PDA

View Full Version : Trap Warnings

Eremda
12-27-2006, 08:30 PM
To all pet owners who may let their dogs off leash in the gravel pits behind
Champlain Heights. On Christmas eve my dog was caught in a leg snare just off the main pathway through this pit. Fortunately the wire of the snare was about the grade of a coat hanger and did not cut through his skin although it did tighten around his hind leg. I pulled the trap free from whatever anchored it but the dog couldn't walk. I had to leave him in the woods and run home for wire cutters. He did not seem to struggle at all and simply lay down and waited the 30 minutes it took me to get back. We were able to free him with minimal trouble and he was fine except for a very red mark on his leg.

Upon further investigation we discovered several more different types of traps and snares in the area nearby. One type we discovered was called a "coon bucket" whereby if the raccoon or other animal puts their head in the bucket where the bait is placed a type of trap shuts around their head and breaks their neck. There was a dead raccoon in that one. Further along the line we found a trapped porcupine. At that point we left, I had seen enough.

My first reaction was that this activity must surely be illegal in city limits. After checking with Natural Resources I found this was not the case. Trapping in city limits is perfectly legal, as long as the trapper is licensed and uses legal traps and follows rules for trappers. Signs do not have to be posted warning pet owners or hikers.

I know that I am one of many who let their dogs run here, so if you could pass this on to everyone I would appreciate it.

By the way the "coon bucket" trap will kill your dog before you can try to free him. The ranger said I would need bolt cutters to free him and that even then he would probably die before you could cut him free.

I always carry wire cutters in the Winter for rabbit snares, but since there was no snow I did not have them with me yet. Never again! A cell phone would have also been handy. I would not have had to leave the dog alone in the woods to go for help.

Also the trap my dog was caught in was according to the ranger set for coyotes, which in all the times we have roamed those woods we have never seen. I also wonder what would a trapper do if he did catch a coyote or a deer in that snare? It would be very much alive and kicking.

The ranger also warned against anyone going along the trap line and cutting the wires or setting off the traps as we would be breaking the law. If I had found the guy who set the trap that snared my dog I know which law I would have broken.

Anyway pass this on and always carry your wire cutters.

Thanks

puppyluv
01-12-2007, 07:38 AM
This thread has been closed and all posts but the initial warning one has stayed.
It has been hijacked so many times and turned into nasty bickering.