PDA

View Full Version : Stop signs mean STOP!

SeanM
06-24-2007, 09:39 AM
Please, for the love of GOD watch where you're going when you are turning at an intersection. You have to realize that there are motorcycles on the road, and you are going to kill someone if you don't pay more attention and watch for them before you pull away! I'm sick of nearly t-boning people that don't see me comming.

Rickster
06-24-2007, 10:05 AM
I feel for ya being an ex-biker myself from the 'old days'.BUT, I've also seen alot of the younger bikers that must feel indestructable nowadays because of the way they all of a sudden pull out from behind a car that is turning and although one does look both ways when pulling out,one can not anticipate a bike appearing from nowhere all of a sudden when this 'impatient ' biker does this and expects to be yeilded to. Should have thought of that before he pulled out in a hurry from that turning car !! So if your one of these ignorant,impatient,bikers that adopts this kind of riding as your method of 'racing' through traffic,then the sudden scares should put some sense into your head and tell you to slow down !!.I know this is not always the case but happens quite a lot in traffic and when I see this ,i usually say to myself...well, that guys going to get it someday !!.Not saying this is you, but some of you 'bikers' out there think that us larger vehicle drivers can stop on a dime for ya's. Not me, and if I pull out and scare ya then you were either moving too fast or too busy looking at the skirt to be driving safetly. Like I said,it may not be you,but a lot of bikers(new)don't have any respect for other drivers on the road as they are too busy looking around to see who is looking at them and their new bike !! - Rick.

SeanM
06-24-2007, 10:25 AM
That's not me. I'm a more mature/responsible rider. These people just aren't paying attention. I know those biker's do exist....however the "cagers" need to be more attentive as well. I wrote off a bike last year, obeying the speed limit, nobody in front of me....a woman pulled out of a stop sign and turned left right in front of me. Happened again today too, luckily I was able to avoid this one.

Nail
06-25-2007, 01:26 PM
I have heard that even certain driving instructors teach their students to drive illegally. They tell them that instead of stopping at the stop sign and inching up to see oncoming traffic, to do it in one motion. Drive into the street a bit (over the sidewalk crossing) and be ready to go. .... i drive a car and it still annoys me.

trinity
06-25-2007, 02:07 PM
I get it all the time too, I live south and I will be driving up Wentworth or Carmarthen and someone will come out of Duke or Queen or Princess from the sides looking for all the world like they aren't going to stop. [news flash, putting on the brakes for the first time after the tail end of your car has passed the stop sign is going to get you t-boned someday]. I know from my own experience that at most corners on those streets you really can't see if anything is coming if you are stopped where you are supposed to stop, but at least stop first back at the stop sign, then slowly go out, don't just keep sailing like you own the street because you don't.

Flaxie
06-26-2007, 07:26 AM
As a pedestrian there is nothing I hate worse then having to walk out into the street to get around someone who is stopped at an intersection. I swear one of these days I’m going to march right over the hood of someone’s car or open the back door and go through to the other side.
So if you ever happen to see a deranged chubby lady barging over the hood of a car you’ll know it’s me and I have finally snapped!!! :rofl:

tred816
06-26-2007, 08:37 PM
lol funny Flaxie.

This thred hit a nerve with me because I just had a motorcycle cut me off the other day. I was driving down the road and he just pulled right out of a Tim Horton's Drive through and one second, he was behind me, the next he cut around me, didn't stop at all at a 4 way intersection and drove on as if he owned the road.

I guess it shows the frustration goes both ways. I had a child in the car with me and although, going slow enough that we wouldn't have been hurt, imagine the trauma that child would have experienced knowing we hit some poor motorcycle driver.

It really ticked me off, after I got over the initial "omg did he just do that?????"

trinity
06-26-2007, 09:02 PM
As a pedestrian there is nothing I hate worse then having to walk out into the street to get around someone who is stopped at an intersection. I swear one of these days I’m going to march right over the hood of someone’s car or open the back door and go through to the other side.
So if you ever happen to see a deranged chubby lady barging over the hood of a car you’ll know it’s me and I have finally snapped!!! :rofl:

Me, if someone is stopped over the crosswalk, I cross behind them, it's safer as they are obviously in too much of a hurry and might not notice me. I also hate it when I wait and wait a long time to get out of a street to have some pedestrian stroll slowly in front of me and take my only chance to go, to me that's rude. I always hang back and let the car go when I am walking to work and see them waiting. Once again, always better to be safe and inconvenienced than right and dead.

Flaxie
06-27-2007, 08:36 AM
I also hate it when I wait and wait a long time to get out of a street to have some pedestrian stroll slowly in front of me and take my only chance to go, to me that's rude. I always hang back and let the car go when I am walking to work and see them waiting. Once again, always better to be safe and inconvenienced than right and dead.

I agree with you completely! I always cross with the lights so the drivers whose cars I am walking by have to stop for the red light. If I'm at a crosswalk that does not have lights I wait for a clear opening or someone to stop. I always walk quickly and give a friendly wave of thanks when someone does stop to let me cross. (unless my arms are full lol) What I was referring to was drivers who stop at a red light/stop sign and pull out over the pedestrian crossing while they wait. Now I don't drive so I may be wrong....but I really can not see what advantage this is to the driver other than a way to irk the people trying to cross.

Rae_Maill
06-27-2007, 02:01 PM
I would be very, very careful crossing behind a car that is pulled over the crosswalk, when i was in highschool I almost got hit doing that, because the moron who was driving realized he was on a cross walk way to late and decided to throw the car in reverse.