PDA

View Full Version : Best book on child rearing I've ever read

Flaxie
07-05-2007, 08:13 AM
I've been reading alot of threads regarding disciplining our children.
Well I want ot recommend a book that I found very enlightening.

Don't give me that Attitude
by Michele Borba ed.D

We all talk about wanting children to be more respectful and show empathy. Well This book talks about how to address this. I love it! I have a 10 yr old who loves to joke around and makes very witty comments. Unfortunately she is not at the age where she understands when it is appropriate to do this. Sometimes she says things that make my eyes buldge lol. Well this book has a section entirely on that lol. Using the steps in the book I have managed to help her realize how to assess a situation and to understand when it is appropriate to tease.
(Honestly I never really thaught we had an issue until others brought it to my attention) I'm sure other parents can benefit from this book. There are 24 different behaviors this book addresses.

mommyd
07-05-2007, 08:55 AM
sounds like a good books
does it address children under 4? Or is it mainly older children

ILiveOnEarth
07-05-2007, 10:35 AM
I found a great way to bring kids up and its free. Its called "common sense" :)

wookiee
07-05-2007, 10:48 AM
I found a great way to bring kids up and its free. Its called "common sense" :)

maybe a little, but common sense is not the only "great way to raise any child". Easier said then done.
You need common sense, knowledge, guidance, instict, experiance, rouitine, proper discipline, good influences for the child. There is no one great way to raise a child. Any parent knows that.:biggrin:

It doesn't hurt to read the book if you ask me. You might find it useful or only bits of it..who knows.

ILiveOnEarth
07-05-2007, 12:14 PM
maybe a little, but common sense is not the only "great way to raise any child". Easier said then done.
You need common sense, knowledge, guidance, instict, experiance, rouitine, proper discipline, good influences for the child. There is no one great way to raise a child. Any parent knows that.:biggrin:

It doesn't hurt to read the book if you ask me. You might find it useful or only bits of it..who knows.

I was not saying the book is not good I just meant common sense is nice to have. You see some parents driving with their kid on their lap, you see them smoking in the car with infants, you see them smoking and drinking while still pregnant, you see the kids at the mall flip out and the parents just don't have a clue what to do. Common sense would help in those situations.

mommyd
07-05-2007, 08:51 PM
Anyone smoking around ANY child has NO sense, let alone common sense
lol

Flaxie
07-06-2007, 07:13 AM
sounds like a good books
does it address children under 4? Or is it mainly older children

This one is for ages 5 to 15.
But I have to tell you. By reading over the behaviors you do not want to see in your child it can give you some insight in preventing them early before you see a problem.