PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and Kittens being used as shark bait

harbourchick07
07-02-2007, 09:08 PM
If you all thought lams was cruel what till you hear/see this. My friend sent me a link to a site and i was sickened by it.

STRAY dogs are being skewered on hooks and dragged behind boats as live shark bait The cruel practice takes place on French-controlled Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean A six-month-old labrador pup was recently found ALIVE with a huge double hook through its snout
and another through a leg The pup was found in a coastal creek and is thought to have somehow freed itself from a fishing line.But other dogs and kittens have been chomped up and swallowed by sharks.

Here is the link to the site :

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/stop-dogs-being-used-as-shark-bait

jdcb
07-02-2007, 09:21 PM
That's cruel to use a live animal in such a way.

harbourchick07
07-02-2007, 09:34 PM
i know. I included the site to sign the petition to stop it
there is also other petitions you can sign like stopping horse slaughter also you can remain annomuse and send donations .

jdcb
07-02-2007, 09:46 PM
I don't know what a petition would do where it's in another country. And I wouldn't really treat any petition with anonymous postings as worth the time.

Also, be 100% educated on a subject before you sign a petition. Seriously. Watch this:
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-3878198865860143812&q=penn+and+teller+petition&total=6&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

(it's just over 3 minutes long)

harbourchick07
07-02-2007, 10:06 PM
yeah but there is other things on there i still think it is sad and people should now about it. Also it showed a dog being killed and used as meat.

jdcb
07-02-2007, 11:53 PM
Also it showed a dog being killed and used as meat.

I haven't checked out the link, what was the meat used for?

harbourchick07
07-03-2007, 12:15 PM
human consumption i belive i had to close the page, it was sicken i am a animal lover but mostly dogs and horse . but still i get all weak over a baby animal and any animal for that.

jdcb
07-03-2007, 12:39 PM
I hear a dog can make a really good meal.

Are you a vegitarian?

harbourchick07
07-03-2007, 12:50 PM
no, but i dont believe in eating animals such as dogs and horses!!

jdcb
07-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Are you a vegitarian?

I ask because unless you eat absolutely no meat at all, one really doesn't have the right to tell another which meat is ok and not based on personal taste. I find many people who eat beef daily, but refuse to touch or even sample anything made with lamb/sheep. Yet I know others who eat lamb/sheep often and won't touch beef. Neither is wrong, it's just a difference.

We have a cultural stigma in our society in regards to certain food. Like dogs for example. If someone down the road were to kill a dog and eat it's meat, they would be arrested and socially shunned. Even if that person were starving to death.

It also has to do with the 'cuteness' factor. It is wrong to kill a dog for food as we have associated them with household pets. But a cow is fine. So it's ok and socially acceptable to kill one and not the other. Same with the mouse/kitten effect. If someone feeds thier pet snake a mouse, the response is "you like snakes?" But if you feed it a kitten your all of a sudden some murdering phycopath who doesn't deserve to live. All because we associate with kittens and they are cute, but a mouse is a lesser species and it's ok to kill them. What does the snake care, it's dinner. I find it all a little hipicritical myself.

All of this is a cultural affect. In China for example, it's ok to eat anything with 4 legs except the kitchen table...

(I'm deciding whether I should risk bringing in squirrel stew to the next potluck at work, or if I risk becoming another one of our cultural victims)

harbourchick07
07-03-2007, 04:14 PM
i dont think of the cutness factor.I think of the purpose of each animals and when you come down to it it is wrong to place a hook through an animals face to drag behind a boat, and to hunt for trophy. I mean i use the " that animals has a purpose" chickens lay eggs, roosters wake us up, and meet kings die after 2 months. ducks and geese lay eyes as well. I dont like turkeys so through them in the oven all you want lol. (was chased by one when i was younger. some cows are illegal to kill like dairy cows, and horses are slowly becoming illegal. dogs are suppose to protect the herd and us. and sheep and other woolly animals make clothes but everything gets eaten.this post was about dragging kittens and dogs behind boats, just to catch a shark for a prize!. oh and i hear squrille taste like chicken lol :rofl:

jdcb
07-03-2007, 05:59 PM
I've agreed with the hooks through the nose. You also brought up the use for food. And it does appear your using the cuteness factor. It's a little more than just looks, it goes into the idea that it's ok to kill them cuz you don't like them, just as it's not ok to kill them as you do like them. And you said it pretty good about turkeys.

this post was about dragging kittens and dogs behind boats, just to catch a shark for a prize!

as I mentioned, your the one that brought up them being used for meat first...

mommyd
07-04-2007, 01:37 PM
i think what you meant to say was stigma? not stigmata?
:)

and harbourchick.. roosters wake us up? Have you heard any lately? I sure haven't. My son wakes ME up lol

katzndawgs
07-04-2007, 03:23 PM
I ask because unless you eat absolutely no meat at all, one really doesn't have the right to tell another which meat is ok and not based on personal taste. I find many people who eat beef daily, but refuse to touch or even sample anything made with lamb/sheep. Yet I know others who eat lamb/sheep often and won't touch beef. Neither is wrong, it's just a difference.

We have a cultural stigmata in our society in regards to certain food. Like dogs for example. If someone down the road were to kill a dog and eat it's meat, they would be arrested and socially shunned. Even if that person were starving to death.

It also has to do with the 'cuteness' factor. It is wrong to kill a dog for food as we have associated them with household pets. But a cow is fine. So it's ok and socially acceptable to kill one and not the other. Same with the mouse/kitten effect. If someone feeds thier pet snake a mouse, the response is "you like snakes?" But if you feed it a kitten your all of a sudden some murdering phycopath who doesn't deserve to live. All because we associate with kittens and they are cute, but a mouse is a lesser species and it's ok to kill them. What does the snake care, it's dinner. I find it all a little hipicritical myself.

All of this is a cultural affect. In China for example, it's ok to eat anything with 4 legs except the kitchen table...

(I'm deciding whether I should risk bringing in squirrel stew to the next potluck at work, or if I risk becoming another one of our cultural victims)

So Uncle Abner is a stout man who is scheduled for a quad by-pass. If Ole Abe doesn't make it, hey, c'mon over for a BBQ. Cannabilism is accepted in parts of the world and Abe is no cutey so the "don't chew on the beautiful folk" won't get ticked. Better still, how about donating Abe's bloated carcass to a needy family? Abe on a platter surrounded fresh taters, carrots with a chihuahua stuffed in his mouth. What a feast! Seein' you ain't no hypocrite maybe you should spearhead this little initiative? Graveyards are filling up, cremations are costly. Good luck! I'll watch for your thread.

jdcb
07-04-2007, 03:38 PM
So Uncle Abner is a stout man who is scheduled for a quad by-pass. If Ole Abe doesn't make it, hey, c'mon over for a BBQ. Cannabilism is accepted in parts of the world and Abe is no cutey so the "don't chew on the beautiful folk" won't get ticked. Better still, how about donating Abe's bloated carcass to a needy family? Abe on a platter surrounded fresh taters, carrots with a chihuahua stuffed in his mouth. What a feast! Seein' you ain't no hypocrite maybe you should spearhead this little initiative? Graveyards are filling up, cremations are costly. Good luck! I'll watch for your thread.

MMMmmmmm.... Grandma on a stick...

I suppose that arguement is good. But it also depends if you consider yourself to be just another animal... And I'm not saying I've eaten dog (yet) nor will seek to. But I don't think I would freak out, that is unless it was my dog...

jdcb
07-04-2007, 03:39 PM
i think what you meant to say was stigma? not stigmata?

I suppose your right. Stigmata is the plural of stigma...

ceg
07-04-2007, 05:40 PM
I do consider myself just another animal cause that's what I am. Humans are just a species of animal, nothing more, nothing special.MMMmmmmm.... Grandma on a stick...

I suppose that arguement is good. But it also depends if you consider yourself to be just another animal... And I'm not saying I've eaten dog (yet) nor will seek to. But I don't think I would freak out, that is unless it was my dog...

jdcb
07-04-2007, 08:03 PM
I suppose that does depend on your point of view...

CM
07-04-2007, 08:33 PM
We may be just another species of animal, but we also have brains and vocal cords. And it is our brains, vocal chords and hopefully morals and scruples that set us apart from say, the dogs and monkeys and other animals who cannot speak out or decide right from wrong.
I don't think this revolves around a cuteness factor, I think the choice of bait in this situation is just wrong. I couldn't bring myself to go to the link, don't have the heart or the stomach.
But based on what people were saying, I don't think it is right to use live animals for the purpose they were being used for.
I think there are other alternatives to using live animals. What happened to chumming?
Or even better, why hunt sharks for trophy hunting? Cease and desist. I don't think I would want a 7 or 8 foot long shark hanging on my wall. Or do they just catch them, have their picture taken, and throw away the carcass?
I won't pretend to understand the trophy hunter, or any hunter at all. Hunting for the purpose of food and clothing is a thing of the past.
I think we need to remember all of the animals that were hunted into extinction. For what, trophies, pictures, just because there were a lot of them around?

jdcb
07-04-2007, 08:51 PM
CM,

Please re-read. The cuteness factor effect was not in regards to using live dogs as shark bait.

Also, hunting for food is not a thing of the past. Only vegitarians ahve the right (in my opinion) to make any argument towards the eating of meat in any respect, including source.

ASortaSweetart
07-04-2007, 11:29 PM
Well girls are sold into marriage when they hit puberty in some cultures, but that doesn't mean it's something we should try over here....

I am sure there is some type of animal that these cultures would consider sacred and not eat?

We are thought to have a complex soul so I do not buy that we are just another animal. If you happen to be Christian (and I am just using this as the first example that comes to mind, not to start a religious war) you may have heard the one about man being created in God's image. Now I am aware this may be open to interpretation. But this may imply we are a bit more complex than the average puppy. Perhaps not all of us....but let's try and stay on track here.

But jdcb you are right if a homeless person ate a dog to avoid starvation he would probably be deemed insane. But there are soup kitchens and such so is there really a need for something like that?

I can not see myself ever eating a dog or being really okay with someone who is like "Hey I just ate my dog".:(

trinity
07-09-2007, 06:22 PM
There are also some people who make pets out of chickens and ducks, they call them "companion animals". Should we stop eating poultry for their sensitivities? if you catch and kill someone's pet, whether it be a dog, duck, kitten, boa, tarantula, or gerbil, that's wrong, as there is someone out there who has an emotional investment in that creature. I have some Asian coworkers who don't like dogs, back home dogs are wild food animals and don't belong indoors, just like pigs or goats.