That is what kids on the playground do.

trinity
07-31-2007, 01:00 PM
If I were riding a bike on a two lane street, and saw a big truck approaching and hear traffic approaching me from behind, I'm going to either stop or get my butt up on the sidewalk where I won't get flattened. I'd rather be 5 minutes late for work than never get there. Some people are afraid to pass a bike too closely in case the air friction sucks them in, also with the state of the streets, I have a bike too, and when I see a bike I know that at any minute they can hit a small deep hole that could throw them in front of me. I don't know how good of a rider you are, maybe you can make it, maybe you can't. I know what the rules of the road are but I do think that, once again, just like a pedestrian in a crosswalk, right and dead is still dead. because you never know the mental or physical condition of the person controlling over a ton of metal and fiberglass, don't play semantics with "Ise gots the right a way." My father had a colourful phrase for that, he called it "getting your ar$% up in the air."

dan j
07-31-2007, 01:23 PM
I think you're making mountains out of molehills. The roads are not perfect but it's not as dangerous out there as you make it sound. If everyone did what they're supposed to do (in all ways of the road) then they'd be even safer than they already are. ie. using blinkers, showing other people on the road respect, not speeding, not drinking and driving, not being distracted, following the right of way at intersections, not cutting people off, etc.. When I'm on the road on my bike or in my car I do my best to follow the rules of the road in all manners. They're there not to restrict you but to create uniformity and safety. Just follow the rules, everyone.

TheCBCGuy
07-31-2007, 02:00 PM
This issue has become a fact of life for me. I don't own a car... I haven't for the past few months. My bike is my only form of transportation. It's SO hard to get around this city when the general attitude I perceive is that a bicyclist is a second class citizen (at best.)
As a society, we're in love with our cars (trucks, motorcycles, etc.) and I think many people look down on anybody that doesn't own one. I think it's a status symbol that brings along with it a sense of empowerment.
Part of the issue is how SAFE cars are. When you're driving it's easy to feel like you can't be touched in your 1200 kg hunk of metal. You've got the windshield blocking out the wind so you don't really notice how fast you're actually going. It gets so that the feeling of safety is so strong that some people start to push that envelope a little bit.
But I digress. Back to talking about bikes.
Bicyclists aren't welcome on the sidewalk because that's where the pedestrians are supposed to go. And they aren't really welcome on the road because that's where cars are supposed to go. What does that leave for us? Nothing at all. And that's sad because really I'm doing everybody a favour by riding to work on my bike everyday.
I'm not throwing out fumes into the atmosphere that contribute to global warming. I'm getting in shape so I'm healthy and not a burden on the medical system (unless some SUV driver rubs me out on my way to work.) And since I'm biking that's one less car on the road backing up traffic and taking up parking spots uptown.
All I ask from motor vehicle drivers in response is a little respect and some patience. I don't think that's too much to ask.

dan j
07-31-2007, 02:02 PM
I don't think it is too much to ask either mr ceeb.

trinity
07-31-2007, 03:32 PM
I'm not suggesting you spend your entire trip up on the sidewalk, that creates problems for the pedestrians. I only mean if it seems like it might be dangerous to me as a cyclist, I'm getting off the road either by stopping or going up on the sidewalk for a few feet. NO, this is not a cycling-friendly city, in Vancouver they have whole lanes and sometimes side alleys set aside for bikes only. Most of our streets are too narrow and not designed to add such a lane.

TheCBCGuy
07-31-2007, 03:46 PM
Trinity... I understand what you are saying. I agree that bicyclists should be aware of what's going on around them to try to stay out of trouble. But jumping onto the sidewalk isn't always practical when the curb is high. I'm not much of a bunny-hopper and my bike is not made for that kind of thing. I have a road-bike and not a mountain bike or whatever. The tires aren't made to take that kind of abuse.
But I agree that bikers should do their best to watch where they're going just as much as the drivers of motorized vehicles should. And, as a former driving instructor, I know that many drivers DON'T watch where they're going. That's why problems occur. They aren't paying attention and by the time they notice the bicycle its too late. And the same goes in the other direction.
One thing I've started doing lately is being more vocal/obvious about my intentions as a biker. If I'm stopped at an intersection waiting to go through I'll turn around, get the attention of the person behind me, and try to explain to them what I plan to do when the light turns green. It isn't always practical, but on the occasions where I've been able to do it, I think it's worked out fairly well.

The_Dave
07-31-2007, 04:08 PM
Bicyclists need to also know their hand signals and use them just as motorcycle drivers would. They need to follow the rules of the road just like other vehicles on the road. ( yes a bike is a vehicle ) I have biked for years and found most people in cars generally polite and willing to share the road, it is the odd idiot that makes it dangerous. This also goes for the odd idiot on the bike who didn't take the time to study the handbook and learn the rules of the road. In my opinion, it would not cost much for the city to paint a 2 to 3 foot wide yellow line on all streets on each side for bikes to drive in. Yes some streets are narrow, but at least the lane would be clearly marked for all to see.

Yes I think Saint John is bike friendly, for the most part.

TrueLine
07-31-2007, 06:26 PM
Might does not equal right.

If I'm not in the way, why do I have to move?

I think you're really missing the point here and acting like a child. The road is legally accessible to both cars and bikes. Learn and understand this. You are legally bound to share the road. If you can not do this, you should have the privilege of driving taken away from you. It'll be fun to see you in court for vehicle manslaughter. Better yet, since you have admitted that you want to hit a biker with your 1200 kg vehicle you may get a nicer stay in the clink.

What is this? What sort of a pathetic person would enjoy seeing someone in court for manslaughter? Any thoughts at all for the poor soul who was mashed under the wheels? Speaking of making mountains out of mole hills!
Is it just more drivel out of that black hole between your ears? Or has someone actually appointed you the iSaint John antagonist?
You seem very quick to point out things throughout these threads, then
get on your high horse to look down upon the person. To me this shows one thing and one thing only, a childish author. Try the adult way. Make your points and counterpoints. If you can "enlighten" the person fine.
If not, what's the harm. Agree to disagree. No need for mudslinging!
As for the thread itself, I've never had a problem sharing the road with bikers, heck I'll even slow down if I see a puddle that will soak the rider.
Joggers on the other hand are a nuisance. But that's another thread...play nice y'all..Santa may be watching!

ASortaSweetart
07-31-2007, 06:48 PM
Why don't you guys write into the city watch thing about the biking? Maybe Irving will make some bike friendly adjustments for publicity err I mean out of the goodness of his heart :-)

Just a suggestion.:)

The_Dave
07-31-2007, 06:51 PM
OMG so now we are running over joggers????????? hehehe You folks are crazy.

ASortaSweetart
07-31-2007, 06:51 PM
What is this? What sort of a pathetic person would enjoy seeing someone in court for manslaughter? Any thoughts at all for the poor soul who was mashed under the wheels? Speaking of making mountains out of mole hills!
Is it just more drivel out of that black hole between your ears? Or has someone actually appointed you the iSaint John antagonist?
You seem very quick to point out things throughout these threads, then
get on your high horse to look down upon the person. To me this shows one thing and one thing only, a childish author. Try the adult way. Make your points and counterpoints. If you can "enlighten" the person fine.
If not, what's the harm. Agree to disagree. No need for mudslinging!
As for the thread itself, I've never had a problem sharing the road with bikers, heck I'll even slow down if I see a puddle that will soak the rider.
Joggers on the other hand are a nuisance. But that's another thread...play nice y'all..Santa may be watching!
Now there is no need to be so mean. Or so I am told;). But DanJ did not deserve that not at all!
I luv danj & kaj27's posts so I especially enjoyed this thread. :rofl:

I do not think anyone can question your intelligence danj.

ASortaSweetart
07-31-2007, 06:52 PM
OMG so now we are running over joggers????????? hehehe You folks are crazy.Yeah they are like 5 whole points or something! Yeeehaw!

The_Dave
07-31-2007, 06:53 PM
Now there is no need to be so mean. Or so I am told;). But DanJ did not deserve that not at all!
I luv danj & kaj27's posts so I especially enjoyed this thread. :rofl:

I do not think anyone can question your intelligence danj.

But they can try.

ASortaSweetart
07-31-2007, 06:56 PM
But they can try.Well yeah I guess they did.

Headbanger Studio
08-01-2007, 11:11 AM
The city has an on-going project to build 3 types of bike routes all around the city....it will come, just need a bit of patience :rolleyes: .

kaj27
08-01-2007, 11:49 AM
OMG so now we are running over joggers????????? hehehe You folks are crazy.

And that's another thing! lol

Why do people do their daily run on the road when there is a sidewalk right on the other side of the road!

Are people mental!

Headbanger Studio
08-01-2007, 12:08 PM
And that's another thing! lol

Why do people do their daily run on the road when there is a sidewalk right on the other side of the road!

Are people mental!

I so agree with you on that. However, I was told by a jogger that they prefer the road because a lot of the sidewalks are in poor conditions.

That's the respond I got from one of them last month when I almost hit one with my car on Millidge Av.....a big truck was coming on a curve and I had to squeeze a bit to the right..and that freaking jogger wouldn't get out of the way. I came very close to hit him. So, after the truck passed, I slow down and gave him piece of my mind; that's when he told me that the sidewalks are in poor conditions.

The roads are in poor conditions too, but we still have to drive on them...idiots!

sanstu
08-01-2007, 12:34 PM
I was under the impression that joggers use the road because it is asphalt as opposed to the sidewalk which is concrete. Asphalt is easier on the joints.(just guessing)(I also agree that it creates very dangerous situations)

Headbanger Studio
08-01-2007, 12:50 PM
I was under the impression that joggers use the road because it is asphalt as opposed to the sidewalk which is concrete. Asphalt is easier on the joints.(just guessing)(I also agree that it creates very dangerous situations)

It is possible, but I can see asphalt being easier on a car's suspension (because of the car's weight), but as far as humans goes, I don't think that asphalt or concrete makes any difference; neither can be stretched by human weight at their solid state.

Headbanger Studio
08-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Another way to look at it is, hit your head really hard on asphalt, and do the same with concrete. Do you think that you will get a smaller concussion if you hit the asphate? lol...let's try it and find out!!!!

sanstu
08-01-2007, 09:08 PM
It is possible, but I can see asphalt being easier on a car's suspension (because of the car's weight), but as far as humans goes, I don't think that asphalt or concrete makes any difference; neither can be stretched by human weight at their solid state.

Hey, just putting out what I had been told by friends that jog. Maybe they're jogging on the road just to PO drivers.:rolleyes:

sanstu
08-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Another way to look at it is, hit your head really hard on asphalt, and do the same with concrete. Do you think that you will get a smaller concussion if you hit the asphate? lol...let's try it and find out!!!!
You go first!:rofl:

Headbanger Studio
08-01-2007, 09:13 PM
You go first!:rofl:

My insurance doesn't cover stupidity! hehe!

sanstu
08-01-2007, 09:46 PM
My insurance doesn't cover stupidity! hehe!

Hey, it was your bright idea:rolleyes: .

The_Dave
08-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Joggers use the road also because the sidewalks dip up and down so car driveways can meet the pavement on the road. This causes tripping, twisted ankles and various other potential injuries.

A couple of good places to jog are the UNB track and the Irving Nature Park trails, although the trails can be somewhat tricky in spots.

sanstu
08-02-2007, 06:04 AM
Joggers use the road also because the sidewalks dip up and down so car driveways can meet the pavement on the road. This causes tripping, twisted ankles and various other potential injuries.

A couple of good places to jog are the UNB track and the Irving Nature Park trails, although the trails can be somewhat tricky in spots.

I guess it just depends on which web site you choose for your info.

The_Dave
08-02-2007, 08:11 AM
I never got this info from any website, it is based on experience. I don't disagree with the other info on joggers that is in this thread either.