PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic, Gel or Solar nails??

shadoww
06-18-2007, 07:36 PM
I am considering getting my nails done, years ago I had acrylic nails but I hear the new thing is Gel or Solar nails. Which would you recommend?? Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of whichever ones you have tried, the maintance, the cost and where would you recommend I go to get them? From what I have read online Solar is the best but is there even anywhere in the city you can get them?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Olpkrazy
06-18-2007, 07:52 PM
I've had gel nails done by the Ambiance Day Spa in Market Square. They were gorgeous and I loved they way that they looked, but they just weren't for me. I use my hands a lot, and I just felt as though they got in the way. Up-keep was sort of a pain, too, having to make an appointment every 2-3 weeks to get them filled in. Getting the nails done cost me $65 plus tax, and fills were $35 plus tax. Ambiance was a great place to get them done; the atmosphere is really relaxing and the aestheticians do a great job :)

megz
06-18-2007, 08:14 PM
gel nails aren't new....i've been getting them for over 3 years now... they are just more expensive and more shiney then acrylic i've never heard of solar nails.. but gel nails are wayyy better then acrylic

shadoww
06-18-2007, 08:18 PM
gel nails aren't new....i've been getting them for over 3 years now... they are just more expensive and more shiney then acrylic i've never heard of solar nails.. but gel nails are wayyy better then acrylic

I just meant new since I wore acrylic nails years ago.( about 15 years actually)

shadoww
06-19-2007, 07:35 AM
I have heard about the solar nails from some online friends so I am not even sure if they are available in Saint John. Thye say they are the best out of the 3 types

habsfan10
06-19-2007, 10:29 AM
I had the acrylic ones done. I loved them alot. When I had mine they were 45.00 to get them on and 25.00 for the fill about every three weeks. if you broke one or damaged one, it was free replacement. now that was about 6 years ago at Jackies Nails on Prince William st. Now I do them myself, lol lol glue em on and pop em off. hehehehehehe

tred816
06-19-2007, 11:54 AM
I've had gel nails a few times now. I've never bothered with maintenance as I get tired of them after a while lol.
They're about $60 at S&M Nails in McAllister Place. They do a great job.
Pedicures are the best! I had one last year and 1 this year and both times, I've been very impressed with the fact that the polish doesn't peal off.
I've never had Solar or Acrylic.
The downside is probably the same for all. Upkeep, painful when they break off and cumbersome if they get too long.

maggie_sj
06-20-2007, 07:37 AM
[QUOTE= S&M Nails in McAllister Place. They do a great job.
QUOTE]

Not really.. lol I have been getting my nails done for years. And I find they are in too much of a rush to do a good job. They made my nails bleed:(:(
Queen nails is a good spot.The shop might not look the greatest, but it is well worth it!He does a great job.
And Gel nails are "supossed" to be stronger and look more natural. But I still like my Acrylic:)

shadoww
06-20-2007, 08:05 AM
[QUOTE= S&M Nails in McAllister Place. They do a great job.
QUOTE]

Not really.. lol I have been getting my nails done for years. And I find they are in too much of a rush to do a good job. They made my nails bleed:(:(
Queen nails is a good spot.The shop might not look the greatest, but it is well worth it!He does a great job.
And Gel nails are "supossed" to be stronger and look more natural. But I still like my Acrylic:)

A coworker of my hubby recommended Queens as well, she has been going there for years and said it is great!

adorabull
06-20-2007, 01:13 PM
[quote= S&M Nails in McAllister Place. They do a great job.
QUOTE]

When you get nails on at all, your nails or cuticles are NOT supposed to bleed, that is a sign of being to rough and buffing to hard or to much.
Acrylics are stronger then Gel, they make gels now that have fibers in then and hypoallergenic, and some for toenails even.

When getting enhancments, please remember, that all the impliments are supposed to be disinfected, if your cuticles bled I dont think the next person wants them to use the same file, risk of Hep, HIV what have you, and that is a huge issue with mechanical tools IE Drills, they cannot be submersed into disinfectant, fungal infections are another issue as well. That is the only problem I have with willy at queen nails, grosses me out actually. and its not exsactly supposed to hurt, the only time mine ever hurt with gel nails is when they cured them under the UV lamp the gel actually shink fits to your nail, that can be a bit uncomfortible, if it burns your nails are to thin.

If you want great nails, from an Aesthetican I HIGHLY reccomend Jaime London, out at Rothesay commons foot care clinic, she used to be an instructor, at the cosmotology school here in Saint John.

As an Aesthetican myslef I reccommend asking how the tools are disinfected, and what disinfectant they use. Lysol or Mr clean is not exceptible!! hospital grade Quatinary solution. for atleast 10 minutes, wiping them with alcohol isnt enough either.

And always look for diplomas, or ask if they have taken any additional courses on the product.

And get the best bang for your buck, and piece of mind as well.
Hope this sheds some light