PDA

View Full Version : What're the odds???

MrsBeasley
07-12-2007, 09:06 PM
....Of two budgies being found outside two to three weeks apart and brought into the same animal hospital and left there. The first one arrived in a cage. What're the odds someone finds a budgie in their backyard and just so happens to have a cage to bring it in and leaves the cage.

Tonight someone pounded on our door shortly after we closed and said this budgie had landed on their head. After being informed of there being a fee to drop off the bird, asked a fellow employee to hold the bird and then took off.

Meanwhile, I'm at home finishing supper and get a call to see if I could "foster" this new bird. Even though I already have a houseful with three budgies (two babies and the previously "found" one), two adult cockatiels and one baby, a pair of lovebirds, two large dogs, one cat and a toddler (2 yrs) I agree to "foster" this new budgie. The budgie is dropped off to me. Upon picking up the poor thing, there is no way this poor thing could've landed on a rooftop let alone someone's head.

The bird is emaciated and weak, eys half closed, her feathers are all fluffed up. I have it now in the bathroom with the door closed, on a hotwater bottle with an electric heating pad under that, a towel over the cage and a humidifier blasting moist air into the cage.

Update: I just checked and the bird was savagely eating the seeds I sprinkled on the towel so I moved the bowls closer.

I just find it awfully fishy that two "stray" budgies are found so close together and brought to the same animal hospital.

Vix
07-12-2007, 09:34 PM
You must be a very special person to take these animals in and give them the love and attention they deserve. It does sound like someone either can't or doesn't want them anymore and is trying to do the right thing and get them to someone that will love them like they deserve. I hope the little guy gets better and comes out of this much healthier and please let us know how he makes out. Thank you so much for the love and care you give to these animals...it means the world to them. ;)

Vix

Atchbe
07-12-2007, 09:48 PM
That's not so strange, the owner perhaps was having difficulty dealing with the illness and "decided" to drop off at a Vet clinic. Many people feel the need to lie because they feel guilty they are unable to properly care or afford to care for their pets when they are sick. Sometimes in their minds they feel they did the right thing and the birds are now being looked after. If the birds were dropped off because they owner was unable to care for them. Then at least it shows they cared enough to want the birds to get the best care they couldn't afford.

I hope your able to help the poor little tykes along. I'm sure with your care they will be as good as new in no time.

jdcb
07-12-2007, 10:33 PM
My mom found a cat in the middle of the road near St. Stephen (yes, she found the cat, she still has the one she owns) with both it's hind legs broken. She decided to do the right thing and call in late for work with out pay to take the animal to the vet immediately. The vet wanted to charge her like $50 for dropping off the pet. My mom re-explained what happened and refused.

Three days later they called my mom and had asked what kind of treatment she would like for the animal. THEY LET THE CAT SIT THERE FOR 3 DAYS WITHOUT EVEN SETTING THE BONE OR PAIN MEDS!!!

Some oath...

dittydottie
07-13-2007, 07:04 AM
When it comes to a budgie bird how can it be so hard for a person.I have 2 and they are fed,given water and treats,and caged cleaned. I have heard of people being allergic to them.As a matter of fact I got my 2 budgies from right here on isaintjohn after my other 2 died .(I had the other 2 about 4 years)Maybe that is why they did what they did.They said they were found because they did not have the fee to pay for taking them there.

Atchbe
07-13-2007, 01:31 PM
jdcb, that is horrible for that poor cat! I can't imagine anyone especially a Vet clinic letting an animal sit in pain like that.

I thought Vet's had an oath they took and are supposed to follow.

The oath states: “As a member of the veterinary medical profession, I solemnly swear that I will use my scientific knowledge and skills for the benefit of society. I will strive to promote animal health and welfare, relieve animal suffering, protect the health of the public and environment, and advance comparative medical knowledge. I will practise my profession conscientiously, with dignity, and in keeping with the principles of veterinary medical ethics. I will strive continuously to improve my professional knowledge and competence and to maintain the highest professional and ethical standards for myself and the profession”

Then again I read on this site that Canadian Vet's do not take an oath like their british colleagues.
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1524840