PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming..is it us..or natural?

daneast
01-02-2007, 08:55 AM
There is mixed thoughts on global warming. Some scientists say we, with our fossil fuels etc..are the cause, while others say it is a natural cylce that happens every so often throughout time and has happened before. In fact some countries deny global warming even exists.
Considering the air around our planet is the same air that dinosaurs breathed, it just gets recycled..what are your thoughts? And do we owe it to the next generations to do something now?

Dan_Man
01-02-2007, 09:11 AM
I think Global Warming is caused by us...
I watched An Inconsistant Truth last night. That movie is an eye opener!

girdy
01-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Certainly there have been significant natural fluctuations in temperature in the past. Ice Ages come and go. There seems to be evidence that the Arctic Ocean was clear of summer ice 2 thousands years or so ago. Whether or not the chemicals we put out are causing a warming cycle or not, the less crud in the air we breath has gotta be a good thing.

Mandi
01-02-2007, 09:32 AM
I think the cause greatly has to do with how we treat our planet, and even if it doesn't. We owe it to our children to take the measures it takes to lessen waste and to try to clean our air and oceans.

Corinne
01-02-2007, 10:03 AM
I believe a little of both sides. I think the earth does naturally warm up, but what we are doing to the earth is speeding it along. So I do believe in global warming, I don't think we should deny it is happening and I absolutely believe we need to do something about it.

jdobbs
01-02-2007, 02:14 PM
I've read, I beleive in National Geographic a fews years back, that these cycles have happened before but have taken 100s or 1000s of years to complete.

There has been huge global temperature increases within the last 25 years. So regardless if it is mankind or not, something is happening.

Fast change to the environment usually is not a good thing and weather becomes unpredictable.

sjchickie
01-02-2007, 04:35 PM
rent an "inconvienent truth" al gore does it and its great. Its not natural all the toxic emmissions refinerys and plants are putting into the air is slowing killing us

tred816
01-02-2007, 05:28 PM
My dad watched that and wrote up a huge massif email about how everyone should watch it. He was fanatical. I can't wait to see it. I saw Al on Oprah a couple of weeks ago and it was quite eye opening.

clairegt
01-02-2007, 06:29 PM
My friend had the book (before the movie came out, he wrote a book by the same name) and I glanced through it while she was reading it, really interesting, now i am waiting to watch the movie, really want to see it, sounds like something everyone should watch.

friskeywhiskey
01-02-2007, 06:49 PM
It most definitely is us that is the cause of global warming. No matter how you look it. Even for those that say it is natural to have cycles, it just is not natural to be going through a cycle so fast or to the degree that we are seeing now. It not only is the pollution that we generate but also the trees that we are cutting down particularly in the rainforests of the world (trees convert carbon dioxide to oxygen). Big business and goverment must come on board and finally take responsibility for years of inaction. Lack of the 3R's (Reduce, Reuse and Recycle) on each individual is also to blame. Also, individuals can play their part and take a stand that inaction will no longer be tolerated anymore from the goverment or big business. If enough of us step up they will have to listen! Or, we face very dire consequences in the years to come.

tryshc
01-02-2007, 11:11 PM
I agree that there is a natural cycle, but I also believe that what we are doing is sppeeding up that natural cycle. I was driving home one morning at the ungodly hour of 6 am (yuck) and I heard on the radio about the glacier shelf hat broke off in Northern Canada. It was the size of 11,000 football fields! and it floated I think they said 30 miles and then reattached itself. To have happened this fast they said is not normal at all. I think our children and their children are gonna have a heck of a time cleanin up this mess...and I think we should help them.

orange
01-03-2007, 05:00 AM
I agree that there is a natural cycle, but I also believe that what we are doing is sppeeding up that natural cycle.

I think it's even worse than that -- based on cycles, the Earth should be getting cooler, and yet it's getting warmer :eek:

I don't think any serious scientists [ones who aren't shills for oil/car companies] believe it's not man-made.

kaj27
01-03-2007, 12:05 PM
It is a mix of both.

I laugh at the news or hearing people talk about how warm this winter is. They blame it on global warming. Are you serious? Last year I was freezing my ass off and shoveling the driveway. This year nothing. This isn't The Day After Tomorrow, Global warming is going to take years. What we have right now is just a mild winter. A green Christmas. We had a bunch of em when I was a kid, no one cried Global Warming.

Dan_Man
01-03-2007, 01:17 PM
I don't recall seeing much snow last winter :P

jiggypat23
01-03-2007, 01:38 PM
agreed, there wasnt much at all

kaj27
01-03-2007, 02:00 PM
It's always like that.

Just like how everyone says, Man I can't believe its getting dark out so early.

It does it every year!

It did snow enough last year, I remember. I got caught in the snow a few times.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/MoparBoys/Sx20003.jpg

Mandi
01-03-2007, 03:51 PM
It's always like that.

Just like how everyone says, Man I can't believe its getting dark out so early.

It does it every year!

It did snow enough last year, I remember. I got caught in the snow a few times.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/MoparBoys/Sx20003.jpg
That's a hot car.
It snowed last year, I think it even snowed before halloween a couple times, but it melted away again, but it was a very mild winter. for the most part anyway.

hiph0p
01-03-2007, 11:24 PM
the world is coming to an end , all the ice is going to melt and we'll all be swimming

oldnugly
01-04-2007, 05:43 AM
as long as kaj27 still has his bubble machine everything will be just fine.

daneast
01-04-2007, 08:49 AM
It is a mix of both.

I laugh at the news or hearing people talk about how warm this winter is. They blame it on global warming. Are you serious? Last year I was freezing my ass off and shoveling the driveway. This year nothing. This isn't The Day After Tomorrow, Global warming is going to take years. What we have right now is just a mild winter. A green Christmas. We had a bunch of em when I was a kid, no one cried Global Warming.

I don't know when you were a kid but, since I was a kid there have been dramatic changes in the weather. (Grew up on Grand Manan Island) The little snow you show in your picture is nothing, freezing?...you must be prone to cold... Most winters that i remember there was snow at least at the beginning of Nov..and it would snow at least once a week until figgin March (I lived 1/2 mile from the bus stop) and would almost freeze to death trudging through it.In Nov my step-dad would take us kids and we would "bank" the house...shovel snow up against it all the way around as extra insulation...it would finally melt in March or so. I remember Ice flows in the harbour, some winters all the way across it, and farther out, the ocean water was warmer than the air so there would be a "mist" over the water...friggin cold ( 10-20 below.for 3 months)..my mittens, scarve etc..would freeze hard as a rock...Shoveling the driveway was almost a daily chore. Now, most snow we get melts away..we might get 2 or 3 "storms"..we get 2 maybe 3 weeks of really cold weather..that's it. It warms up and we get rain, clouds, fog..etc..as Bob Dylan once said..."the times they are a changin"
I guess the big thing is the extreeme changes...warm one day..massive storms or extreme cold the next..instead of snowing 3 or 4 inches on a regular basis, it is a big dump all at once..then it gets mild and melts. Huge storms all over the world, ice caps melting alarmingly fast...Beside all this the earth is losing mass..over a billion tons per year( coal mining, natural gas etc..all being burnt leaving gaping holes in our planet or empty pockets under it, effecting its rotational speed and axis...all this cannot be denied...and is not natural.

margay
01-04-2007, 02:57 PM
An Inconsistant Truth gotta watch it

Mandi
01-04-2007, 03:10 PM
I'm in my 30's. I remember the winters when I was a kid. There was so much snow on the ground we use to built snow forts that were probably around 4 feet high. I remember walking to the bus stop 15 mins outside waiting for the bus my eye lashes would freeze together. There is no way that our winters were always mild. I don't remember the last winter where it is was so warm outside that you could actually go for a bike ride!!

There is definitely something going on. Whatever people want to call it "global warming, end of the world". There is nothing really that human kind can do about this. I've been recycling for years now. Paper, cans, plastic, bottles, etc...I've been composting for 6 years. I don't think there is much I throw in the garbage. However I am just one person. Even if 1/2 or the worlds population did this would it fix the big whole we made in the ozone layer?

This is bound to happen. Everything needs to be reborn and its a natural cycle of life, mankind and earth.

What about The lost city of Atlantis. What happened to it? Supposably the city was so technically advanced. If this is the truth how did it end up under water? What else was around before then? Maybe our city will end up under water and in 500 years it will be a legend to other people that have a different life style and are asking all the same questions. They might be riding horse's again. Not even know what a car is.

People always question the pyramids and how they were built. How do we know?. If we can't figure it out today then who figured it out back then? Could it have been another human cycle in life? Why were they so advanced? Where did they get the equipment to build it?

Anyways I talk to much!! LOL

This is good drinking conversation though....
-sniff sniff- I don't wanna die...
I find this entire post to be fascinating though... some truths in there me thinks.

jdcb
01-04-2007, 04:15 PM
a few years ago, the inuit and native peoples in the Teritories started flocking to doctors with a strange and iritating skin disorder that they had never seen before, they all had sunburns...

Fundy
01-04-2007, 10:14 PM
I dont think any sane person could believe that we are not destroying our own planet....

Polar Ice cap will be gone by 2040:
http://www.carbonpositive.net/viewarticle.aspx?articleID=496

Scientists warned on Monday that the Arctic ice is vanishing at a much faster rate than has previously been measured.

It's being seen as another sign of global warming.

The ice has been shrinking steadily over the past 30 years, but now scientists say there's a possibility of an ice-free Arctic in the next few decades.

see here for more info : http://http://www.ndtv.com/morenews/showmorestory.asp?slug=Arctic+ice+is+vanishing%3A+ Scientists+&id=97836

dollydoo
01-08-2007, 11:32 AM
I think Global Warming is caused by us...
I watched An Inconsistant Truth last night. That movie is an eye opener!

That movie is an eye opener i cant believe it i see myself making small changes everyday now