PDA

View Full Version : Old North End Troubles

Tammy C
05-30-2007, 09:31 AM
What do you think of ONE Change? I just want to say for the record that if it wasn't for myself, Tammy Calvin, there would not be any progress going on in the Old North End. 3 1/2 years ago, I decided that enough was enough with this area of the city. Nobody was doing anything about the deplorable housing conditions, drug dealing to the neighborhood children, property destruction, lack of entertainment etc.

I challenged the neighborhood and city into action, told the local drug dealers off about leaving the kids alone, had my windows put out for my efforts and yet, I still stayed and made positive changes into a neighborhood that I love.

Now that I have made an incredible amount of progress to a neighborhood that nobody else would do anything to, the board of directors for ONE Change has replaced me with someone that doesn't live in this area. Why, so they can take credit for what one single woman with a very big mouth and a lot of motivation has done.

This was not what ONE Change was started for. I wanted ONE Change to be something positive for the residents of the Old North End, something that they would take pride in and want to get involved in. Who wants to be involved with a group of people that don't live in the area, don't really want the say from residents and want to take credit for what others have done? ONE Change was supposed to have the motto For Us By Us. This means for the residents by the residents.

North End residents should ask themselves this, "When do you ever see anyone but Tammy doing anything for the neighborhood"? When do you ever see any other ONE Change board members walking through the neighborhood. Not unless there is a camera around to impress!!!

Improving the Old North End includes building up the self esteem in the residents. ONE Change should be run by the residents, not by outsiders. Something that started in the Old North End, should be run by Old North Enders.

Feel free to contact me at home @ 696-0861 to discuss anything that I have written.

Tammy Calvin

ksbeckaa
05-30-2007, 10:46 AM
that sucks tammy. i know you tried very very hard, and put up with alot of abuse....

Tammy C
05-30-2007, 11:22 AM
Apparently I tried too hard and brought too much attention to the Old North End and now outsiders think they can do a better job. By outsiders, I mean people on the ONE Change board that are only trying to get themselves ahead. I was trying to get the Old North End ahead and nobody else.

That is why my Motto was "For Us By Us". Not for us by outsiders! The shame of it is that I have brought them all of this attention from my actions.

I guess I can now know what the "Real World" is like. Corrupt!!!!

Nail
05-30-2007, 11:45 AM
Ahhh...the old FUBU vs FUBO debate. You have to realize that some people might have fresh new ideas to help out. You said you have worked so hard over the years but the North End hasn't changed much. If you are worried about this new team not fixing things, don't get angry and "diss" them, try and help them out. If you want the North End changed, you'd be willing to try new strategies. I, for one, am sick of what happens there.

Tammy C
05-30-2007, 12:12 PM
From the beginning, I was the one that went through the neighborhood going door-to-door to get people involved, went to the policitians, the city, police, churches, schools, businesses and not only did I gather everyone together, I showed example by doing my part over and over again. There are tons of positive changes going through the Old North End that I am responsible for. From the beginning of ONE Change, it has been me trying to get people involved, hosting community events, picking up garbage and leading by example.

Where were the outsiders 4 years ago when nothing positive was going on in this area? Why didn't they decide to do something to improve the quality of life to the Old North End? Why, because they don't live in the area and didn't care what happened to it. But guess who did do something to improve the quality of life, it was me. Take a walk through the neighborhood and ask anyone, they will tell you who has been responsible for the positive changes going on.

Now that ONE Change has power, the outsiders are pushing the residents down and taking over. This is not about fresh ideas because everything positive going on in the Old North End is happening because residents like me stood up and made the changes happen by voicing my opinions and showing action.

You can't work with people that want to take over. I tried but ended up burning out from trying to make them inform the residents and include the residents. You see, letting the residents run the show takes away from their glory of see what I did for you rather than see what we did for ourselves.

I tried working with them to make the changes, however they decided that they knew better than little ole me and stopped informing me of what was going on.

Nail
05-30-2007, 12:20 PM
You've asked for help and now it's there. You should be glad because you worked to get it. Is there a way you can be happy if they only do things their way?

trinity
05-30-2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the heads up about ever moving to the North End-not a chance now if the people there can't keep it together with all the work that has been put into it, I guess the North End deserves the reputation it has....

adm
05-30-2007, 04:08 PM
It sounds to me like you might be a little bit narrow minded and not really willing to work with anyone. Everything you have written has been 'me..me..me'.

Not that what you've been doing probably hasn't been in the best interest of your cause, but you seem to be tooting your own horn quite self-righteously. Maybe you need to be willing to work WITH someone, and not trying to do everything yourself to make sure that you're getting all of the pats on the back that you seem to think you deserve. (like telling off drug dealers? I think we have law enforcement for that?) If you're doing something for a good cause, you can't expect people to stop what they're doing to build you a podium so that they can bow at your feet. Take two steps back and evaluate how people may be reading you. Just from a couple of postings, you don't sound like a great team player to me.

What are you really fighting for? Is it the North End, or is it for someone to give you the applause you feel you deserve. If your motives are sincere, everything else will come.

eagallant
05-30-2007, 04:51 PM
I have to commend ONE Change for getting legally incorporated and having the area put in the news. As for Tammy's comments, yes, she may have been the instigator of the process and I'm surprised they voted her out. I tried repeatedly but ONE Change was cold hard not up to Change and wanted no outside help what-so-ever. They had a little click of individuals and wouldn't allow outsiders (from North End or elsewhere) in. So, personally, I'm glad that they are expanding and opening up. As a homeowners and with bringing up family in the area, I'm glad to see that they have acknowledged that they have limited resources within their ranks and to expand. I gave up trying to be part of the process but now I may have to reconsider.
Change is a good thing and expanding the group is a huge step. I'm sorry Tammy had her feelings hurt in the process - that never feels good. But I'm glad for the neighborhood that they are expanding.

Pumpkin
05-30-2007, 05:47 PM
WAY TO GO TAMMY BIG PAT ON THE BACK FROM ME!!!!

It may sound like Tammy is all about me this and it was me who did that and yadda yadda yadda, but you people who are writing these things against her obviously do not know the work this woman ALONE has done! You who made the remarks.. what have you done? Tell us pleae!

Did you go out of your way and make sure that over 200 pairs of childrens brand new pajamas were donated by various organizations to the children of the old north end for the cold winter. Did you go door to door for donations of gifts for the adults of old north end. Did you start a mother's day dinner and make sure each mother had a nice basket for the mothers of the Old North End? THis doesn't even begin to open the book of selfless acts that Tammy has done to improve the lifestyle for the residents of the old north end. I don't know everything as these are only things that have been talked about around me. I do not know Tammy from a hole in the ground but have only heard of her through the kind things she has gone out of her way to do for the people in her neighbourhood.

And, I find it almost embarrassing that peple could be so ignorant, and push someone that truly cares about her neighbourhood out the door in hopes that they would get the credit for it. As far as I'm concerned Tammy should have only been pushed to the top of the Board seeing as she is true hearted in this unlike some of you who are weaseling your way in to take the credit for someone else's work. People like you deserve to have their butts thrown out the door!!! Your not there to help or for the sake of the people, you are there for yourself and for recognition for what you DIDN'T do and should be ashamed of yourselves.

Tammy, I would like to say to you that YOU ARE recognized by a few people that i know of and I am sure others as well and maybe they are afraid to say so. This is for the people of North End not the people trying to run the show!

I may not be from Old North End or any where in the North end, but your name has reached my ears Tammy. Good for you, keep up the good work and don't you let any of those *removed*set you back!!!

The_Dave
05-31-2007, 08:56 AM
All I hear is , me me me me me, You have done some good work but you should accept the help. No man is a Island, or woman. Outsiders as you call them, have other avenues to help. Accept the help! God knows north end needs it.

Rickster
05-31-2007, 10:40 AM
You really want to help these people then encourage them to get back in school and get an education That seems to be the biggest part of the problem that no one sees. You have a LOT of uneducated people in that area with no better than a grade 8-10 education and really don't know any better. Babys having babies and thinking that they are adults now go out and get an apartment from a landlord who cares of no more than his/her rent(not what kind of people are in his/her building). These younger 'parents' still have their 'teenage ways' (Don't care about anyone other then theirselves) and teenage friends that soon have a new party place. These same parents in turn are raisiing their children with the same immature attitude that their parents raised them with and in turn the cycle continues. Yea the biggest problem here is education and community awareness as to what 'help' is available to them out there.But then again,you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink unless he's thirsty.To these people they are only living in the lifestyle that they were raised in and the sad part is that unless We can break the cycle with education and much needed programs then it will always be the same whether it be north-end,south-end or where-ever.You can't blame the kids if they have parents that are still behaving like 'kids'. - Rick.

ksbeckaa
05-31-2007, 11:15 AM
well said Rickster

Pumpkin
05-31-2007, 11:35 AM
I'll agree with that 100%, but just to be clear before anyone jumps the gun, that is not to label the north end, these types of parents are all over the place! But I will agree that they should be educated and something needs to change or the "thug wannabe" lifestyles SOME of these kids lead will forever continue down their bloodlines and those around them.

The thing is, the people have to want to change or they won't.... you think people would want more for their children, but I guess there are some who don't sadly.

trinity
05-31-2007, 11:56 AM
I think part of the problem is that landlords are not necessarily as discerning in some areas- my friend's mother has a house on the west side and she will leave her apartment vacant for MONTHS until she finds someone she wants in there, it isn't just a money grab for her, she actually puts some thought into who will FIT in her house, on her street.
That said, back to topic. I was seriously considering a move to the North End a few months ago, I wanted a larger apartment and no one seemed to have what I was looking for uptown or east. I've been following the posts and events from ONE Change since they started, I thought maybe with ONE Change going, it might mean the North End was on the upswing, but if it has fallen apart, I'm staying put.

The_Dave
05-31-2007, 07:28 PM
North End is NO different than any other part of town. Just get an alarm system. I live North and have one and would never live anywhere without one. I really like it here.

eagallant
06-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Hi, trinity.
ONE Change may be going through some changes but the neighborhood isn't. We need more family, adults and good people to make our community prosper.
Elizabeth

cuddles2007
06-01-2007, 08:06 PM
i Have lived in the north end all my life .(I'm 20) .And i really don't think the ONE change is working at all. I know at least 10 drug dealers in the north end alone. my mom rented from Philip huggard 2 times and both times there was UN rented apt in the building he could have fixed up. 43 Albert st the bottom 2 apt are fixed up the the rest of the building is blocked off. He owns half of the apt in the north end what he has to do , is if he knows there are drug dealers or people who party etc... kick them out and don't rent to them!But to him it money in his pocket. I will never rent from him And alot of it is the young kids having kids ! and parents who just dont care what their kids do.

eagallant
06-02-2007, 09:36 AM
I hear you Cuddles and completely understand what you're saying. I'm hoping with new development in the area, that the Huggard style landlords will be put out of business.

But that is a separate issue and I also agree that I don't see a huge difference or any difference in the area with One Change. The PJ, etc. mentioned in a previous post are certainly fabulous and affect people on a personal level. That is part of changing the area. But now One Change is no longer about a single woman helping needy in a community. Once the "others" got involved, it became a corporation. This means it is an entity unto itself and not longer an extension of good intentioned people wanting to make peoples lives a little better. Now it is a legal, non-profit entity. At this level it is greatly expected that great things will change. We should see great movement. We've seen absolutely none of that. There are no more police presence. The community police station has zero affect on the drug dealers openly doing what they are doing. The City Works Dept still only collects garbage bi-weekly in a community that few compost. Irving isn't pressured to clean, maintain & develop the old Forum lot. Building inspector isn't being pressured to fine slum landlords. etc.

I know Tammy's feelings are very hurt and mine would be as well. She created something and it out grew her abilities - like a child going to college. Now One Change has left college and it better start contributing to society.

The new member that is not from the area, what do they do in their regular life? Maybe they have a skill that will push One Change to the next level. If so, Tammy, be proud of what you created. Be proud that it went as far as it did. That is a huge accomplishment!! HUGE!! How many other local ladies in any community feel and react to injustice and get a corporation with assets (again another big, big deal) out of it.

Tammy you did a great thing. Pressure them to keep your baby growing but not in the nasty, defensive mode first expressed here. Do it with the same integrity and drive you used to develop it in the first place. You deserve that.

Got to go walk me dogs.
Elizabeth

Tammy C
06-04-2007, 09:31 AM
The issue with ONE Change is not about hurt feelings it is about neighborhood empowerment. Do you really believe that these outsiders have the best interest of old north enders? How could they when at the end of the day, they go out to their homes in Millidgville? How can they relate to the poverty issues within the Old North End? Do you think they really care about the people that live in this area? ONE Change has received the attention of the entire city because of one thing, “Resident Empowerment.” There are many positive changes going throughout the neighborhood, new sidewalks, new light at the corner of Adelaide/Newman Street, new low income apartment building on the bottom of Main Street, and Teen Health Clinic. These are all things that came about because residents have requested them.

Now that ONE Change has been incorporated the only change you will see is that residents have less voice. Do you think this is going to empower people? Change happens slowly and with much resistance. The way to improve the quality of life is through community involvement, if the community has no voice, why would the community want to get involved? The old north end is the way it is because it has been neglected by these very outsiders that are now taking over. Do you really trust them over someone that actually lives in the neighborhood and tried to get residents involved? Do you think these board members are going to deliver flyers and make sure that every person is kept informed of what is going on in the neighborhood? Do you think these board members are going to have the best interest of the residents and worry to keep things affordable? Do you think they are going to host community events that include everyone in the community?

You are right that the police are not doing enough of their job! Want to know why, because a resident with a big mouth stopped nagging them to do their job. It is now up to ONE Change to tell the police that things need improved. Do you think these board members that don’t live in the neighborhood are going to worry about the neighborhood enough to demand the police into action? Outsiders are needed to assist with the running of the board, but most decision making should still involve the residents.

When you stop and look at what ONE Change has accomplished you will note that it is because of the resident drive. I only hope that those outsiders have as much drive... They are going to need it to fill my shoes.