PDA

View Full Version : BPD [Borderline Personality Disorder] Resources & Help?

ASortaSweetart
07-01-2007, 11:43 AM
Although they have been suffering from the symptoms for many years, a loved one was recently diagnosed with Borderline personality disorder. They had been misdiagnosed with depression, chronic depression, panic attacks, and social anxiety disorder (although I am sure some of those can also manifest with BPD). They are now into early adulthood and it has progressed to the point where they are unable to work or have any type of normal social life anymore.

Some people describe these people as difficult, but this person is a very good loving and caring person and when she acts out in bursts of anger and self harm she feels tremendous remorse afterwards. She said it is like she "becomes possessed". I firmly believe this is a real disorder and I am very scared that it is going to kill her.

She has started cutting herself and threatening suicide. During an episode she wrote a note on the wall where she was talking to herself trying to convince herself she could stop hurting everyone if she committed the act.

I, as many of her other loved ones, are desperate for local resources to begin treatment. She is a wonderful person and the world needs more people like her alive and well. She is very smart and beautiful.

I found some of these symptoms she is currently facing on a website. This is how progressed we think her BPD is

* Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment ( still present )
* Unstable and intense 'love-hate' relationships ( still present )
* Markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self ( still present )
* Frequent impulsive, potentially self-damaging behavior ( still present )
* Rapidly shifting emotions ( still present )
* Chronic feelings of emptiness ( still present )
* Inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger ( still present )
* Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms ( still present )

Some things we already know:
The prevalence of Emotionally Unstable (Borderline) Personality Disorder is about 2% of the general population.
Completed suicide occurs in 8%-10% of individuals with this disorder, and self-mutilative acts (e.g., cutting or burning) and suicide threats and attempts are very common.

Please any help and info is appreciated, but no negativity as we have enough already to face.

Thanks in Advance

mizunderstood
07-01-2007, 03:08 PM
Try calling the mercantile mental health department and they can give you tons of information and guide u through the troubled times. There is always someone on call there and they are a great help. When I was diagnosed with Bipolar they were fantastic. I am sorry you have to go through this and best of luck. She is very fortunate to have loved ones that care so much about her.

u8dn
07-03-2007, 07:09 AM
http://www.ahsc.health.nb.ca/Programs/MentalHealth/saintjohnservices.shtml

Saint John has a lot of programs... you just have to know how to find them.

ASortaSweetart
07-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Thank you for the replies I now know for certain that the best place to get help and get a step in the door to getting help is through mental health. I thought that maybe we would have to hire a therapist we found ourselves, but we discussed the treatment plan over with the doctor.

I was treated similarly for an eating disorder, but I was not raised here.

Also here is some kinda sad "trivia" for you:(:
Did you know that Marilyn Monroe is thought to have had Borderline Personality Disorder? Personal writing and evidence shows classic symptoms that Borderlines face. The disease only became known around 1980 I believe. It's too bad someone couldn't have known back then and perhaps her life would not have ended so tragically!

(I found that online while researching the disorder)