PDA

View Full Version : Help please! My puppy has the poo's :(

krista25
07-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Hey everyone. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to help my puppy get rid of the poo's. She has had the "poops" for a few hours now. And not to be gross, but it is comming out in liquid form. Does anyone have any solutions?

harbourchick07
07-08-2007, 11:50 PM
How old is the puppy. I know puppies are pron to the poops. My pup had them when i switched her food.

MrsBeasley
07-09-2007, 06:25 AM
Diarrhea can be caused by a number of different things such as parasites, viral, change in diet or the stress of moving to a new home. You can withhold it's food and water for 12 hours and then reintroduce it slowly (like a tablespoonfull at a time). This gives the gut time to settle down. If it persists or if vomiting begins then seek medical attention immediately as dehydration can be deadly to a young puppy.

krista25
07-09-2007, 07:55 AM
Thanks everyone, we think she is good now. She got up this morning and used the bathroom and everything was fine. She goes to the vet this Saturday to get her second set of shots so we will bring it up to the vet.

Misty589
07-11-2007, 05:36 PM
for poops try giving her canned pumpkin. just pure pumkin NOT the pie filling (that would make it worse i'm sure)

Atchbe
07-12-2007, 07:41 AM
I'm glad all is well. You may want to add organic natural plain yogurt can help to re-establish beneficial bacteria in the gut. Or, you can purchase probiotics give 6-12 hours apart. This is helpful after a bout of diarrhea.

Also, as Misty589 mentioned canned pumpkin is great for times when a dog has diarrhea that is not from something serious. I have had great success with slippery elm bark in the past as well. You can purchase this in the natural food section of the superstore. About 7 years ago I rescued a dog with severe behavioral issues and diarrhea as a result of stress the slippery elm bark and probiotics worked wonderful for her. I also put her on Natura's California Naturals dog food at that time as a bland food easy on her digestive tract.

Just for future reference here is a page full of articles for you to review. There are articles on rotavirus, milk products causing diarrhea (dogs should not drink milk), infectious Enteritis, coronavirus, Coccidia, Giardia etc.
http://www.peteducation.com/search_action.cfm?cls=2

krista25
07-12-2007, 09:10 AM
Thanks so much for the suggestions! I will definatley keep that in mind if it happens again! Like I said, she is going to the Vet on Sat. to get her second round of shots, so I will bring it up to the Vet to make sure it is nothing serious. We think it may be that Bella got into the cat's food. We have put it in a place where only the cats can get at it for now, and since then, she has been getting better. I never heard of the bark thing or the can pumpkin so I will definatley try that if it happens again.
Thanks again! We were so worried that something was seriously wrong.