PDA

View Full Version : Moose License Draw

zeversab
06-05-2007, 07:59 PM
After reading the recent articles in the newspaper about changing the system of the moose license draw into catagories..A, B and C. I feel their whole system needs to be revamped. I am not sure what the solution would be...but as it stands now..the same people seem to get their moose license year after year. There are some hunters out there who faithfully put their names in for the draw year after year and have never been drawn for a "moose license". People in catagory A...are those who have not been drawn for a license in the past 12 years...and the Dept of Narural Resources...now say these hunters stand a one in six chance of being drawn. My question is.... what about the poor hunter who has never been drawn. I am hoping to get some input on this subject from hunters...as my father who is now 76...has been faithfully putting his name in for over 40 years and has never been drawn for his moose license. He has been an avid hunter all his life...and I feel the clock is ticking for him. I hear some hunters bragging that in 9 moose license draws..they have had their name drawn 7 times out of the nine times. Where is the "fairness" in the present system? Why are so many non resident licenses passed out ...when so many residents have never been drawn for a moose license. A spokes person for Natural Resources says in todays paper.. it would not be a lottery if licenses were handed out to the unfortunate hunters who have never been drawn. Well maybe it is time to get rid of the lottery and come up with a new system which promotes "fairness" to all New Brunswick hunters.

jdcb
06-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Note that it's not a completely random lottery. You can't apply online this year as I heard that last year someone figured out how to apply in such a way at such a time online to guarentee him a moose and it worked.

I agree, there needs to be a system of buckets where the longer you've been waiting, the higher bucket your in. The higher buckets have a more chance than the others. This needs to be based year by year. So if you got a moose last year, you've got a 1/100 shot, but if you haven't for 10 years, you've got 1/5 shot etc...

zeversab
06-05-2007, 10:16 PM
Years ago...if you were lucky enough to get a moose license..you were not allowed to apply again for 5 years. Even that gave New Brunswick hunters better odds as the same people were not getting their licenses over and over again.

jdcb
06-06-2007, 07:55 AM
I don't know if I like the idea of not giving them another chance. Your point is valid, I just don't know if i agree with it. I'm thinking say 1000 get a moose this year (just grabbing an easy #) they can re-apply but only 50 licences will be given to that bucket.

And it shouldn't be measured in how many years since you got your moose, but how many times you've applied since...

Honda Chic
06-06-2007, 10:49 AM
The reason I'm told for the l2 year time span is because Natural Resc. records dont go back any further than that,so if you applied at any time before that they have no record of it..and we are leaving it in there capable hands to make sure our names go into the right catagory,A,B,C.yea right Here is hoping that this draw is run more efficient than other government programs. I also feel that someone that has never been drawn be put into a special draw to have a better chance than someone that already has. As a hunter I dont mind that they have a better chance than I do i've had the good fortune to have at least been picked once for a licence which by the way still puts me into Catagory A so this makes me equal to someone who has never had one doesnt seem far to me. At least I can brag I've gone on a moose hunt.