PDA

View Full Version : Why....So much incorrect spelling

JustWatching
06-24-2007, 07:18 PM
Just curious - does anyone else think that the internet/MSN/whatever other chat programs that are out there are causing people to not be able to spell - Now I don't mean an incorrect word here or there - I'm talking several a sentence - or more....its almost like why bother writing if no one can understand you....

I've noticed that alot on message boards....just curious if anyone else thinks its getting really bad....

sanstu
06-24-2007, 07:40 PM
I have to agree. There was a post in another thread that I read 4 times and I'm still not sure if I understood what the person was trying to say!lol

Dan_Man
06-24-2007, 09:15 PM
You have to love the posts with no punctuation... They're so hard to read!

rubycshells
06-24-2007, 09:53 PM
Emphasis is not on spelling in school anymore. I was told by a teacher that as long as the idea was there that the spelling wasn't important.:eek:

trinity
06-25-2007, 07:19 AM
Typos and simple misspellings we can deal with. I saw hte borwn cow in the feild- yep, can get that no problem.

However, I wish people would look some things up so they don't look so uneducated. For example:

She has " a lot" of money-it is TWO separate words (I'm assuming you threw that in the first post as a joke). THERE IS NO SUCH WORD AS ALOT.

It is John's job to allot the tips based on hours of work. To divide something up based on some sort of proportion or preset guideline is aLLot. Your share is your aLLotment.

My company often sends out corporate memos nation-wide with no thought to the use of apostrophes. They don't know or care I guess. Also I don't know who print's our menu's but we sell a lot of egg's apparently. (LOL). I don't know what the eggs own, since 's is a possessive- John's book, the cat's dish, the dog's toy.

The word WHAT has an H. You aren't a gangsta, you grew up in Quispam . Get over yourself.

Punctuation is important, stop the thought now and again or else your writing resembles the train of thought of a schizophrenic and no one wants to see that.

My cousin is 17 and on ******** in Toronto, and he thinks it is funny to write his status updates in some sort broken gangsta slang cutesy shorthand- most of the time I don't have two clues what he is up to, killing time or livestock, could be humans, who knows, and I never know if his # "1" means one, I, or is an actual typo of accidentally sticking a 1 in the middle of a word. This is one sentence he wrote.

alright i'll send him 1 c wat dis is all bout, but i think its a fake cuz it has the ballon fighter in as the trophy form melee & also some pics look like trophies too though, anywayz i'll find out..

HUH???

ILiveOnEarth
06-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Big deal if you don't understand it or can't read it then move on. Some people suck at typing and spelling so what. Life goes and its too short to cry about such things.

my tow cents :)

Dan_Man
06-25-2007, 02:32 PM
A spell check isn't very hard to use. Heck google toolbar has a spell check that you can use on the web pages that you browse.

Nail
06-25-2007, 02:44 PM
The internet has more people typing and surfing and generally on it then ever before. The influx of people getting on is bound to have it's share people with lower IQ. This populace of lower IQ has birthed it's own language which I call "Webonix".

smart
06-25-2007, 02:51 PM
The internet has more people typing and surfing and generally on it then ever before. The influx of people getting on is bound to have it's share people with lower IQ. This populace of lower IQ has birthed it's own language which I call "Webonix".

You mean "its", not it's :D

But I agree :biggrin:

smart
06-25-2007, 02:55 PM
Just curious - does anyone else think that the internet/MSN/whatever other chat programs that are out there are causing people to not be able to spell - Now I don't mean an incorrect word here or there - I'm talking several a sentence - or more....its almost like why bother writing if no one can understand you....

I've noticed that alot on message boards....just curious if anyone else thinks its getting really bad....

Yeah, I think the problem is that kids grow up spoiled by spell/grammarcheckers on computers nowadays, and then when they have to compose a few sentences on their own, they make a lot of mistakes (and continue them as adults).

And then there's a chunk of the population who are just too lazy (or don't care) about the fact that if their text is well-written, their ideas will be better received.

jdcb
06-25-2007, 04:50 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet/1337

JustWatching
06-25-2007, 07:07 PM
There is a whole new language starting out there because of the internet - Actually I read an article somewhere about how in years the come the current english language could be quite different - no vowels (YAH) :)

Anyway I guess I was more speaking of this kind of post

im gobin ot hte ovie nigh (BTW that means "I'm going to the movie tonight")

I mean that isn't a new language - that isn't slang - that is adslfkjsdf :)

Rickster
06-25-2007, 08:10 PM
It has nothing to do with the internet that so many are blaming, but with the school system itself. Like I said in an earlier posting about our 'great teachers'in our school system; they just don't care anymore and the faster they can grab their check and go home the better it is for them. I was quite amazed at my oldest son, who did graduate, that he hardly knew how to spell anything over 5 or 6 letters. Hell,he couldn't even write a paragraph(if you could get him to write,kids don't do much of that either) that was without at least several misspellings. I was shocked but not surprised as he was not alone with this problem as I myself knew grads my age that couldn't spell either. Another reason there is so much misspelling on the sites is that a lot of 'lower-educated' people acquire a computer(instant genuis) and , well...you can figger the rest ! I myself after writing anything,have enough pride in myself to proof-read what I have written before sending it out there to people to read. I notice that 'very' few people,even on this site, do that. Heck,read the morning paper on the computer and you'll wonder how they hire proof-readers cause some of the mistakes found make you wonder if they just grab someone off the street and say "your a proof-reader now !",lol. - It's a sad state of affairs when our 'system' rushes the children through our schools with no care or concern on a very basic and necessary element of education-Grammar ! - Rick.

The_Dave
06-25-2007, 08:51 PM
I believe this may also be because kids today do not read books. Everything is internet based. IM is a huge cause also because the kids do not spell out words, they abreviate, or just use a letter. It is every parents responsiblity to ensure that their children go to school prepared. Make them learn to read at an early age, sit down with them and practice spelling and math and other things to prepare their study habits and also to give them a headstart. It is all to easy to blame a teacher but educating and preparing your children starts at home. Together with the school system, the parents and teacher would certainly ensure the children get the education they need.

sanstu
06-25-2007, 08:58 PM
I was wondering how long before those"greedy teachers" were blamed! Is there anyone out there that accepts responsibility for themselves? My children were well prepared when they entered school. I worked with my children every night, doing homework with them. I encouraged all my children to read. I encouraged my children to take pride in their work and to always do their best. I was always in attendance at parent teacher. I made the time to volunteer at my children's schools. I guess it is easier to blame them there greedy teachers!:rolleyes:

Flaxie
06-26-2007, 07:13 AM
Because I'm a bit of a gypsy, my children have been to several schools over the years. This includes more than a few right here in Saint John. I have yet to encounter a "greedy teacher". My children have always been encouraged to read by their teachers. I have had to deal with a few whom I do not feel have the social skills needed to be a "great" teacher; they have all wanted to instill the desire to read and write in my children. My daughter's grade 4 teacher gave each child a summer assignment. The students have all been asked to keep a journal. I can not think of a better way to encourage spelling and grammar in a child!
So Kudos to the wonderful teachers of Saint John!

Chinna Dah
06-26-2007, 07:15 AM
My nephew was a terrible printer when he was younger, until one day his dad had enough and when checking over his homework he could barely understand what he wrote, so his father erased it all and made hime do it again. this happened quite a few times, all the while my nephew crying while he REwrote his home work again, then suddenly a light came on, and my nephew started to print better the FIRST time. He is graduating this year, and he has great penmanship....all it take is a little tough love, and they do learn, but you have to take the time and show that tough love.

chevygirl
06-27-2007, 05:54 PM
My typing seems to be improving with the amount of time I spend on the internet. In most cases the software program that I am using will not only point out my wrongs but it will tell me how to correct them. It’s great. I mean I am no pro but I have improved a lot. I was huge for typing a lot as 1 word but I don’t now also I was bad for using the word suppost instead of suppose. It’s great. I do agree that education is one issue but it isn’t the schools fault. We need to teach our children that reading is fun and not only do they need to start reading before they go to school but all through school as well.
May I also suggest that a lot of the people that are on the internet are foreign and are trying there hardest to type a language that they can barley speak. If you ever sit there and actually read what that person is trying to type you will see that English probably isn’t there first language. But they are trying and that's how they learn .

lizard_lover
06-27-2007, 08:11 PM
I am telling you, send your kids to Hampton High School, and make sure they have writing or english class with Mrs. Donovan. She is an excellent teacher! One of the only ones left that I know of that makes sure her students can spell, write with proper sentence structure, etc... So many people are graduating high school now that cannot read or write or anything! It drives me crazy to no end! I read like crazy, and cannot stand it when I am online, and all I see is "i was walkin 2ady n i saw a cuple dawgs walkin 2wardz me and i sayz to the boys dat dey wuz..." hopefully you get the point. I was raised knowing that in order to get somewheres in life, you have to know the basics, reading and writing. Where did that go? It just...fkjmvslkjtml kfj....(sorry for the jumble, cannot swear in here) I just wish that the school systems still gave two sh!ts about the students, I mean their students are the future right?

The_Dave
06-27-2007, 08:53 PM
Wow lizard_lover, I never thought of this until I read your posts. I know wht the problem is now................It is RAP MUSIC!!!!! All the dawg and sayz and G and wez and uzzz talk has warped the younger generations minds into thinking this is the way english is written and spoken. Ok, everyone, lets have a rap music burning party and the problem will be solved.

sanstu
06-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Wow lizard_lover, I never thought of this until I read your posts. I know wht the problem is now................It is RAP MUSIC!!!!! All the dawg and sayz and G and wez and uzzz talk has warped the younger generations minds into thinking this is the way english is written and spoken. Ok, everyone, lets have a rap music burning party and the proplem will be solved.
:rofl: And now we know the rest of the story!! (I knew there was a reason I didn't let my kids listen to rap!)

mommyd
06-29-2007, 10:45 AM
Typos and simple misspellings we can deal with. I saw hte borwn cow in the feild- yep, can get that no problem.

However, I wish people would look some things up so they don't look so uneducated. For example:

She has " a lot" of money-it is TWO separate words (I'm assuming you threw that in the first post as a joke). THERE IS NO SUCH WORD AS ALOT.

It is John's job to allot the tips based on hours of work. To divide something up based on some sort of proportion or preset guideline is aLLot. Your share is your aLLotment.

My company often sends out corporate memos nation-wide with no thought to the use of apostrophes. They don't know or care I guess. Also I don't know who print's our menu's but we sell a lot of egg's apparently. (LOL). I don't know what the eggs own, since 's is a possessive- John's book, the cat's dish, the dog's toy.

The word WHAT has an H. You aren't a gangsta, you grew up in Quispam . Get over yourself.

Punctuation is important, stop the thought now and again or else your writing resembles the train of thought of a schizophrenic and no one wants to see that.

My cousin is 17 and on ******** in Toronto, and he thinks it is funny to write his status updates in some sort broken gangsta slang cutesy shorthand- most of the time I don't have two clues what he is up to, killing time or livestock, could be humans, who knows, and I never know if his # "1" means one, I, or is an actual typo of accidentally sticking a 1 in the middle of a word. This is one sentence he wrote.

alright i'll send him 1 c wat dis is all bout, but i think its a fake cuz it has the ballon fighter in as the trophy form melee & also some pics look like trophies too though, anywayz i'll find out..

HUH???

i love you. Hahah, just kidding.
I agree with everything you said.
I learned that A LOT was two words in the 5th grade ( i can still remember my teacher actually having a spaz about this and writing it in big letters on the chalk board)
Now i'm not perfect but it truely makes me mad when people don't know how to use they're, there, and their. "I go their on Sunday", "There going tomorrow" It boggles my mind how you just can't know that's incorrect lol. And also all the other ones like we're, were, etc.
I am even so crazy that it bugs me when people don't know when to use 'then' and 'than'
Now i'm not perfect. I make mistakes, or just in general may not know certain grammatical rules and whatnot. But i like to think i know the basics, and can get my point across clearly.

mommyd
06-29-2007, 10:48 AM

It is quite bad. I find when i am using msn i will type my thoughts quickly and will make mistakes, especially if it's late. I usually back track what i wrote and correct things, or if i send it anyways i " *(type whtever i got wrong correctly)"

But what's even worse than ppl just not knowing how to spell, punctuate properly, are the ppl who do it on purpose!!!!! I don't like it when children do it, but whatever, they are children. But if i see adults doing it, i can't even bring myself to respect them (if they're doing it on purpose because they think it's "cool" or whatever)

mommyd
06-29-2007, 10:56 AM
It has nothing to do with the internet that so many are blaming, but with the school system itself. Like I said in an earlier posting about our 'great teachers'in our school system; they just don't care anymore and the faster they can grab their check and go home the better it is for them. I was quite amazed at my oldest son, who did graduate, that he hardly knew how to spell anything over 5 or 6 letters. Hell,he couldn't even write a paragraph(if you could get him to write,kids don't do much of that either) that was without at least several misspellings. I was shocked but not surprised as he was not alone with this problem as I myself knew grads my age that couldn't spell either. Another reason there is so much misspelling on the sites is that a lot of 'lower-educated' people acquire a computer(instant genuis) and , well...you can figger the rest ! I myself after writing anything,have enough pride in myself to proof-read what I have written before sending it out there to people to read. I notice that 'very' few people,even on this site, do that. Heck,read the morning paper on the computer and you'll wonder how they hire proof-readers cause some of the mistakes found make you wonder if they just grab someone off the street and say "your a proof-reader now !",lol. - It's a sad state of affairs when our 'system' rushes the children through our schools with no care or concern on a very basic and necessary element of education-Grammar ! - Rick.

I believe that it's the parents who should be keeping the closest eye on their children's education. If my son (who is 4 at the moment) was having that hard a time spelling (which woud probably start way before senior year) i would take it up on myself to make sure i helped him get better at it in time for graduating.

mommyd
06-29-2007, 11:05 AM
I was wondering how long before those"greedy teachers" were blamed! Is there anyone out there that accepts responsibility for themselves? My children were well prepared when they entered school. I worked with my children every night, doing homework with them. I encouraged all my children to read. I encouraged my children to take pride in their work and to always do their best. I was always in attendance at parent teacher. I made the time to volunteer at my children's schools. I guess it is easier to blame them there greedy teachers!:rolleyes:

I agree with you. SO many people want to make it out to be the teacher's fault if their child is doing badly. Sure, there are probably some teachers out there who aren't the best, but the ones who do work hard, but still "turn out" children who aren't up to par, still get blamed for the child's inadequacies. The number one party with the responsibilty of a child's education is the parents. Check homework, talk to the teacher, help the child with homework, get tutors if need be. You bring a child into this world, it's your responsibilty to make sure you prepare them the best you can for their future.
Teachers these days have so many issues to deal with, yet they are so limited in what they are allowed to do. These days, because of some parents lack of parenting, there are so many children in the school system who are disruptive, yet the teacher is supposed to deal with it and teach.

dan j
07-02-2007, 01:37 AM
You people are so silly! I've listened to rap music since I was 7 or 8 years old and I have noticed many lazy spelling and grammar mistakes you have collectively written in this thread while talking about the errors of others and blaming rap music. Get over yourselves. Proper communication has nothing to do with music but everything to do with just taking some responsibility for the things you write; taking a bit of extra time to check spelling, reread what you've written, and visiting a few websites like www.askoxford.com .

oldnugly
07-02-2007, 09:11 AM
i myself am not that good at writing. i have an automatic spell thingy that underlines words like thingy as i write them. usually i go back and try a couple different spellings and if i don't get it after 4 or 5 tries, i re-form my sentence and use a different word. punctuation is something else i am not so great at.

i agree with rickster to a certain extent. i don't want to be misunderstood. so i do go back and proof a little. once upon a time i had a good grasp on this language. i had a large and colorful vocabulary but more often than not people look at you and **** their heads. like a dog that just heard a funny noise. as was said about hook. a man so deep he is almost unfathomable. now i don't spend so time typing and worrying about being criticized. it is not worth it. i find it hard to believe that anyone sitting in front of this box does not have a couple seconds to go over a post twice.

that being said. i would never criticize anyone on this site for not being able to spell or for having poor grammar. i would much rather take my time and commend people like dan j and a few others for being able to write the way they do. everyone has a thing. i may not want dan j to work on my airplane. but if i was wrongly committed and needed to go public with my story i would be giving him a call.

i would also like to say that i hate to think that someone on this site would not share an opinion for fear of being criticized for spelling errors.

feel free to criticize my post.
i might try harder next time, but i doubt it.