PDA

View Full Version : rogers

wiggy
06-07-2007, 12:09 PM
we had a celler phone phone and was stollen out of our car .so we cancelled it,and so did rothesay did, we still had a week left on our contract .they been phoniny steady for us to pay boll in which we donot ow because we did not notified that was stollen 30 days ahead off the time we cancelled so why would you pay for something you donot have

mypooh
06-07-2007, 12:31 PM
yeah good luck with that one...I canceled both my rogers cell phones last July 28th and the contract was up on Aug 4th. To my knowledge they have yet to cancel it. I've been fighting with them ever since, they cut it off due to lack of payment and were charging me the whole time after I had canceled it. Now they say I owe them this huge bill and I have to pay that to re-connect it before they cancel it...as if...they finally stopped harrassing me last month when I told them they weren't getting two pennies from me since the bill was because they did not do their job and canceled the phones when I had originally called...

dan j
06-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Rogers requires 30 days prior notice to cancel any service regardless of it being stolen/lost/or in service. It's right in their service agreement. Your best bet is to call in and cancel like you would normally cancel had you not even lost the phone. Better yet, wait til the day after your contract is over and sign up for service with another provider and port your number over. That way, the other provider will take care of the disconnection of the service for you. You, of course, will still be required to pay the final bill as deemed so in your service agreement (30 days notice in this case).

The_Dave
06-07-2007, 06:11 PM
For me, any issues I have with companies, speaking with a supervisor usually corrects the situation.

kaj27
06-07-2007, 06:46 PM
For me, any issues I have with companies, speaking with a supervisor usually corrects the situation.

So in other words. If you don't get your way, Stomp your feet like a child to get what you want.

Dynamic
06-07-2007, 07:07 PM
[edited out]

The_Dave
06-07-2007, 07:49 PM
Very well said Dynamic. Hahahahahahaha. No kaj27, what I mean is CSR's only have so much to work with, I know alot of them try there best to resolve issues for customers but again, their hands are tied. They only have so much power. Instead of taking frustrations out on the everyday hardworking CSR, ask to speak to management or a Customer Relations Group, this will almost always get immediate results. The squeaky wheel gets the grease my friend.

jdcb
06-07-2007, 08:58 PM
Edited out

I agree with Kaj. I worked as a CSR for the past 4 and a halve years for two companies. Both first level and up. When I was first level at one place, I had a lot of power, and did everything i could whether it was by the book or not to get the customer satisfied with out product and service.

When I was the one they were escalated to, yes, I had more power. But I would receive calls from people that would not even talk to the first lvl CSR at all. When I would receive this I would give them only what the book said I must. I quite often denied a customer free products for satisfaction on an escalation, that I would have told my first level to give out without thinking. Yes they got it quick and with no frustration (on my end) but they would have got more if they weren't so pig headed (talking about customers I delt with) and just dealt with the lvl 1.

And what was beautiful about my position, the only place higher they could go was to the CEO office. Which incidentally handed all of thier escalations down to myself and the guy beside me.

So sometimes demanding the sup isn't the best way. I'm not saying don't because The Daves point is valid, I ask for Sup's every now and then too. But sometimes your shooting yourself in the foot, so to speak. So asking for a Sup when you don't like the answer isn't always the best policy.

Foxhound
06-07-2007, 09:22 PM
I agree with Kaj. I worked as a CSR for the past 4 and a halve years for two companies. Both first level and up. When I was first level at one place, I had a lot of power, and did everything i could whether it was by the book or not to get the customer satisfied with out product and service.

When I was the one they were escalated to, yes, I had more power. But I would receive calls from people that would not even talk to the first lvl CSR at all. When I would receive this I would give them only what the book said I must. I quite often denied a customer free products for satisfaction on an escalation, that I would have told my first level to give out without thinking. Yes they got it quick and with no frustration (on my end) but they would have got more if they weren't so pig headed (talking about customers I delt with) and just dealt with the lvl 1.

And what was beautiful about my position, the only place higher they could go was to the CEO office. Which incidentally handed all of thier escalations down to myself and the guy beside me.

So sometimes demanding the sup isn't the best way. I'm not saying don't because The Daves point is valid, I ask for Sup's every now and then too. But sometimes your shooting yourself in the foot, so to speak. So asking for a Sup when you don't like the answer isn't always the best policy.
In theory yes. Asking for a managers/supervisor may get you your way IF you get a pushover of a supervisor. Bottom line is policy is policy and if you get a supervisor that knows the ins and outs of a policy then your pretty much screwed.

The_Dave
06-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Ok folks, let me spell it out for you. Ready?? I am talking about situations where after several and I mean several attempts, as explained at the start of this thread, to get the situation resolved at 1st level CSR support, and your frustration level boiling, rather than continue dealing with 1st level and getting no where, ask for a supervisor or customer relations. You do not just call and ask for a supervisor or customer relations immediately without giving first level the chance to resolve it. Ok, are we all clear now??? Sheesh.

jdcb, sounds like you are not customer service oriented at all. You are suppose to go above and beyond for the customer, even if you do not like it. A happy customer is a repeat customer. They pay your salary. If I were monitoring you, and sensed your tone that you just explained here, well it would be heavy duty coaching for you and if your attitude toward the customer continued, you would be fired.

If I were the CEO also, I would have looked into why you could not handle the situation properly also. That is why you had that job. The CEO has no time to clean up after you. Again, you would have been fired and replaced by someone who made sure the CEO didn't get bothered by issues you could not handle or failed to handle properly.

I also suggest you take Kaj27 advice.

jdcb
06-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Ok folks, let me spell it out for you. Ready?? I am talking about situations where after several and I mean several attempts, as explained at the start of this thread, to get the situation resolved at 1st level CSR support, and your frustration level boiling, rather than continue dealing with 1st level and getting no where, ask for a supervisor or customer relations. You do not just call and ask for a supervisor or customer relations immediately without giving first level the chance to resolve it. Ok, are we all clear now??? Sheesh.

jdcb, sounds like you are not customer service oriented at all. You are suppose to go above and beyond for the customer, even if you do not like it. A happy customer is a repeat customer. They pay your salary. If I were monitoring you, and sensed your tone that you just explained here, well it would be heavy duty coaching for you and if your attitude toward the customer continued, you would be fired.

If I were the CEO also, I would have looked into why you could not handle the situation properly also. That is why you had that job. The CEO has no time to clean up after you. Again, you would have been fired and replaced by someone who made sure the CEO didn't get bothered by issues you could not handle or failed to handle properly.

I also suggest you take Kaj27 advice.

Wow, what a hammer you threw at me there. Too bad your targetting is off.

I was not contesting your first post, note the bottom of my message where I said that (put this one near the top).

And I am extremely customer service oriented. I've been coached on going too far for the customer. I have been monitored by the CEO's office multiple times and they found that I was doing an awesome job (I got a mug for it). I never said I was rude or condesending to the customer. Just mentioned that they hit the 'freebie' wall a little sooner.

edited: I keep spelling too with only one o

The_Dave
06-07-2007, 10:13 PM
In any event, that is the way your post came off. Thanks for catching the hammer.

jdcb
06-07-2007, 10:17 PM
In any event, that is the way your post came off. Thanks for catching the hammer.

No problem, just didn't want to be misunderstood.

Actually, I didn't catch the hammer. It hit my brother. But don't worry, he needed it...

jdcb
06-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Reported! ;)

awe great, now I have another one of those e-mails...

but I think your right...

jdcb
06-07-2007, 10:23 PM
awe great, now I have another one of those e-mails...

but I think your right...

done...

and don't hesitate to report in the future, it is a useful feature that helps us mods out...

MissMem
06-07-2007, 11:09 PM
I seem to hear many of these stories from rogers customers. We had problems with them over cell phones and the 30 day period as well when my father died. The contract was in his name, even though it was my phone and we wanted to cancel it, as well as change all the bills over to my mom's name. They wouldn't let us transfer the name on the bill or cancel the cell contract because they needed 30 days notice so they kept billing us for the cell phone. In the end my mom was so mad at them for the hassle with their 30 day policy because his death was sudden she told them to grab a shovel and start digging because he was supposed to pay the bill. We cancelled everything we had with them and went across the street to aliant and got new everything..phone, internet, cell, etc. They wouldn't let us take back the internet modem becuase it was not in my mom's name either so she took it in and left it on their counter. We haven't gone back since.

jdcb
06-07-2007, 11:19 PM
I know. I was so glad when I didn't have to use them for cable anymore either...

dan j
06-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Personally, I hate a 30 day policy that a lot of companies use, including Rogers. However, if you are bound to a contract and that is in the service agreement, there isn't much you can do. Consumers should be protected against these sorts of policies and people should get on their politicians to help them be protected against these money grabbing policies. Customers should be able to cancel a service and not be charged from the day they want to stop using it.

Anyway, back to the orignal complaint. Best bet is to try escalating the issue but it may still get pushed back. In that case, do what I originally said and that is to wait til the day after your contract ends (to avoid penalties) and port your number to another company.

wiggy
06-08-2007, 05:05 PM
we had a celler phone phone and was stollen out of our car .so we cancelled it,and so did rothesay did, we still had a week left on our contract .they been phoniny steady for us to pay boll in which we donot ow because we did not notified that was stollen 30 days ahead off the time we cancelled so why would you pay for something you donot have
this phone wasa give from someone out west for christmas and we did not sign a contract but we paid for it by the month,i guess you have to tellthe theif a month ahead time to stell it and notified rogers that it is being taken before the end of the month and then cancelled it it is pretty bad when two people cancelled because the phone on the same day and they do not take your word

dan j
06-08-2007, 05:49 PM
I'm not even sure what you're talking about now. What exactly are you trying to say?

dan j
06-08-2007, 05:59 PM
OK, I read your posts about 5 times and get the gist of what you're trying to say.

I think you're not understanding the situation.

Rogers doesn't, and shouldn't, care that you're phone is stolen. It is not up to them to make sure you have a phone to use for your service. If you break, lose, or have you phone stolen it is up to you to find a replacement but you're still on the hook for your bill even if you do not use the service.

It may not seem fair but it is how they do business and if you want to disconnect with them you have to give 30 days notice regardless if you use the service for those 30 days or not.

Sorry for your loss but you're going to have to suck it up and I don't think you'll have much chance with getting their decision reversed as you have a hard time communicating clearly so they may not have any idea what you're actually trying to say.

notfarnow
06-08-2007, 06:06 PM
lol

blueyes
06-08-2007, 06:06 PM
well get this, i had a cell phone from rogers and my plan was all paid up and i had it an extra 10 months. Then i had surgury i called rogers to cancel my phone and the lady said sure.
then the next month when i got my bill they never canceled it, so i called again and then the lady i was talking to told me i couldn't cancel it because i now owe a bill and that they can't cancel it, but i tryed to explain it to the lady that i was on the phone with,that i didn't have a bill when i wanted to cancel. she was telling me there was no record of me calling. i had my b/f here and got him on the phone and telling her that i did ask to cancell my phone with no billing oweing.So she cancelled my phone.
Well then the next month they tried to charge me $200 for early cancelation. I called them up again and told them to look at my account and see when i signed my contract. they told me to throw out that notice for $200, but they were still charging me for my phone. so now after 3 months they charged me my monthly payment for my phone and i called them up again and tryed to get it settled and have this bill dealt with. i even asked for the supervisior and then the manager, and the ladies i was talking to told me that they couldn't do that. that i had to talk to them and them only.
so finally i told them that i was calling the BBB and reporting them for fraud for a service they where charging me. that i ask them to cancel and never did. then they stop charging me my monthly bill. And to this day i still owe a bill and i refuse to pay it.

Flaxie
06-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Did you go ahead and contact the BBB?

The_Dave
06-08-2007, 07:01 PM
dan j I understand it is a business, BUT companies need to show compassion and show empathy in certain circumstances. This is a stolen phone for crying out loud, why should anyone have to keep paying for that if it is reported promptly and truthfully. Do you think mastercard and visa would continue to bill you after you reported the theft of your credit card, other than your outstanding balance prior to the theft?

dan j
06-08-2007, 07:16 PM
If your TV was stolen, would you expect to continue to pay your TV bill until you replaced your TV?

sanstu
06-08-2007, 08:39 PM
I agree with you The Dave. It seems to me at one time if your cell phone was stolen you could have the service suspended, however you were still required to pay (I believe) $20.00 per month until your contract was up.(much cheaper than paying full amount per month) The other option is to buy your contract out. Depending how long is left on contract this may be a better option. This option may also put you in a better position to negotiate a deal with Rogers. (no company wants to lose customers) Good luck and hope this helps.

jdcb
06-09-2007, 08:28 AM
If your TV was stolen, would you expect to continue to pay your TV bill until you replaced your TV?

I don't recall the cable company providing me the tv to use for the service. I do recall having to get a phone from the company before getting cell phone service.

wiggy
06-09-2007, 10:35 AM
we cancelled the phone but they still keep billing it was cancelled the day it was stollen and there was still time on it ,but they still keep calling ,they stated that they would not reverse the money they ow to us for cancelled it before the end month we have give up on them and took our bussiness else where and better service thankyou

dan j
06-09-2007, 10:42 AM
The phone company providing you with a phone for your service is for a few reasons; none of them having to do with them being responsible to provide you with a phone, it's a courtesy.

Phones are provided because they're expensive and when you sign onto a term the company will subsidize the price of the phone to high amount (sometimes 100%). Back when cellular was brand new customers bought phones at the full retail price all the time and there was no such thing as subsidies. When companies wanted to bring on more people to the service one of the only ways to do this was to provide them at a price point customers were willing to pay ($0-$199 for most phones). This changed the mindset of people to view phones as actually having that value and also got them demanding that phones be provided for that price at all times during the life of the term regardless of when the last time the company subsidized them.

Cellular service is very technical and different service providers want to provide their customers with phones that have been tested and approved for their network. Therefore, companies like Rogers, Aliant, and Telus all provide tested and approved hardware for their respective networks. This ensures that the customer who gets a phone can use the service to its full capacity.

That said, it is not the company's responsibility to provide a customer with a phone to use the service at all times; it's the customers. Cellular providers somehow are perceived to have to provide the service AND a device to use the service and that is a wrong assumption. The cellular provider (if you read the service agreements by each company) agrees to provide a person with cellular service if they have a device to use that service. Just like a TV company will feed your home with the proper signal to watch TV but if you don't have a device to watch TV on, it's your problem. The ONLY difference is TV companies do not subsidize the price of TVs for customers (to my knowledge) and TV signals are all technically uniform at the point of connection to the TV (S cable, coaxial, and RCA for the most part); therefore any retail outlet can sell a TV a person can watch.

Finally, I've already given my personal "feeling" about the situation. I know what SHOULD be done and what I FEEL IS RIGHT. I'm only arguing the realistic situation wiggy finds himself and the logic behind the situation. There is a difference although getting people to understand logic on isaintjohn can be as easy as sticking a burdock into my pee hole.

t-bone
06-09-2007, 10:45 AM
when you sign a deal with rogers or aliant, it basically says that they will give you a phone and you will buy thier service for a set amount of time. if you lose your phone, get it wet, break it or it gets stolen, that is your problem. you still have to continue to buy their service until the contract is over. your best option is get another phone, new or used, and use it to finish up your contract.

dan j
06-09-2007, 10:48 AM
when you sign a deal with rogers or aliant, it basically says that they will give you a phone and you will buy thier service for a set amount of time. if you lose your phone, get it wet, break it or it gets stolen, that is your problem. you still have to continue to buy their service until the contract is over. your best option is get another phone, new or used, and use it to finish up your contract.

Thank you. Finally someone gets it.

Bawango
06-09-2007, 12:12 PM
Thank you. Finally someone gets it.
Yup. My mom lost her phone a few months back and she was under contract. She ended up buying a used RAZR from here and she still paid for the time that she did not have a phone.

jdcb
06-09-2007, 12:41 PM
I know Dan J, I was over simplifying it to make a point...