PDA

View Full Version : Diesel(puppy problems)

JBGB
06-18-2007, 10:04 PM
Ok I have a 6 month old rottie/lab mix who is a wonderful boy and I love him very much.. but I can not break him of peeing in my apartment... now he doesnt do this very often but like for example if i feed him before I take him out he will go and pee somewheres as soon as hes done eating and he knows its wrong because he tries to hide as soon as hes done.. now he goes out very often and i know an apartment isnt the greatest place for a dog but im moving in less then 3 weeks back out to my moms place while shes living in bc..its way past the airport.. anyways off topic.. also he wont pee in his kennel but hell lift his leg and pee outside of it.. we have one of those big wire crates and no matter what we come home and there is pee on the floor beside the crate.. even if he pees right before we leave, he is not left alone for very long periods of time.. he wont poop in the house only pees and its starting to get very frustrating.. . i clean with a cleaner.. and it has no ammonia in it.. ive had dogs all my life and have usually had no problem housebreaking them.. I adopted him from the spca when he was about 6 weeks and they said he was paper trained which wasnt true( he peed beside the paper and same goes wheni tried puppy pads) but i never had a really huge problem with him when he was younger.. someone please help!! im pulling my hair out here.. ( but i would never get rid of him because i love him to death, id learn to deal with the pee if i had too) sorry its so long i guess i needed to rant a little about it..lol i just want him to be the best doggie i know he can be and im doing my best to help him, he is well socialized with both people and animals as i have a huge family with lots of animals and little kids.. and he goes for long walks everyday and night and taken out often in between, I actually have someone stop by my place and take him out in the middle of my work shift so that breaks up the hours of him being in his kennel( my dad takes him for a walk)..anyways.. any advice or suggestions or similiar experiences would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Jenn :cool:

mouse
06-18-2007, 11:19 PM
i got a 2 year old dog for easter oif this year and she is a wonderful dog but when ever we went out (even if only for 15 - 30 mins) she would pee dn poop int he house adn we tried jsut about everything but nothing was working then i desided to take one treat with us on our walk (one of those snausages) and broke it in 1/2 and gave 1/2 for peeing and 1/2 for pooping out side i did this and within a few days she learned that she only gets her treat if she goes outside, i did this for a few weeks and now she goes outside and hasnt peed or pooped int he house for about a month and a half. i found it really work so maybe you should try it. i was very surprised at the outcome of it
hope it helps you some

JBGB
06-19-2007, 06:13 PM
well ive tried the whole treat thing, he didnt even know I had the treats on me but after a little while he realized that if he peed he got a treat.. so he would pee a little bit and I would think he was done after being outside for 20-30 mins but hed finish in the house just to get the treat.. I praise him for ever good thing he does including going outside and scold for anytihng bad.. he never poops in the house only pees.... i dont feed him or water him before he goes in his crate and i take him out before i leave but he still does it.. hes fine when we leave but when im home, i cant even go to the bathroom by myself he has to be with me at all times..its cute but gets really annoying sometimes when i just wan to have a bath or something and hes scratching at the door.. doesnt matter that my bf is with him, it only matters that he cant see me.. lol but we are working on it and he now has a little friend( i have a 9 week old puppy too and they love each other) Ive got my hands full but its worth it because i love them both.. i just need him to stop peeing in the house, im hoping it will be better once i move back out country becasue i have a dog kennel all set up outside that hell be able to go in when ileave for work until my brother comes home 2 hours later... i have tried everything i can think of even staying out until he goes( which in the winter time got very very cold) and hell go when when i get home there is pee on the floor beside the crate..uhhhhhh im just frustrated :(

Atchbe
06-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Sounds like you have a confused puppy.

I take him out he will go and pee somewheres as soon as hes done eating and he knows its wrong because he tries to hide as soon as hes done
A puppy doesn't understand that eliminating in the house is bad and wrong. They just know that for some unknown reason their owner can become unpredictable and angry.

If you scold a puppy for eliminating in the house it should be done properly and never after the fact, even seconds after the fact as pup's have very short memory spans. So, for example puppy urinates in the house as she hasn't really been learning how to do things properly and does not associate the mistakes in the house as being wrong. So, there she does her business starts playing and not thinking about what she did then here comes Mom or Dad and they look pretty mad...why? the puppy doesn't understand. This can lead to all sorts of behavior problems such as seperation anxiety (fear of owner coming home), fear biting, never really learning properly where to eliminate. If you catch your puppy making a mistake, pick the puppy up (if possible while making the mistake-tuck tail between legs) and take outside. Once the pup finishes outside praise. Or, after meals take the pup outside and stay out with the pup until the pup does the potty business then praise and play outside for a few minutes.

Think of training a human child to potty, each time the baby makes a mistake in their diapers you come in after the fact see the dirty diaper and slap the child or scold..or worse, rub the babies nose in it. What is this human baby learning...the baby is learning to fear the parent.

Read this article on house training. It gives step by step on how to train positive. I've trained intact male dogs that have never lived in a house before using these methods and they work when applied properly.:D

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1548&articleid=157

Animals learn from positive training and redirectional techniques. Many people who use punishing and corrective training normally suppress the pets behavior and worse behavioral problems can begin.

JBGB
06-20-2007, 05:22 PM
well I already know there is no point in scolding him for doing something that i did not see... its when i see him come from say the kitchen looking like he just did something and i go in the kitchen and find pee on the floor.. i show him what he did, never do i put his face in it or slap him, but he sees the pee thne we go right outside for a while, and i do take him right out after eating but there have been times when i was in the bathroom or trying to find something and he pees right before i take him out.. his schedule is the same he goes out the same amount which is quite a bit.. every 45 mins to an hour whether its for a walk or just to get some fresh air..ive never had a dog so happy to see someone when we get home.. and he has nothing to fear us for as we have never hit him and i only use one word if scolding like no or bad and i never yell as ive noticed by watching other people that yelling does not work or help the situation but thank you very much for the link, im always reading up on different things to try and have found some to work very well when applied properly. i once was given a 2 year old husky that had never been in the house before and he learned quickly with some advice i found online.. thanks again.. btw he is getting better its been about 4/5 days and no accidents from him...now my yorkie poo i got fomr someone who got her form the pet store now that well save for another day :)

Ps the line you quoted me on-- in case its confusing

what i meant was if i take diesel out right before i feed him.. we have no problem

but if i take him out say an hour before i feed him or an hour and a half.. as soon as he is done eating and im not right there to take him out( i may be in the bathroom or something) he will pee on the floor..

Atchbe
06-20-2007, 06:18 PM
well I already know there is no point in scolding him for doing something that i did not see... its when i see him come from say the kitchen looking like he just did something and i go in the kitchen and find pee on the floor
This is what I mean, by this time it's too late and the puppy just sees how you are acting and acts submissive = which looks to you that the pup is guilty. ;) If you are going to correct the house breaking problem you need to catch the pup "in the act". Eliminating is a normal process which you just need to teach the pup the proper place to go...once the pup has finished the duty you cannot reprimend at that time. We as humans try to put too many human emotions onto our animals...which we shouldn't do:)

Ps the line you quoted me on-- in case its confusing
That is a link to a site with a write up on proper house breaking techniques. All you need to do is double click on it and you will be taken to the link I provided.:)

JBGB
06-20-2007, 07:02 PM
thanks again.... also he does have a favorite spot outside that as soon as we go out thats where he goes..seriously he pees in this spot every single time, even before we go for a walk.. but he is getting better the last couple days.. ive been reading the article from earlier.. lol im bored just sitting here at work... ill be happy when the weekends here.. we are off to my grandparents for the weekend which means diesel gets to play with Chloe(black lab) and Bailey( English Cocker) and he gets to basically run around all day... sorry rambling on, being bored at works does that to ya lol :)