PDA

View Full Version : Snapping Turtles in St. Andrews???

Vix
07-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Hey SJ does anyone know if it's normal for snapping turtles to live in St. Andrews??/ We were boating in a lake just past St. Andrews (forgot the name ;), and we found this Huge Snapping Turtle floating in a tire. Not sure if he died of old age or passed away for another reason but he was huge, had to weight 20-30 lbs...Is this normal in St Andrews waters??? Thanks for any info...

RIP Turtle Dude :(

Vix

MrsBeasley
07-22-2007, 08:06 PM
I don't think so. But hey, I didn't even know we had turtles in our climate at all until someone brought a wood turtle into our animal hospital a few weeks ago that was hit by a car, so I guess anything is possible.

The Huntsman Marine Lab in St. Andrews would probably be a good place to ask.

ceg
07-22-2007, 09:50 PM
I know there have been snapping turtles found in lakes in Quispamsis for a long time, I wouldn't doubt that they would be there too.

sanstu
07-22-2007, 11:10 PM
Several years ago I was on the Foster Thurston Rd. when I had to stop as a turtle was attempting to cross the road!( and no I didn't sit and wait for him to cross! lol)

Pumpkin
07-22-2007, 11:23 PM
I dunno about St.Andrews but my bf's parents had a camp down in lake uptopia or whatever, down by musquash somewhere, when he was younger and I remember him taking me there for a drive once before they sold it and he told me that he saw a big turtle of some sort near his camp in a big stream by a lil bridge...and like someone else had said, I didn't know we had turtles here except for in the pet stores. lol They should teach this stuff in school lol

puppyluv
07-23-2007, 05:17 AM
You know, this is sad, but I have never seen a turtle outside of an aquarium...I think it owuld be awesome to really see a "wild one"

babydoll101
07-23-2007, 06:38 AM
When I was a kid we had a camp close to Sussex and I saw and picked up a turtle in a brook way back then. It was just a regular one though.

Woofer
07-23-2007, 07:12 AM
few years ago i was trout fishing in red head and found 2 large turtles sitting by the brook. must have been a pound each.

Jhazon
07-26-2007, 09:26 AM
Tons of snapping turtles in Charlotte County. I've seen plenty around St. George and along the backroads, nearly several lakes. Back about 5 years ago, I was heading to work in St. Andrews and watch a turtle cross the road near the Clam Digger takeout. A walk along many roads, you might find areas where turtles have buried their eggs. Not sure how many species of turtle are in the province but there are at least two.

care1978
07-26-2007, 09:32 AM
wow, thats really cool.
kinda like the "theory" that cougars are extinct in this province... my point being, if turtles have been here for this long and nobody knew, then can you just imageine what could be in our forests,lakes, and rivers! i think it is fascinating and i would love to encounter a wild turtle. just because we cant see something doesnt mean it isnt there. something to think about :)

bmxking
08-03-2007, 03:02 PM
its normal to see them i grew up around their many I've even been bitten a few times

harbourchick07
08-04-2007, 05:03 PM
i live in Musquash, Close to the lakes and back roads, and the wildlife if beautiful. I live by the marsh, and everyday you see something walking through there, or flying lol, We have a bald eagles nest up in the grave yard behind our house. And the moose and deer walk right in the back yard. Have had bears to but they don't really get seen unless you go down South musquash or down 7 mile lake road or westbranch.there are millions of turtles lol. I used to bring turtles frogs and snakes home all the time. those little baby box shell turtles you see in pet stores, i used to catch them in the creek behind my house. there is all kinds of animals if you know where to look. Any back road will show you that.. So next time your planning a drive to Calais take the Musquash cut off and turn left just drive straight, not promising you will see anything but even the view is breath taking. as for the snapping turtels.....they are common, my friend found a baby one, didn't know it was a snapper till see took it to the aquarium. they wanted to get it from her but she said no he belonged in the wild...She keep him for the winter then let him go in once it got nice and warm out. he was an ince long when she got him just a baby and when they left him go he was a good size, she had a kiddy pool in her basment with water rocks and all kinds of plants and such in it, looked like a mini home, he was well looked after, but she had to let him go.

Xxthumperx
09-19-2007, 02:37 PM
i lived in St.Andrews for 7 yrs and yes there lakes down there do have snappin turtles cause there 3 of them livin in the lake that my exs fathers camp is on