PDA

View Full Version : Interesting note....just noticed

JustWatching
07-10-2007, 01:59 PM
There are more posts (in only a 1/3 of the time) regarding a parking spot than over poverty in the city....Now before anyone gets on a roll....I'm aware that people can talk/post about whatever they choose....

I don't know....just found that...kind of...interesting...

RobinHood
07-10-2007, 02:46 PM
There are more posts (in only a 1/3 of the time) regarding a parking spot than over poverty in the city....Now before anyone gets on a roll....I'm aware that people can talk/post about whatever they choose....

People living in poverty often can't afford PCs to post complaints. People with cars to park often have enough money to buy PCs?

...errr... sorry... British "humour" again.

lizard_lover
07-10-2007, 02:50 PM
I agree...but personally, I am more worried about the poverty in africa...like as far as the poverty here...like everyone has a choice...to one degreee or another...we have the resources, just some people choose the way they go...and I don't mean everyone...not ALWAYS someone has the option in whether or not they live in poverty...but the people I know in poverty, are people who are lazy, had kids, and are too content being able to sit around on their butts on welfare than actually get a job...(again, not everyone, just the ones I know) but the people in Africe...they have nothing from birth....their country is being held in poverty by countries with power...but yeah, I know...people's priorities eh?

sanstu
07-10-2007, 03:02 PM
I agree...but personally, I am more worried about the poverty in africa...like as far as the poverty here...like everyone has a choice...to one degreee or another...we have the resources, just some people choose the way they go...and I don't mean everyone...not ALWAYS someone has the option in whether or not they live in poverty...but the people I know in poverty, are people who are lazy, had kids, and are too content being able to sit around on their butts on welfare than actually get a job...(again, not everyone, just the ones I know) but the people in Africe...they have nothing from birth....their country is being held in poverty by countries with power...but yeah, I know...people's priorities eh?

Gotta disagree on this one. Minimum wage has not kept up with inflation. I think given the choice no one would choose to live in poverty. Poverty isn't just about welfare. there are far too many working poor. PS could it be easier to be concerned with poverty in Africa because it is so far removed from your own comfort zone?

lizard_lover
07-10-2007, 03:12 PM
i get your point...but the reason i put mine that way was lack of a better word. and no, i care about poverty there because not a whole lot of other people do. I have a couple sponsored kids, and I have also been accepted to numerous programs to go to places like ecuador and kenya to do rainforest rehabilitation, teaching kids, etc...but the only thing is (tying back to my original point) I need to raise over 5000$ to go...and do you think anyone will give me money to be able to go? absolutely not...they all tell me "enough people are doing their thing for them..." or "why would I help people in another country..." or "why not worry about your own damn city..." and other junk like that...that is sort of what i am talking about

MezMaRi
07-10-2007, 04:03 PM
I find that a lot of people especially in Saint John do not realize how much poverty there is in Canada. There are 40,000 Homeless people in Toronto and MANY of them are youths. 3/4 of them do not choose the homeless lifestyle and Saint John I feel is a bit arrogant in the fact that we see a couple of people sleeping in the Royal Bank uptown and there is a huge discussion over what should be done to get them the heck out of there.

The AIDS problem in Africa goes right along with why they live in Poverty. You can't teach an old dog new tricks as they saying goes and until you teach the african men about harm reduction/contraceptives Aids is NOT going to stop spreading and Poverty just goes along with such an illness. No matter how many millions of dollars we send these children the problem will not be fixed. It's going to take generations!!!! Unfortunately these people are suffering tremendously but so are people in this nation. They live in conditions without running water, toilet facilities, and food. There are people living in 3rd world conditions right in our own country. Take care of your own!!

Cherry Pop
07-10-2007, 05:31 PM

I disagree with you saying people living here have a choice to live in poverty. Using myself as an example, I use to work two jobs and go to college fulltime. I'm a single mother. I bought myself a car, nice furniture, heck I had it made! I worked hard for my money! Then I got sick, real sick so sick I almost died. Guess what I had to go on Assitance because I couldn't work. I've had 12 major surgeries with another one on the way sometime this fall! I now live in poverty! I stress each month how I will pay my bills and buy my food on the little amount I am given by the government not to mention that I have a $600 bill a month for medical supplies that I need in order to live, Did I choose to live this way, heck NO!! Now that all being said, I am better off being poor in Canada than people in other countries because I do have shelter, nice furniture, a car etc. I am very fortunate to have been born in Canada where if I get sick and have nowhere to turn, the government will help me.

Oh and by the way I have a pc because a wonderful person gave it to me!

Cherry Pop
07-10-2007, 05:35 PM

I would also like to add that I find this very interesting as well. It shows the lack of compassion people have in this city/society! Man if my biggest concern was over a parking spot I'm telling you, I'd have it made.

ASortaSweetart
07-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Sometimes you want to post about something of substance and conviction and sometimes you just want to rant about nothing because it feels good to get that out. Using the internet as an outlet is better than dragging a person out of their car and beating them while screaming in a rage because you kept it in...(for example!):rolleyes:

As far as I know there are a lot more aid and agencies involved directly with helping Africa than helping the poor and working poor of Saint John, NB. I do not think anyone chooses of sound mind to become poor and I do not think there is an easy way out.

Society is always going to want to keep the rich rich and the poor poor.

While we are on the subject of society and our own poverty...ever notice how healthy food is more expensive than unhealthy food. That is not right! Considering it is those who are poor that would have the hardest time dealing with a medical condition and poor nutrition opens you up for a lot. Not to mention the stress and depression that goes along with living in poverty.

I have taken in single mothers on "welfare" to board in my home and not one of them thought it was a permanent situation, but a transition. It was not an easy one either and I know not everyone has someone they can turn to when they need help. Feeling alone and trapped (whether it be imagined or not) can really hinder a person in bettering themselves. Your state of mind has a lot to do with what you can accomplish.

When my sister first had her son she couldn't return to her job because of postpartum depression. Her husband lost his job too(missing so much time caring for her and their child). They were living away from friends and family they had known their whole lives so there wasn't anyone to help with their children. This occurred before a lot of people were educated about the presence of postpartum depression so I am sure a lot of people thought they were just being lazy. They had to go on income assistance before she ended up getting back on her feet. That was a while ago and she has been healthy ever since and has kept control of her depression even though she has more children(on a happier note).

lizard_lover
07-10-2007, 06:10 PM
ok...that all did come out wrong...I know that people who are in poverty don't choose it...heck, why would you? I was just stating that I know a couple of women who have multiple kids to get the money for them, but refuse to go to work. I also have an uncle who (now not 100% sure about the situation) has 1 wife (i think another one is his wife, maybe gf), and 1 girlfriend....maybe 2, not sure if he still has 2. The one I am not sure whether or not she is his wife or not is 44 or 45, and she recently had a baby. Now, she is from across seas, so she does not know much of our culture. while in the hospital after giving birth, my uncle had her sign some papers to give complete custody over to him. Now, these two do not live together, but they do live in the same house (the house has 2 sides, or apts.) so he is not working, has no money, is a complete dink to me and my mother, but yet he is getting money for this kid, but the baby lives on the other side with his mother...like I said, not 100% sure of the situation, or where it is at the moment, but that is about it. He is educated, had good jobs, but chose to be a jerk and go this route. I know that there are people who are in poverty and do not choose it. Heck, for years my mom, my brother and I were. My mom got in a bad car accident, messed up her spine. She is on disability. We were getting 1000$ a month...that was it. To feed two kids, herself, pay for her physiotherapy each week, and rent in our apt. I had to get a job to help support. So trust me, I know it is not always chosen...but I am just saying...with enough pushing, we can get help from the government or family sometimes....people in africa do not. And yes, the AIDS epidemic is out of control and a part of their issues...but they do not always know when they have it, and because of the lack of jobs, they need to have kids to work to get money...i don't know. maybe i am crazy, but those are just my feelings...

ASortaSweetart
07-10-2007, 07:04 PM
ok...that all did come out wrong...I know that people who are in poverty don't choose it...heck, why would you? I was just stating that I know a couple of women who have multiple kids to get the money for them, but refuse to go to work. I also have an uncle who (now not 100% sure about the situation) has 1 wife (i think another one is his wife, maybe gf), and 1 girlfriend....maybe 2, not sure if he still has 2. The one I am not sure whether or not she is his wife or not is 44 or 45, and she recently had a baby. Now, she is from across seas, so she does not know much of our culture. while in the hospital after giving birth, my uncle had her sign some papers to give complete custody over to him. Now, these two do not live together, but they do live in the same house (the house has 2 sides, or apts.) so he is not working, has no money, is a complete dink to me and my mother, but yet he is getting money for this kid, but the baby lives on the other side with his mother...like I said, not 100% sure of the situation, or where it is at the moment, but that is about it. He is educated, had good jobs, but chose to be a jerk and go this route. I know that there are people who are in poverty and do not choose it. Heck, for years my mom, my brother and I were. My mom got in a bad car accident, messed up her spine. She is on disability. We were getting 1000$ a month...that was it. To feed two kids, herself, pay for her physiotherapy each week, and rent in our apt. I had to get a job to help support. So trust me, I know it is not always chosen...but I am just saying...with enough pushing, we can get help from the government or family sometimes....people in africa do not. And yes, the AIDS epidemic is out of control and a part of their issues...but they do not always know when they have it, and because of the lack of jobs, they need to have kids to work to get money...i don't know. maybe i am crazy, but those are just my feelings...
No argument that people need help in Africa and that the government does not help it's people. If you have the conviction to go to Africa and do some good then that is excellent. What a wonderful way to contribute to the world and it is quite selfless as well...

However some people feel like Africa is too big a problem for them to take on and if so there is a lot of work to be done here as well. Like if I tried to think of things on such a large scale my head would explode. I am not cut out for the travel or the enormity of the problem. I am more comfortable helping close to home on a smaller scale I guess, but still contributing

I was not trying to disregard the work you want to do in Africa, it is surely needed.

I think we should all help when can and take help when it is offered and we need it (in general every day life).;)

oh and I agree that seeing your child as a pay cheque is terrible.:(

JustWatching
07-10-2007, 07:24 PM
People living in poverty often can't afford PCs to post complaints. People with cars to park often have enough money to buy PCs?

Very Cute....:rofl:

ASortaSweetart
07-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Some things I found on a web site:
Current statistics indicate that 374,000 families and 477,000 individuals that are full time wage earners are poor in Canada. Many more work part-time or shift work and are still unable to make ends meet. Communities throughout the world have begun to lobby on behalf of these “working poor” through initiatives such as Living Wage movements. One approach that communities are increasingly looking to in order to address this challenge is to encourage and support regional employers to pay better wages and employ progressive human resource practices. There appears to be at least two distinct approaches communities can use in their efforts:
A regulatory approach in which local collaborations “advocate” that regional employers pay better wages by lobbying large public (sometimes private) employers – such as municipalities and post-secondary institutions – to pass bylaws or policies that require themselves and contractors to pay a wage above the poverty line.
A voluntary approach in which local collaborations “encourage” regional employers to voluntarily improve their overall workplace practices – including wages and benefits – through a variety of engagement and social marketing techniques that highlight the benefits of better workplace practices and share practical ways they can employ such practices.From:http://tamarackcommunity.ca/g2s323.html

Also:

http://tamarackcommunity.ca/g2s28.html#key
Six key elements guide the working groups and committees as they further develop and implement the poverty reduction strategy:
Engage community leadership in a network committed to achieve the poverty reduction goal.
Help people move forward in their journey out of poverty through advocacy and different forms of mentoring.
Strengthen the collective capacity of the community to invest in children and youth, ensure access to education leading to sustainable employment, and promote safe and affordable housing and neighbourhoods.
Measure impact by evaluating what works and documenting the key learnings.
Communicate the community’s learning and progress both internally to the network and externally to the community.
Champion continuous engagement, learning and improvement in poverty reduction efforts in the community.Saint John’s Poverty Reduction Strategy focuses on four key areas:
Investing In Children And Youth - Promoting greater investments in early childhood development, inner city schools, after-school recreational opportunities, inclusive policies and practices for all children and youth, and caring adult Mentors.
Ensuring Access To Education Through To Employment - Supporting improved transitional and mentoring supports and quality educational opportunities for adults to achieve a high school diploma and prepare for continuing educational opportunities or employment that offers a living wage.
Promoting Safe And Affordable Housing - Rebuilding of inner city neighbourhoods to achieve a mixed income blend while offering safe and affordable housing options for low-income families
Positioning our Strategy in Neighbourhoods - Positioning our strategies in vulnerable neighbourhoods by providing families with opportunities, support and hope for their future and enabling residents to take a lead role in changing their communities.In the State of the Province address, Premier Lord announces five goals to be achieved in five years. One of the goals is: “New Brunswick, the inclusive province: Within five years, I want New Brunswick to have the biggest reduction of poverty rate in Canada ” (February 2006)

I just thought someone may find that info inspiring or enlightening. I am not affiliated with that organization.

ASortaSweetart
07-10-2007, 08:12 PM
Also I just read this survey from 2006 done by the members of Crescent Valley Community and the results were shocking. To know Saint Johners are living in fear and without proper health care or hope is terrible
http://tamarackcommunity.ca/downloads/vc/SJ_CV_health_survey_results06.pdf

It really shows that your average mother on welfare wants to better herself and get off the system, and it also shows you the many many struggles they have to overcome to do so.

I can not believe that children walk to school for fear of being "knifed" and that no on will say anything for fear of being a "rat". Saint John has segregated it's most vulnerable community so that it has become "ghetto-like". Not in terms of the slang, but as through history a poverished neighborhood being closed off to such things as high schools, health care, social programs, outreach networks, and even havens for those suffering from domestic abuse.

crydaga
07-10-2007, 08:48 PM

The British are coming; the British are coming.

I nominate Robinhood for mayor
R U here yet ;)

I just found your post about your visit lol

Flaxie
07-11-2007, 07:20 AM
i get your point...but the reason i put mine that way was lack of a better word. and no, i care about poverty there because not a whole lot of other people do. I have a couple sponsored kids, and I have also been accepted to numerous programs to go to places like ecuador and kenya to do rainforest rehabilitation, teaching kids, etc...but the only thing is (tying back to my original point) I need to raise over 5000$ to go...and do you think anyone will give me money to be able to go? absolutely not...they all tell me "enough people are doing their thing for them..." or "why would I help people in another country..." or "why not worry about your own damn city..." and other junk like that...that is sort of what i am talking about

Hmmm What have you done to raise these funds?
Your saying that no one will "give" it to you. You need to earn it through hard work and effort. Now please don't think that I think you have not tried. I'm sure you have. My concern is that perhaps you have not gone about it the right way.
If you want to discuss ways to get some results in fund raising pm me. If you can back up what you need with substantial proof Saint John will get you there.

RobinHood
07-11-2007, 01:34 PM
The British are coming; the British are coming.

I nominate Robinhood for mayor
R U here yet ;)

I just found your post about your visit lol

Unfortunately - still stuck in the UK - waiting for my house to sell :(

I'll have a go at being mayor - can't be that hard a job. My first act as fake mayor is to give free ice-cream and 5 weeks paid holiday for all Saint Johners'!*

*On condition you promise to drink proper tea.

beckettjag
07-11-2007, 05:44 PM

Different things are important to different people.Everyone is at different stages in their life.I pay tax's I give to charities I volunteer and I have a sponsor child.I also work full time and pay tax's, poverty in the city is on my mind.But you know what sometimes a parking spot to me is important I can't bend over backwards for everyone in the city who doesn't work or chosses not to.comment all you want on this, I'm tired of being pregnant (2 weeks to go) maybe some angry comments will send me into labour doing me a favour :)

j_a_cormier
07-30-2007, 11:13 PM
fI'll have a go at being mayor - can't be that hard a job. My first act as fake mayor is to give free ice-cream and 5 weeks paid holiday for all Saint Johners'!*

hey id drink anything for 5 weeks paid vacation lol

The_Dave
07-31-2007, 01:59 PM
There are not enough organizations helping the poor here in our Country because there is no money to be made doing it. Most, but not all organizations that help poor in other Countries do it to make money. It is a business to them and they only need to give a very small percentage of what they raise to the actual cause to be considered legit. It is a shame and a scam in most cases, that is why I do not donate or contribute to these organizations. I contribute to LOCAL organizations only, so I know almost evey penny I give after administrative costs will go directly into my community.

CM
07-31-2007, 07:11 PM
Unfortunately - still stuck in the UK - waiting for my house to sell :(

I'll have a go at being mayor - can't be that hard a job. My first act as fake mayor is to give free ice-cream and 5 weeks paid holiday for all Saint Johners'!*

I would drink the proper tea, but you would have to bring it with you from the UK. I find it hard to find good tea around here. I used to buy the extra strong tea from Marks and Spencer when they used to have a store here in Saint John, but alas, that is no more.

babydoll101
07-31-2007, 08:05 PM
I disagree with you saying people living here have a choice to live in poverty. Using myself as an example, I use to work two jobs and go to college fulltime. I'm a single mother. I bought myself a car, nice furniture, heck I had it made! I worked hard for my money! Then I got sick, real sick so sick I almost died. Guess what I had to go on Assitance because I couldn't work. I've had 12 major surgeries with another one on the way sometime this fall! I now live in poverty! I stress each month how I will pay my bills and buy my food on the little amount I am given by the government not to mention that I have a $600 bill a month for medical supplies that I need in order to live, Did I choose to live this way, heck NO!! Now that all being said, I am better off being poor in Canada than people in other countries because I do have shelter, nice furniture, a car etc. I am very fortunate to have been born in Canada where if I get sick and have nowhere to turn, the government will help me.

Oh and by the way I have a pc because a wonderful person gave it to me!

I never thought to think about your situation until now. It is a shame that not being able to work makes people have to go on assistance. I don't know what it is like to be sick. I do know what it is like to have a loved one that is. Just having to stay at the hospital while your loved one is there is expensive enough. You are right there are more important things to think about other then a parking spot available for different people. I am lucky to have my health, my children, a husband that has a good paying job that makes me able to stay home with my children. I almost lost my daughter twice and I told myself I will never take anything for granted again. I hope you are doing ok and your next surgery turns out ok.

Cherry Pop
08-01-2007, 08:49 PM
I never thought to think about your situation until now. It is a shame that not being able to work makes people have to go on assistance. I don't know what it is like to be sick. I do know what it is like to have a loved one that is. Just having to stay at the hospital while your loved one is there is expensive enough. You are right there are more important things to think about other then a parking spot available for different people. I am lucky to have my health, my children, a husband that has a good paying job that makes me able to stay home with my children. I almost lost my daughter twice and I told myself I will never take anything for granted again. I hope you are doing ok and your next surgery turns out ok.

Thank you! If I wasn't so young when I got sick, I probably would have been working at a better job and got disability benefits which would have been better than assistance but c'est la vie. What can I do. I agree totally that it's expensive for the family of someone who is in the hospital. My next surgery which will be in the fall sometime, ( I have yet to get an exact date, oh our wonderful healthcare system) I have to be in the hospital for 2 weeks straight afterwards (I can hardly wait) and my mother will have to come out to help me everyday which gets expensive when you consider how much the parking costs and the price of gas.