PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Fishing in the Kennebecasis

Jonny2184
06-05-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm going to fishing offshore in the Kennebecasis and wanted to know if you can bottom fish.
Sorta like the lazy way of fishing where you throw your line out as far as possible and let it sink to the bottom. U propt the rob up next to a rock or something strong and sit and wait.

Has anyone any suggestions how this is done.
I havent a clue but wanted to try...
What kinda of bait would you use??

angelaa
06-05-2007, 02:20 PM
you can buy fresh worms at canadian tire

Jonny2184
06-05-2007, 02:32 PM
you can buy fresh worms at canadian tire

It's salt water fishing, not fresh water.

angelaa
06-05-2007, 02:38 PM
the kennibecasis river is fresh water

Jonny2184
06-05-2007, 02:59 PM
The fish you fish for are mostly salt water fish.
There is a certain % of salt but your right...it's not like the bay of fundy. It does have fresh water in it.
I have gotten a mouth full of it before and it doesnt taste completly fresh.

You don't use a regular worm to catch fish that I'm going for.
If you wanted to use a worm you would use a sea worm or an ell, I would think.

I didn't come here to argue with anyone. I just wanted to know how you go about bottom fishing offshore. Surfcasting...

baits, and hooks, stuff like that. I do have the correct rod for it.

GameGuy
06-05-2007, 08:30 PM
Hola Jim,

By far the best bait you should use is smelt. ( small eels are good too)
Live is better, but dead works too.
Do not use any that are over 6" long.

This is a natural prey in that area and most game fish will not hesitate
to gobble them up (especially stripped bass and salmon)
I have even caught sturgeon with dead smelt.

Oh yeah, expect to nab a large eel or two in that area when bottom fishing.
If you are trolling around in a boat you can also use STORM swim shads.

Smelt can be caught easily with worms on higher incoming and outgoing tides
from a warf area where the SJ river dumps past the harbour bridge on either side of the river.
They can also be caught upstream from reversing falls at the foot of main street and into indian town all the way up to renforth and such.
( you can catch small eels the same way)

All you need is 3 single smaller hooks 8" apart and a bell sinker at the bottom.

Good luck :)

Jonny2184
06-06-2007, 03:06 PM
All you need is 3 single smaller hooks 8" apart and a bell sinker at the bottom.

Good luck :)

Would you use a piece of shrimp as bait to catch the smelt?? probably eh?

Its the food chain.
Shrimp = smelt = bass

girdy
06-07-2007, 09:33 AM
The Kennebecasis is tidal all the way past Hampton, salt water is heavier than fresh water, so what happens is that generally there is layer of fresh water on top, and a layer of salt water on bottom. Also, depending on other factors like wind, there will be a mix of salt and fresh. Depending on where you are fishing (how close to the Bay) and how deep you are fishing, there is going to be a different salt content.

Your post said fishing "offshore", so if you're in the middle of the River and fishing 100 feet of water, it's salt. If you're sitting in a lawn chair at the mouth of the Hammond River and fishing in 5 feet of water, it's fresh.

The Saugeny River in Quebec is similar but with more species, and from the same ice fishing hole in the middle of the River, people catch Walleye in 20 feet of Water and Cod on the bottom.

Regular worms will work for bottom fishing in salt water - they're often used for fishing Flounder. They just don't live very long. Eels and what I've heard referred to as mud worms (you dig them up when clamming) are better, also you might buy some clams at the market and try them. Try and immitate what is already there. As Gameguy says, Smelt is probably best when there are Smelt around.

Woofer
06-07-2007, 04:33 PM
i myself prefer seaworms AKA clamworms, but watch out they give ya a nasty bite if allowed to :) i use them every year in blacks harbour for flounders :)

technical_sneeze
12-30-2007, 12:32 PM
Yes I agree with woofer, seaworms work awsome, and yes it hurts something hellish when they bite, but for flounder they work well, i have found for seabass a whole sardine works well with the hook put in it's mouth and the barbed end coming out of it's rectum ( if you're trawling) other than that bottom dwellers eat pretty much ANYTHING they can put in their mouth that they can eat, ex, hotdogs, bacon, clams, cigarette butts crushed wrinkles..other bottom dwellers...etc etc..but then again I grew up on Grand Manan, what would I know ;)