PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard of bomb threat at KVHS on June 1?

sanstu
05-31-2007, 08:37 PM
I have 2 children that attend KVHS. A talk mail left by the principal said he had been in touch with the district office and the Rothesay Police and that parents should talk to their children, however he didn't say anything about a potential threat. He also said students should attend school tomorrow. My kids said it was about a bomb threat. Does anyone have any info about this. I'm not sure if I want to send my kids to school tomorrow.

kaj27
05-31-2007, 10:13 PM
Heard about it. Someone found a picture on a student's site of the school on fire with the date June 1st on it. (I think)

sarahnb
05-31-2007, 10:23 PM
There was one for Forest Hills for tomorrow. It's been investigated and the police will be at the school.

kaj27
05-31-2007, 10:28 PM
My GOD! Is school really that bad. Kids need a wake up call. Parents need to start doing their JOB!!!

space
06-01-2007, 03:57 AM
we had heard about bayside middle school I think their keeping the kids home today. someone suppose to lite the school on fire.

kaj27
06-01-2007, 06:31 AM
Get the wooden spoons out parents!

dittydottie
06-01-2007, 06:41 AM
you know if the media would not make so much of these incidents then maybe there would not be as many. If one school has a chance to be off today than they are going to make sure they get the same chance. Let's all just hope and pray that all of these are just what they say "threats" not real intents! Man if I ever heard my kids being involved in anyway with these threats I would make them pay big time for it. They are all grown now with kids of their own and I never remember anything like this ever happening.

tred816
06-01-2007, 06:47 AM
Makes me want to home school my kids.

Eremda
06-01-2007, 06:52 AM
Heard about the one at Forest Hills School from the neighbors kids. She is keeping them home today as a precaution.

My kids go to Bayside and no word from that school on any potential threat. No voice mails or anything. I am assuming that Bayside is not one of the schools threatened.

I don't know what I would do? Send them to school or not. I am leaning towards not, after the incident in Fredericton, where a real explosive was found.

tish
06-01-2007, 07:23 AM
Is there other people out there that have rogers home phone and DOESN'T get talk mail from the school...kids go to Forest Hills or is it just me??? Getting info from and 9 and 12 yr old can be frustrating to say the least, never mind different info!!

sarahnb
06-01-2007, 07:59 AM
If you want to recieve voicemail, you have to have aliant.

Woofer
06-01-2007, 08:41 AM
i have aliant but we are new here and forest hills doesnt have us in their system yet. this is our third month in that school and they still havent added us, only news we get is from our 2 kids that goes there, first was the kid with the knife and now this. and like i said my kids have only been in that school going on 3 months makes me kinda wish i didnt move lol.

serialspell
06-01-2007, 09:15 AM
Get the wooden spoons out parents!

I remember the spoons!!!:biggrin: do not agree with it now but it did me good back then

Alabed
06-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Dept. of Education and District 6 and 8 only have voice mail through Aliant as this is who their contracts are with. This is NOT the fault of the schools individually. If you are a ROGERS customer, as long as your children are enrolled in District 8 or 6 schools, you will not get talk mails from the schools. Might be worth becoming an Aliant customer if you want the voicemails (not promoting Aliant, just suggesting if you are frustrated with no talk mail...)
If you are new to a school, like we were last year, we made sure that we were added to the talkmail list the first day we took our kids in. Kind of proactive instead of waiting and then being mad that we do not get the messages. Suggestion, if you call the school and nicley ask them to make sure you are added as you do not seem to be getting the messages, they will happily do it.

kaj27
06-01-2007, 09:54 AM
I remember the spoons!!!:biggrin: do not agree with it now but it did me good back then

I was raised on em too. But I agree, that age has passed.

MissMem
06-01-2007, 11:03 AM
Unfortunately threats against schools aren't new. I graduated from St. Mac's in 2003 and we used to joke about having 5 seasons...fall, winter, spring, summer, and bomb because we got so many bomb threats. Its frustrating even for the students when they have to stand out in the cold just because some idiot thought they were being cool. Never used to find anything thank god. At first it was a big deal and police, fire, etc would all show up and make sure we were all away from th school and then after awhile, only one fire truck and one cop would show up to do the checks. I can only imagine what kind of resources were tied up when we would have like 3 in 2 weeks.

space
06-01-2007, 12:50 PM
If you want to recieve voicemail, you have to have aliant.

were with rogers home phone and we get voicmail from the school periodically.

tish
06-01-2007, 02:32 PM
what school are your kids at??

AreWeThereYetMom
06-01-2007, 10:09 PM
I understand that Voicemail only works from Rogers if they left you a direct message to retrieve on a voicemail service you pay for.
Talkmail is a free Aliant service and is sent by many schools to Aliant customers that register for it.

In my opinion TalkMail should NEVER EVER be used for emergencies and very important communication - only for FYI communication like social events, fundraisers and sporting events and the like.

I've just unplugged my Aliant today. Most talkmail messages I get from school are still in the FYI category anyway - The teachers know how to reach most parents by other means.

I had cell as my only phone for quite a few years, went to Aliant for a couple years - mostly for being advised to utilize talkmail & having a 'kids phone' landline reason... but no longer.

Why can't these schools implement the Home Calling system that will playback the pre-recorded message to the person answering the phone once their system acknowledges that person/machine has picked up.
They are already using it in highschool for absences - it works regardless if you are Aliant, Rogers or whatever. Similar to to www.onecallnow.com. (http://www.isaintjohn.com/classifieds/www.onecallnow.com)

The parent phone tree method works well too! Once activated, the designated classroom parent contact then calls the people on her/his list, who call the room parents and phone tree callers. Then the Room Parents and phone tree callers call parents on their list. Then it escalates to other numbers if the parent is not reached. The parent is also given specific contact numbers of the lead classroom parents should they have heard of any emergency situation.

Alabed
06-01-2007, 10:30 PM
[The parent phone tree method works well too! Once activated, the designated classroom parent contact then calls the people on her/his list, who call the room parents and phone tree callers. Then the Room Parents and phone tree callers call parents on their list. Then it escalates to other numbers if the parent is not reached. The parent is also given specific contact numbers of the lead classroom parents should they have heard of any emergency situation.[/quote]

In response to the above, due to the NEW privacy acts schools are not entitled to release private information to other parents or anyone so there fore they cannot inplement the "parent phone tree method". IF parents wanted to get together and exchange phone numbers and information among each other and take the responsibilty for this type of contact it may be possible. This would have to be a parent initiative because legally schools, teachers, or any professional cannot BY LAW give out this information.

Also, it seems that the school districts ALL use voicemail in this province and across Canada for this type of notice (ie. bomb threat or news, whatever) because this has been deemed the most effective and best way to reach the majority of its clients. What other way would you suggest?? A note....that gets lost on the way home or stuck in a middle schoolers bookbag?? Email is not effective as not all parents have that?? Oh, and calling the media would never be good because they are not interested in getting parents informed, they just want a story.

There is , in my mind, no BEST way to get the news out and no matter what method is used, someone is going to be mad. Aliant,,,Rogers,,,,phone, note whatever.........the main point in my mind is that my kids are safe at school and that the schools are doing the best they can to keep us informed. I mean a few weeks ago the posts on here were complaining that no one told anyone about the kid with the knife and no voicemail was sent and now the complaints are that voice mail should not be used........when will it ever be enough or the right way....never in my mind..

:confused:

AreWeThereYetMom
06-01-2007, 11:45 PM
That privacy act & early warning... I wish the media could also control their privacy about violent student acts

Ah there's that darn Privacy Act thing again - although I have nothing against the rules tied into it, its very positive for all Canadians.

And thanks for the insight; I never would have considered the phone number thing to be affected by that.

Yes, there will always be a gap in the communication methods from schools to parents.
But there is currently a huge gap in the outdated education policies I can’t seem to locate!
Please read another School thread I’ve started -
It contains the link to a Department of Education document of which I got some facts from in my previous post here about the phone tree and communication methods.

Another point that hits home is "The Media" .. I see so many ties in with the revelation of information promoted by the media.
So many times it is apparent the media promotes the student behaviors!!

I am many times displeased with the media promoting and revealing so much disturbing information.
A parent can't even turn the radio on and censor the news from young children who hear of the weird and scary events.

I captured the below information from a Department of Education document.
The Early Warning signs are something I often am very aware of – whether it be my own children, relatives children and even my children’s friends.

Here’s the Link too… The document is a very interesting read
(Sadly it’s outdated though – but please read my other Education Thread on Violence Prevention & Crisis Response in our schools –
Please read it and contact your government for an update!)
http://www.gnb.ca/0000/publications/ss/keepschoolsafe.pdf.

Appendix C: Early Warning

Signs - An Invitation to Help*

Students who are at risk of performing violent
acts often demonstrate behaviors that may serve
as alerts to teachers and parents.

These are students who are in immediate need of
intervention. Observable behaviors may include
- perceived injustice history
- victim of violence/bullying
- fascination/obsessions with weapons
- voluntary exposure to violent media - an
“appetite for violence”
- history of violence towards animals or
destruction of property
- socially isolate, a “loner”
- recent loss or social rejection
- symptoms of depression
- conduct disorders
- has made verbal or other threats

These are characteristics no one should ignore :(

sanstu
06-02-2007, 12:40 PM
My reason for this thread was not the issue of talk mail being used to notify parents, it was the lack of information in the talk mail. At no point was it said that there was a threat, parents were instructed to speak to their children. ( who would have heard through the rumor mill) If parents are going to be notified by the school of an incident it should be a detailed message. I have the right as a parent to make decisions regarding the safety of my children.

kaj27
06-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Oh my god! Stop calling it talk mail! lol

Voice mail! Voice mail!!!

lol

sanstu
06-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Oh my god! Stop calling it talk mail! lol

Voice mail! Voice mail!!!

lol
pg. 26 phone book, TalkMail. (however aliant might change the name just for you!) :rofl:

s4q19
06-04-2007, 08:23 AM
Unfortunately threats against schools aren't new. I graduated from St. Mac's in 2003 and we used to joke about having 5 seasons...fall, winter, spring, summer, and bomb because we got so many bomb threats. Its frustrating even for the students when they have to stand out in the cold just because some idiot thought they were being cool. Never used to find anything thank god. At first it was a big deal and police, fire, etc would all show up and make sure we were all away from th school and then after awhile, only one fire truck and one cop would show up to do the checks. I can only imagine what kind of resources were tied up when we would have like 3 in 2 weeks.

And the people doing the threats will be the first to complain about higher tax payouts because of all the tied up resources.

I agree, parents need to start minding their kids better, but at the same time, parents have to be very carefull what they do. You can barely spank a kid now without fear of another parent hearing about it and calling child services on you. It's sick. Sure, there are other way's to discipline a kid, yes, but sometimes a good slap on the arse is what the kid really needs. I'm not an abusive parent, don't worry, I don't even have kids.. lol... but I'm no stranger to a red behind, and it never hurt me in the long run.