PDA

View Full Version : Teething and Fever - Myth or Fact?

Lady_Athena
07-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Hello I am posting this for my sister in law. Her 18 month old son has a fever of about 102 and has been crying for the past three hours. The only thing we can figure out is that he is teething as we can see that he has some large ones starting to poke up in the back, he also has a typical teething rash on his face which he had before when his first sets of teeth came in.

She gave him a dose of tylenol and a cold cloth to suck on, but it hasn't seemed to help. Any tips on how to relieve his discomfort? We tried rocking him, walking around, playing, laying him on her chest and rocking him back and fourth...he also seems exhausted...poor guy.

Also in prenatal classes she was told teething would not cause a fever, but there doesn't seem to be anything else that could be causing it. No one else is sick with a cold or flu and he is not in day care and has not been exposed to anyone who seemed sick.

Anyways any help or advice would be appreciated. Please reply via PM

Send a private message to Lady_Athena (http://www.isaintjohn.com/classifieds/private.php?do=newpm&u=13767)

If that link does not work you can click on my name in the Post's Header and select send a Private Message...

Lady_Athena
07-11-2007, 06:00 PM
I just wanted to post an update that after trying all day to get him into see his doctor with no success she was advised to take him to the emergency room.

They are up there now and I am watching her other children waiting for a call.

He was still very fussy today, and crying out in pain. The fever persisted as well. We knew from your replies and our instincts that this couldn't be just teething! It is heartbreaking!

Thank you to everyone who replied and I hope I replied back to everyone by PM to thank them, if not I am going too.

I'll keep you posted and thanks everyone again.

Lady_Athena
07-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Hello I have PM's to send, but it has been a bit of one of those busy type of days so I do apologize.

The official word is that the baby has a "bit of redness" in his ears and throat. He also has large back teeth coming in. The doctor did not prescribe any medication because he said it was not serious enough too. He believed the baby's discomfort and excessive crying were a combination of lack of good sleep, pain in his ear, and pain from teething. The doctor advised us to give him lots of fluids, tylenol, and not to force him to eat if he doesn't want too.

If he is not better in a couple days we are going to bring him to his family doctor. Or maybe even tomorrow to be sure.

He has been in a much better mood today, still fussy though and easily agitated. He has bags under his eyes from not napping for the past few days! Hopefully he will have a full and excellent nights rest tonight as I think that would surely help him to feel better.