PDA

View Full Version : New Rogers internet service?

dragokatzov
07-15-2007, 12:28 PM
I recently moved into my girlfriends house, and she had ultra lite. we upgraded to extreme and the guy from rogers said that there was a new extreme service with a 10 meg download and a 2 meg upload.... we didn' get it because its $99/month! but i am wondering, does anyone have this service, or know anything about it?

kaj27
07-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Uhhh it's not new, it's about 2 years old. And I don't think it's $99 a month. It's $99 for the box.

t_s_cb
07-15-2007, 04:22 PM
no it is new..i was talking to them about it but they told me it was supossed to be 18 meg..and that it was 100.00$ too..i dont know anything else really about it..

kaj27
07-15-2007, 06:19 PM
no it is new..i was talking to them about it but they told me it was supossed to be 18 meg..and that it was 100.00$ too..i dont know anything else really about it..

Well the poster said 10mbps, that isn't new.

18mbps would be yes.

mizunderstood
07-15-2007, 08:39 PM
on the phone with rogers now they have 100.00 a month plan and it gives u speeds of UP TO 18 mbs
the website is www.rogers.com/extremeplus (http://www.rogers.com/extremeplus)
hope that helps...

ASortaSweetart
07-18-2007, 11:03 AM
I have got to try this....you do not have to have a contract do you? I can't see me reasoning with my hubby to fork out a 100 bucks a month on internet just so I can spend more on online shopping, but I think I may get it for a few months to try. (I guess I could go read the link myself)

I need to see this in action lol I am such a geek. :biggrin: In a cool way.:cool:

kaj27
07-19-2007, 12:05 AM
If you are just shopping online, then 18Mbps is useless. Try 1 or 1.5Mbps.

ASortaSweetart
07-19-2007, 12:17 AM
Well I would also be downloading and uploading large files while shopping online. It is impossible to do both now. And some files take a day or 2 to finish. I wouldn't keep it, but I would like to check it out if I can get my way that is. It is a lot of money for an internet connection.

I am renting and older house so the phone lines need to be replaced. My Aliant internet is terrible I really should switch to Rogers anyways. Sometimes I can get dial up speeds. Aliant said it was on our end and we would have have the wires fixed or something.

paak
07-20-2007, 12:09 PM
A 90GB monthly capacity applies to Extreme Plus

Makes the extra speed useless when you hit the transfer limit much much quicker lol

Theoretical transfers:
18Mbps = 2250KB/s
2250KB/s x 60secs x 60mins ----->8.1GB transfered in ONE HOUR

so....12hours at full capacity hits the 90GB limit...Imagine! What about the other 29.5 days? at $1.25/GB over the limit...OUCH!

mattpage84
07-20-2007, 03:22 PM
well like i said in another thread, i just got a letter today from rogers telling me they bumped me up to 7 mbps on the express package from 5 mbps, no extra charge or nothing

paak
08-01-2007, 02:13 PM
There are rumours of an Aliant package that will offer 12-15Mbps sometime close to the end of the year. And theres no "bandwidth cap" with Aliant...

kaj27
08-01-2007, 02:15 PM
There are rumours of an Aliant package that will offer 12-15Mbps sometime close to the end of the year. And theres no "bandwidth cap" with Aliant...

Yeah no caps.

Just loads of downtime, lol.

I myself like rogers for the reason that my IP is static and not dynamic.

Freudian
09-14-2007, 11:46 PM
This thread is comical.

Reminds me of the 'GIG-LIMIT' with NBTEL's HFC Vibe back in the late 90's. We argued that you could download a 650mb CD in 18mins @ 10mbps, which was the speed of their service at the time. 20mbps if you add the up and downstream. You could transfer 10mbps in both directions at the same time. Pretty sweet service for 44.95/mo.

In the end, NBTEL was unable to easily meter and let the customer easily watch their usage that they decided not to enforce the 1 GIG limit. I attended various focus groups on that and other issues regarding the Vibe service.

After HFC there was ADSL Vibe running at around 3.0mbps downstream and about 1.0mbps upstream. There was no logging in like the current PPPoE service they offer which yeilds 1.5-2.0mbps down and ~640kbps up for regular speed.

18mbps is great but no one can send to you at that speed, though your combined speed from many peer-peer downloading programs such as B**t***ent or Lime***e could eventually add up to it if your connection doesn't get freaked out and reset.

If anyone gets the 18mbps service, use it hard for a few months and post a write up on it for us.

dan j
09-15-2007, 12:34 AM
Yeah no caps.

Just loads of downtime, lol.

I myself like rogers for the reason that my IP is static and not dynamic.

Although I'm biased I have had Aliant HS for many years with and not with the company and have never had any downtime.

The rumours of higher speeds from Aliant are true but it'll be awhile before SJ gets this service and even then you'd probably only be 1 KM from your CO. St. John's, NL has 10 Mb/sec right now in some areas, ramping up to 15 Mb/sec next year. If it works well it'll roll out to other centres across Atlantic Canada (mainly areas where Aliant TV is. In SJ that would be around the Air Canada/Aliant building in Millidgeville, around the Open Door Club on Duke St, Gilford St and area, the Killam Buildings off of Westmorland Rd(I forget their names) and maybe some other areas). Basically, in these areas Fibre to the Node is the goal; FTTN. I think Moncton has a lot of sites in development for this right now with SJ and Fredericton not far behind.

All things aside, the "top speed" and the actual speed differ for every ISP regardless of who they are. Cable has its advantages and disadvantages and the same for DSL.