PDA

View Full Version : Tenant Insurance

Tara
12-31-2006, 05:49 PM
My hubby and I havent had insurance for our apt before, but we've been talking about it recently and decided it would be the best idea. We just really havent thought about it before, lol. Anyone else here have it? If so what company do you deal with, or would recommend? Do we just call for a quote? I'm sure they will just tell us next week when we start making phone calls, wouldnt mind some input though, thanks! =)

dittydottie
12-31-2006, 07:46 PM
Hi my 2 daughters have tenants insurance through Statefarm on Loch Lomond Rd(Sarah Mallory).They only pay around $15.00 a month. Give them a call on Tuesday.

Marigold
12-31-2006, 11:16 PM
I have my tenant insurance through the cooperators, but I must admit that I'm thinking of changing companies. I pay 16.17/month which covers me up to 30k. I've seen others who have posted in the past about State farm who pay a similar amount to me for double the insurance. I only went to cooperators because they had my car insurance at the time and I got a discount. I'll be calling around next week as well!

dittydottie
01-01-2007, 07:44 AM
I know the more insurance you have through Statefarm they do offer disounts. We have our vechiles,house,life and even computer insurance through them. They have different dicounts avaiable: multiple vechile,accident free,multiple insurance. Give Sarah's office a call. The staff there is great Krista & Elaine are the best to talk to.
Have a great New Year and I hope you get to save money!!

Tara
01-01-2007, 08:07 AM
Thanks a lot! I'll be calling statefarm first thing tomorrow

space
01-01-2007, 08:32 AM
I know the more insurance you have through Statefarm they do offer disounts. We have our vechiles,house,life and even computer insurance through them. They have different dicounts avaiable: multiple vechile,accident free,multiple insurance. Give Sarah's office a call. The staff there is great Krista & Elaine are the best to talk to.
Have a great New Year and I hope you get to save money!!

whats computer insurance? wouldn't that be covered under contents insurance?

Misty589
01-01-2007, 10:15 AM
The computer insurance is an accident policy, so if say your stupid doberman knocks over a big jug of kool aid in you laptop you're covered :D
ask me how i know lol
It's a good policy its 60 dollars for the year now i think

ETA its called a personal articles policy and not just for computers it could be for anything, maybe an expensive camera, or your guitar ect,

dittydottie
01-01-2007, 12:04 PM
Just cost us I think about $40.00 for the whole year. Matter of fact a couple years ago the hard drive crashed big time, they replaced the whole system pretty well because it affected other parts when it blew it blew real good. There was a bit of smoke and a bang.
Well worth the price!!

callinq
01-01-2007, 12:40 PM
Pls don't mind me asking but where do you need a tenant insurance for? I was told the landlord needs to be insured, not the tenant? Am I wrong?

dittydottie
01-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Your tenants insurance covers all that you own. Everthing in your apartment is covered by your insurance .The landlord is not required to protect your stuff just the building. If you have a breakin or a fire your insurance covers your contents. Most have replacement value cost.

Rickster
01-01-2007, 09:06 PM
I think that if the damage or thefts( faulty lock not replaced when asked, or bad fuse box !) proved to be the fault of your 'landlord', then his insurance would have to cover that !?! That way yours would not go up as they ALL do. Just a thought but not 100%sure. - Rick.

dittydottie
01-01-2007, 09:13 PM
That would be 2 questions to ask the insurance company. Let us all know what they tell you Tara.

Cherry Pop
01-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Pls don't mind me asking but where do you need a tenant insurance for? I was told the landlord needs to be insured, not the tenant? Am I wrong?

My Ex is a landlord and the landlord only has to insure the building. The landlord isn't responsible for your stuff and that goes for any housing or co-op. You need to have your own tenant insurance to cover everything you own in your apartment. I have insurance through CHF canada which goes through the co-operators insurance (HB group). Mine is a little different though as I live in a co-op so I am under tenant's insurance for members living in a co-op. The best thing is to call around to get the best deal, competition never hurts. Also, I highly recommend anyone who doesn't have tenant insurance to get it as you never know what could happen!

Cherry Pop
01-01-2007, 09:43 PM
I think that if the damage or thefts( faulty lock not replaced when asked, or bad fuse box !) proved to be the fault of your 'landlord', then his insurance would have to cover that !?! That way yours would not go up as they ALL do. Just a thought but not 100%sure. - Rick.

Landlords insurance would cover fire damage to the apartment or kicked down door in the case of a break-in. It doesn't cover contents in the apartment, that is the renters responsibility.

Crystalbeach
01-02-2007, 08:16 AM
The landlord is not responsible for any of your personal belongings..
tenants insurance is so cheap..I cannot imagine being without it.

nadia.m.
01-27-2007, 04:06 AM
I would definitely recommend tenant's insurance to protect yourself from lawsuits as well. For example, if you leave the water on and flood the place, the landlord's insurance will cover it, then sue you to recover what they paid out. Same thing if you start a fire (homemade french fries anyone?) and damage the apartment.

If you have tenant's insurance, the landlord's insurance company contacts your insurance company and looks for payment there, you're safe.

This kind of thing happens all the time and it is very stressful for people to be in a position where they just lost their own belongings and now are being sued.

tred816
01-27-2007, 06:01 AM
Funny. You'd think that this would be something that should be common knowledge, but it isn't.
I was in my own apartment for several years before a friend of mine told me that my stuff wasn't insured. Just the building.
It's kind of disturbing isn't it?
There's a false sense of security when we think we are insured through the landlord and we aren't.
We should all mention this to everyone we know that lives in an apartment. It might just save someone from losing everything and not having any way to replace it.
When I insured my 3 bedroom apartment a few years ago, it was 13 dollars a month. Well worth it!

Chinna Dah
01-27-2007, 09:02 AM
I go through Carnaghan Taylor Insurance on Crown St. I pay 40 dollars a month, I have 80 thousand coverage, and a floating insurance on my engagement ring, incase I lose it or the rock falls out. I am also covered for up to 1 Million incase I cause a fire and destroy the whole building, my landlords insurance would come after that. And the chance that the other tenants who dont have insurance could sue me.

I did have an interesting conversation though with an insurance claims person,he said when you go for tenants insurance, be sure to add up ALL that you own, from the big stuff like couch, tv, bed....to the little things like sock, underwear, toiletries, dishes,telephones, CD's, DVD's,coffee maker, pots and pans....EVERYTHING. that is why mine is so high, because if I were to lose it all, I dont want to have to go buy just cheap junk because I have only 30 thousand for insurance. I want my butt covered. and I want what I have now.

Something to think about.

tred816
01-27-2007, 01:02 PM
Wow! :eek: That's almost as much as I pay for my house!

LiLLY
01-27-2007, 01:58 PM
I have insuarnce through RBC and I pay 20$ a month and that covers 50k, 10k per room.

magoosmomma
01-27-2007, 08:16 PM
I go through state farm and its 18.50 a month for 50K in coverageor 220 something yearly

best investment I ever made

JIm C.
01-30-2007, 05:18 AM
Statefarm I pay roughly $14.00 a month for tennant insurance..

50K I carry it because I have my vechile broken into almost yearly

sept-dec. and for some strange reason insurance companies

will not cover my losses I carry full insurance on my vechile's

and when the theft occurs I phone the insurance company

and they tell him that's it covered under home/tennant insurance policy

not the in the car insurance theft policy....