PDA

View Full Version : Dogs in the back of pickup trucks

sanstu
07-22-2007, 03:53 PM
I was on my way out of the city, heading to Quispamsis, when I noticed the pickup truck in front of me had a large dog in the back. For the life of me I don't understand why someone would do this to their dog! I would think this could result in an injury to the dog.(flying debris, bugs ect.)
This just bugged me when I saw it. Now to my question, is it safe for a dog to ride like this in a truck?

MrsBeasley
07-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Absolutely not!!!

puppyluv
07-22-2007, 07:29 PM
If I am correct, it is also against the law. If the truck had to stop suddenly or swerve, the dog could be thrown from the truck, or if tied, snap it's neck.
Sometimes I wonder where the owners brain is when they do things like that. Dogs are not invincable....if you wouldn't do it to a child, why do it to an animal?

katzndawgs
07-22-2007, 09:15 PM
SPCA ACT

20(1) No person shall transport a dog on a public road outside the passenger compartment of a vehicle in any space intended to carry a load unless

(a) the space is enclosed or has side and tail racks to a height of 1.17 metres (forty-six inches) extending vertically from the floor, or
<O:p
(b) the dog is protected by
(i) a secured cage, or
(ii) a prescribed animal restraint device.
20(2) A person who violates or fails to comply with subsection (1) commits an offence punishable under Part II of the Provincial Offences Procedure Act as a category C offence.
1997, c.27, s.5.

puppyluv
07-23-2007, 05:16 AM
So i was right!

girdy
07-23-2007, 10:14 AM
the dog is protected by a prescribed animal restraint device.

Anyone know what a "prescribed animal restraint device" qualifies as? A rope, a leash, a cage - any or all?

I agree it's not safe for the animal, and since I don't have a truck or a dog, I'm just curious to know.

TheCBCGuy
07-23-2007, 10:41 AM
Ok, this isn't quite the same thing, but has anybody seen a car driving around town with a dog hanging halfway out the driver's window? That can't be safe for the dog, the driver or anybody else on the road.
I think animals should be restrained when they're being transported in vehicles. At the very least they should be kept in the back seat away from the driver. Animals, through no fault of their own, can get in the way and cause accidents because their human owners can't exercise enough control over them while driving. That's what I think anyway.

girdy
07-23-2007, 11:30 AM
Ok, this isn't quite the same thing, but has anybody seen a car driving around town with a dog hanging halfway out the driver's window? That can't be safe for the dog, the driver or anybody else on the road.
I think animals should be restrained when they're being transported in vehicles. At the very least they should be kept in the back seat away from the driver. Animals, through no fault of their own, can get in the way and cause accidents because their human owners can't exercise enough control over them while driving. That's what I think anyway.

I agree, the morons driving around with dogs in their laps should be charged with Dangerous Driving. They're a danger to other drivers because they're not in full control, and if they get in an accident the dog or the driver are going to be seriously hurt if the air bag goes off.

TheCBCGuy
07-23-2007, 11:37 AM
He he... the car I saw was really old and beat up, so there's no danger of an air-bag deploying.. but the principle should be the same... keep your dogs out of your lap when you're driving!!!

MrsBeasley
07-23-2007, 05:02 PM
And how many of those pickup trucks happen to get pulled over and actually charged with the offence. I can tell you it's most likely zero!!!

Driving with an animal loose either inside or outside a vehicle should be an offence as it is not only a danger to the animal but to any passenger in the vehicle in the event of an accident, the animal will become a projectile object.

katzndawgs
07-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Anyone know what a "prescribed animal restraint device" qualifies as? A rope, a leash, a cage - any or all?

I agree it's not safe for the animal, and since I don't have a truck or a dog, I'm just curious to know.

Prescribed I figure would be at the discretion of the officer who checks it. As long as the restraint secured the dog so it couldn't bail out over the side and literally hang itself or choke the dog every time the driver braked or accelerated it would "probably" pass. Those halters with the attachment ring that is located between the shoulders would probably be good. A leash or chain attached to both sides of the truck bed to give the dog limited movement. That's what I use but only for short slow trips. Other than that he's in the cab or in a kennel that is securely fastened down to the bed of the truck.

sanstu
07-23-2007, 09:06 PM
The truck that was in front of me with the dog was on the highway travelling at 110 klm per. I don't believe the dog was restrained because it was moving from one side to the other.( appearing to be having a problem with balance, go figure!)

adorabull
07-23-2007, 10:21 PM
And how many of those pickup trucks happen to get pulled over and actually charged with the offence. I can tell you it's most likely zero!!!

Driving with an animal loose either inside or outside a vehicle should be an offence as it is not only a danger to the animal but to any passenger in the vehicle in the event of an accident, the animal will become a projectile object.

Sad isnt it, I remember a few yrs ago, reading in the news paper, up towards Moncton way a guy had his dog leashed in the back of his pickup truck, the dog jumped out,(after a small animal) and was drug behind the truck for 4 Km's needless to say the dog could not be saved.

I think they should be teathered as in, 2 leads attached to either side of the truck bed, or better yet a secured Crate!

Ti10
07-24-2007, 07:26 AM
I was in the states and seen a Van with a dog crate on the back...Bungy cords held this to the back of the van....wind just blowing like crazy too...felt so bad for that dog...you could tell he was petrified too...its not right.

jdcb
07-24-2007, 05:41 PM

out the drivers window I absolutely agree... other windows I don't mind so much unless your doing 120 down the highway, then they only get to stick out there nose a little bit...