PDA

View Full Version : Search and Rescue

rubycshells
07-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Was travelling from west to east side and saw the Coast Guard and fire/rescue searching by the Brunswicker. I hope that it was a false alarm.

tony_s
07-01-2007, 04:32 PM
rumours has it someone jumped the bridge thats why the helicopter was flying.

dittydottie
07-01-2007, 04:46 PM
could very well be that a RUMOR of someone jumping,could also be part of Canada Day stuff. Why not just wait and see before you start the rumors.

tony_s
07-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Sorry just going by was heard on the scanner.

rubycshells
07-01-2007, 06:28 PM
could very well be that a RUMOR of someone jumping,could also be part of Canada Day stuff. Why not just wait and see before you start the rumors.

It definately wasn't Canada Day Stuff. The police had the Brunswicker parking lots blocked off and fire dept. was there as well. It was a definate search as they were using the grid search pattern.

Dreamweaver
07-01-2007, 09:10 PM
There was definately a body in the water. I was enjoying Harbor Passage looking out into the water when a police officer approached and asked if I saw someone "fall" into the water. I was there when the police arrived. He said if I spot someone to let him know (duh!).

Lil Man Inc.
07-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Anyone hear anymore info? we are hearing about it down here in St. Stephen. Hearing it could be someone we know. Any info would help out. We can't get ahold of the person we think it might be. any name or description would help.

harbourchick07
07-01-2007, 10:17 PM
my dads police scanner was going all night, i turned it off because it got annoying as i am sick and have had a head ache all day. but i am confused as to how someone could have jumped "fell" into the harbour from the bridge:confused:

rubycshells
07-01-2007, 10:47 PM
my dads police scanner was going all night, i turned it off because it got annoying as i am sick and have had a head ache all day. but i am confused as to how someone could have jumped "fell" into the harbour from the bridge:confused:

I don't think anyone said "bridge". I said the search was going on by the bridge. When I drove by the fire truck and police cars were by OSCO and there was a group of people standing by the water with the police.

lizard_lover
07-02-2007, 02:02 PM
wow....this is terrible...why do people not stay in their own business? if it is any of your business, you would be contacted by police, or someone of authority. one of these days, someone is going to stick their nose where it does not belong, and someone is going to get quite upset about it...

rubycshells
07-02-2007, 03:02 PM
wow....this is terrible...why do people not stay in their own business? if it is any of your business, you would be contacted by police, or someone of authority. one of these days, someone is going to stick their nose where it does not belong, and someone is going to get quite upset about it...

If you don't like these posts, don't read them:D . I mean why did you read this anyway??? Trying to find out some business???:rofl:

babydoll101
07-02-2007, 03:14 PM

I don't understand why there is always someone who has nothing but rude negative things to say in someones post!!!! It is not your post so leave it be and let people chat. Isn't that what a forum is all about????
Drives me crazy when you see this in a post.

Hopefully we will hear it on the news tonight.

admin
07-02-2007, 03:25 PM
Actually, lizard_lover has a reasonable point. We appreciate people's interests in discussions, and general discussion about things taking place locally is okay (like the search and rescue), but on the other hand, specific details about someone's identity and/or specifics about how they died being posted before being released by the authorities can be hurtful, and would be removed.

Issues related to this have been discussed here:
http://isaintjohn.com/classifieds/showthread.php?t=17646

In particular, girdy's comments regarding a previous death are a good summary of the issue:

"Speculative gossip about significant matters is a bad thing. What needs to happen when there are life and death, family sensitive issues going on is:

1. it must be done in a manner respectful to the family involved - i.e. the full family must be informed, because the grief of the family will temporarily supercede your immediate right to know, and
2. the information reported needs to be accurate.

I saw some of the thread, and the problems with it included:

1. comments about age, sex, relationship of who was involved to the point that the family might have been in the position of finding out through un-official channels of a tragic event,
2. the wrong family could have heard something through unofficial channels!,
3. gossip about the circumstances involved, and since the gossip kept changing, some of it was apparently inaccurate,
4. inappropriately timed comments about the circumstances - and some of the comments were about potentially inaccurate pieces of information.

You have a right to know - but at the correct time, and with the accurate details. Neither was happening in the thread."

In the previous case described above, some people said a person died by hanging himself, but it later turned out that he was shot. That's an example of why rumours about specifics can be problematic and need to be avoided. It didn't get to that point in this thread, but is the general type of issue lizard_lover is probably referring to.

ksbeckaa
07-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Thats awful. My husband stopped the car and watched the helicopter for a few minutes. He thought they were training.

harbourchick07
07-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Lizard Lover has a point, i recently went to the Admins on one forum topic about fisher lakes. Like Lizard lover said you are going to get your noises in the wrong thing. I wasn't to upset with people saying stuff about how my step brother died, but my father now he was mad. i think we should ALWAYS wait until we know what is going on. Dont start saying things that are "hear say" because you never do know who you are talking it about it could just be someones family that is on this site. and rubycshells, your comment was a little rude.

rubycshells
07-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Actually, lizard_lover has a reasonable point. We appreciate people's interests in discussions, and general discussion about things taking place locally is okay (like the search and rescue), but on the other hand, specific details about someone's identity and/or specifics about how they died being posted before being released by the authorities can be hurtful, and would be removed.

Issues related to this have been discussed here:
http://isaintjohn.com/classifieds/showthread.php?t=17646

In particular, girdy's comments regarding a previous death are a good summary of the issue:

"Speculative gossip about significant matters is a bad thing. What needs to happen when there are life and death, family sensitive issues going on is:

1. it must be done in a manner respectful to the family involved - i.e. the full family must be informed, because the grief of the family will temporarily supercede your immediate right to know, and
2. the information reported needs to be accurate.

I saw some of the thread, and the problems with it included:

1. comments about age, sex, relationship of who was involved to the point that the family might have been in the position of finding out through un-official channels of a tragic event,
2. the wrong family could have heard something through unofficial channels!,
3. gossip about the circumstances involved, and since the gossip kept changing, some of it was apparently inaccurate,
4. inappropriately timed comments about the circumstances - and some of the comments were about potentially inaccurate pieces of information.

You have a right to know - but at the correct time, and with the accurate details. Neither was happening in the thread."

In the previous case described above, some people said a person died by hanging himself, but it later turned out that he was shot. That's an example of why rumours about specifics can be problematic and need to be avoided. It didn't get to that point in this thread, but is the general type of issue lizard_lover is probably referring to.

Totally agree...my point of the post was that I hope it was a false alarm. However, LL decided to post something that didn't pertain to how the thread was going and did it in a very self righteous manner. LL may have had a point if the thread was going in a direction that may have named someone etc. but it wasn't.

Admin...I think you know my postings and communication with you well enough by now to know that I would ask for it to be shut down if it went that way.

harbourchick07
07-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Ruby, All Lizard was trying to say is that it is inappropriate to go around saying stuff that no one knows for certain what happened. and that one of these days someone is going to say something and the person or thing they are talking about is going to hurt someone. The fisher lakes thread I personally had closed down as it upset me as it was my step brother that died!!!! Everyone will have some say in having at least one thread closed in their time here as not everyone wants to here how people think there best friend brother etc for example.

lizard_lover
07-02-2007, 04:30 PM
THANK YOU HARBOURCHICK07...Now I am not saying it is bad to talk about something that has happened, but wait until you get the freaking facts first. For you who have kids in school, and wonder why fights and what not start, this is ******* why...something gets said, noone really knows the truth, but it is "so exciting" to hear about something like that that everyone sticks their two cents in...I mean, who knows, someone could have fell, someone could have jumped, but whos business is it? if it is your business, you will be informed by proper authorities...once we know the details, then maybe discussing it is one thing, but none of you know anything really yet (not just you guys, the police even may not really know yet) so i think in courtesy of the family to this person, it should be left alone for now.

rubycshells
07-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Once again to my original post was that I hoped it was a false alarm.

This may be rude but I find that some of the posters on this thread tend to always create/post drama.

Like I stated to Admin, if this thread had gotten out of hand I would be the first to ask them to shut it down.

And by the way I am very capable of moderating my own postings and don't need either one of you to do so.

So before any more comments...read the opening post...read the opening post....read the opening post...read the opening post.

and if you still can't stay away...please create your own thread for discussion and stop hijacking mine:D .

harbourchick07
07-02-2007, 04:48 PM
who knows maybe someone new someone who was planning something and called it in. No one knows. and until it is out in paper and tv it should be done with and no one should say anything else.

harbourchick07
07-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Maybe you should read what some other people are saying besides me and lizard, as there are people on here saying " rumor has it someone jumped." "a police officer asked me if i seen some 'Fall' into the water" humm defeniatly sounds like someone trying to start something..... not you but other people.and i obviously read the first post, i dont start reading from the last post.

lizard_lover
07-02-2007, 05:01 PM
i did read the first post, and ruby i am not saying you are the one starting the rumors...all you said was that you drove by, there really is nothing wrong with that...it is the people with the scanners and such...why do people other than police own scanners anyways? to know what people are getting into, and be the first to know when someone is in crap i guess...but ruby, i am not saying you did anything wrong...

harbourchick07
07-02-2007, 05:04 PM
we have a scanner but we only turn it on when we hear the firetrucks or something because we now everyone down here and get frightened when we hear them.

lizard_lover
07-02-2007, 05:26 PM
yeah, that is one thing, but i know some people who lsit and listen to it all day everyday just to know everything that is going on...like some people can be genuinely concerned about people they know, but then there are people who live to know other peoples business...look at celebrities...i feel bad for them, people wonder why they do what they do, they have no privacy!

harbourchick07
07-02-2007, 05:36 PM
yeah i know someone like that, i used to yell at them when ever i stayed at there house because they were always into other peoples business. i still dont agree though with the way this thread is turning out.
I still strongly think that people should stat what they want but in the prober manner by waiting and listening, wait to hear it on the news or read it in the paper.

ASortaSweetart
07-02-2007, 06:04 PM
This may be rude but I find that some of the posters on this thread tend to always create/post drama.

I totally agree I can think of one in particular who seems be posting a lot of absolutely nothing pertaining to the topic even after you requested they start their own thread to discuss it.

admin
07-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Once again to my original post was that I hoped it was a false alarm.

Like I stated to Admin, if this thread had gotten out of hand I would be the first to ask them to shut it down.

And by the way I am very capable of moderating my own postings and don't need either one of you to do so.

So before any more comments...read the opening post...read the opening post....read the opening post...read the opening post.

and if you still can't stay away...please create your own thread for discussion and stop hijacking mine:D .

Lizard_lover stated a reasonable comment and wasn't necessarily directing it at you, as he explained later.

Your opening post was reasonable, but a thread obviously has more posts than just the opening post (re: your statement of "read the opening post...read the opening post....read the opening post...read the opening post.").

As others pointed out, replies in this thread did request names/specifics. Specifics didn't end up being posted, but that's where this thread was leading... that's not your fault, but it did made lizard_lover's post reasonable & relevant and not a hijack.

This thread has gone off topic enough though, so any more posts not about the original topic will be removed.

Thanks

lizard_lover
07-02-2007, 08:46 PM
I do have one thing to say...I am a woman! everyone is referring to me as a guy...lol

stripekv
07-02-2007, 08:49 PM
SAINT JOHN, N.B.- Search and rescue crews were called to the Harbour Bridge area Canada Day afternoon.

District Fire Chief Eric Garland says a search began shortly after two after reports of a person possible falling from the bridge. "We responded with three pieces of apparatus and the water rescue unit", Garland says. " We did search activities in coordination with city police and the Coast Guard which also deployed it's water rescue unit which is housed at HMCS Brunswicker

An over two hour search of the area turned up nothing and all workers involved with ongoing maintenance work the bridge were accounted for. Police are trying to track down where the call originated from

rubycshells
07-02-2007, 09:04 PM
SAINT JOHN, N.B.- Search and rescue crews were called to the Harbour Bridge area Canada Day afternoon.

District Fire Chief Eric Garland says a search began shortly after two after reports of a person possible falling from the bridge. "We responded with three pieces of apparatus and the water rescue unit", Garland says. " We did search activities in coordination with city police and the Coast Guard which also deployed it's water rescue unit which is housed at HMCS Brunswicker

An over two hour search of the area turned up nothing and all workers involved with ongoing maintenance work the bridge were accounted for. Police are trying to track down where the call originated from

Thank you very much...I am glad this has turned out to be a false alarm.

harbourchick07
07-02-2007, 09:58 PM
It was probally someone who knew someone and called it in thinking they did it.