PDA

View Full Version : City of Seattle may ban microwave popcorn in workplace... "Stand By Your Corn"

AreWeThereYetMom
06-15-2007, 12:08 AM
Just read this on the news... funny but so true!!
Happens to be one of my top 'work pet peeves'
- you know you just wanna pop common sense into some folks! Stand by your corn!!

Happened beside me once in the work lunch room - lady cooks popcorn - leaves kitchen - returns to pick it up starts to open it - realizes its burnt then drops it into the garbage can still smoking - leaves in total embarrassment.

SEATTLE - City employees received a memo stating popcorn could be banned from their offices following several microwave popcorn mishaps at City Hall.
Officials say burnt popcorn can force 200 to 600 employees out onto the street.
"You know, when smoke happens in a microwave, it sets the smoke detectors off in the building and then an evacuation is required," said Seattle Facilities Director Pedro Vasquez.
An evacuation forces employees to spend some 40 minutes away from their desks while firefighters arrive and shut off the alarm. Officials say that's a waste of time and resources.
"Well, I thought it was very funny," said City Councilwoman Jean Godden.
Godden and others may find the heat over popcorn humorous, but the powers that be that issued the memo say it's serious business.
"Our intent isn't to ban popcorn, our intent is solely to get the information out there," Vasquez said.
The city says it wants employees to listen to the "pop" to know when to stop. It says it's just asking employees to stand by their corn.