PDA

View Full Version : Tax rant

The_Dave
07-20-2007, 07:18 PM
They should cancel the universal cheque hand out. They are also discriminating against parents who have children older than 6.

Coston07
07-20-2007, 07:55 PM
They should cancel this hand out. They are also discriminating against parents who have children older than 6.

The_Dave you either have lots of money or have no children. From what I understand this money is for help for child care costs or to off set one parent staying some. I send 250.00 a week on childcare cost for two children under the age of three and this is a big help at the end of the month. MOst of the year childern under six are in school and cost are not as high. If the government wants us to work and tontribute so society, so they should help us out. ( Sorry for getting off topic)

The_Dave
07-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Again, They should cancel this hand out. They are also discriminating against parents who have children older than 6.

If you have children they are YOUR responsibility, not the taxpayers. It was your choice to have children. Do not rely on others to pay the costs associated with them, such as daycare.

ASortaSweetart
07-20-2007, 09:07 PM
Mothers and fathers pay taxes so the government is really just giving them their money back. It goes to benefit the child. The government wants our population to grow and at least the money is going to something other than a scandal.

You should start your own daycare Dave, then you can get some of the money back maybe. Whats left after everyone buys their chips and beer ofcourse.

And I am almost positive they are not canceling the checks. My sister got hers and so did some of my friends.

So you can rest easy tonight Dave, your money is in the right hands.

Misty589
07-20-2007, 09:15 PM
LOL for some reason i'm feeling "deja vu"

The_Dave
07-20-2007, 09:44 PM
ASortaSweetart, thanks for assuring me. I just wish there was a way I could get some of my taxes back. Enjoy the chips and beer.

PS I hope it is a Moose product, support your local brewery.

admin
07-20-2007, 10:12 PM
The above posts have been moved from a different thread where they didn't quite fit (not the fault of the repliers though... except the first reply at the top ;) . It's because if people are just asking questions, we can't have it turn into a tax rant, because it would lead too many threads down that road... it has to be a new thread for such posts).

Thanks

megz
07-20-2007, 11:51 PM
They should cancel this hand out. They are also discriminating against parents who have children older than 6.

Hahahaha looks like someone is angry! oh well!!! I don't think they should cancel the checks! I think it was a great idea! and they should double it:rofl:

Cherry Pop
07-21-2007, 01:15 AM
I'm not sure whether they should cancel them or not but I do think they need to create more daycare spaces. What's the point of giving more money for child care if there aren't enough spaces. Also for kids over 6, they are in school most of the day. I'm not sure of the cost for afterschool programs but maybe your on to something "the dave". I guess those who have to put there kids in afterschool programs or need childcare after school should get extra money too?!

t-bone
07-21-2007, 10:48 AM
THE_DAVE "I just wish there was a way I could get some of my taxes back."

Yawn...another rant by the dave about his tax dollars....same poop, different day...

Dave, you do get your tax dollars back. they pay for the roads, the hospitals, the military and all the other good things the government does.

Plus, when you turn the magic age of 60 or 65, a government employee in a snappy uniform will hand deliver you a cheque every month. a cheque that is possible because people chose to have kids. those kids grow up and pay into the pension plan that will fund your rocking chair days.

MrsBeasley
07-21-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm not sure whether they should cancel them or not but I do think they need to create more daycare spaces. What's the point of giving more money for child care if there aren't enough spaces. Also for kids over 6, they are in school most of the day. I'm not sure of the cost for afterschool programs but maybe your on to something "the dave". I guess those who have to put there kids in afterschool programs or need childcare after school should get extra money too?!

I'm with you on that one. Another thing they overlooked is the fact that it is supposed to benefit "everyone who has young children" with their child care needs not only are more daycare spaces needed, but it still is of no benefit to parents who work outside the normal 9-5 workday. Evening, nighttime, weekend and those willing to do "on call" are almost impossible to find

trinity
07-21-2007, 11:53 AM
I get what The_dave is getting at, some of the time. I also got very fed up watching my upstairs neighbours with one kid get cheque after cheque for this or that, childcare credits, heating credits etc on top of the usual monthly child tax credit-when I am paying the same bills they are , it can be very disheartening to know that you and a neighbour are making the same money, but they are getting multiple cheques regularly, and getting that cheque regardless of the fact that since both parents generally worked different shifts, they were shelling out very little for actual childcare. I have ALWAYS felt that cheque should go directly to a daycare or care provider and not into the hands of parents who don't actually need childcare services because of work schedules or helpful friends/grandparents (or don't work at all). I was especially unimpressed the year (c1999-2000)they sent out $125 cheques to people without requiring that they prove that they paid oil or power bills, i.e. that it wasn't included in their rent. Some people had a nice big party that year, courtesy of the government. Again, it goes back to there is zero support for childless people who are working poor like me, I need my car and my teeth fixed but can't afford either, I just know its because of all that money I am lavishing on brand new 29$ dvd players when mine died, and the shocking luxury of new glasses because I stopped being able to recognize coworkers at 10 feet and my computer monitor wouldn't move any further forward on my desk.
No, I don't have children, because I chose to not have any unless I felt I could support them fully and not bring them up in the constant dire financial uncertainty that I grew up in. Maybe with all this free cash floating around out there I ought to squeeze one out just to get a piece of the pie?

At the same time, I know my life doesn't suck. It really doesn't, but I do get fed up when anyone gets something for nothing, like childcare cheques when they don't need childcare or heating cheques when they don't pay their own heat.

ASortaSweetart
07-21-2007, 12:33 PM
The government of Canada decided to give out an extra $100 dollars a month to families. It is not just expected to be used for childcare, but also educational materials, and education itself. (read the UCCB FAQ).

It is an initiative to put the choice in the hands of the individual family and for them to aceess their needs and what to do with the money. This was the government's intended purpose. The other childcare budget was thrown out. This was not supposed to be the fix for the child care problems in this country.

The government of Canada wastes your taxes and it has nothing to do with the UCCB.

These rants are just another example of how a lot of people can not stand when someone else is getting help because they happen to be excluded this time.:biggrin:

Some of You sound selfish and completely wrapped up in your own little lives. If you do not have children you shouldn't even compare your income to those who do because children are very expensive! And bullcrap the only people that have children should do it if they can afford it. Hello, I wouldn't be here? Would you?

I feel very firmly that attacking other posters or even the UCCB in a tax rant is barking up the wrong tree. Although it may be a good cure for boredom if you constantly enjoy *****in' about how the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

The government should be giving families that extra money in the UCCB or CTB and they do not have to say it is for childcare. Hello (again) how many working poor people are in this country?:rolleyes:

Cherry Pop
07-21-2007, 03:02 PM
The government of Canada decided to give out an extra $100 dollars a month to families. It is not just expected to be used for childcare, but also educational materials, and education itself. (read the UCCB FAQ).

It is an initiative to put the choice in the hands of the individual family and for them to aceess their needs and what to do with the money. This was the government's intended purpose. The other childcare budget was thrown out. This was not supposed to be the fix for the child care problems in this country.

The government of Canada wastes your taxes and it has nothing to do with the UCCB.

These rants are just another example of how a lot of people can not stand when someone else is getting help because they happen to be excluded this time.:biggrin:

Some of You sound selfish and completely wrapped up in your own little lives. If you do not have children you shouldn't even compare your income to those who do because children are very expensive! And bullcrap the only people that have children should do it if they can afford it. Hello, I wouldn't be here? Would you?

I feel very firmly that attacking other posters or even the UCCB in a tax rant is barking up the wrong tree. Although it may be a good cure for boredom if you constantly enjoy *****in' about how the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

The government should be giving families that extra money in the UCCB or CTB and they do not have to say it is for childcare. Hello (again) how many working poor people are in this country?:rolleyes:

If it's extra money not for childcare than shouldn't people who have children over the age of six get it too?! I know I could use an extra $100 a month.

I do agree that whether you can afford to have kids or not is not a valid arguement. Some people can afford to have kids then something bad happens like they get sick and can't work. It's not that person's fault that they have a hard time affording their child in that situation so I really hate it when people make comments like that!

ASortaSweetart
07-21-2007, 03:41 PM
I agree they should be giving all families more, but they are not.

You have a very valid argument Cherry Pop and I was not trying to imply otherwise. But why say if everyone can't get it then no one should? Things just can not work that way because there isn't enough to go around.

There isn't enough to go around because we pay the government too much. They need all these perks to do their jobs that we pay for, but we seem to be able to go about our lives supporting them and going without[such perks].

The PM should be wearing wash and wear and using the rest of his suit budget to help out the families who are struggling and not a part of this benefit. That is what I think hee hee

Better yet I wonder what would happen if we made a mandatory government dress code of those plain brown robes the poor monks wear. Think of what all that money we would save would do! With all these ideas I should think about getting into politics.

The_Dave
07-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Trinity, very well said. At last someone gets what I mean.

Also t-bone, you are right, but MY tax dollars should not go to support those who CHOOSE to have children. If you give to one, give to all. My Parents didn't get all the handouts people get today and we managed just fine. My Parents found a way, they relyed on no one to do it for them.

lizard_lover
07-24-2007, 03:36 PM
You know what the_dave? seriously, you need to stop picking on those with kids...like holy shoot...(no, i do not have any yet, so i am not being biased) yeah, ok there may be people out there who pop out kids just for the money (i know of two couples personally) and I also know a couple people who do use all those cheques for themselves, new clothes, etc...and their kids are in rags and starving (I have reported them several times, but of course, nothing gets done...)

There are families out there, however, who do sincerely need it. When I lived with my brother, mother, mom and dad, we had it ok. They made lots of money, and my brother and I did things for money (mow lawns and such to learn responsibility) After my parents divorced, we had some financial issues, but survived. At this point, my biological father refused to pay child support for me, and she was not getting money from the government for me, and she got 200$ a month for my brother. Technically, 200$ a month for 2 kids. Then, my mother was in a terrible car accident (almost 5 years ago) and to this day is permanently disabled, but does not get disability because of the nature of the accident (buddy ran through a stop sign, and she did not have enough time to hit her brakes)

After that happened, we were pretty screwed...lived with nothing, sold everything, and ended up moving in with a friend of hers. We could have used some of the money that people are seeming to get now.

I do on one hand agree that some people should not get what they do, but I also think there are people who deserve it. I think a good idea would be for a gov. representative to go to the houses of people getting this stuff once a month...or even once every two months, and see if they need it all?

lizard_lover
07-24-2007, 03:39 PM
oh and by the way "the dave", i totally do not agree with you in regards to anything! Like I do not drive, should I have the right to say "oh, i think MY tax dollars should not go towards new roads for those who chose to drive?" like seriously, give me a freaking break!

sanstu
07-24-2007, 04:52 PM
The Universal Childcare Benefit is the biggest crock of kaka poo poo ever initiated by a government. Implementing this paultry amount has cost working Canadians valuable childcare spaces. This was part of Prime Minister Harper's campaign. Families didn't win with this. I'm with you on this "the Dave!"

mizunderstood
07-24-2007, 05:12 PM
well I am a mother of 2 kids so I get 200 a month of this "wonderful UCCB". LOL. Having said that I persoanlly feel it is a bunch of crap. 200 a month does nothing really when you think about it. I pay 1100 a month for daycare for my kids ON MY OWN, no gov't help. At the end of the tax year I have to claim it and guess what happened this year? Because of the UCCB it put my yearly income up just enough to put me into another tax bracket! ARG. So what I have started doing is taking that 200 a month and put it into a savings account so that at the end of the next tax year I will use it to pay if I owe! I think it is great in theory. It does help those that have minimal income, or those that pay minimal child care expenses. But really I think it was just a ploy to make parents like the harper gov;t. Just my opinion. I agree with some of the other posters if it is for child care (does not have to be daycare etc) then EVERY PARENT with a child should get it!
Just a funny note for you The_Dave. 75% of people in housing in the cresent Valley (boulavards) do not work outside the home for pay. Yet they all get this UCCB. What does that say? Just my opinion and my thoughts, I know some dont agree and I respect that, please respect my views as well. Thanks

Misty589
07-24-2007, 05:23 PM
I do on one hand agree that some people should not get what they do, but I also think there are people who deserve it. I think a good idea would be for a gov. representative to go to the houses of people getting this stuff once a month...or even once every two months, and see if they need it all?[/QUOTE]

Do you realize how much THAT would cost?!?! much more than 100 dollars a month!

lizard_lover
07-24-2007, 05:23 PM
I agree with that...if 75% do not work outside the home and get it, that is ridiculous. I think, that a family should get it if they are not able to work, and need to support kids (maternity leave, had an accident, on leave from work, etc...) or people who work their butts off, but still do not have enough money. by that I mean people who do not have big fancy jobs with expensive cars. I know I have no kids, and barely scrape every month topay all my bills. I do not think that people who sit at home, on their arses, and do nothing should get it or any other type of govn. help what so ever. I am all for letting my taxes go to people who really do need it, but there should be a line. A family with 4 kids can have my money if the parents work and try to support on their own, but still need it. I am totally against my money going to people who are just too $*@#ing lazy to get off their arses to get a job to support the kids that they opened their legs to have. Anyone know what I mean? Sorry, I have a lot of trouble trying to get out what i mean to say without saying something to make everyone get the wrong impression. lol just ask my boyfriend! :)

lizard_lover
07-24-2007, 05:26 PM
I do on one hand agree that some people should not get what they do, but I also think there are people who deserve it. I think a good idea would be for a gov. representative to go to the houses of people getting this stuff once a month...or even once every two months, and see if they need it all?

Do you realize how much THAT would cost?!?! much more than 100 dollars a month![/quote]

yes i know how much that would cost...but i mean if it were possible, i bet they would catch a lot of people getting money when they shouldn't...like a professional bum....they tick me off...

Jhazon
07-24-2007, 05:35 PM
...They are also discriminating against parents who have children older than 6.

Old Age Pension is also discriminating! They only offer is pension to people older than 60!

And Social Assistance discriminates against people that make above a certain income.... I want it regardless!! No need to discriminate!

Gosh-darnit, those Disablity Benefit people! I have no injuries or handicaps, but I want that money too!

And talk about discrimination... those war vetern get their own headstone! I want a government issued headstone on my grave. heck, I don't want to pay for a damn thing!

smart
07-24-2007, 05:47 PM
The Universal Childcare Benefit is the biggest crock of kaka poo poo ever initiated by a government. Implementing this paultry amount has cost working Canadians valuable childcare spaces. This was part of Prime Minister Harper's campaign. Families didn't win with this. I'm with you on this "the Dave!"

I agree with you. It was a pathetic move by The Conservatives under Stephen Harper to essentially buy votes (but it sadly probably worked).

The money should be put into social programs (like childcare programs) rather than being a handout to people who in some cases don't even need it (and even for some who don't work but could use it to buy things for their kids, let's face it, some of those people may waste the money on themselves instead)

Plus, it seems no matter how much money a person makes, they will get the $100 per month per kid... even if they make $250,000 per year.

Some of the amount will be clawed back by taxes obviously, but it's still a stupid use of money, when someone making $250k will consider it a pittance, while it could have been used for social programs of actual value.

lizard_lover
07-24-2007, 06:08 PM
lol i know what you mean...and i mean, it is all a cycle, none of it really being fair...
I pay around 400$ a month in taxes (i know some of you pay 3 times more) And never really get it back. I do not drive, so the roads do not matter to me, the bus is bumpy as it is lol.
I do not go to the hospital, or really do anything that would use the tax money...I wake up, eat the food i payed for, get dressed in the clothes i paid for, feed all my animals with the food i paid for, take the bus to work. and i pay the 2.25$ to take it by the way :) once to work, i do that, get lunch (i pay for it) and then ride the bus home, and go to sleep. I pay for everything I do...Have not been to a doctor in years, other than the one a female has to do every year...
Now, I know it sucks to lose that money each month, but I really do not let it bother me. All i can do is hope it is going to someone who needs it...
Why do people complain though? seriously, your (and mine, lol i admit i complain about nothing a lot of the time) whining gets you (or me) anywhere. It just means they won, and what they are doing is getting to you, making you stress out, and lowering your life expectancy...

What I worry about is not where my taxes go, but that htere are places giving out free condoms, birth control pills, and the "morning after pill". like seriously...I know when i was 14, my friend and i used to go and get this stuff for fun...i think it is encouraging people to have sex at a younger age...it is disgusting...

MezMaRi
07-24-2007, 06:28 PM
There are lots of government programs that dont help YOU dave or you santsu but I bet there are many that do You cant please all of the people all of the time. There are benefits handed out that some of us qualify and that others dont and vice versa.

I am happy the government gave me this extra 100$ a month. It helps me and enables me to buy my daughter books, activity books, and in the summer while im not in school it allows me to send my child to daycare.

Some of you hate it and thats fine but you are looking at social assistance receipients in a constant negative light. Many of those on social assistance utilize there resources and do great things with there lives. If only some of you could open your eyes and see the good that comes out of programs like the UCCB. If you so choose to look at all these programs in a negavtive light than so be it but your wasting your time!!!

I understand why you feel frustrated about the money going to those who abuse the system but people abuse EI, disability, IA, student loans, etc. Does that mean we shouldn't have any of those programs either??? Someone was right in saying that I shouldnt have to pay for road work with my taxes because i dont drive and it doesnt affect me.

I will say I sure hope all you complainers took the time to vote. I was always taught that those who couldn't get their butt's to the poles shouldnt be complaining!

The_Dave
07-24-2007, 06:49 PM
"I do on one hand agree that some people should not get what they do, but I also think there are people who deserve it. I think a good idea would be for a gov. representative to go to the houses of people getting this stuff once a month...or even once every two months, and see if they need it all?"

lizard_lover, I couldn't agree more. Hey why not give these jobs to the people sitting back collecting all these handouts then they wouldn't need handouts.

"oh and by the way "the dave", i totally do not agree with you in regards to anything! Like I do not drive, should I have the right to say "oh, i think MY tax dollars should not go towards new roads for those who chose to drive?" like seriously, give me a freaking break!"

lizard_lover, you still take the bus, cabs, walk. Fire, ambulance, and police need to get to your house in the event of emergency.

I also am glad you don't agree with me because that is your opinion and I respect that. This is after all a free country.

The_Dave
07-24-2007, 06:51 PM
Old Age Pension is also discriminating! They only offer is pension to people older than 60!
And talk about discrimination... those war vetern get their own headstone! I want a government issued headstone on my grave. heck, I don't want to pay for a damn thing!

Seniors, war vets and the truly disabled should be given everything to help them. They are truly the ones who deserve and need it. The rest can get off their lazy duffs and earn it.

The_Dave
07-24-2007, 06:52 PM
hehe I just learned how to properly use the quote option.

lizard_lover
07-24-2007, 06:57 PM
lol awesome...and the_dave, i totally understand where you are coming from....your views are just a little different then mine...and as far as my taxes for the road...I am just stating that I have never needed them, and I meant as a joke about the bus thing...they ride like crazy and hurt to ride them on good or bad roads lol...I think we should just stop complaining....we voted them in (over majority) and we should deal with it :D

The_Dave
07-24-2007, 07:01 PM
And you hit it on the head lizard_lover, We voted them in, but it doesn't matter who you vote in, they all make the bad decisions, bunch of legal crooks if you ask me, but that is for another post.

lizard_lover
07-24-2007, 07:09 PM
exactly :) finally, we agree on some thing :D lol

mommyd
07-24-2007, 10:25 PM
[QUOTE=lizard_lover;134189] I do not drive, so the roads do not matter to me, the bus is bumpy as it is lol.
I do not go to the hospital, or really do anything that would use the tax money...QUOTE]

WTF!!! HELLO! I am sooo happy you don't use the hospital, because that means you're not sick! But for god sakes, why is it so difficult for some of you people to grasp the concept of "It's there if you need it" .. is that not good enough? God forbid you or someone you love gets into an accident, or gets sick and needs to go to the hospital in which we do not need to pay out of pocket for (have you seen the movie Sicko? I have, and you know what.. it costs $60 000 to get the tip of ONE finger sewn back on after an accident. Here in canada? you could get a few fingers chopped off and you wouldn't have to pay a penny for reconstruction. (and before you say health insurance picks up the tab in the states, think again.) But no, you just feed your animals, get on the bus and go to work.. nothing like that (or any type of accident) could ever happen to you or a loved one.
And where do you think the buses come from? You think your 2 dollars goes to purchasing those? And if the rds are bad, even tho you don't drive, the buses do .. if they get damaged because of potholes, who do you thinks pays to fix those? What about the ppl who pay taxes but don't use public transportation? If they didn't pay towards those then i'm pretty sure there'd be none for non drivers to use in the first place.

To the people who don't think THEIR tax dollars should go towards ppl staying at home on welfar, or to those with children.. then it's not.. think of your dollars going towards something else you agree more with, and the ppl who do use those services is where THEIR tax dollars go. I agree there are lots of ppl that abuse systems, it's how it is everywhere, nothing will ever change that.

but like i said in a previous post in the past, the gov't collects taxes paid by you. Some of that money goes towards services you do use, some to those you don't, some to those you don't but will, some that you don't but may, some of those you don't and will never, some of those you do now but may not in the future. Just think of your tax dollars going towards the services you agree with. The city can not go around asking every single person what they want their specific tax dollars to go towards.. chances are most ppl would just keep the extra dollars for themselves and we wouldn't have any "free services" such as hospital and bla bla bla.

lizard_lover
07-25-2007, 11:52 AM
I am not saying i don't think my taxes should go towards roads, or medicare, or whatever else, because someday i will need it. I do not see the money in the first place, so i really do not miss it...I was just bringing it up for sake of argument...because some people were going on about their taxes going to people with kids...lol I really could care less...I know someday I will give birth and would rather not have to pay for that...so I don't mind my taxes being taken, all i can do is hope is that it goes to the right things...

The_Dave
07-25-2007, 08:03 PM
This is about people who DO NOT pay their fair share and use all services and more. Is everyone too blind to see that? I have said all along, if you give to one, give to all. Sheeesh

t-bone
07-26-2007, 09:48 AM
after reading all the posts in this thread, i feel as if my IQ dropped 20 points. apparently stupidly is contagious!!

mommyd
07-26-2007, 10:11 AM
This is about people who DO NOT pay their fair share and use all services and more. Is everyone too blind to see that? I have said all along, if you give to one, give to all. Sheeesh

i said in my post that it is horrible that ppl abuse the system and don't pay and such. But i was refering to the ppl who basically don't think they should have to pay taxes for certain things based on the fact they don't use that particular service, that's all.

lizard_lover
07-26-2007, 12:48 PM
I said I don't use the services, but I also said I don't mind paying taxes...eventually I will need the services, so it is all good with me...but i do agree that there are people that abuse it, and I know a couple and have stopped talking to them..I didn't like the fact that my hard earned money was paying for their drugs...that is the only thing i ever had a problem with paying taxes...