PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe?

cuddles2007
07-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Hi , I'm currently 12 weeks preg and my son is 6 months. i found out i have postpartum depression about 4-5 months ago and i am taking RAN-CITALOPRAM 2O mg (Citalopram HBR ) but now that i am preg i want off of them or on something else. Is anyone else on these pills and were preg? or know of anyone. i have looked these pills up on the Internet but i cant find anything about them when you are preg .

Lady_Athena
07-01-2007, 03:27 PM
Try calling your pharmacist they will be able to tell you if your medication is going to cause pregnancy complications.

I have heard that Paxil is the most studied drug used to treat depression in pregnant women. It is one of the more safer drugs to use during breastfeeding as well.

Remember that untreated depression is a very serious condition and that you should not go off your medication without consulting your doctor.

Snowmedic
07-01-2007, 04:27 PM
You should consult your Doctor anytime you become pregnant while taking this type of medication. There isn't much listed with concerns about pregnancy as listed as citalopram, but the FDA claims it is a category C as listed under celexa (just another name) .....I've provided the info below but don't stress, there is conflicting evidence to suggest exactly the opposite just make sure you talk with your doctor before making any decision with this med. This is not Paxil either.....paxil is Paroxetine, both are SSRI's but have been known to have different side effects.

FDA pregnancy category C. SSRI antidepressants may cause serious or life-threatening lung problems in new born babies whose mothers take the medication during pregnancy. However, you may have a relapse of depression if you stop taking your antidepressant during pregnancy. If you are planning a pregnancy, or if you become pregnant while taking Celexa, do not stop taking the medication without first talking to your doctor. Celexa can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.

cuddles2007
07-01-2007, 05:42 PM
thank you . i have talked to my doc about this when i first found out i was preg . im gonna make a doctors appointment for tuesday so me and him can talk some more about it .

Lady_Athena
07-01-2007, 07:21 PM
I just wanted to clear up that I knew it was not paxil, but paxil is considered a "safer" [then some anti depressants] drug during pregnancy as it has been studied more than some.

That is what the doctor had told me.:)

sarahnb
07-01-2007, 07:28 PM
I have an even better suggestion. Call Motherisk.
http://www.motherisk.org/women/index.jsp It is the national authority on drugs in pregnancy and breastfeeding wommen. They are out of the Toronto Sick Children's Hospital. They will tell you and your doctor (have your doctor call as well) how much of a drug is passed onto the baby whether it's in utero or through breastfeeding. If it's less than 10% it is safe to take. I take a med that the pharmicology books say is passed on through breastmilk. I called motherisk and found out that only ,5% is passed on. I would not be able to physically function without it and I wasn't about to give up breastfeeding. I've also called them when I was in the hospital for gallbladder surgery and a car accident to confirm the safety of medications.
Good luck.