PDA

View Full Version : Home Schooling

Lemme_LQQK
01-01-2007, 05:30 PM
I recently found out that someone I know is home schooling their child.
I was like "huh"? I have heard the term before but never put much stock in it. I asked what circumstances would promote a child to be home schooled , some of the reasons I heard sounded pretty flimsy.

I was told the child in question wasn't learning (child had anxiety attacks ) while in school , so the parents took it upon themselves to keep the child home ( grade 9 student) and teach there.

It was also explained to me that periodically the child was tested and the results were submitted to the school board.

I also learned that a child/teen that just doesn't want to be in school can also be home schooled.

I guess my question is , Can this be right?
If the child doesn't want to learn while in school what is going to make it any better at home?

What ever happened to the day of the "truent officer" from the school board.

puppyluv
01-01-2007, 05:46 PM
A good friend of mine has his 3 children being home schooled. These children are bright, well socialized and one will be going to University this coming year! :)
I think sometimes the school system that we have does not allow for individual learnings ways, etc..and we have seen now that there are so many different ways of learning...some times a class full of kids just ins't what helps.

Misty589
01-01-2007, 06:36 PM
I know ALOT of people who homeschool (not locally) right from kindergarten until the children are ready to go to university. In places that are more accepting of differance there are even homeschool groups where homeschooled kids get together for field trips, socialization ect. If I were a little more self motivated it would be the route I would take as well.
There are even people who "Unschool" which is where there is no formal sit down lessons at all and the children learn through life and curiosity as they are ready (I am sure they are subjected to some kind of standardized test by the government) Instead of reading a math book about fractions you could bake a batch of cookies, but make it a half batch therefore dividing fractions, or instead of looking a book of trees you could go on a nature walk and see some in person. I think its a cool idea becasue humans naturally want to learn (think about toddlers :))
Obviously it is not for everyone but it works great for some. as for is it "right" of course it is for some people every set of parents nurture their children differantly because families have differant personalities/values/expectations ect :)

aiden
01-01-2007, 11:29 PM
My neighbour's children are home school..And although they seem inteligent, they lack social skills, in this case there is more than one child and they range from teenages to a toddler..When speaking to the children..it seems they are lacking quite a bit a social skills..other than going to their church, i dont think they interact with others.. it seems to that the older ones act like the little ones..On occasion i had seen them doing some worried things to pass time, For instance, After a rain , the father went in front of their house got in their van..started down the road..so it could pick up speed the splash the children on the side of the road..LOL..Also it seems to be that they are always outside playing..I would like to know when there are actually doing class work..becouse it dosent seem that they are in the house very often..( I know this is not the case for all home school, This is just the case in which i see happening)..But when these children go off to go the university or which ever, I think they are going to be completely shocked, where as they have been sooo sheltered.. But like i say, I know this is not the case for all..

arz
01-02-2007, 03:56 AM
I know of someone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Demaine) who was homeschooled and then went on to become a professor at MIT at the age of 20.

The public school system is far from perfect, so there are definitely kids that are better off with an alternative.

tred816
01-02-2007, 12:25 PM
My cousins were home schooled and turned out ok. We wondered how they'd do when they were young, but both are adults now and are socially more grown up that many other young adults lol.

My belief is that in order to be home schooled, the educating parent should have to prove the child is being educated by having testing done each year that the child has to pass in order to continue being home schooled.

I heard on Oprah that there's also another version of Home-Schooling, which is called Non-Schooling where the parents basically don't teach the kids anything they'd learn in school. Instead, they go places like the zoo, museums and other such places and learn by living rather than by books. In my opinion, Non-Schooling is irresponsible and I fear for the kids in these environments as they aren't learning enough to advance in life.

There should be stricter regulations regarding both of these choices.

Misty589
01-02-2007, 01:50 PM
My cousins were home schooled and turned out ok. We wondered how they'd do when they were young, but both are adults now and are socially more grown up that many other young adults lol.

My belief is that in order to be home schooled, the educating parent should have to prove the child is being educated by having testing done each year that the child has to pass in order to continue being home schooled.

I heard on Oprah that there's also another version of Home-Schooling, which is called Non-Schooling where the parents basically don't teach the kids anything they'd learn in school. Instead, they go places like the zoo, museums and other such places and learn by living rather than by books. In my opinion, Non-Schooling is irresponsible and I fear for the kids in these environments as they aren't learning enough to advance in life.

There should be stricter regulations regarding both of these choices.

I think that if Un-schooling or Non-schooling is done in an appropriate way by a responsible parent it is fine. Just because there are no formal lessons doesnt mean that the parents aren't planning their day around learning. I figure if there are parents that don't or can't be bothered with their childrens education then they would just send them to public school to get them out of their hair for a few hours of the day.

jdcb
01-03-2007, 07:04 AM
My neice's are home schooled. She almost got kicked out of grade 1 and 2 for causing trouble. She knew everything being taught and was extremely bored all day. We all wanted her to skip grade two at least as she was doing everything at least on a grade 3 level, some things grade 4, but school board wouldn't allow it. When she was in grade 2 or 3 I bought her those question card thingies, ('something'quest???), and got her the grade 5 ones...

jdcb
01-03-2007, 07:08 AM
The public school system is far from perfect...

I know, it seems to adopt the "all people born equal" philosophy.

trinity
01-05-2007, 05:55 PM
As a substitute teacher who no longer wants to be a classroom teacher because of what I have seen, I think home schooling is a great option, as long as there is a committed adult willing to make the effort to ensure learning happens and the kids dont spend all day watching cartoons or surfing the net.
Too much time is wasted in the public system on discipline and breaks-for heavens sake, a 15 minute recess stretches into 45 when you add in snacks, coats, line ups to go out, to come in, coats and boots off, bathroom break etc. I bet the average grade 1-4 child actually gets only about 90-120 minutes a day actual instruction time in a 5-6 hr day, what with time spent traveling to and from french, art, gym, music, then milk money collection, milk distribution, lunch, clean up, bathroom breaks, lining up, listening to announcements...it's unreal. No wonder some kids get bored.

I knew of a woman who was not quite all there who told the School board she was home schooling because she felt it was "better" for the children. The truth was, it was too much bother for her to get the 2 kids ready for school and to school every day and pick them up. She felt that home schooling was her ticket out of getting up early, making lunches, walking them to and from school (no car), putting up with complaint calls from the teachers about her children's delayed development and innapropriate behaviour etc. Then she complained that the school board "kept calling and calling, asking for progress reports and sending her forms" and "wouldn't leave her alone" so she lied and told them they were moving out of province to make them stop bothering her. When she said that, let me tell you, there were probably 6 or 8 people in the neighborhood that called Child Protection services and they were back in school the next fall. In this case, home schooling was a BAD idea because the mother herself was not competent enough to arrange actual learning experiences for these two kids..they would have ended up 18 years old unable to read or think even, and probably so socially challenged that they would have to live in a group home.

There does need to be a system of checks and balances, while you don't need a university degree yourself to teach your kids, you do need to be willing to be accountable, test-wise or else your kids could be shortchanged if they ever try to get into university or community college. From what I have heard though, I highly recommend the local home schooling association, they provide the needed social interaction for the children and the support for the caregiver too.

jdcb
01-05-2007, 06:35 PM
good post...

Corinne
01-06-2007, 09:57 PM
A good friend of mine has decided to home school her 11 year ols son this year...He has been diagnosed with ADHD and she has tried medicating him, however she doesn't believe in it and has decided to keep him home and off the meds. The school doesn't want him unless he is medicated. So far it has been working wonders.
In her circumstance I completly support her decision. However she is a very smart woman and is very diciplined with her children. She also has her son involved in many after school activities so he is still socializing with other children.

wildberry
01-06-2007, 11:02 PM
I go to school(upgrading)with a girl who was home schooled. I have a feeling she might be from the family aiden was referring to. She comes form a very large family, and all children were/are home school. She is upgrading her marks and preparing herself for university. She is very intelligent, and is also a very sweet girl. I say kudos the the mother of that family, seems like she has done a wonderful job!

Cherry Pop
01-07-2007, 02:04 PM
I wish I could home school my daughter. She is extremely smart and does well in school. But since she is so tiny for her age, she gets bullied all the time. The school will do nothing about it. I think home schooling would be best for her but unfortunately with our situation it can't be done.

melliek
01-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Home schooling is a touchy subject I think because my brothers children (he and their mother are now seperated) are being home schooled by their mother and they do not recieve any interaction with other children (hence another reason why children should be in public schools...they learn how to interact with others) , they only recieve a couple hours of schooling a day, and, to top things off, they have not had any reviews from the school board in over a year. There has been no testing done to see if they are educationly where they should be for their age. Hmmm....this doesnt seem right to me...

trinity
01-08-2007, 07:29 AM
1. Public school children only get a minimal number of hours of actual instruction per day, as per my original post. If a child gets 3 solid hours a day of education work at home, they are getting as much or more than if they were in school for 6 hours.
2. If you are still on good terms with your sister in law, find some info on the home schooling organization in the area, maybe she doesn't know much about it. Print it out and give it to her. Suggest that she could even send them to an afterschool program at the Y or a daycare for a hour or two a day.
3. if you think the children are getting shortchanged, call Protection Services, neglecting them in this way is covered.

melliek
01-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Actually...there is nothing good left between the family and her. All of her choices are due to a religous belief on her part. She knows all of what is expected of her but will not put the children with other children who are not of the same faith. As far as calling protection services...we are not allowed to step in and make a complaint (the family). They are all going thru a big legal battle right now and my bro tried to get the judge to rule that they be put in public school and he wouldnt do it.....so...here we are still!
Thank you for your input tho!

sjguy1962
02-16-2007, 03:43 PM
I have heard many good things about home schooling for children with difficulties and extremely bright ones. The public school system is geared to the learning curve of the general masses and if your child is on either side of that curve it may well be a better learning environment for the child. I think it is great the world is finally realizing we are not all the same. I personally have felt that the public school system is becoming less and less effective in developing our children's academic and cognitive skills and more like a grown up version of daycare

jaxon
02-16-2007, 09:49 PM
i think home schooling would be great as long as the kids partake in extra curriculars like sports and live in neighbourhoods where they see lots of other children, but if a child is triving at school, or is home schooled and longs to go to school, school should be an option. glad to see alot of positives. this was a very touchy issue with alot of closed minded people on both sides not to long ago.

snuggles29
06-08-2007, 01:44 AM
I've been homeschooling my son for 2 years now. I think it is great and so does he.
He is doing very well and advancing wonderfully.
He partakes in alot of out side activities such as the boys and girls club in the summer and other summer day camps and events.
It's not easy teaching but I believe it is better off in the long run for my son. He gets the extra help that he needs when needed.
The Public schools here in the city were unable to give him the help and time that he needed with certain subjects ...He does much better now than he evere did in the public school.

trinity
06-08-2007, 02:20 AM
(hence another reason why children should be in public schools...they learn how to interact with others)...

I would just like to say that going to public school is no guarantee of learning how to interact, I had a horrible time all through school, I would not talk to anyone for the most part except for one or two friends, and some years I had no friend in my class at all, even into university I didn't socialize much, I didn't know how. I did not learn my social skills from school, school was a place that I put my head down, shut up , and didn't make eye contact so no one would make fun of me or harass me on the way to and from school or in the school yard.
PS that didn't work, until at least Gr 11 school was a nightmare for me to walk in the door, wait for the bus, etc.

Flaxie
06-08-2007, 06:34 AM
I would just like to say that going to public school is no guarantee of learning how to interact

That is so true Trinity!!
Socialization needs to be taught at home, it does not come naturally to all children. My oldest child is 14. When she was born I was young and not broadminded enough to see that moving around alot would have an impact on her. (We settled down when she was 6) My daughter is extremely bright but has no social skills to speak of. Life is a struggle for her everyday. Everyone who meets her thinks she is a sweet wonderful girl. But unfortunately she tried too hard and self sabotages all the time. She is in therapy and we are exploring many options to help her.

In hindsight had I settled into a community and homeschooled her with proper support through social activites I am sure that she would be a much more balanced and happy person.

What I would love to see here in NB is a montessori school. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montessori_school They have them in ON and the children I know involved in them are amazing, bright, happy individuals.

mizunderstood
06-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Thanks Flaxie for the info on montessori schools.. I saw them EVERYWHERE in ontario while I was up there and no one could explain what the heck they were to me. Now that I have read a little more about them I think they are a great idea.. wonder why nb doesnt have them?

commkathy
07-22-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm not trashing homeschool at all but I think parent has to be willing and able to put a lot of time into it. I know 3 children, same family, who were all home schooled. The one who was in grade 11 had a hard time adding up bowling scores and none of them had any social skills at all....it's a shame when it's done so poorly.

kr73
08-30-2007, 08:28 AM
My neice's are home schooled. She almost got kicked out of grade 1 and 2 for causing trouble. She knew everything being taught and was extremely bored all day. We all wanted her to skip grade two at least as she was doing everything at least on a grade 3 level, some things grade 4, but school board wouldn't allow it. When she was in grade 2 or 3 I bought her those question card thingies, ('something'quest???), and got her the grade 5 ones...

The school board factors in a multitude of things aside from intelligence when deciding to skip a child ahead a grade. My son was assessed and observed when he was 7 (in grade 2) and was testing at a grade 5 level academically. He was observed extensively in the classroom and the psychologist got to see how he interacted with kids his own age, his teachers and kids who were older than him. After a lot of hard work on the part of the teachers, administrators and myself the decision was made to skip him ahead one grade level. It's still not something that I'm totally comfortable with but it seems to be working.

The bottom line is YOU have to be an advocate for your child. If he/she is not getting the education you feel they deserve YOU have to take control and find a solution. Homeschooling, public school, private school are all only as good as you make them. In the end we as parents play the most important role in our children's education.